Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Joe Slowboat posted:

Yeah, this is what bothers me. This feels like a huge stretch for something we haven’t seen Annie discuss at all, and this would be a great time/place for that discussion, but instead we just skip to the conclusion - something the comic didn’t do for the whole “going to a place without ether” “make of that what you will” conversation.

This would have been a cool place for the psychopomps to show up and have an argument over the fate of Kat's soul, possibly raising her potential status as a goddess at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

kat did just upload her consciousness to a magical extradimensional computer, showing no apparent concern that her actual physical body collapsed, so it doesn't seem entirely unwarranted to speculate that she might transcend the fleshy limitations of the human form in some way, especially given zimmy's premonition that something very bad was going to happen re: kat

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Do we know for certain that Kat's robots can impact the ether? I know it's a pretty safe assumption that if they can't now, they will be able to eventually, but I don't recall anything in the actual text confirming that they have that ability yet.

When the fleshy boat died we caught the glimpse of machine goddess kat

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Darth TNT posted:

I think Annie did realize what she saw, but everything looks different in the ether, so why would this specifically be bad. Or need her to take any action? It’s not like Kat was evil or doubting or anything.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1833

My interpretation of this is that Annie thought it was the device doing crazy poo poo. I always thought it was weird that Annie brings it up and the characters immediately move on by the next page.

Edit: Actually https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1832

With that, it DOES sound like she believed it was Kat, or did something to Kat's form. Hm. Welp.
Wtf then.

Niavmai posted:

"or something that she could become..."

why the gently caress would she come to this conclusion? there's absolutely no prompting for that specific guess. we know the answer, but annie shouldn't.

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2265

Extrapolation from this, maybe?

It's kinda hilarious we get repeated pages of poo poo we absolutely, definitely know and have been told repeatedly like a weekly shounen (Annie has to kill Loup!!), or it'll take multiple pages to realize obvious poo poo like the Court possibly targeting Zimmy. But then, within a page, we have Annie jumping to the correct conclusion about something that's been specifically brought up by her once before in-comic and has seemed to baffle her previously.

My guesswork so far is giving the comic a lot of leniency, but much like "So Father told me about Omega", Annie coming near this conclusion really should have had more substance and thoughts *from her perspective*.

catapede fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 17, 2023

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I'm willing to argue that the conversation Kat had with the Norns wasn't so explicitly private that she didn't hear a little bit of what they skirted around. If you add that in, it's somewhat reasonable to come to that conclusion. I think the reason why it's jarring that she's coming to the correct conclusion is because she's been written as a bit clueless lately.

Either way, I'm glad that this conversation is happening. It's long overdue, but it at least makes sense from a character perspective why they never talked about it to each other. It's been written fairly consistently that while they tolerate each other and are even friendly, they aren't exactly friends.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Cavatica posted:

I think the reason why it's jarring that she's coming to the correct conclusion is because she's been written as a bit clueless lately.

Either way, I'm glad that this conversation is happening. It's long overdue, but it at least makes sense from a character perspective why they never talked about it to each other. It's been written fairly consistently that while they tolerate each other and are even friendly, they aren't exactly friends.
This is pretty much my feelings in a nutshell. It feels rushed in some ways, but at least they're talking about things reasonably without someone accusing Annie of some wild poo poo or Loup showing up to take his shirt off or something.

I guess it's sad that my bar is so low, lmao

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I'm glad this conversation is happening because it's definitely something that feels like it should've come up a long time ago and I've expressed should happen.

It does kind of come off as weird? Might be that's because it's the first time anyone's had a fairly normal back-and-forth that feels like it's paying off on things that have been flagged as important and built up over years? :shrug:

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Cavatica posted:

Kat's partner and her best friend not really being friends is easily the most realistic thing in this strip.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
is coyote back yet

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

an iksar marauder posted:

is coyote back yet

Coyote got fed up and left. He took the plot with him.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011
why is she STILL downplaying zimmy????? she's a loving goddess with minimal control over her power, and annie talks about her like it's just some silly thing.

this is what i've found so frustrating for the past... almost 2 years of updates. the stakes are extremely high, and also don't exist.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I feel like “Kat would never do anything bad on purpose” is… fine, but also I guarantee Annie has heard of Oedipus Rex, or literally any other Greek mythological prophecy.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Annie you literally got re fused by Zimmie.

