Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
They should just make it so the pros have to manually search the gallery when they miss the fairways. All spectators must remain still and anyone who gives them a hint about where it could be gets ejected immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Plank Walker posted:

They should just make it so the pros have to manually search the gallery when they miss the fairways. All spectators must remain still and anyone who gives them a hint about where it could be gets ejected immediately.

Patrons play keep away from the golfer. Every minute he/she can't nab the ball is a stroke gained.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea they should have to look for their ball like us peasants.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Rogue Elephant posted:

I hate this idea, because imo a huge appeal of golf is that any player could hit a pro-caliber shot at any moment, even if their handicap is like 50 or whatever. If you don't buy the restricted balls (and probably put yourself at a disadvantage in your foursome or whatever) and then you lace a drive and then stick the approach 2 feet from the pin? You're going to know in the back of your mind that you're playing with a juiced ball

If you think you're playing anything close to a pro level, let me be the first to tell you no

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

If you think you're playing anything close to a pro level, let me be the first to tell you no

Hey man I can hit my 60* like 150 yards, that's pro level right?

shame the shot was only 60 yards

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I don't know, if they had bifurcation and sold nonconforming hot-faced drivers without the 1.5 smash factor limit, I'd feel completely fine playing one even if the pros couldn't.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
"I want to use the equipment the pros use and play the game the way they do!" -Also plays slow-pitch softball with a huge ball and an aluminum bat

The pros don't need the help, I do. And if they need a ball with NASA type technology to compete with the best, they don't belong at the top tier of golf. Bifurcate away.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Bifurcation in golf is a stupid idea because there's a huge difference between high-level amateur play/players and pros in golf and the same in other sports.

There aren't any amateur baseball or football players that get to play in a qualifier that gets them into an actual professional game/tournament/whatever in any of those sports. That is not true in golf.

There are tens if not hundreds of thousands of real amateur players - I'm talking about golfers who play in regular clubs, private or public, not college golfers or "professional amateurs" who play virtually all of their golf in elite level competitions - who have the opportunity to qualify into not only majors, but many other professional events at every level.

I regularly play golf in my regular-rear end public men's club with guys who have qualified and played in the US Open or other PGA/Euro/Asian/Senior tour events, or gotten deep into the qualifying rounds of them. If these guys have to switch to an approved tour ball that's significantly different than what they're using every other week of the year in their normal games, they'll never qualify for one of those events again. And if they decide to play the "pro" balls in their regular game, they're just putting themselves at a huge disadvantage for 90%+ of their golf.

I'm totally sympathetic to the idea that distance continuing to increase every year is not sustainable, but if they're going to impose limits on the golf ball (which I'm fine with them doing), the limits need to be adopted across the board.

Like another posted mentioned above, there is a physical limit to how fast a human is going to be able to swing a golf club, especially since the specifications for shafts and club heads are already being regulated, so the idea that the average college golfer is going to be hitting their drivers 400+ yards in 30 years is asinine if you believe that the existing restrictions on equipment are going to be maintained. Add some additional regulation on the golf ball across all levels of play to slow the race to "maximum distance" down and I don't think anyone serious is going to complain.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

DJExile posted:

Nothing I or my balls have done in 3 decades has been straight

Can confirm.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Keyser_Soze posted:

Off the top of my head:
1. you need some cavity backed 53° and 58° wedges like a Glide/CBX
2. ditch the 5 iron for another hybrid

I am posting this to say you were right. Going for a 50 and a 53 while it’s raining today. I pulled the 5i out and I don’t miss it. I can make punches with that 6 just as well. I’m hitting that 6i about 170, and my home club is very old with tiny sloped greens. At a 15hci, I have about 5% tops of holding or landing from that range. Outside of trying to roll one up on a par 5 or making a recovery after a bad tee shot I have no business trying to land a green from further when the score matters.

