Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Beeftweeter posted:

its just a scavenger hunt that most people literally can't win? lol who wants that

I think it might be the same people who make social media posts about how if they were given a choice between a billion dollars in cash or a book that would teach them how to make ten thousand dollars a day, they would take the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Ariong posted:

I think it might be the same people who make social media posts about how if they were given a choice between a billion dollars in cash or a book that would teach them how to make ten thousand dollars a day, they would take the book.

step 1: acquire a billion dollars in cash

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Tungsten posted:

step 1: write a book to teach people how to make ten thousand dollars a day
step 2: charge 300 dollars for it

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

more like do klost

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Boxturret posted:

I just don't understand the appeal of a game where only .0001% of the players get to experience the ending

https://www.eurogamer.net/the-god-who-peter-molyneux-forgot

quote:

The prize? In the months before Curiosity's release, Molyneux had hyped it up, promising it would be "life-changing" for whoever discovered it. "Life-changing." Quite the claim, and Molyneux's video message repeats the words. But how? You will become a digital god, Molyneux proclaims in the video, of 22Cans' next game, Godus. And, you will receive a cut of the money made by Godus from the start of your reign to its end.

"That, by any definition of the word, is life-changing," Molyneux says.

18 months later, as Bryan approaches his 21st birthday, he has yet to become God of Gods, he has yet to receive the "riches" Molyneux promised him, and it's looking increasingly likely he never will.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Ariong posted:

joke's on them, they aren't getting either and if they think they're about to, they're getting scammed

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rip bozo

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
That whole story and a bunch of others are really well told in this doco (the Godus story starts at 2:19:55)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFZ92jySWe0

All Kim's docs are great, tbf

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Found this fragment ages ago.

Some book from ages ago posted:

For eight days, an advertisement appeared in every popular German newspaper. It read,

"I swear on my life I can teach you how to become a wealthy man. Any interested party should send me their address with a return envelope and one mark for administrative costs. One mark is surely not a significant investment, if in return a benevolent stranger can show you the way to untold riches."

The advertisement's author quickly received tens of thousands of replies, and tens of thousands of marks with them. In return, he sent every would-be moneybags a postcard reading, "please do as I have done, just in different newspapers."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4UKglqhMTU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

https://twitter.com/ahcastor/status/1638993240128114688

Looking forward to the inevitable Coffeezilla video.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hindenburg research just released a huge report on block, née square alleging widespread fraud on their platforms ignored intentionally by management to fuel growth, particularly in cashapp

https://twitter.com/hindenburgres/status/1638881813106925576

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
can't believe At Jack would fake metrics for a company he founded!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It would be impossible to verify it's not the real Donald J Trump. You don't want to decline service to someone so powerful and rich for no reason. He might even let you in on his money doubling scheme, which for financial institution can be really helpful.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
if it's not the real donald j trump then you're obviously dealing with some sort of fraud and there's a good chance you'll lose money dealing with them and you should not allow them on your platform. if it is the real donald j trump then you're obviously going to get stiffed on anything he owes you and you should not under any circumstances allow them on your platform

so either way they hosed up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
lol yeah

whoever it is, "donald j. trump" is invariably going to commit fraud

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

qirex posted:

hindenburg research just released a huge report on block, née square alleging widespread fraud on their platforms ignored intentionally by management to fuel growth, particularly in cashapp

YO THAT'S A FUCKIN HUGE LMAO FAILURE

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

know (that) your customer (is a scammer)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

just "oh we opened an account in the name of a PEP no questions asked" loving christ that's layers of failure goddamn

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

...! posted:

buddy you sure are stretchin there

i don`t see no ring

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

...! posted:

buddy you sure are stretchin there

not the most intuitive joke

qirex posted:

lmao holy poo poo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

just "oh we opened an account in the name of a PEP no questions asked" loving christ that's layers of failure goddamn

does block have a fail whale, i wonder?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

lol yeah

whoever it is, "donald j. trump" is invariably going to commit fraud

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Midjack posted:

does block have a fail whale, i wonder?

https://www.investopedia.com/square-top-shareholders-5094562

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
:golfclap:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

" When users were caught engaging in fraud, $SQ would blacklist the account but not ban the user."

lolll

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

THAT'S THE THING IT'S LIKE FUCKIN IRON CLAD PROOF THEY ARE NOT ONLY NOT SCREENING FOR PEPS THEY AREN'T SCREENING FOR ANY NEG NEWS OR ANYTHING

folks look there has been indulgences had on my end but seriously a loving basic rear end google search of a customer's name is fisher price grade day one entry level nobody will ever question it poo poo in any financial CIP.

Okay whatever they're failing that fine why's it so heavy Fauxton, well they aren't doing any kind of ID verification of any kind, they aren't screening onboards against any "if you don't do this you are committing a crime not doing it" lists, and I mean gently caress look there clearly is not any human person involved in that loving onboarding process there's so many things this is and they're all hilarious poo poo people in my profession joke about in the way normal people joke about the end of the world it's astoundingly bad looking and probably nothing will really happen but look on paper it's a tremendous amount of crimes

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

buttcoin: look on paper it's a tremendous amount of crimes

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

FAUXTON posted:

blockchain solves this

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

qirex posted:

Maybe Nazi Jack was just so excited that his favorite president was using his service he couldn't think straight!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

no seriously this is like the financial equivalent of building a theater without emergency exits

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

no seriously this is like the financial equivalent of building a theater without emergency exits

I'm sure it's fine and they are working very hard to fix it. You have to remember, this is very new technology

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
its like sbf pressed in to a card

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

But what if that theater makes billions of dollars?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
if this is how bad a job jack is doing with a company with a few years of experience in the space, imagine how much worse elon would do, jumping into this with twitter, a company with no trust & safety or compliance departments and an absolute certainty that he knows everything much better than anyone else

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Midjack posted:

not the most intuitive joke

lmao holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/HindenburgRes/status/1638881819654332418?s=20
lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mycrimes.mp3

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
the world is hosed if sam discovers this new criming technique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

When will am release his mixtape entirely about his crimes?