Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Just remember that Microsoft (and all the other butt-companies including Amazon and Alphabet) have lost customer data, and don't have any guarantees about being able to recover anything.

Yeah it’s also going on icloud as well and local copies on my pc.. also the really important stuff goes into 1password as well which gets backed up wherever they do it.

Nothings infallible but I feel like I’ve got some good redundancy.

I used to back stuff up on dvd-roms as well but haven’t had an optical drive in a system for a while so I have no idea how I’d restore anything off these presumably bit-rotting discs anymore anyway :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Corb3t posted:

Unraid 6.12 is adding zfs support

I think the next time 14TB EasyStores go on sale, I’ll pick up 2x of them and do the data shuffle, move data off 4x10TB drives, and reformat them for zfs pool for faster access to certain files.
Neat, depending on how much a pain in the rear end TrueNAS will make continued usage of Docker. gently caress Kubernetes.

--edit:

If UnRAID is putting their RAID implementation on top of a zvol created on top of a pair of mirrored disks, they're incurring exactly the same cputime-for-no-benefit.
Wait what? Nevermind then.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Semi-related but goddamn do I hate the current trend of projects using Discord for everything now instead of a forum. Like, I can certainly see its place for community engagement but trying to search for a solution to an issue or use-case in a single massive ongoing chat loving sucks. I get that this is probably just "old man yells at cloud" but I hate it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Also, this TrueCharts Docker-Compose stuff mentioned earlier, doesn't it just spin up a k3s container? You still have to deal with this bullshit like the Kubernetes control plane burning a CPU core.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

Semi-related but goddamn do I hate the current trend of projects using Discord for everything now instead of a forum. Like, I can certainly see its place for community engagement but trying to search for a solution to an issue or use-case in a single massive ongoing chat loving sucks. I get that this is probably just "old man yells at cloud" but I hate it.

I'll yell at those clouds with you, I hate dealing with Discord.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Any software/platform/whatever that has solely "for support, join our discord" I will immediately not use. User-hostile doesn't begin to describe that.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Neat, depending on how much a pain in the rear end TrueNAS will make continued usage of Docker. gently caress Kubernetes.

Honest question, why? My stance is that I'm never going to write my own config files for this stuff and if I can even tell which container platform is running (without reading the logs or whatever), the abstraction has failed. The only thing that really matters is what "apps" are available for whatever platform the software is using. Well, that or if using said platform is a pain in the rear end, c.f. my previous post in this thread.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

power crystals posted:

Honest question, why? My stance is that I'm never going to write my own config files for this stuff and if I can even tell which container platform is running (without reading the logs or whatever), the abstraction has failed. The only thing that really matters is what "apps" are available for whatever platform the software is using. Well, that or if using said platform is a pain in the rear end, c.f. my previous post in this thread.

My problem with it is it's like using a flamethrower to trim your hedges. There's a whole lot of unneeded overhead when pod man and docker are right there. I get why it's not on BSD but not giving people the option of docker/compose on a Linux based district is IMO pretty stupid.

I also get that everyone hates Docker the company because of how lovely they've been lately trying to monetize everything. But I mean, pod man is also an option.

And the compose solution is Docker in Docker in Kubernetes. No thanks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Discord sucks as being the community space because lord knows what dumb poo poo they’ll try locking behind a paywall at some point.

I use discord but can drop it like a hot potato if they go too far with their nitro-ization.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

My problem with it is it's like using a flamethrower to trim your hedges. There's a whole lot of unneeded overhead when pod man and docker are right there. I get why it's not on BSD but not giving people the option of docker/compose on a Linux based district is IMO pretty stupid.
So far you can just disable k3s and enable dockerd. Then install Portainer. But they've been futzing around more and more with the system and defaults.

I mean, you can probably just apt install docker regardless in future, it's just annoying, because it won't last across updates. So long they don't dick around with the kernel to kinda sabotage it, with what them using a custom one.

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah, the overhead is ridiculous. No one has been able to explain to me in clear words, why the Kubernetes service/module/whatever needs to burn all the CPU cycles of one core 24/7.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 21, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, the overhead is ridiculous. No one has been able to explain to me in clear words, why the Kubernetes service/module/whatever needs to burn all the CPU cycles of one core 24/7.
Oh, that one's easy. It's because it's been developed by people who got so used to the commodification of compute that they can throw unenumerable amounts of cputime at a problem to pretend to fix it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You guys are doing a great job explaining why I will just stick with Unraid for the foreseeable future, warts and all.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Corb3t posted:

You guys are doing a great job explaining why I will just stick with Unraid for the foreseeable future, warts and all.

