Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Squiggly posted:

Lmao if you think half the people posting are gonna sign up

I will run a game in this thread right now if I can get 7 people to sign up.

C9.

9 players
2 scum
0-1 doctor
0-1 cop

signups:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I have a mid-to-large game set to post when mistborn is filled but i don't want to be gauche

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Jump King posted:

C9.

9 players
2 scum
0-1 doctor
0-1 cop

signups:

dark baby 2

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Jump King posted:

C9.

9 players
2 scum
0-1 doctor
0-1 cop

signups:

okay explain it for the neophyte, how do these numbers math out to 7 people

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

DGK2000 posted:

If I make anyone uncomfortable or unwelcome please tell me as it really isn't my intent. I'd rather everyone be happy. Except ConorT

I agree with this. We're all here reading words on a screen and, unfortunately, that is often hard to convey tone. What can be meant as engaging in a dialog can often easily be misread as being an abrasive rear end in a top hat. I know that I myself have been guilty of it from both sides.

I love everyone in this community and if my posts ever come across as unnecessarily aggressive, I hope people will point that out to me so that I can adjust.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

OK so its a draft.
You figure out a good number of players for this, I don't know, I am not a math person. But for the example lets just say 10 right now. 10 people sign up for the draft, and you get a list of 30 roles. And then you do the typical draft thing of grabbing your first pick and yadda yadda till everyone gets 3 roles.

There will be 3 games of mafia, so these 30 roles go with those 3 games, but you don't know which roles will go with which game. As these games get played you'll get points for how the roles do, so complete a win condition is like 5 points or whatever and you also get points for living longer. But also certain actions give you points, like if you pick up a seer and the seer gets a evil result that gets a certain amount of points, but you could get funky with it too where like a reverse seer gets the same amount of of points even though they are going to see more people as evil.

Again don't know how to do the number stuff to make all of this work but someone should run this because it would be dumb and fun~

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

It’s also kinda messed up when we’ve been having community wide conversations about people being comfortable in this community, only to have the members of the community come in and attack someone because they basically don’t recognize them?

I agree, and think that rereg should apologize to us for doing that!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

okay explain it for the neophyte, how do these numbers math out to 7 people

I have never played Mafia before but my read is there are 9 players in this game, two must be scum, one may be doctor, one may be cop, and the rest are just civilians.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Snooze Cruise posted:

OK so its a draft.
You figure out a good number of players for this, I don't know, I am not a math person. But for the example lets just say 10 right now. 10 people sign up for the draft, and you get a list of 30 roles. And then you do the typical draft thing of grabbing your first pick and yadda yadda till everyone gets 3 roles.

There will be 3 games of mafia, so these 30 roles go with those 3 games, but you don't know which roles will go with which game. As these games get played you'll get points for how the roles do, so complete a win condition is like 5 points or whatever and you also get points for living longer. But also certain actions give you points, like if you pick up a seer and the seer gets a evil result that gets a certain amount of points, but you could get funky with it too where like a reverse seer gets the same amount of of points even though they are going to see more people as evil.

Again don't know how to do the number stuff to make all of this work but someone should run this because it would be dumb and fun~

hmmm, I like it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CapitalistPig posted:

hmmm, I like it.

oh a good excuse to have a jester in a game too because then you have this meta thing of like "well we know there is a jester in one of these games because of the draft but is it this one???"

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Leperflesh posted:

I have never played Mafia before but my read is there are 9 players in this game, two must be scum, one may be doctor, one may be cop, and the rest are just civilians.

That’s correct

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Look can we move a random game out of here and also stop with shitposting for at least a little while to try and actually get some consensus on how to make our community better.

This entire discussion is related to people feeling uncomfortable and not feeling comfortable about speaking up. I've had multiple conversations today with people who have said they feel uncomfortable with some of the recent discussions, specifically ignoring people's views, or telling them to gently caress off. It isn't helping. It doesn't matter who you are, how many or few games you have played, whatever. Everyone's voice should be heard and considered.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mr. F! posted:

That’s correct

I guess the part I'm not clear on is why they asked for 7 signups then

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I guess the part I'm not clear on is why they asked for 7 signups then

im dumb! I meant 9 sign ups!

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Voodoofly posted:

Look can we move a random game out of here and also stop with shitposting for at least a little while to try and actually get some consensus on how to make our community better.

This entire discussion is related to people feeling uncomfortable and not feeling comfortable about speaking up. I've had multiple conversations today with people who have said they feel uncomfortable with some of the recent discussions, specifically ignoring people's views, or telling them to gently caress off. It isn't helping. It doesn't matter who you are, how many or few games you have played, whatever. Everyone's voice should be heard and considered.

I don't care to compare minor routine flames to long-term harrassment and abuse. If this community doesn't want the spicy give-and-take that it used to have, that's totally fine, but the equivocation is inappropriate to me.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I am happy to be on the list of resources to contact.

I am less happy to be an IK, I don't think we need one, and I really like that Leperflesh and Video Games have opened themselves up as resources to escalate to for the community, but if there is a consensus that the community wants an IK, I'd do it.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

t a s t e posted:

I don't care to compare minor routine flames to long-term harrassment and abuse. If this community doesn't want the spicy give-and-take that it used to have, that's totally fine, but the equivocation is inappropriate to me.

