Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

The process of gaining elite specs coming in now sucks.

I just completely unlocked like 5 elite specs this week across 3 professions since I finished my first legendary armour set (:toot:), and the only one that was remotely painful was ele going through HoT, since it's made of tissue paper. For that one I unlocked all the easy HPs then used proofs of heroics to unlock the rest. If you've done much WvW you probably have a ton of those sitting around in your wallet. Obviously do the HPs in PoF and EoD first since they're pretty much all soloable, even on weak specs, and there are far more points than you need to unlock all 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
My lazy rear end tends to unlock specs via WvW honestly.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I love the infinite scroll when you unlock every core hero point through WvW

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

..btt posted:

I just completely unlocked like 5 elite specs this week across 3 professions since I finished my first legendary armour set (:toot:), and the only one that was remotely painful was ele going through HoT, since it's made of tissue paper.

I'd say you're firmly out of "just coming in now" territory. :v:

If you're starting now you're not leveling an engineer. You're leveling a Mechanist (or whatever) and you'll only know if you like Mechanist (I kinda don't) once you invest the time and money getting to that point. I think it's pretty cool that the boost allows you to run around Silverwastes in PvE as much as you want to get a feel for the profession but as that was never updated for the specs people play now it can wind up playing entirely differently from the thing you wanted.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

And teh best thing is, its trivial to swap.

HoT hp trains are still a thing
Pof ones too.
Ive even seen some EoD ones

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Mailer posted:

that was never updated for the specs people play now it can wind up playing entirely differently from the thing you wanted.

If you play warrior that's only true for gunsaber class. As the purist class, most untainted by the Mists, the Void, or any god, warrior will always be the best. Core, Beserker, and Spellbreaker operate under the same mechanics: hit stuff to get mad, then release that anger through your weapon of choice into the enemies face. Ranged is for sissies. Pets can't match your anger.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I do appreciate that warriors have no magic, just anger. No gods, no masters, just hatred and/or fire. Signets exist, I guess, but I always appreciate the anti-magic focused classes. Spellbreaker has a lot of magic or whatever but it gets a pass because its whole thing is efficiently stabbing wizards.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
They need to revert the bladesworn elite nerf, at least so it works with rifle. I finally had a warrior spec I liked, using my favorite weapon on it that's been garbage for most of the game's lifespan, and they had to gently caress with it.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

Honestly I'd rather they just buff Rifle at this point. Even with Tactical Reload affecting it, it wasn't great. Thankfully that seems inevitable at this point since they buff up a few lovely weapons every balance patch, which are common now.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
SAB is LIVE

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/topic/129349-game-update-notes-march-28-2023/

Super Adventure Festival posted:

Moto's world-renowned Super Adventure Box returns again when the Super Adventure Festival kicks off on March 28! Explore two worlds :siren:(and one test zone):siren: of excitement, peril, and educational entertainment to earn holographic weapons and a variety of loot. Travelers can visit the Super Adventure Box in Rata Sum; temporary portals have been placed in each major city to facilitate easy travel to the scenic hub of asuran culture!

Festivities begin on March 28 and will continue until April 18 at noon Pacific Time (UTC-7).
Complete the festival's meta-achievement, (Annual) Super Adventure Box Nostalgia, to earn the new Powered Gloves armor piece! Last year's reward, the Reality Rig Mk1 chest armor, is now available from Super Adventure Box Traders.
For the fashionable and asymmetry inclined, unlocking the Powered Gloves armor in the wardrobe will immediately unlock a Powered Left Glove and Powered Right Glove to wear on just one hand.
The Reality Rig Mk2 and Reality Rig Mk3 remain available from the Super Adventure Box Trader.
A new Generation One weapon set is now available! You'll receive your choice of a weapon by progressing the Super Adventure Box Nostalgia meta-achievement, and you can earn a second choice from a secret achievement or purchase additional tradeable boxes from the Super Adventure Box Weekly Trader.
New weapons have been added to the Retro-Forged weapon set! You can purchase these weapons directly from a festival vendor or find them as rare drops in Super Loot Bags.
New Super Adventure Box-themed guild decorations have been added! Turn your hall into the cavernous level of your dreams.
Infantile Mode has been renamed and is now Exploration Mode.
A number of Super Adventure-related bugs have been fixed to ensure a safe education for all heroes.

