Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I thought I understood this whole Threshold thing but now I'm confused again. Kate is taking the dead Genoshan souls back in time to create Threshold in the first place, but...doesn't Threshold inevitably end up getting destroyed anyway? So Kate is taking a genocided population and making it so they can...get genocided again? v:raise:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Dawgstar posted:

Who's he talking to? Marrow?

Yeah, that’s a Marrow/Feral/Chamber story from X-Men Unlimited on the app

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

I thought I understood this whole Threshold thing but now I'm confused again. Kate is taking the dead Genoshan souls back in time to create Threshold in the first place, but...doesn't Threshold inevitably end up getting destroyed anyway? So Kate is taking a genocided population and making it so they can...get genocided again? v:raise:v

I gave up on Marauders a while ago and I think at this point I'm just gonna wait for this whole run to be done and then read a plot summary somewhere

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

real loving shame the second half of marauders is as bad as the first part was good

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Storm and the Brotherhood was interesting. They got the Moira clones but aren't going to reset the timeline. They also could be on the way to making a Dominion. So it turns out we have to root for Sinister to get things back the way they should be.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cant belive theyre doing a Trixie Slaughteraxe

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

TwoPair posted:

I gave up on Marauders a while ago and I think at this point I'm just gonna wait for this whole run to be done and then read a plot summary somewhere

I think this was the last issue? It was eh. A few okay character moments. Brimstone Love plot just gets dropped like a sack of hammers, never really getting off the ground. Unlike X-Force, which might have been secret genius all along, Marauders was just kind of a slog. I really liked the cast. Too bad.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I appreciate Ewing finally pointing out in text that Moira's resets murder incalculable sentient beings. I was pointing this out after X Lives of Moira...

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Do Moira's deaths actually end those timelines? I always thought she just "reincarnated" into a different timeline, and Sinister's hijacking of her powers was a way for him to gain the extra foresight/experience that afforded her.

That's part of what makes him the actual protagonist of this arc, because poo poo is already hosed for the rest of the Sinisterverse, but if he can get back to his save point on Krakoa he'll probably be a little more helpful/less insidious for at least a short time (alternately, he manages to make it back safely and is then murdered and replaced by another, less harrowed-by-the-atrocities-he-hath-wrought Sinister clone)

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 23, 2023

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Early in the Krakoa story, Hickman confirmed that she doesn't create separate timelines. Previous Moiras were all 616. This is just 616-X.

When she revealed herself to Chuck, his response should have been, "gotta find some smart indigenous guy to build some kind of gun to stop this psycho."

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
All that said, I 100% expect Marvel to retcon this so the Xmen can have adventures in Life VI or something.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Absolutely. Age of Apocalypse and Days of Future Past were meant to be changing the 'real' timeline, not just divergences, but they've long since been retconned into alternate earths.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I think this was the last issue? It was eh. A few okay character moments. Brimstone Love plot just gets dropped like a sack of hammers, never really getting off the ground. Unlike X-Force, which might have been secret genius all along, Marauders was just kind of a slog. I really liked the cast. Too bad.

There's one more. Each of the SoS series are three issues, with each being +10, +100, and +1000. This was the last of the +100 issues.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think they're talking about Marauders, which does indeed end this week.

Speaking of, Storm and the Brotherhood was phenomenal this week. Ewing has not missed a single swing this run.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Did they ever explain why Kate can't use the gates? I suppose it could be brought up in another book if Marauders is over.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I think it's going to be a Duggan story, wherever it winds up being told. The last movement on it afaik was her reaching out to Reed Richards in the last issue of his Marauders.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Cant belive theyre doing a Trixie Slaughteraxe

Thorsby would have so much fun coming up with new Sinister chimeras

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I am watching "The Phoenix Saga" on my dvd's of the 90s tv show and beast seemed so happy go lucky back then. My how times have changed.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I am watching "The Phoenix Saga" on my dvd's of the 90s tv show and beast seemed so happy go lucky back then. My how times have changed.

Yeah, that version of Beast is a completely different character altogether. Hank McCoy has been a creep since the very first issue of Uncanny X-Men in the 60's.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah, that version of Beast is a completely different character altogether. Hank McCoy has been a creep since the very first issue of Uncanny X-Men in the 60's.

To be fair every guy is a creep in that issue, except I think oddly enough, Scott?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Actually, Iceman is the only of the original X-Men to not go all cartoon wolf at the sight of Jean Gray in the first issue of X-Men. Which was used (I think tongue in cheek?) as part of the fan-made-official canon of him being gay.

I still think it's a little ahistorical to claim "Hank McCoy has been a creep from day one" based on a few sexist lines written in the early 1960s, because it ignores hundreds of comics spanning three or four decades where he is not written as a total creep before the last decade or so of precipitous decline.

