Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

digitalist posted:

Many months ago I used a 35mm to 120 take up spool with a roll of Kodak TMax 100. Sadly I screwed up most of the shots, probably because I didn't attach the film to the takeup spool properly (use tape), which may have led to the film getting snagged. I should probably try it again. Thinking back on it it was difficult to estimate what would actually end up in the photo, I with more practice I could have probably avoided the trees in the bottom right. Anyway, here's the first photo and probably the best that I got from the roll.

The takeup spool was pretty similar to this one, https://www.printables.com/model/228999-120-takeup-spool-for-35mm-film

it would be super easy caf those trees out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

It's new camera day

Feels like my endgame 6x6. So far I'm getting along with it really well. It's got a lot of really well thought out design points as well as some oddities.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

eggsovereasy posted:

it would be super easy caf those trees out

Yeah, I was being lazy about that. The aspect ratio doesn't really fit into anything I've been working towards so I was having a hard time imagining where it belonged. Although, it could be a good start for something new. I was also hoping I could salvage a few of the others and post them here but the light leaks did a number on the others so it looks like that's it, for now.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Looks like the Capture One Pro licenses are changing,

quote:

Upcoming changes to our perpetual license

Hi digitalist,

Over the past few years many of you have told us you want access to new tools and improvements sooner, rather than have them all in one ‘major’ version of Capture One Pro at the end of each year. That’s why we’ve been investing heavily in our technology to be able release features to you as soon as they are ready. Now we’re ready to fully embrace this approach.

From 2023 we will no longer be tied to an annual cycle for major releases. As a result, there will not be a Capture One 24. Instead, we will continuously release new tools and features on a rolling basis throughout the year.

Alongside this, we will also be making changes to our perpetual licenses from February 1, 2023. Here’s what’s changing:

New perpetual licenses will include updates with bug fixes until the next version, but new features released after purchase will not be included.

Upgrade pricing will no longer be available and will be replaced with a new loyalty scheme. More details will be announced on February 1, 2023.

Here’s how it affects you:
Happy with your current version of Capture One Pro? Great, there’s nothing you need to do.

If you do want to get our latest version, Capture One Pro 23, our upgrade pricing is open to you until January 31, 2023. By purchasing before this date you will receive all updates including new features until September 30, 2023. You can access this by logging into your account on our website.

You can find more details of the changes and how it affects you on this page.

Thank you as always for being part of the Capture One community. We’re excited to share our new products and features with you over the coming months, and hope you’ll enjoy using them as much as we have creating them!

Thank you,
The Capture One Team

Not sure what to think about this just yet, I guess it depends on whatever the "loyalty scheme" turns out to be but I'm not all that tempted to spend 250$ to find out. C1Pro does what I need to do as is so I'll probably just ride this version as far as it can take me.

e: I had forgotten the Adobe/Lightroom subscription is regularly priced at ~25$ a month which makes me feel a bit better.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 6, 2022

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

digitalist posted:

Looks like the Capture One Pro licenses are changing,
http://imgur.com/
Not sure what to think about this just yet, I guess it depends on whatever the "loyalty scheme" turns out to be but I'm not all that tempted to spend 250$ to find out. C1Pro does what I need to do as is so I'll probably just ride this version as far as it can take me.

e: I had forgotten the Adobe/Lightroom subscription is regularly priced at ~25$ a month which makes me feel a bit better.

I know it changes based on where you live but the Adobe Photography plan which includes all versions of Lr and Ps, as well as some cloud storage is £10/mo (so I guess ~ $12US/$15CAD/$∞AUS).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

To me, the explanation given by the company effectively ends perpetual licenses because the restrictions will guarantee that no one wants to pay for it. Sure, it's technically still available still but if you buy a copy on October 1 2023 and they launch Awesome New Feature on November 1, guess what, you have to buy a new copy to get it. And I assume this includes any updates for new cameras/lenses. Gonna be a small minority that's willing to sign up for that.

Their subscription rates aren't really that great a deal either, the LR+PS combo costs $4 less and you get everyone's favorite image editor out of it (which has good utility beyond processing photos). If you buy a year at a time Capture One is cheaper.. but again, you lose out on photoshop.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Helen Highwater posted:

I know it changes based on where you live but the Adobe Photography plan which includes all versions of Lr and Ps, as well as some cloud storage is £10/mo (so I guess ~ $12US/$15CAD/$∞AUS).