This is me every time I get a hair across my rear end to spin up my own NAS based on Debian or proxmox. No need, UnRAID is working fine.

Also what's the saying? You run Kubernetes so you can cosplay as a google employee.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I try not to be friendly and non-elitist, but I'm not sure how well I pull it off.

Your good intention is apparent and apprecited :unsmith:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Yeah BSD I've learned a lot from your posts regardless of tone (perceived or not).

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Clearly I haven't done a good enough job at not being a jerk :v:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Combat Pretzel posted:

So far you can just disable k3s and enable dockerd. Then install Portainer. But they've been futzing around more and more with the system and defaults.

I mean, you can probably just apt install docker regardless in future, it's just annoying, because it won't last across updates. So long they don't dick around with the kernel to kinda sabotage it, with what them using a custom one.

I don't think K3s has that much overhead. It's certainly there, but at least on my CoreOS deployment where I have been messing around with it it's only a couple %'s of cpu and ~700 mb of ram. These VMs are identical other than k3s being installed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Corb3t posted:

It's also why I've stuck with my TrueNAS not-scale install that I've had for the last 7 years. I've upgraded as necessary, not a whole lot of updates these days and......I don't care. I just need it to keep slopping iSCSI, NFS and SMB and it does that just fine.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Motronic posted:

It's also why I've stuck with my TrueNAS not-scale install that I've had for the last 7 years. I've upgraded as necessary, not a whole lot of updates these days and......I don't care. I just need it to keep slopping iSCSI, NFS and SMB and it does that just fine.

Yep this is where I'm at too. Recently set up a little Intel N5105 box and moved the couple services over to that machine. Let the NAS be a NAS and run my services somewhere else.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I recently set up a new system on TrueNAS Scale to migrate away from a Rocky Linux-based NAS that I've been using for almost 5 years. I picked Scale over Core because I already had Ryzen hardware and the documentation was pretty clear that Core's support for that is lacking. I was happy with Rocky but I wanted to see how the GUI management would compare since I was only really using it for Samba+torrents, and I definitely feel that I'm sticking with TrueNAS for the foreseeable future. The file ACL/dataset integration is particularly nice - the only time in the whole process that I've had any issue with permissions was dealing with data from an imported dataset where the UID wasn't even a valid user in the new install, and a quick chmod fixed that.

There are only two real disappointments from the whole migration and I'm sure I can't blame TrueNAS for one, maybe both. The first is that the R7 3700X I pulled from my desktop's X470 Taichi, where it has been running for 4 years, hates my server's new X570 Taichi and when they are paired will reboot unpredictably and frequently. It now lives in a box while I decide whether I want to deal with it again. The second is that so far all my attempts to pass through a GPU and create a Plex server VM with hardware transcoding cause the machine to instantly reboot as soon as I try to turn on the VM. I can get over that since the discrete Plex server I already had still works great.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 23, 2023

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Have you turned on the right features in bios for passthrough?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Eletriarnation posted:

I recently set up a new system on TrueNAS Scale to migrate away from a Rocky Linux-based NAS that I've been using for almost 5 years. I picked Scale over Core because I already had Ryzen hardware and the documentation was pretty clear that Core's support for that is lacking.

?

Works fine for me.

E:

Wibla posted:

Also this - it took me a whole afternoon of fiddling with undocumented acronyms in the BIOS to pass a PCIe USB controller to a VM.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Mar 23, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm replacing the 4tb WD Red drive in my NAS with a 12tb one. Is there a difference between copying all the files over (and then changing the drive letter after to be the same as the previous smaller drive) versus using macrium reflect etc to clone the drive? It's not my OS drive or anything.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

I don't think K3s has that much overhead. It's certainly there, but at least on my CoreOS deployment where I have been messing around with it it's only a couple %'s of cpu and ~700 mb of ram. These VMs are identical other than k3s being installed.

Weird, maybe it’s some TrueNAS specific fuckery. In my old 4-CPU configuration, it was burning 25% total CPU all day long.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I need some help. I have a DS418+ Play that I mainly use as a media box. I download something, copy it to the mapped network drive on my NAS, refresh Plex and voila.