https://twitter.com/GuildWars2/status/1640748536865374208?s=20

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 28, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Infantile Mode has been renamed and is now Exploration Mode.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

What's a good farming guide for SAB?
It has never hooked me but there are some items now that I'd love to get.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
SAB world 3 is real

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

i cant get past the frog :/

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Actuarial Fables posted:

SAB world 3 is real

players were whining why anet delivered a "lackluster" update back in february... yet almost no fanfare for SAB w3

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Is it optimal to go through the SAB worlds in a group or can it all be solo'd?

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Unfortunately it's not really a fully fledged world 3, more like a single, fairly small level, so i get the lack of fanfare. Still though, it's a pretty fun one, and I hope this is a sign of things to come next year.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Genthil posted:

Is it optimal to go through the SAB worlds in a group or can it all be solo'd?

It can all be done solo, and you won't miss out on anything.

Playing as a group in normal mode can be nice because your party members can activate checkpoints for you.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Meskhenet posted:

i cant get past the frog :/

You can jump back on the little lilypads while you figure out the pattern.
He's only got like three moves. Smash his amulet a few times and as soon as he looks left and right, grab a piece and toss it in his mouth. Should only have to do that twice.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I finally bought EoD and now it's time to figure out which out of the nine new elite specs I want to mess around with first

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Depends on what you enjoy, really. It's very subjective. I personally love willbender, vindicator and mechanist but am pretty indifferent about the rest.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Playing through HoT and the overworld group quests are fantastic. I helped kill a giant fuckoff dragon head that impaled itself on a tree and got a shitload of XP for it. :allears:

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Vindicator is some of the most fun I've had in EoD, jumping around like a maniac and still doing decent overworld damage was great, coupled with the stamina regen signet on kills

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013
At least in open world, putting Superior Sigil of Stamina on Vindicator makes for some really silly minute-long evade/jump chains, which I find really satisfying to play.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I finally ventured in to the first expansion zone, lured by the idea of mega skill points

but many questions,

i need to do mastery training to get high on mushrooms???

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

I finally ventured in to the first expansion zone, lured by the idea of mega skill points

but many questions,

And get speed on mushrooms.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Meowywitch posted:

but many questions,

buddy these mushrooms aint for amateurs, come back when you can taste colors and we'll talk.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Also need mastery to dig in the dirt, get strong arms for more gliding, live in poison, talk to frogs, talk to larger frogs, fight with frogs, wash your hands, read markings from ghosts, fight an exploding ghost, surf the energy that binds the world together, and *checks notes* use a stick that's on fire.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Mailer posted:

Also need mastery to dig in the dirt, get strong arms for more gliding, live in poison, talk to frogs, talk to larger frogs, fight with frogs, wash your hands, read markings from ghosts, fight an exploding ghost, surf the energy that binds the world together, and *checks notes* use a stick that's on fire.

also sing to ghosts

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Of the elite specs I've messed with so far, I really like Holosmith: it's flashy and strong, and it has mechanics that hit the nice sweetspot between too much and too little to do at once

but of course i'm just open world

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Holosmith feels really cool and then I discovered the giant loving laser that is the elite skill and decided I didn't need to play another engineer spec.

Sure, the golem gets a laser too I guess but it doesn't feel the same if I don't hear the fuckin THUD.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Malpais Legate posted:

Holosmith feels really cool and then I discovered the giant loving laser that is the elite skill and decided I didn't need to play another engineer spec.

Sure, the golem gets a laser too I guess but it doesn't feel the same if I don't hear the fuckin THUD.

