Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
it was nice when i was happy i felt comfortable about posting in the thread again since things were made to be out of the open but now there is a lot of scary fighting which i hope gets solved :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Diqnol posted:

Can you just explain to us the value of a current player poster over a non current but active poster? Is it that they know more about offending behavior? I would argue the latter is more valuable in a position of power because no dog in the fight allows a greater degree of impartiality.

If it's an active poster but non-active player I'd see no issue there either; like, you don't have to play or run games so long as you're still a part of the community. But I feel like if we were going to elect an IK (which, again, I sincerely don't see the need) it should be someone who's visibly and routinely active on The Game Room forums in at least some fashion.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Jose Valasquez posted:

Talk to the people in PMs and try to address it rather than a vague scolding. Nobody is legitimately trying to make anyone uncomfortable, they're just posting on Something Awful

I think a public “hey the way this is going is making some people uncomfortable” is fine personally and then specific can go to PM if need be. It seems like in this case those directly involved in the flare up have all kind of worked it out but I think the public statement can be good so that people can see they are being heard and also it’s just a good reminder that this is all supposed to be in good fun but it’s possible to step over a line.

But I think everyone will have differening views which is what makes moderation so hard to begin with etc etc etc

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

My Second Re-Reg posted:

If it's an active poster but non-active player I'd see no issue there either; like, you don't have to play or run games so long as you're still a part of the community. But I feel like if we were going to elect an IK (which, again, I sincerely don't see the need) it should be someone who's visibly and routinely active on The Game Room forums in at least some fashion.

I basically entirely agree with this stance and whilst the initial callout was aggro as hell, it was principally a fine post.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

chaoslord posted:

But I think everyone will have differening views which is what makes moderation so hard to begin with etc etc etc

i feel like we've been fighting about this, forums-wide, non-stop, for like five years :v

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

This whole saga got me to sign up to a game of mafia, you should probably all take a long hard look at yourselves and think about what you’ve done

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

My Second Re-Reg posted:

Then I agree! Thanks for engaging :)

Btw I could do it if nobody wants to and there’s a decision we need one (WE DO NOT)

I post in Diog’s game regularly and averaged 150 posts/game over 100 total when I played here. Also love this little community that put up with me during the hardest time of my life and provided a nice escape

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I think, to just fully and clearly weigh in.

We don't need an IK

But like, maybe 7 or 8 community members with a wide range of styles and community interaction being points of contact, if someone has a problem that can't be handled by the mod of a game, go to whichever one they are personally more comfortable with and voice your concerns. We can work anything out like adults, like we have been.

If forums mod interaction becomes necessary, well, we can go to a forums mod.

We've been a fairly drama free community for a while now.

The RRG stuff, while spawned from this community, is a very different community now.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Good riddance to all those RRG weirdos

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

seriously though what are we even talking about there seems to be a general tone of “we are having an argument” but I cannot for the life of me discern a substantive thing that is being by argued about lol

At least in mafia I know we are vaguely arguing about who’s scum 😅

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Hey schwinne, what’s happening. Always glad to see you here

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Just to say it here and not also in the discord, as someone who has had professional community management hands-on experience I do not mind being a contact point. I'm not really into being an IK since I've done stuff like that as paid work, but if people would like me to be a relatively joyless but level head to bounce concerns off of to make sure they aren't crazy, my PMs are generally always open.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

did you like my draft idea, i thought it was fun....

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Hal don’t I owe you something

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Diqnol posted:

Hal don’t I owe you something

that was me, it was 20 bucks

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Mafia is fueled by drama and unnecessary back and forth tiffs, Snooze, I will protect you :angel:

shwinnebego posted:

I feel 1000% the same way.

“Lunch” feels like you’re trying to sneakily get away with saying a bad word. I would rather just not invoke the concept at all in my escapist dumb forum lying game.

I also prefer not to have “cops” (cops are awful and I don’t want to pretend to be one in my dumb forum lying game) and I always call them “seers” instead but that hasn’t seemed to catch on here.

This might be a controversial take, but I don't think mafia dudes are roleplaying as cops when they get a role. Though also to be fair, if we're comparing their exact power in the game, it's more like a detective. Mafia also has serial killers, cults (gulp) and.. mafia. There's an inherent "violent" aspect of being eliminated. I've made flavor that has been beautiful and vague and off-screen and also gruesome and detailed in the past because it's a game where people can flex that sort of writing flavor... as long as you're not being a complete weirdo about it and respecting people's boundaries.

Side note, I think if there is a discomfort factor when it comes to flavor or roles of a game, a player should be able to PM the mod and ask if specific things can be left out for their specific role or in the case that they are voted out, OR a warning in the OP in terms of potential flavor, so people can avoid such games if they feel squeamish about methods of being eliminated. Much like you'll see before watching a movie. Again, all within reason of what most flavor has been and not sex cult stuff or beyond.