For the last couple of weeks, the file transfers to my NAS a painfully slow. Hovering between 300KB/s and just over 1MB/s, just constantly going up and down. I thought it might be the HDD on my PC that is the initial download location dying as it's pretty old and slow, but if I copy it to my SSD or a USB the transfer speeds are fine and the copying from those new locations to the NAS is still painfully slow.

Not only is it slow, there are times where the copying over just fails - popping up with a error 0x8007003b. Which causes Windows Explorer to constantly hang requiring a bunch of restarts. The only fix for this I've found is to delete the files I've downloaded and re-download them before attempting again.

I can still play back media from my NAS just fine once it's on there, so traffic from my NAS doesn't seem to be affected.

My Setup:
Synology DS418+ Play
Everything connected via Cat6 Ethernet
4x 6TB WD Reds

Steps i've taken:
-Restarting the NAS
-Updating DSM and all the packages
-Doing the drive health check thing on all my drives
-Monitoring the NAS via Resource Monitor for any anomolies

I'm not seeing any red flags on my tests and nothing has fixed the problem. Any help is appreciated.

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

Looten Plunder posted:

I need some help. I have a DS418+ Play that I mainly use as a media box. I download something, copy it to the mapped network drive on my NAS, refresh Plex and voila.

For the last couple of weeks, the file transfers to my NAS a painfully slow. Hovering between 300KB/s and just over 1MB/s, just constantly going up and down. I thought it might be the HDD on my PC that is the initial download location dying as it's pretty old and slow, but if I copy it to my SSD or a USB the transfer speeds are fine and the copying from those new locations to the NAS is still painfully slow.

Not only is it slow, there are times where the copying over just fails - popping up with a error 0x8007003b. Which causes Windows Explorer to constantly hang requiring a bunch of restarts. The only fix for this I've found is to delete the files I've downloaded and re-download them before attempting again.

I can still play back media from my NAS just fine once it's on there, so traffic from my NAS doesn't seem to be affected.

My Setup:
Synology DS418+ Play
Everything connected via Cat6 Ethernet
4x 6TB WD Reds

Steps i've taken:
-Restarting the NAS
-Updating DSM and all the packages
-Doing the drive health check thing on all my drives
-Monitoring the NAS via Resource Monitor for any anomolies

I'm not seeing any red flags on my tests and nothing has fixed the problem. Any help is appreciated.

You may want to try chkdsk (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/chkdsk?tabs=event-viewer) on your PC drive. I know you mentioned it but you did the SMART test on both your PC and NAS? SMART won't find everything but it sounds like you have a bad sector on your PC disk.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just tried chdsk and hasn't seemed to fix anything. I actually did buy a new hard drive though and will install it over the weekend. I just haven't been in a rush to install it since I discovered that downloading to a new location and copying to the NAS is still stupid slow making me figure the problem didn't lie with the old PC drive.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Wibla posted:

I think so, yes. Initially I wasn't seeing any IOMMU groups with lspci and TrueNAS wasn't even giving me the option to pass anything through. After enabling SR-IOV and probably some other stuff that I can't remember, I can see and assign devices; it just can't actually start the configured VM without rebooting.

Computer viking posted:

?

Works fine for me.

Yeah IDK I'm following the docs :shrug: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/gettingstarted/scalehardwareguide/#central-processing-unit-cpu-selection

Might be that things have improved since they wrote this, but I figured I was inviting trouble to disregard it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Eletriarnation posted:

I think so, yes. Initially I wasn't seeing any IOMMU groups with lspci and TrueNAS wasn't even giving me the option to pass anything through. After enabling SR-IOV and probably some other stuff that I can't remember, I can see and assign devices; it just can't actually start the configured VM without rebooting.

Yeah IDK I'm following the docs :shrug: https://www.truenas.com/docs/scale/gettingstarted/scalehardwareguide/#central-processing-unit-cpu-selection

Might be that things have improved since they wrote this, but I figured I was inviting trouble to disregard it.

I've had much better support under the Linux rather than BSD kernel for my devices. I don't really consider BSD a very good pick for something unless you know the hardware is supported by it. You can slam Linux on most things, and it'll work fine though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've had much better support under the Linux rather than BSD kernel for my devices. I don't really consider BSD a very good pick for something unless you know the hardware is supported by it. You can slam Linux on most things, and it'll work fine though.

