Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

“win the game early by not having to play any more"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Or “Wtgebnhtpam” for ease

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
happy to see that leperfish was completely clueless about what mafia is but now innately understands mafia players hatred for playing mafia

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I prefer puppycuddle.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

happy to see that leperfish was completely clueless about what mafia is but now innately understands mafia players hatred for playing mafia

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

At the end of the day it's a game that centers around the extrajudicial killing of mostly innocents based on wild accusations, but it's also just a dumb party game, not an endorsement of behavior. You can play Monopoly without endorsing the problems caused by capitalism, or enjoy a Batman movie while recognizing vigilante justice is bad.

We can avoid specific terminology that is very obviously problematic like "lynch", but don't think we have to dig all that deep beyond that

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm gonna go with "moidah," like someone saying murder in a thick Brooklyn accent

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

i'm going to say the l word

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
lmao

A bunch of people who don't play Mafia anymore boosting up an IK who almost never plays Mafia anymore

Who the gently caress are all you people?? Ecco has... what, run one game in the last year? Most of you I've never even seen before?

An admin comes in and literally says "I never have any reports about the Mafia threads" - maybe that means we don't need to screw with the current setup by giving IK powers to someone who's disconnected from the actual goings on of Mafia in 2023?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Why do you care? Why does it matter if Ecco has run games in the last year? Ecco is incredibly prolific when it comes to both running and playing games. Just because they're not actively running a game at this moment doesn't mean they're not the best person for the job.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My Second Re-Reg posted:

lmao

A bunch of people who don't play Mafia anymore boosting up an IK who almost never plays Mafia anymore

Who the gently caress are all you people?? Ecco has... what, run one game in the last year? Most of you I've never even seen before?

An admin comes in and literally says "I never have any reports about the Mafia threads" - maybe that means we don't need to screw with the current setup by giving IK powers to someone who's disconnected from the actual goings on of Mafia in 2023?

Lol ##vote My Second Re-Reg

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

That post was to egregious it made me want to play mafia again

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
Yes, I do happen to think that someone in a leadership position should actually be at least somewhat visible and active in the community they're charged with leading.

Maybe Ecco was a powerhouse mafia player/runner at one point, but that's no longer the case. And if we're going to go the needless route of getting an IK for Mafia, I'd rather it be someone who is actually active in Mafia in the year 2023.

Again: A whole bunch of people in this thread that I've never even heard of before boosting up somebody who I've only almost never heard of before. It's pretty silly.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you never herad of the famous snooze cruise...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I got the impression the primary role of an IK for mafia would be opening and closing threads as part of the way the game works, and maybe renaming or moving threads too. No?

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Ecco may or may not be the best person for the job. I don't know her directly, so I can't be sure either way.

However, it weirds me out that she has been so adamant on getting it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Again: A whole bunch of people in this thread that I've never even heard of before boosting up somebody who I've only almost never heard of before. It's pretty silly.

Maybe that's because you've been playing Mafia here for less than a year.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

this is now the mafia thread i remember

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I got the impression the primary role of an IK for mafia would be opening and closing threads as part of the way the game works, and maybe renaming or moving threads too. No?

The people running the games open and close their own thread

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Leperflesh posted:

Game mods (the people running the games, not to be confused with forum moderators) do that. There's not really any game-mechanical need for an IK.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

I got the impression the primary role of an IK for mafia would be opening and closing threads as part of the way the game works,
this part isn't really needed since OPs can close and open their own threads

quote:

and maybe renaming or moving threads too. No?
tbh this is probably the only thread that would need moving (up one level to TG) or renaming (for funny thread titles)

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

I had the impression that there was a push for an IK as kind of "neutral party" in the case that there was drama or if people were made uncomfortable by something. In which case, I think a player with a long history in this community as well as a knowledge of habits and trends would be best - and if that's the case, Ecco seems like a natural fit.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Leperflesh posted:

Pinterest Mom posted:

The people running the games open and close their own thread

Yeah. Sometimes a thread needs renaming (or someone accidentally labels it as "shitpost"), but it's rare, and I don't think we need an IK just for that.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Yes, I do happen to think that someone in a leadership position should actually be at least somewhat visible and active in the community they're charged with leading.

Maybe Ecco was a powerhouse mafia player/runner at one point, but that's no longer the case. And if we're going to go the needless route of getting an IK for Mafia, I'd rather it be someone who is actually active in Mafia in the year 2023.

Shut up loser

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
since its a start of a new mafia era i think someone should give mr. f a new avatar

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Mordiceius posted:

Maybe that's because you've been playing Mafia here for less than a year.

And somehow that makes me less qualified to voice an opinion on the subject than people who haven't been playing Mafia for the last year?

All these names I've never heard of before coming in and saying "Mafia is back, baybee!!"? Mafia was never gone. It never died. You just left.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Make me an IK so I can give this guy some sixers

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

My Second Re-Reg posted:

And somehow that makes me less qualified to voice an opinion on the subject than people who haven't been playing Mafia for the last year?