Like, yeah, it's inherently wrong to kill people, but I do love me some murder mystery (the ones I delay for 5 years~). I also agree that not using wrong and unsavory terms like lynch has been good and smart for the community and just saying "has been voted out" should be no big deal for people. I just think if we're looking at every role under the microscope you can find a lot "wrong", and if there was a deeper roleplay aspect to the community there would be issues but people kind of just see the roles and flavor for what it is. But again, nobody wants to make people uncomfortable knowingly or unknowingly so I think warnings or requests and being able to tinker on the fly for certain people is good.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
hello friends, I appreciate the enthusiasm some have had for my IK candidacy, and welcome it, but I remind everyone to be respectful, always, but especially about this subject.

I am also not sure there is a strict need for an IK, but I also think it's better to have something and not need it than later need something and not have it.

I think it makes sense for an IK to be someone who is of the community but not actively playing games, since mafia games can get heated and it is especially intimidating to a newer player if the person they're posting against has a star next to their name (or, alternatively, if it's the person casing them). An IK is not going to handle any day-to-day conflicts; the community resources we've listed in previous posts can handle those much more effectively. An IK would be a stop-gap in case things get out of hand, like if the discussion today hadn't been successfully deflated and people wound up getting heated and needing a 6-hour time out.

If the consensus is for an IK that is a moderator of TGR broadly, then I would be inadequate for the position, since I do not care about any community on SA other than mafia.

I understand where newer players are coming from in saying that I'm not part of the community anymore. It is a hurtful thing to say, because with context you'd know that I have been a focal point in the community for over a decade, and I only really fell off because of the pandemic, but I understand the sentiment. The reaction the older guard has had to that sentiment has been rude, but I understand why they've reacted this way as well - because I have a long history with this community, and people felt the need to come to my defense.

My desire to be an IK is only because, if we have one, I believe I would be good for the job. If I am not selected to be an IK, either because we as a community decide it really isn't necessary, or because the community decides that it should be someone who is more actively involved, then that's completely fine.

Thank you, and gosh blesh the sa mafia community, new and old.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think cops is a way less degree of bad than lynch when it comes to game terminology but there is an inherent thing where its like they are the good guys in the game. and as you said we could just call them PIs or as pointed out earlier seers. its not one i would like comment on if it pop up in a game but it does seem like something to keep in mind.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Snooze Cruise posted:

i think cops is a way less degree of bad than lynch when it comes to game terminology but there is an inherent thing where its like they are the good guys in the game. and as you said we could just call them PIs or as pointed out earlier seers. its not one i would like comment on if it pop up in a game but it does seem like something to keep in mind.

At the very least people can experiment with a lot of different role flavors/adjacent names for what essentially is the same role which is never a bad thing!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mafia doesn't have good guys and bad guys, it's just different teams. The town does hosed up poo poo the whole time.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I remember when the role "assassin" became "juggernaut" for some reason. The words may change but the game is the same.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

As a ghost of Mafia's angry past, I honestly don't think Mafia needs a dedicated IK. I don't think an internet party game of yelling and lying ever needs to be overly hostile--and if it does, it being a Mafia game shouldn't be an exemption to being reported and dealt with by the actual mods. I think making that delineation clearer in the old days would have helped cut down on the number of problems, myself included.

I also feel like having the Mafia IK step in and sixer someone who is over the line is just going to cause more problems. People lose their poo poo over sixers in general, being sixered mid-argument will amplify that.

As far as terminology goes, I think "lynch" has bad connotations and should get replaced, "cop" less so, but I'd say just go with whatever word the mod wants to use. Vote out, majority, dunk, ostracize, recycle, if it fits a flavor theme and doesn't call to mind actual bad events from history, go for it.

I blame Max autobanning for resummoning some of us.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Feel like we need a votefinder host more than an IK!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pinterest Mom posted:

i feel like we've been fighting about this, forums-wide, non-stop, for like five years :v

It's an ongoing problem. And we see it in Games a lot too. It feels like SA, speaking in incredibly broad strokes, is broken in two groups - one group wants stricter moderation on threads, more probations on shitposting, and more banning of trolls, as they see shitposting and trolling as distracting and disrupting to threads. The other side wants less moderation, and more free trolling, as they see their trolling as harmless fun or even necessary to keep threads more lighthearted.

These tend to mix like oil and water.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Feel like we need a votefinder host more than an IK!

Been sayin this

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm happy enough to just go with the majority but we avoid the use of 'lynch' because the bad connotations are potentially triggering or unwelcoming.

I broadly think that lunch is both sufficiently commonplace as a word and obviously ridiculous in context here to avoid both of these circumstances.