As much as I love Mechanist, I am annoyed at how often the golem is in the way, visually speaking. I might go back to Scrapper and poo poo out loads of barrier again.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Malpais Legate posted:

and it just got Un nerfed in spvp so hitting several people with it at 80+ heat in a team fight feels amazing

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So I've picked this up again. Trying out a Revenant. Got some newbie questions

1) I haven't cleared Queensdale yet, but I'm already at Level 18? Have they increased the levelling speed by a fuckload?

2) Kinda digging the Rev, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing yet. Using Sword\Sword (Might try Sword\Axe) and I want to be a damage dealer. So far all of my attacks are super effective so I don't know which ones are worth focusing on\spamming and which ones are conditional. Or what conditions those are best in.

3) No idea what legends I should be invoking. I'm thinking Assassin for damage, swapping to dwarf for heals?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

H13 posted:

1) I haven't cleared Queensdale yet, but I'm already at Level 18? Have they increased the levelling speed by a fuckload?

2) Kinda digging the Rev, but I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing yet. Using Sword\Sword (Might try Sword\Axe) and I want to be a damage dealer. So far all of my attacks are super effective so I don't know which ones are worth focusing on\spamming and which ones are conditional. Or what conditions those are best in.

3) No idea what legends I should be invoking. I'm thinking Assassin for damage, swapping to dwarf for heals?

1. Yes. However, your effective level is capped based on where you are. Attribute bonuses from higher-level equipment do get around the cap, though.

2 & 3. Find an open world core rev build on hardstuck or metabattle and build towards that until you have a better idea of what you're doing. Like this one: https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/revenant/core-revenant/ If you follow this build, pick up the Devastation traitline before the other two; it generates a fair amount of automatic healing.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

With a hell of a lot of help i finally got the cairn part of envoy 2 done.

Even after i made it clear i will make stupid choices as to what circle i will end up in, somehow this pug team managed to not only keep my arse alive, but get the right amount of people into a circle.

I think they knew how loving stupid i was when the 2nd circle i chose was the one with the dude that had the red ring of death about him, even though the one almost right next to him was a lot safer... (and only needed 1 person)

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

H13 posted:

For 1, they added a bunch of challenges that will speed you to 80. Don't worry about it too much due to the previous mentioned level scaling, just take zones at your own pace, and maybe look into getting proper gear once you hit level 80.

For 2, revenant weapons are all good but serve different functions. As a brief required explanation, damage in this game is split up between Power and Condition damage, and gear only really supports one or the other (there's some weird hybrid cases but don't worry about those right now). For revenant, main hand mace is a condition weapon, main hand sword is a power weapon. Off-hand axe is a condition weapon, off-hand sword is a power weapon. Two handed hammer is a power weapon, two handed staff is mostly support/utility/CC. You get access to more weapons when you unlock elite specalizations, which is at 80.

For 3, the legends are all based towards speciifc roles. Legendary Assassin Stance is for Power, Legendary Centaur Stance is for group Healing/Support (and can be handy on occasion in solo play against projecitles), Legendary Demon Stance is for conditions, Legendary Dwarf Stance is for personal healing/defense/some power damage. Generally speaking, Assassin/Dwarf is the best you can do for core revenant, or Demon/Dwarf if you want to do condi.

As a bonus, revenant's specalizations are all also very straight forward role wise. Corruption is for Condition, Retribution is for self-defense, Salvation is for healing, Invocation is just the default second damage spec, Devestation is for Power but Again. Usually, for solo play you'll pick Devastation or Corruption based on if you're power or condi, then grab Salvation because it's extremely good at keeping you alive in non-group content and then either Invocation or a elite spec.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

Everyone loves tier lists and debating them and calling the poster wrong and dumb, so here's my tier list of open world builds. Maybe it'll help you figure out what you, the reader, want to play next.