It looks like we're getting the Canadian discount with Adobe products, just like with housing, cell phones, internet, food... :smith:

xzzy posted:

To me, the explanation given by the company effectively ends perpetual licenses because the restrictions will guarantee that no one wants to pay for it. Sure, it's technically still available still but if you buy a copy on October 1 2023 and they launch Awesome New Feature on November 1, guess what, you have to buy a new copy to get it. And I assume this includes any updates for new cameras/lenses. Gonna be a small minority that's willing to sign up for that.

Their subscription rates aren't really that great a deal either, the LR+PS combo costs $4 less and you get everyone's favorite image editor out of it (which has good utility beyond processing photos). If you buy a year at a time Capture One is cheaper.. but again, you lose out on photoshop.

Yeah, that part is definitely an improvement, hopefully it will help them become a stronger competitor in the field. Their subscription rates are... well "not great" is a good way to put it, for 30$ more you can own the software outright which I would pick over paying monthly and getting nothing if you end your subscription.

I'm pretty sure these prices are CAD

edit: I've been using Affinity to replace Photoshop and I'm satisfied with the product. I picked up Photo, Publisher, and design for ~170 CAD a year ago, and they just released the affinity 2 suite. I think I'll just pick up Affinity Photo 2 for 60$ CAD, but I want to go through the new features and see if it's worth it.

edit2: I'm starting to wonder if I could replace C1Pro with Affinity 2 although it still lacks the library management stuff C1Pro/Lightroom have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NqrMWlU3go

digitalist fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Dec 8, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

:flashfap: NEW TECH :flashfap:

Adobe published a new version of Adobe Camera Raw, 15.1, which has a HDR photo editing tech preview feature. I edited a few old photos to REC.2020 HDR instead of sRGB SDR.

I used LG C2, Windows 11 in HDR mode, Google Chrome. You can test if your setup works in this page: https://gregbenzphotography.com/hdr/

Here's a link to my edits. I say it works very well and I can't wait until Lightroom gets support to edit photos in HDR. ACR works well, but it's a bit clunky after using LR for last 15 years...

It was hard to exactly match to the old SDR edits, but I tried my best. Of course because HDR in still photography is quite new, I probably cranked some settings a bit more than usual, because I'm just so excited :v:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 28, 2022

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Helen Highwater posted:

"Every" black friday the Plan seems to be on discount. A year costs 80-90€. This year it was 80€ from amazon.de. So that makes it 6,7€/month. It adds time to your sub, so when it expires the montly billing resumes. But when they sell a new year every year, you don't seemingly need to use a monthly sub anymore.

Also a Lumix 50/1.4 was on sale yesterday. 1300€ new from local camera shop. Welp. It is a huge rear end brick, way larger than it needs to be. But it's made completely of metal, which is nice. Feels a lot nicer in hand than the 50/1.8. I can probably seel the 50/1.8 for 200-300€ so in the end I end up paying only 1000-1100€ for the upgrade. I can also probably swap the 50/1.4 Lumix to a Sigma DG DN 50/1.4 or 50/1.2 when it releases, with only a small extra charge.

I can't recommend the 50/1.4 Lumix for anyone, because it's such a huge rear end expensive brick. But for 1300€, why not try it out..

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Dec 28, 2022

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another reason to be mad at Adobe:

https://toot.cafe/@baldur/109630505660962387

(every photo you sync to their cloud gets used as input for machine learning stuff, unless you opt out in the privacy settings)

Joke's on them using my pictures to train an AI, unless it's a tool to identify lovely photos.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

xzzy posted:

Another reason to be mad at Adobe:

https://toot.cafe/@baldur/109630505660962387

(every photo you sync to their cloud gets used as input for machine learning stuff, unless you opt out in the privacy settings)

Joke's on them using my pictures to train an AI, unless it's a tool to identify lovely photos.

Just start feeding it goatse

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
They've had Al/ML tools for years as a major point of differentiation. Things like content aware fill.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
A lot of the AI sites said they have scraped the net for training their AI without any permission.

I honestly have no idea how they haven't been sued by every past (And current) artists estate for compensation from their revenue streams yet. I would guess there is likely movement within the EU and other governments to enact some laws and recompense since this is so new. Having a complete index of images used would be a good start, and forcing them to dump current trained data if they can't show one.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 5, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So Getty is going after the AI companies for scrapping their pictures to train their systems
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64285227

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Saw that. I have a feeling Adobe is going to dump their data training from their cloud service. Someone mentioned if an employee from a media company makes an image, it's automatically copyrighted before it hits anyones service. Adobe saying they can use that copyrighted image unless you opt out isn't going to hold much weight when you've got a media department from any fortune 500 company coming after you for compensation.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 19, 2023

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

I got a digital camera - mainly for streaming - early last year. I then started fannying about taking pictures, helped a lot by various threads here.