Using Superdickery rules pretty much every character created before 1980 (or possibly later) has evidence to prove they're a sexist/misogynist/bigoted monster, but people don't generally pull out random panels to point out how it's completely in character for Superman/Peter Parker/Cyclops/Captain America/John Stewart/Ben Grimm/Storm/Mary Jane Watson getting portrayed as a real piece of poo poo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s because they stopped sucking while Beast has only sucked more.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"The Boisterous Blue Beast" was definitely a thing but I don't think for as long as people imagine, possibly because some/most of their memories were of him in the cartoon. Heck, for a chunk of X-Factor he's got that condition before Hank turns blue again where the more he uses his super-strength the dumber he gets.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'm tired of hearing people cry every other week about how remember when Beast was fun, maaaaaaan? when Beast has always been a lovely little weirdo who i hate, but you dont see me cryin about my boy Piotr Rasputin being written as a self-pitying emotionally abusive rear end in a top hat for the better part of 2 decades

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Alaois posted:

I'm tired of hearing people cry every other week about how remember when Beast was fun, maaaaaaan? when Beast has always been a lovely little weirdo who i hate, but you dont see me cryin about my boy Piotr Rasputin being written as a self-pitying emotionally abusive rear end in a top hat for the better part of 2 decades

Matthew 7:3.

I'm wondering if XMTAS Beast influenced the way he is in the Fox movies, or if it's an example of, pardon the pun, parallel evolution. They don't really bear much resemblance to comics Hank. He's obviously a smart guy, and kind of a cultured one, but nowhere near the thespian he's portrayed as in other media.

I grew up watching XMTAS, but not in any kind of order, just random episodes here and there. I ran through a bit of it on a plane several years ago and for 1992, they were really going for it. The first season is a fairly-connected story arc, the second episode has a "PREVIOUSLY ON X-MEN" section that rivals the recaps on late-season Game of Thrones episodes, and one of the seasons is pretty much just Phoenix/Dark Phoenix. It's neat that X-Men is such a resilient concept that it warps children's TV around it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Alaois posted:

It hasn't always been handled with a deft hand in terms of writing, but there's something oddly compelling about the realism present in seeing Colossus go from a bright eyed naive farmboy to a bitter, depressed, washout after being put through the superhero wringer for the majority of his adult life

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Sabertooth and the Exiles was kinda a miss for me overall, now that it's done. It had so much potential and maybe it'll read better in trade, but it just seemed to be going in 400 different directions and never really stuck with one long enough to make me care. I wish it had been better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it hit a reset button on nanny, so i'm not a fan. she's great when she has to actually interact with people. she sucks when she's a throwaway villain.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I have zero interest in alternate universe Creeds that are all evil. It's been proven time and again that Sabretooth is only interesting when he's trying to be a hero.

Gonna pass on Sabretooth verse or whatever the next thing is.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

I have zero interest in alternate universe Creeds that are all evil. It's been proven time and again that Sabretooth is only interesting when he's trying to be a hero.

Gonna pass on Sabretooth verse or whatever the next thing is.

Sabertooth is also interesting when he's bouncing off of other people that hate him and he's forced to be on a team with. But yeah, Creed and the Other Creeds is a story I have zero interest in. Particularly if they're going to troll Wolverine on his birthday, because as we all know Wolverine/Sabertooth interactions peaked years ago.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It does feel like the concept of a villain having to deal with alternate versions of himself has been a bit overcooked right now, what with Sinister's whole thing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I wouldn't mind seeing where things would go next if that ending had stuck its landing. It didn't, it felt rushed and anticlimactic. Shame, because I had really enjoyed LaValle's run up until recently, but it is what it is.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
all victor creeds are evil is dumb, anyway. creed's not intrinsically a monster, but rather because he chooses to be again and again. the most popular the character has ever been was the aoa version. that one has the exact same origin and first ~100 years of life as 616, because aoa is the same as 616 until the divergence point.

now that i think about it, this was pretty much a reset button for sabertooth too. sure, he has new allies and resources, but he's back to being a roving bad guy whose primary motivation is loving with logan. boring, boring, boring.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
We don’t know that all Creeds are evil, the majority of Creeds he is with are decapitated corpses.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MonsterEnvy posted:

We don’t know that all Creeds are evil, the majority of Creeds he is with are decapitated corpses.

True, but like, even when the one who is is Captain America is an rear end in a top hat, you're really leaning towards saying"Creed loving sucks" as a multiversal constant.

(I know Captain Americas can suck too but generally when one pops up its like, "okay here's an upstanding dude".)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Alaois posted:

Well, you'd be right to complain about that. We deserve better writing for both these characters.

Beast was really cool in the 70s and like the early 90s, nobody can deny that. How about that Spider-Man (Larsen) issue he's in and whatnot.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I strongly disagree that the most popular Sabertooth has ever been was AoA. I lived through 90's X-Men fandom.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Some Fall of X stuff was announced. They put out a teaser with some titles that haven't been announced:

Also Kate is gonna be joining the X-Men and is getting a new costume and codename.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is it going to be Skywalker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

it's spelled with a K now, SEO is massively improved