Wifi support is miles ahead on linux, and the GPU situation is better (though nvidia binary drivers on FreeBSD should just work) - but otherwise I can't say I've noticed any big differences. I've also, somehow, had more luck with PCIe passthrough from a FreeBSD host, but that's from such a small sample size it may not mean anything.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Eletriarnation posted:

Fair enough, I'm not going to complain about someone actually reading the documentation. :)
It does seem to be a bit out of date, though.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

For some anecdata, I've been running FreeNAS/TrueNAS Core since the launch of Naples on ESXi (passing the HBA cards through to the VM). Never had any issues, but if Scale had existed back then I'd've probably chosen that instead. As it stands, I'm too lazy to migrate it.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It's great that a commercial company are blaming an volunteer opensource project for the lack of Zen support, when the vast majority of code comes in the form of code provided to LLVM by AMD. :allears:

They aren't even taking advantage of the micro-architecture optimizations enabled by the above commit, since they don't override the CPUTYPE environment variable which gets inherited from FreeBSD and defaults to Pentium Pro.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
For the Supermicro motherboards with embedded CPUs (Denverton, Xeon-D, Epyc Embedded, etc) many of them come in a + variant (eg M11SDV-8C-LN4F vs M11SDV-8C+-LN4F) that adds a CPU fan.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the fan compatibility? Like is there a standard parts kit for all Supermicros that I could take a 8C and add the fan after the fact to turn it into an 8C+? Or a standard parts kit for Intel/AMD, or specific product families (A2 series vs M11 vs X11)? Or is this anything that people would have DIY'd such that there would be something to work from? Seems like it's probably just heatsink screws with threaded heads and then a second set of screws to hold the fan to the heatsink... maybe supermicro makes it easy and ships all the heatsinks with the threaded heads.

Also is there any standardization at all to xeon-d heatsinks across vendors/etc? Hole patterns the same, and so on? It'd be nice if you could sidestep the whole industrial heatsink thing by just slapping a standard 115x-ILM cooler onto it but of course I doubt that's possible.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

It's great that a commercial company are blaming an volunteer opensource project for the lack of Zen support, when the vast majority of code comes in the form of code provided to LLVM by AMD. :allears:

They aren't even taking advantage of the micro-architecture optimizations enabled by the above commit, since they don't override the CPUTYPE environment variable which gets inherited from FreeBSD and defaults to Pentium Pro.

I've read this a few times and I'm not sure what you're saying - do you mean that Ryzen is actually fully supported on FreeBSD and IXSystems is just too lazy/incompetent to set the variable right, or that as a company they should be working to fix the gaps that AMD has left, or what?

I didn't really read the statement as blaming FreeBSD for what it's worth, especially given how the wonderfully vague phrase "support ... is limited" can mean anything from "this is a garbage fire and will inevitably make you sad" from "this might work perfectly but it just hasn't had the same level of validation." I figured in this case it was more about validation, but just didn't want to take extra chances.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 25, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

I've read this a few times and I'm not sure what you're saying - do you mean that Ryzen is actually fully supported on FreeBSD and IXSystems is just too lazy/incompetent to set the variable right, or that as a company they should be working to fix the gaps that AMD has left, or what?

I didn't really read the statement as blaming FreeBSD for what it's worth, especially given how the wonderfully vague phrase "support ... is limited" can mean anything from "this is a garbage fire and will inevitably make you sad" from "this might work perfectly but it just hasn't had the same level of validation." I figured in this case it was more about validation, but just didn't want to take extra chances.
I'm saying that a company who pays developers could maybe afford to have developers work on whatever they think is missing from FreeBSD instead of simply writing "Support for these platforms is limited on FreeBSD" as if it's not their problem when they're a downstream consumer of opensource software.

One thing I forgot to mention, though, is that for a kernel+userland like FreeBSD, it doesn't make sense to utilize the SIMD instructions found in MMX, SSE, AVX, and so on and so forth - because unless you only compile for the very newest CPUs, each of those assembly instructions has latency associated with them which means it can take longer to execute small and frequent data transfers if the SIMD instructions are used.
That's the reason FreeBSD defaults to the Pentium Pro, because when you're working with data in the kernel (and the little userland that FreeBSD has), the data being operated on are small amounts of data that get operated on very frequently.