A week ago today I launched a website selling my prints, and have just posted off my first batch of sales!

I'm not posting this to shill my site. I just wanted to post about how incredibly weird it is going through the process of realising that I can create things that actually look nice, and that people want to pay for. I've spent years as a comedian (i.e. someone with no aesthetic value whatsoever), so pivoting to producing things that are supposed to look nice and putting them out into the world for people to look at has been one hell of a ride.

There's been a whole lot of impostor syndrome to deal with, but by god I've done it anyway. This has also largely coincided with a diagnosis of ADHD and a looming diagnosis of autism, so I've very much been using photography as a way of exploring this new revelation about myself.

So yeah. Thanks, The Dorkroom. You've unwittingly and unknowingly helped me think that maybe I can make...art. What a concept.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That's very cool, congratulations

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone in here like to plan out compositions involving the sun 7 months in advance?

I'm building up plans for the annular eclipse that passes through the western US this October and so far my favorite setting is Monument Valley. I'll make some backup plans in the region if I can't sort out access on the Navajo reservation. It's basically all BLM land out there so that part should be easy.

Just curious if anyone else in here does this sort of thing and has advice/anecdotes.

(planning the April eclipse next year is not going as well)

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

xzzy posted:

Anyone in here like to plan out compositions involving the sun 7 months in advance?

I'm building up plans for the annular eclipse that passes through the western US this October and so far my favorite setting is Monument Valley. I'll make some backup plans in the region if I can't sort out access on the Navajo reservation. It's basically all BLM land out there so that part should be easy.

Just curious if anyone else in here does this sort of thing and has advice/anecdotes.

When I go or am planning to a location I generally use suncalc to work out sun set/rise time and direction from my main viewing points or to work out which direction I should walk, but I am not photographing the sun just trying to make best use of it.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Amazon are killing dpreview....

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Yeah just saw. Absolutely sucks. It was hands down the best for in depth reviews. I even enjoyed the YouTube channel if somewhat lighter in tone and details.

I might have to back the site up.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume they'll immediately start up a new site and keep doing their thing. It'll be smaller and lower budget but they've been at it so long I don't know why they'd quit.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah it would suck very badly if we couldn’t get the DPR test scenes done for new cameras going forward, let alone losing all the old ones. You hate to see it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

xzzy posted:

I assume they'll immediately start up a new site and keep doing their thing. It'll be smaller and lower budget but they've been at it so long I don't know why they'd quit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6T3qWI2c-Y

Chris and Jordan at least are :v:

e;

and they're keeping it fresh with some straight-from-2007 megaman sprite edits for their... logo?

ishikabibble fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 21, 2023

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Hey, at least we still have Ken Rockwell :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PetaPixel? :barf:

The photography news community is in pretty bad shape isn't it.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

xzzy posted:

Not that involve the sun per se, but I do take notes on locations I scout for doing large format, and will often make notes on where the sun will at what time of day so I can try to avoid shooting into it (I mostly own old, uncoated lenses that do not handle flare well at all). With seascapes I also have to check the tides.

Something I've been doing for... nearly 15 years (!) is using Google's My Maps to plan out trips. You can drop custom pins (and create multiple layers, so one can be photography, one could be places to stay, etc) and add your own description fields, etc. I use this to help get a good spatial representation of where everything is, helps significantly with planning trips. I use different icons for the pins depending on what gear I need, so I know what to pack/which trips work best to batch together.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Rip DPReview :(

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

curried lamb of God posted:

Hey, at least we still have Ken Rockwell :v:

ken would never sell out to amazon

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
Not sure which thread this belongs in, so here we are!

Anybody here made your own silver nitrate? I took a stab at it today and boy was I horrified the whole time!

https://imgur.com/a/wI57Pa6

I’m curious where I might have hosed up. Maybe allowing it to crystallize in the shade? Shortly after the last image was shot I took the beaker down to the basement in the dark and turned on some fans to ventilate the place from the leftover nitric acid fuming off. The precipitate is still white, so maybe it’s still good.