I have those old Adams OG idea 3 and 4 HY that seem to go 200-210 and 180-190 respectively with original graphite shafts that I mainly use on the monster par 3’s. I’ve tested a modern 4Hy recently that out carried my current 3, but I’m going to verify lofts because…Jesus they’re hotting up everything nowadays.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

I finally figured out what to do with my wrists!!!!!!!!!!!! Been pushing/guiding the club the whole time and was getting frustrated when what looked like a consistent swing was getting skunky sounding strikes when I had a revelation. Started thinking about it like I am pinning the ends of my wrist bones together and just holding my hands gently cocked until it naturally released and the SOUND of every single ball I hit was just different along with effortless power. Everything felt relaxed, not like I'm trying to hit a golf ball with a sledgehammer horizontally. This might be the real aha moment holy poo poo. :psyduck:

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 19, 2023

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

It was like 83 yesterday and I hadn't played in 2 weeks and shot 80, so decent round. It's 50 right now and only expected to get to like 55 by noon and I have a 9:30 tee time, so we'll see how this goes. Thanks florida.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
was 36C here and I got out for 18, shot 78 but couldn't get the putter going.

I'm not sure what it is about my home course but a lot of the holes induce some sort of an optical/spatial illusion when you're putting, especially on putts between 5 and 10 feet. Basically you look at the hole and you read the line from behind, then you step up to the ball and it feels like it slopes the opposite way. Sometimes when you putt it feels like you've missed it way low as you putt it because of the perceived slope then it just goes dead straight. Once you realize it's happening you get used to it but it's very unique to that course, from my experience.

This also happened;

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Mcqueen posted:

I don’t know if I agree that swing speed will continue to get faster. I think we’ve seen an increase in it since the 90’s as pros look less like Daly and more like Morikowa. People are taking better care of themselves and developing strength and flexibility not common to the game until recently. I’d argue there is a limit to the speed one could swing repetitively and still maintain the myriad of other skills required to play at a professional level…while also not destroying their body.

Yeah I mean — you asymptotically approach limits in all kinds of sports. Improved training methods haven't resulted in a 3 minute mile or a 1 hour marathon or a 150 mph fastball or a 700 foot home run. We're not going to see swing speeds increase linearly.

In baseball, for decades you've had technological limits on the co-efficient of restitution of a baseball, the weight/density/material of a bat, and so on. You can tweak these by degrees.

Seems like the PGA should be able to get by fine with some more standardization of tech for pros (you can use aluminum bats in your softball league but not MLB) and some more creativity with layout of courses that select for skill and not raw strength. To the other poster who made the point about there being amateur golfers who qualify for pros: well, they can choose to compete with pro-legal equipment! The same as competitive powerlifters who might need to compete without straps in the deadlift. This is not a hard problem.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

mattfl posted:

It was like 83 yesterday and I hadn't played in 2 weeks and shot 80, so decent round. It's 50 right now and only expected to get to like 55 by noon and I have a 9:30 tee time, so we'll see how this goes. Thanks florida.

Gonna be in your part of the state sometime in the near future. Started with a company with a winter springs address. I'll PM if you wanna get up for a game.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Update, maybe I should play in the cold more often?

Started off a bit rough, couldn't quite get the speed of the greens down and driver was kinda out of control. Figured out greens and driver on the back 9 though, my best round ever at this course!

Farking Bastage posted:

Gonna be in your part of the state sometime in the near future. Started with a company with a winter springs address. I'll PM if you wanna get up for a game.

Oh man for sure! Let me know when you're in town.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Home club was just micropunched, so I was playing plinko today on the greens. The wind was going 20-25 mostly in my face all day but I was launching some missiles into that wind like a boss. I'm getting more and more used to my new swing, and holy poo poo I see why my wedges were so unpredictable. I was strangling the club through them. When I could stay down and just let it go, it was magic.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

abigserve posted:

was 36C here and I got out for 18, shot 78 but couldn't get the putter going.

Nice round. You in Sydney? I got 18 in before midday and was so happy to avoid that furnace. Strange to say in the Golf thread but bring on winter!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Halo14 posted:

Nice round. You in Sydney? I got 18 in before midday and was so happy to avoid that furnace. Strange to say in the Golf thread but bring on winter!

Canberra here. And yeah I'm looking forward to it cooling down that's for sure.

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr

Farking Bastage posted:

I finally figured out what to do with my wrists!!!!!!!!!!!! Been pushing/guiding the club the whole time and was getting frustrated when what looked like a consistent swing was getting skunky sounding strikes when I had a revelation. Started thinking about it like I am pinning the ends of my wrist bones together and just holding my hands gently cocked until it naturally released and the SOUND of every single ball I hit was just different along with effortless power. Everything felt relaxed, not like I'm trying to hit a golf ball with a sledgehammer horizontally. This might be the real aha moment holy poo poo. :psyduck:

Thank you for this breakthrough-posting because I copied the feel and now I’m riding high on this aha moment until it passes

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Farking Bastage posted:

I am posting this to say you were right. Going for a 50 and a 53 while it’s raining today. I pulled the 5i out and I don’t miss it. I can make punches with that 6 just as well. I’m hitting that 6i about 170, and my home club is very old with tiny sloped greens. At a 15hci, I have about 5% tops of holding or landing from that range. Outside of trying to roll one up on a par 5 or making a recovery after a bad tee shot I have no business trying to land a green from further when the score matters.