All these names I've never heard of before coming in and saying "Mafia is back, baybee!!"? Mafia was never gone. It never died. You just left.

what the, lmao

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

My Second Re-Reg posted:

I think everyone should take a deep breath and then keep that breath inside and shut up

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. F! posted:

I think everyone should take a deep breath and then keep that breath inside and shut up

Go ahead, keep screaming "shut the gently caress up" at me, it only makes my opinions worse

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

My Second Re-Reg posted:

You keep saying things like this is needless, and maybe you're right! But also, this recent explosion of activity was caused by an event that a lot of people didnt want to talk about because there was someone important in the community that shouldn't have been. Having an IK is probably unnecessary but multiple people seem to think it's a good idea given, well, all of this, so why fight it so much? I have seen I think two probations in-game, so it's almost a certainty the buttons will never be clicked.

Start from the premise multiple members of the community want an IK (and even if we didn't, the mods and admins seem to think it's worth exploring because of everything that's happened) and that it's basically harmless so we're going to do it. Who would you nominate? We have already ruled out Sandwolf, probably the most obvious choice, because, given everything else, it is probably a bad idea to have someone in that position here on the forums that is also in that position where they have direct control of one of the two mafia discords.

I think having someone who Cares About Mafia without necessarily being Super Active is fine. Ecco is active in one of the discords and is around the mafia community enough to understand the culture of the place without being in two games already and going "I am too busy in the games I am playing to go press the button the once in five year it is necessary to do so." The whole point is to have someone that is good to go to if an issue arises so having someone who knows the community but isn't always in games makes sense.

I'm fine if it's not Ecco. But if not Ecco, who? Like I say, I think most people would nominate Sandwolf, but again, this was all caused by concentration of power so we should probably avoid that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
has mafia adopted the art form of "kayfabe" while i wasn't paying attention to this thread or is re-reg just like this?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

My Second Re-Reg posted:

lmao

As someone who has been active in mafia on these forums for at least 10 years now and is still active as of 2023.

This is a bunch of bologna.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jose Valasquez posted:

Go ahead, keep screaming "shut the gently caress up" at me, it only makes my opinions worse

Lmao

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Snooze Cruise posted:

since its a start of a new mafia era i think someone should give mr. f a new avatar

Yes please I’m going to have to turn off Avs at work again otherwise

Actually I’ll do it tonight if no one else will. Quote this post with your best suggestion for Mr F’s new avatar

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I think I’ve only seen like one or two probations across like hundreds of games I played in (and one was because I reported someone for a post they made outside of the game so they’d get probated cause they were annoying me)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

chaoslord posted:

You keep saying things like this is needless, and maybe you're right! But also, this recent explosion of activity was caused by an event that a lot of people didnt want to talk about because there was someone important in the community that shouldn't have been. Having an IK is probably unnecessary but multiple people seem to think it's a good idea given, well, all of this, so why fight it so much? I have seen I think two probations in-game, so it's almost a certainty the buttons will never be clicked.

Start from the premise multiple members of the community want an IK (and even if we didn't, the mods and admins seem to think it's worth exploring because of everything that's happened) and that it's basically harmless so we're going to do it. Who would you nominate? We have already ruled out Sandwolf, probably the most obvious choice, because, given everything else, it is probably a bad idea to have someone in that position here on the forums that is also in that position where they have direct control of one of the two mafia discords.

I think having someone who Cares About Mafia without necessarily being Super Active is fine. Ecco is active in one of the discords and is around the mafia community enough to understand the culture of the place without being in two games already and going "I am too busy in the games I am playing to go press the button the once in five year it is necessary to do so." The whole point is to have someone that is good to go to if an issue arises so having someone who knows the community but isn't always in games makes sense.

I'm fine if it's not Ecco. But if not Ecco, who? Like I say, I think most people would nominate Sandwolf, but again, this was all caused by concentration of power so we should probably avoid that.

Regardless of whatever re-reg's problem is, "Mafia had an IK that really didn't do anything but ended up abusing their position of power" is not a good argument for why we need another IK from the Mafia community. There's really not much for an IK to do, just list a few people in the OP of every game who are good resources to talk to if someone feels uncomfortable with anything at all and recommend escalation to SA mods if there's a problem that isn't adequately resolved by that. No need for someone to have buttons for any of that

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

CapitalistPig posted:

As someone who has been active in mafia on these forums for at least 10 years now and is still active as of 2023.

This is a bunch of bologna.

If not ecco I nominate Cpig

And/or birdstrike

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

chaoslord posted:

Yes please I’m going to have to turn off Avs at work again otherwise

Actually I’ll do it tonight if no one else will. Quote this post with your best suggestion for Mr F’s new avatar

Sorry, FYAD did it. Maybe I should ask them for a new avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

my second reeeee-reg