Can you earnestly tell me what I am supposed to do when people from this community come to tell me they are uncomfortable by something occurring here? Like I was just suggested as a point of contact for that, I came here publicly to talk about it, and it’s met with you folks hitting out at me for doing so.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

t a s t e posted:

You don't get to decide what is or is not worthy of being "uncomfortable" in a situation, or what is or what is not equivalent. Nobody does. That is the entire point.

People right now do not feel comfortable and I, and others, are asking people to back off for the moment so that everyone feels safe to post in here.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Voodoofly posted:

this type of policing is also... uncomfortable though? like it is a general discussion thread, like yes its important to figure this stuff out but going about this way is just adding to the heighten posting right now

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

Can you earnestly tell me what I am supposed to do when people from this community come to tell me they are uncomfortable by something occurring here? Like I was just suggested as a point of contact for that, I came here publicly to talk about it, and it’s met with you folks hitting out at me for doing so.

Address it without trying to link it to a gotcha, ideally.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Oh mafia community, you haven’t changed at all.

If we just need a thread open/closer, as long as they’re around and know most people, why do they have to be current players?

But as has been pointed out, we don’t need one and never did so

Please stop eating each other and just have fun

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Voodoofly posted:

You don't get to decide what is or is not worthy of being "uncomfortable" in a situation, or what is or what is not equivalent. Nobody does. That is the entire point.

People right now do not feel comfortable and I, and others, are asking people to back off for the moment so that everyone feels safe to post in here.

I have no objection to this when it’s not coupled inappropriately to something of much greater scope.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

How about name names? Call out behavior that’s bad? This is like the 5th post y’all have made being generic. Name names of people who are making others uncomfortable.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Diqnol posted:

Oh mafia community, you haven’t changed at all.

If we just need a thread open/closer, as long as they’re around and know most people, why do they have to be current players?

But as has been pointed out, we don’t need one and never did so

Please stop eating each other and just have fun

Hello Diqnol long time no see. You been all right?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. F! posted:

How about name names? Call out behavior that’s bad? This is like the 5th post y’all have made being generic. Name names of people who are making others uncomfortable.

That’s not really productive, and would probably make things worse

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. F! posted:

I've got a pretty good guess about one name on the list!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Yeah Ive been alright. You Magnus?

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.
In case I need to clarify one more time:

Everyone is allowed an opinion. Everyone should feel comfortable sharing their opinion! Consensus is a good thing!

But my opinion is that (A) we have no need to elect an IK in the first place, (B) if we do then said IK should be someone who is currently active, and (C) who that IK is shouldn't be decided solely by people who don't currently play Mafia.

If you're an oldhead who stopped playing Mafia please, come back! We always need more players! But I don't feel the need to apologize for pointing out, in the face of mods/admins who (admittedly & understandably) aren't familiar with the community here at all, that a lot of the support for an IK is coming from people who stopped playing (who in turn are supporting someone who has also mostly stopped playing).

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Everyone is allowed an opinion. Everyone should feel comfortable sharing their opinion! Consensus is a good thing!

I agree, I apologize for misreading intent in the initial post.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Diqnol posted:

Yeah Ive been alright. You Magnus?

Sure am.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I really wish people took what Voodoo and Sandwolf are saying seriously and wouldn't react defensively.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My Second Re-Reg posted:

But my opinion is that (A) we have no need to elect an IK in the first place, (B) if we do then said IK should be someone who is currently active, and (C) who that IK is shouldn't be decided solely by people who don't currently play Mafia.

If you're an oldhead who stopped playing Mafia please, come back! We always need more players! But I don't feel the need to apologize for pointing out, in the face of mods/admins who (admittedly & understandably) aren't familiar with the community here at all, that a lot of the support for an IK is coming from people who stopped playing (who in turn are supporting someone who has also mostly stopped playing).

Can you just explain to us the value of a current player poster over a non current but active poster? Is it that they know more about offending behavior? I would argue the latter is more valuable in a position of power because no dog in the fight allows a greater degree of impartiality.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
tbc i do agree with most of that voodoofly post but being like stop shitposting, only talk about this, is just... not the way to go about it

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 24, 2023

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Mr. F! posted:

Sure am.

My baby Magnus, I missed you pal

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

My only real comment on this whole fracas is it just emphasizes how much the point of contact with buttons should come from outside the community. Happy that Sandwolf is useful as the liason for people to think they're cool and level-headed (because they are), but there's enough clashing personalities/philosophies that "what is crossing the line" should be an outside decision when it's brought up at all, lol

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

My Second Re-Reg posted:

That’s perfectly fine, I think that point is a good one to raise. I only took offense at the way you worded said point. Which you’ve clarified and requires no further explanation on my end

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Pinterest Mom posted:

I really wish people took what Voodoo and Sandwolf are saying seriously and wouldn't react defensively.

also this

Squiggly
Jan 25, 2006

I'm Your Huckleberry

Pinterest Mom posted:

They were actually super reasonable and earnest posts, but trolls gonna troll

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I like when the M2RR guy was mean to us, it really made me respect him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Sandwolf posted:

Talk to the people in PMs and try to address it rather than a vague scolding. Nobody is legitimately trying to make anyone uncomfortable, they're just posting on Something Awful