The plan is to move beyond cyanotypes and into vandykes as a base for my gum bichromate prints. I didn’t want to spend $80 and shipping on 30 grams of prepared silver nitrate, so instead I blew $110 on precursors to make (estimating) 45 grams. :science:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

eggsovereasy posted:

ken would never sell out to amazon

He needs to support his growing family, so never say never

BambooTelegraph
Jan 19, 2010
I’m thinking about building a Pentax 645 with my fun money over a period of 4-5 months. 100 at a time. Would it be smarter for me to save the hundred and just buy a set or build it over time 100 here 200 there until I have a camera?

I did find a still in very good condition graphic reflex 2 that I could trade in for a few hundred to help pay for a medium format but am unsure as it’s still in great condition… any thoughts?

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I’d get it all at once so you can film test it. Would suck to buy some component only to discover after you’re able to do a return that it’s hosed.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Getting it all at once will be cheaper, also the Pentax 645 isn't really a system camera. Fixed backs, fixed viewfinder. Really you'd just be buying a body then a lens.

Have you looked at a Bronica S2A or S2? They're pretty drat affordable and also a true system camera, and extremely lovely.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Odoyle posted:

Not sure which thread this belongs in, so here we are!

Anybody here made your own silver nitrate? I took a stab at it today and boy was I horrified the whole time!

https://imgur.com/a/wI57Pa6

I’m curious where I might have hosed up. Maybe allowing it to crystallize in the shade? Shortly after the last image was shot I took the beaker down to the basement in the dark and turned on some fans to ventilate the place from the leftover nitric acid fuming off. The precipitate is still white, so maybe it’s still good.

The plan is to move beyond cyanotypes and into vandykes as a base for my gum bichromate prints. I didn’t want to spend $80 and shipping on 30 grams of prepared silver nitrate, so instead I blew $110 on precursors to make (estimating) 45 grams. :science:

Mate, I am both a big DIYer and an even more massive cheapskate [ASK]me about spending several afternoons cutting and cleaning grungy glass plates from an ancient hothouse for shooting ambrotypes and even I don't make my own silver nitrate. Just buy it from a wet plate supplier.

I looked into buying in bulk from Alibaba when I was starting out but noped out of the conversation when it turned out it was cheap because they mislabel it to avoid customs/hazmat freight charges. I'm pretty sure that's how my wet plate supplier sources hers though, her prices are lower than any of the chemistry suppliers I checked.

Gearing up for an international move and gonna have to leave several hundred dollars worth of silver nitrate behind :smith: I looked into whether I could boil it down into a more concentrated volume and travel with it as a liquid in a checked bag, but nope.

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!
I’mma do it again when I’m out of AgNO3, and I’mma prepare my own potassium oxalate for kallitypes from KOH and oxalic acid!

The AgNO3 I prepared was perfectly viable because of the presence of nitric acid in daylight. It’ll be super easy to make more as I’ve got quite an excess of nitric acid hanging around now. I’m getting just a hint of how deep into chemistry early photographic pioneers were.

Safety first!

Odoyle fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 7, 2023

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Mate, I am both a big DIYer and an even more massive cheapskate [ASK]me about spending several afternoons cutting and cleaning grungy glass plates from an ancient hothouse for shooting ambrotypes and even I don't make my own silver nitrate. Just buy it from a wet plate supplier.

I looked into buying in bulk from Alibaba when I was starting out but noped out of the conversation when it turned out it was cheap because they mislabel it to avoid customs/hazmat freight charges. I'm pretty sure that's how my wet plate supplier sources hers though, her prices are lower than any of the chemistry suppliers I checked.

Gearing up for an international move and gonna have to leave several hundred dollars worth of silver nitrate behind :smith: I looked into whether I could boil it down into a more concentrated volume and travel with it as a liquid in a checked bag, but nope.

I had similar issues when trying to source ammonium iron(III) oxalate to make cyanotype sensitiser. No-one would sell me any in quantities smaller than 500kg. Eventually I got someone at a Chinese chemical factory on Alibaba to sell me 1kg as a sample and it came mislabelled so that customs wouldn't impound it. None of the materials data sheets, nothing. Just an unlabelled plastic bottle full of green crystals.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Met up with a friend in Tokyo yesterday and these are all the cameras we were using between both of us.

I also bought a box of negatives I'm going to archive.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Last day in Japan and finally bought some camera gear. A 58mm f/1.4 Auto-Rokkor and a broken Minolta A that I'll repair once I get back to Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sotetsu's also a pro choice