I have those old Adams OG idea 3 and 4 HY that seem to go 200-210 and 180-190 respectively with original graphite shafts that I mainly use on the monster par 3’s. I’ve tested a modern 4Hy recently that out carried my current 3, but I’m going to verify lofts because…Jesus they’re hotting up everything nowadays.

have you tried a new 7 wood? Those are getting popular again for a good reason, and I think they replace the 5 wood and 3 hybrid for most people.

I had a Callaway Heavenwood back in the late 90's, it was sublime for its day. There weren't hybrids yet back then I don't remember getting one until around 2004 and a 17 degree Hogan 2 hybrid or something.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 21, 2023

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Keyser_Soze posted:

have you tried a new 7 wood? Those are getting popular again for a good reason, and I think they replace the 5 wood and 3 hybrid for most people.

I had a Callaway Heavenwood back in the late 90's, it was sublime for its day. There weren't hybrids yet back then I don't remember getting one until around 2004 and a 17 degree Hogan 2 hybrid or something.

Callaway actually still makes the heavenwood, a slightly larger, 1* stronger 7wood

nerox
May 20, 2001

Keyser_Soze posted:

My buddy has a 9 wood Callaway steelhead (not the new XR, the original one) and everyone in our group will use it at least once a round because it hits so drat well.

In LIV news:
https://iatse.net/liv-golf-strips-broadcast-crews-healthcare-other-benefits-despite-1-billion-in-projected-spending/

Saudis are already slowing down the money faucet it seems.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

LIV's ratings for their second tournament dropped 30% from the first week, seems like things are going well for them.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
*walks 36 holes in 2 days after not playing for 5 months*

"Why the gently caress am I so sore this morning?"

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
Cracked my driver shaft while working on some shallowing drills. Really dumb stuff. I am due for a driver fitting, though. I've got my swing in a pretty good place right now.

It will be a tragedy if I go out before I get a new driver and shoot my best golf using 2 iron and hybrid off the tees.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Let me book as a single, you bastards

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Weird how there was a lot of mid-iron and woods play at the Valspar even though they are playing with regular balls :thunk:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

In the WGC match play I'm laughing at these guys going for the green on a 310 yard par 4 that has a spectator stand placed like a backboard in basketball. They are just bouncing off that thing onto the green lol.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Chromatics posted:

In the WGC match play I'm laughing at these guys going for the green on a 310 yard par 4 that has a spectator stand placed like a backboard in basketball. They are just bouncing off that thing onto the green lol.

More courses should try this sort of thing. Maybe put a big trampoline 50 yards off the green. Put up a mega-giant funnel on the top of the TV tower so that it rolls the ball close to the hole.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Chromatics posted:

and if you leave it too close to the stand you get relief! which is dumb

it'd also be waaaay riskier to drive the green without the backboard, there isn't a ton of room behind, and if they mowed that rough down it'd be a really interesting decision to drive the green or not, but with the stands there the safer decision is to play right at the green which is silly

still i think this is a pretty cool course and matchplay is a fun variation so it's a bummer this tournament is going away

wyoak fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 23, 2023

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah this is my first time watching it and it's really cool, more match play events would be awesome

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t believe for a second that Fowler is 5’9

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Chromatics posted:

Yeah this is my first time watching it and it's really cool, more match play events would be awesome

Glad to got a chance to see it, this event is going away next year. Apparently the deal they had with the course runs out this year and the members decided they didn't want this event there anymore.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

i am a moron posted:

I don’t believe for a second that Fowler is 5’9

Pretty sure he's 5'7". Think he's even said that.

Athletes have been inflating their height since they started listing it

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
It’s what google told me

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Shrapnig posted:

Pretty sure he's 5'7". Think he's even said that.

Athletes have been inflating their height since they started listing it

His wife is 5'7", so its pretty easy to see he's no taller than that.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Well, I guess they're not hitting the backboard today, that wind makes that hole look super hard

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo Lee just destroyed that