And from there I favour the least restriction on language as is reasonable.

Mr. Humalong posted:

Been sayin this

Like what do you need to do to make this work? I have basically 0 tech knowledge but if it's just putting down cash for a hosting site then I'm willing to pay a monthly sub or whatever for mafia.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

Can we move away from saying lunch too? Like I don't really know if we can pat ourselves on the back for moving away from using lynch if we are just changing one letter and saying the same thing but coded.

Ive been using Vote and Execute lately personally, lunch never felt right to me

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Natural 20 posted:

Like what do you need to do to make this work? I have basically 0 tech knowledge but if it's just putting down cash for a hosting site then I'm willing to pay a monthly sub or whatever for mafia.

I checked earlier in the thread:

Votefinder Info posted:

Hello, friends! As many of you likely know, Alli has graciously hosted and maintained Votefinder for the SA Mafia community since 2016 (six years!), but she is ready to move on and would like to find someone that she can transition ownership of the bot to.

She can provide the codebase, a database dump, and the configuration files that are currently in place on the server that Votefinder runs on today - but she will not be able to provide the server itself in perpetuity as it currently runs on a personal server.
Gory technical details: Votefinder currently runs on a Linux server using nginx and uwsgi, and has a mysql database as well. The codebase itself is Python/Django.

The new owner will need to provide a new server on which to host Votefinder, and (put simply) have enough knowledge to actually do that given all of the above - Alli doesn't have the bandwidth to teach someone new how to do this from scratch. If you're interested in taking this on, please post here, PM me, or ping me on the SA Mafia Discord (linked in the OP). We'll figure out logistics from there.

Lats but not least... Votefinder's been a fantastic tool for the community, both from a vote-counting perspective and also as a mind-boggling record of over 1,350 games of Mafia played on SA over the last 12 years. I really appreciate the time and effort Alli's put into keeping it running - thank you!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Ive been using Vote and Execute lately personally, lunch never felt right to me

launch them (into the sun)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

EccoRaven posted:

I remember when the role "assassin" became "juggernaut" for some reason. The words may change but the game is the same.

I thought there was a functional difference between the roles in how they interact with disruptive/redirective roles?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

chaoslord posted:

I think a public “hey the way this is going is making some people uncomfortable” is fine personally and then specific can go to PM if need be.
This particular issue seems to be resolved and I don't want to revive it, but as a meta discussion of how to handle conflicts I think the issue with this is that there were a whole lot of people posting in a lot of ways and it still isn't clear what was making people uncomfortable. When it's unclear what the actual issue is everyone will just go

That's why I think it would be more effective to contact individuals about specific things they are doing that are making people uncomfortable. A general "hey everyone chill a bit" along with that is fine.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'm going to try to handle the vf thing, if you want to talk about it, talk to me. just give me a day on this before reaching out to allie

E: context here, i had vf before allie did, and transfered it to her. i'll ask for it back and we can work it out from there

my understanding is that ep wanted it, and I'll abide by that i just think i might have a better point of contact here than most

Jump King fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 23, 2023

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I checked earlier in the thread:

It seemed like the handoff had been Work In Progress for a little while with scheduling not lining up to really complete things, but unsure where it is at now

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Jump King posted:

I'm going to try to handle the vf thing, if you want to talk about it, talk to me. just give me a day on this before reaching out to allie

:nice:

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

If we need someplace to host it I can host it for free (votefinder that is)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

This particular issue seems to be resolved and I don't want to revive it, but as a meta discussion of how to handle conflicts I think the issue with this is that there were a whole lot of people posting in a lot of ways and it still isn't clear what was making people uncomfortable. When it's unclear what the actual issue is everyone will just go

That's why I think it would be more effective to contact individuals about specific things they are doing that are making people uncomfortable. A general "hey everyone chill a bit" along with that is fine.
Yeah i think so but also we should try not to be dismissive to people that feel like they're not being heard, that's been the root of a lot of problems here i feel like.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Mr. F! posted:

If we need someplace to host it I can host it for free (votefinder that is)

Yes I was planning on using one of the machines you gave me

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jump King posted:

Yes I was planning on using one of the machines you gave me

Nice

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Jump King posted:

my understanding is that ep wanted it, and I'll abide by that i just think i might have a better point of contact here than most

I don't think I wanted it per se, I was just the most technical person around who also knows Django.

I can provide hosting for it, I actually already have servers up for both the main and beta sites - I'm just really drowning in job/personal stuff ATM and have not had the time to touch anything

If you want to host it on local hardware that's cool too, as long as it/your connection is reliable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

mags has hosting he can provide, its a simple service to run. I have web dev experience and am switching jobs so i have some free time right now but i definitely dont want to be doing a bunch of poo poo. mostly i just think once its in one of our hands it'll be easier to figure stuff out with it