Priorities were damage, sustain, defenses, access to a good stun break, tagging potential, and melee vs ranged. The last one used to not be such a big deal but every meta map starting with LWS4 punishes melee enough that ranged is a tremendous advantage. Especially the new map. Dear lord does Gyala Delve hate melee.

S+

Vindicator: Pretty much just the best solo profession in the game by a considerable margin. It's virtually immortal, able to face tank things any other profession would only dream of taking, has high damage, solid tagging potential, high damage, stun breaks, pretty much your only downside is your lack of ranged damage but you can keep a hammer on weapon swap to handle that, even if it isn't ideal.

S

Renegade: Anet tried to nerf this spec's sustain to the ground but then they gave Revenants a improved salvation and now it's once again really hard to kill, perhaps even tankier than it was before. Shortbow is a great weapon for tagging plus it's ranged, and ghost cats remain cool. Doesn't quite half the self boon output of Vindicator nor dodge synergy, but still amazing.

Herald: Not as good as Vindicator and doesn't get shortbow but you can passively pump out some boons for lazy credit on some events.

Mirage: Staff/Staff mirage is a timeless classic for soloing hard content, between your sustain, plethora of iframes, ranged damage, and passive defensive buffs. Can also swap out one staff for a greatsword on celestial variants for incredible tagging potential. You also get access to Mesmer Portals.

Specter: High self sustain and the second health bar that shadow shroud provides, combined with the amazing tagging of thief shortbow and great solo damage make this a great solo spec. Plus you have easy access to stealth. Also it's by far the best spec in the game to play with a friend.

Deadeye: Very high damage, great self sustain, high mobility, and of course you have thief shortbow's amazing tagging. Easy access to stealth as well. Recent balance patches helped this spec out a ton. Do keep in mind this is a relatively high skill requirement spec, and dagger/pistol's 3 movement can be awkward.

Scourge: Really sustainable with ease, ranged damage, good stun breaks, good passive defense, high damage, the worst you can say is your tagging is kind of bad.

Mechanist: Power mechanist ate a bunch of nerfs (it's still good!) but the buffs to pistol made condi mechanist the new gold standard for afk 1 button gaming. Shift signet is the ultimate get out of jail free card, high self defense, good damage, personal pocket tank, solid tagging, but needing to be near your mech for a lot of damage hurts esp with how hard it can be to keep track of in many metas. And Flamethrower's always a option for ultra potent tagging.

A

Virtuoso: Dagger is a pretty good weapon for tagging, you've got a good stun break, a panic invuln button, solid damage, and tremendous amounts of healing from Inspiration. Light armor and not meshing well with Celestial hurts somewhat, leaving you more fragile than higher ranked specs. Also Mesmer Portals.

Core Revenant: Your best option for Sword/Sword revenant solo gameplay because you get to fit Salvation, Devastation, and Invocation.

Untamed: Doesn't have the highest sustain or self defense but by god does it pump out damage. Maybe the highest damage any solo class can get for extended fights. Do keep in mind it's very high skill requirement and APM but it definitely rewards you for it. It can be impractical to play for extended periods of time though, and the easier options are more along the lines of B tier.

Catalyst: Pretty high damage, enormous self heal burst, good sustain, but unfortunately bad stun breaks and lackluster tagging.

Willbender: High damage, amazing self sustain/defensive options, good burst, and the far too many good utility skills guardian has are all great perks, let down only by poor tagging and needing to be in melee.

Harbinger: Really tanky, high sustain, good tagging, but you don't really get a stun break and your self sustain notably tanks if other players are nearby, because they steal the Quickness your minions would get. Also resummoning minions each map is a big pain if you're frequently swapping zones, such as for meta trains or world bosses, and they have a bad tendency to keep you in combat. You also just, sometimes get oneshot at high blight stacks, but oh well.

Holosmith: Would probably be S tier if its self boon access wasn't so bad. As is, it has a lot of good defensive options, good sustain, good to incredible tagging, but the damage just isn't quite there.