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Oh, so now she doesn't believe Zimmy's warning???

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Of all the things that have happened lately it's 100% believable to me that Annie would be in denial over her best friend in the world being potentially dangerous

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Okay, NOW the theory that Kat would go full-on machine goddess without Annie holds water. Or she would just go SHODAN/Skynet rather than be benevolent without Annie around to say "Dude, chill."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
"We'll always keep Kat on the right path" say the two girls who JUST gave almost zero push back when Kat asked them to do something they were both obviously uncomfortable with and wound up almost killing Kat.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

oh my god :cripes:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm going to stick with my memory loss theory

or they all have severe long covid and can't think anymore

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There's no way I can read this dialog without seeing a million death flags flapping in the stormy wind.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

CodfishCartographer posted:

"We'll always keep Kat on the right path" say the two girls who JUST gave almost zero push back when Kat asked them to do something they were both obviously uncomfortable with and wound up almost killing Kat.

I was going to say that her initial explanation for the chip wasn't too concerning, then I rechecked and she explicitly said that it would mean she wouldn't need to interact with the screens, she could interface directly with it, so I'm going to chalk it up to bad writing, bad character motivation and Tom just not giving a gently caress on keeping things consistent anymore Annie and Paz didn't understand what Kat was saying and trusted her to know what she was doing.

... hey, didn't this chapter start off by talking about zombie robots?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj5lDgV5PfY

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Man if the writing of Kat and Annie and relationships between characters in general was where it was three years ago I'd find this moment really great. :(

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

There's no way I can read this dialog without seeing a million death flags flapping in the stormy wind.

i would've said the same, except who the gently caress knows what is or is not intentional anymore. this is just a normal, heartwarming chat, probably.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
The way Paz is talking here reinforces the theory that she’s going to break up with Kat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

How soon after Annie was saved by the birds did Paz appear? I'm just picturing Paz doing a reveal that she was the psychopomp assigned to bring Annie to the afterlife, but she was clearly not dead, so Paz stuck around trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on, and just now is realizing Kat's a nascent godling and is able to divinely intervene.

Edit: Never mind, she came before Annie's fall.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 23, 2023

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Fecha posted:

The way Paz is talking here reinforces the theory that she’s going to break up with Kat.

What better way to force Kat to take the other Paz forward?

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Fecha posted:

Oooo yeah. Paz's response specifically mentions Annie. With Paz excluding herself from being an anchor, and the sudden interrupt, sure sounds/feels like Paz is considering or will break up with Kat.

Edit:
^^^^ lol

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
If Tom breaks up one of his only queer representation in the entire comic that would be loving hilarious in the sad way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Are we not supposed to interpret Zimmy and Gamma that way?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

skaianDestiny posted:

If Tom breaks up one of his only queer representation in the entire comic that would be loving hilarious in the sad way.

If that queer representation was just there to give Kat a reason to go full on into this dark machine god business by having Paz break up with her at the worst possible moment then yeah. That'll be a thing.

Also on the subject of queer coded relationships, is shadow just dead now? When was the last time we've seen them? Robot has been around a bit being creepy but shadow's absence is pretty conspicuous at this point. Like they were nearly inseparable once upon a time.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 23, 2023

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shadow isn't dead, the plot is just happening offscreen

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
hes undercover

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Are we not supposed to interpret Zimmy and Gamma that way?

gamma isn't a character

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Basic teen goth girl.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Patware posted:

gamma isn't a character

Bit harsh to say that just because she's Polish.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Patware posted:

gamma isn't a character
The Greeks would disagree.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

christmas boots posted:

Bit harsh to say that just because she's Polish.

What are you talking about this script has no polish

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

I'm sorry Kat, red lights are NOT something you wanna see on servers. Please get those drives replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

...what are they uninstalling? I thought this was fixing a permissions issue.