Scrapper: In mostly the same boat as Holosmith, damage isn't as high but it has better tagging and better self defensive options, plus function gyro is pretty strong for metas and world bosses and sneak gyro's stealth can be really nice for certain things.

Daredevil: Stealth and thief shortbow, good defensive buttons, only issue is needing to be in melee to do damage and the damage being kind of ho-hum overall.

B

Tempest: Solid sustain and self defense, but overloads animation lock you forever, your damage isn't the best, your stunbreak access is lacking, and your tagging is poor.

Core Necromancer: Not the highest damage and the tagging isn't good, but easily one of the most survivable specs in the entire game. Staff buff helped this spec a fair deal.

Core Engineer: Worse than the other engineer specs damage wise but you still get to do Flamethrower Gaming and outside of Shift Signet this is the tankiest of the Engineers for Flamethrower Gaming.

Spellbreaker: Used to be incredible sustain but Anet took open world sustain personally and gutted sun & moon style. Still a good spec though outside of its lackluster sustain and poor tagging, especially now that Hammer is buffed giving them a high damaging CC option they didnt before. Full Counter is also very funny for ignoring boss mechanics.

Core Thief: Shortbow's still amazing at tagging and you get stealth access but kind of middling otherwise and you need to go into melee to do any sort of meaningful damage. If you aren't interested in metas this drops to D.

Reaper: Unfortunately Reaper Shroud mandates you go into melee, and your tagging ability isn't great, but you're still extremely survivable overall on maps not named Galya Delve, with very respectable damage for a open world build. Power creep's hurt this spec a bit tho on the damage department.

Soulbeast: Good sustain, good damage, solid passive defensive options, but you need to be melee and your tagging is acceptable but nothing special.

C

Chronomancer: Shatters don't play well with open world, you need to be in melee to do damage, your tagging isn't great, and your damage is kind of low but you've got a fair few panic buttons and your sustain is passable. You also get Mesmer Portals.

Firebrand: Solid damage and some group buffing potential, but poor ranged damage options and extremely poor sustain, on top of very low base HP. The tomes rework really hurt too, robbing the spec of a lot of defensive and utility options, and took a lot of the wind out of Celestial's sails.

Weaver: Extremely high skill requirement for middling rewards, poor ranged damage options, decent sustain, decent defense, bad access to stun breaks, and poor tagging make this kind of a lackluster open world spec. Realistically it's probably a tier or two higher if you're always bringing your A game and grind it out for hours, but always playing peak performance is impractical in open world and the reward isn't really worth it in this case.

Bladesworn: Dragon Trigger can result in some incredible legendary bounty speedruns but it's extremely impractical in a lot of content and the profession otherwise lacks in sustain, with very bad tagging.

Ranger: Bearbow gaming. Damage is low but you have a pocket tank and can tag decentlywell, with acceptable but not great sustain and defensive options. Watch out for any situation where your bear can't tank for you.

Berserker: Kind of poor sustain and lackluster damage but everything else's solid.

D:

Core Elementalist: Everything I said about weaver but worse.

Core Mesmer: Worse chronomancer.

Core Warrior: pretty much just meh or bad on every facet.

Dragonhunter: Used to be pretty solid for tagging but then they decided Longbow's Puncture Shot should be a pierce and not a bounce so now its tagging is just decent. Outside of that you've got Guardian's amazing utility skills, but terrible damage, bad sustain, bad total HP, and you need to be in melee to do even mediocre damage.

Core Guardian: Dragonhunter but Slightly Worse.

F:

Druid: Sure, you have good group healing, but you can't tag while you're healing and healing isn't good in open world metas because of how targeting works. Beyond that, you're just a way worse core ranger, itself already not amazing. This spec is just poop from a butt.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it took a bit of practice to get better at surviving things like champions on vindicator, i had to break out of the habit of just using every jump on cooldown and instead keep one stocked in the back pocket for avoiding big hits. it can be down to the wire sometimes but that makes it pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Thank you for the effort post