As Kung-Fu Jesus mentioned, even Zen1 runs fine - which, honestly, is pretty impressive, considering the huge list of defects that that generation has, which AMD refuses to fix (mostly because it'd require fixing it in hardware and thereby necessitating issuing a recall, but some of them, like 1042, 1048, 1049, 1053, 1095, and 1100 are pretty nasty).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

This is kind of a 'system build' check but as it's for a home server that I just use to store files, I figured the best place to ask would be here.

My current system is no longer booting properly, and I'm fairly sure that the processor and/or motherboard is finally failing. I hadn't really planned to replace it yet so I'd need to do it on a budget. I'm looking for advice on what would work best to do so.

The current hardware:

Supermicro A1SAM-2550F (Intel C2000 processor)
8 GB memory
1x SATA 2.5” SSD (boot/system disk)
1x SATA Optical Drive (Blu-Ray)
2x SATA 3.5” spinning drives
2x SATA 2.5” spinning drives

The case is a 1U metal box that fits nicely on my shelf (it’s not in a rack), and this drive set-up is pretty much all that can fit. I don’t really plan on upgrading the case. I’ve never put any PCI cards in and I’m pretty sure not many would fit anyway.

It’s running Ubuntu Server. What I do with it:

* Regular computer backups (using rsync & custom scripts). This is the primary use for it.

* Archiving of CDs/DVDs. I have it set up to automatically rip any disc I put in the drive. I’ve done Blu-rays but it’s kind of a pain to use MakeMKV on Linux, so I do those on another machine.

* Streaming music (using Navidrome).

* Backing up/saving other files as necessary, and occasional messing around with a few other things on Ubuntu.

It’s only used on the local network and I have no plans to make the files more available outside. I don’t run any VMs on it. It only needs one ethernet connection. When something goes wrong (like failing to boot), I usually plug in a monitor & keyboard and work on it directly.

I haven’t done a lot of research but I’m considering replacing the motherboard & processor with this:
Asus Prime B450M-A II
Athlon 3000G
16 GB memory

I don’t have a particular reason for picking AMD, it’s just that I haven’t found any other reasonably-priced boards with 6 SATA ports. I don’t feel like performance is really a concern.

Power usage is somewhat of a concern. Currently it draws 25-30W (average over a long period of normal use was 27W). I have it shut down at night and come on in the morning both to save power and because the noise actually bothers me a bit when I’m trying to sleep. That ends up at below 20W averaged over the week, which is where I’d like to keep it.

Does anyone have experience using this, or advice on what I should aim for?

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
Good chance that it's the Atom C2000 AVR54 bug. If you're handy with a soldering iron, google "Atom C2000 resistor fix".

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I had heard the C2000 had a bug, but didn't know it was such an easy fix. I was able to put in a pull-up without even needing to solder, as I have some pin connectors around.

That said, I'm not totally sure this was the problem. I don't have a scope so I can't be totally sure, but I checked it with a multimeter prior to the fix. I was seeing a 25MHz signal, nearly 50% duty cycle & 1.8V (rms) so it seemed to be okay. I still dropped the resistor in just to be sure.

I also found that either the VGA output is flaky or the monitor I'm using is, as it cut out about halfway through checking the BIOS. So there still may be other issues.

I have found that the IPMI connection usually works, although it keeps trying to update Java and failing, plus the screen view in the web interface is almost unreadable; about all I can tell is whether it has completed boot or not, which is why I didn't use IPMI before.

I'd still be interested in hearing thoughts on how efficient a non-embedded desktop processor/motherboard would be in this capacity, if anyone has experience with it.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I think a recent low-end conventional desktop processor like the 3000G would be a lot faster than the C2550 and would do that job quite well, but keeping it cool and quiet enough for it to not disturb your sleep in a 1U case could be a challenge. Guru3D tested the 3000G in a B450 motherboard and saw idle power consumption of 25W for the whole system, but full load of 59W which is a lot higher than what you have. An aftermarket 1U cooler might be able to handle that no problem, especially since I doubt it would be under load much. I don't have any experience with coolers that short outside of servers which don't care about noise, so IDK.

I would be tempted in your position to try to find another mITX embedded board, although the requirement for six onboard SATA ports could be a challenge. ASRock makes boards with 4 but the only way to add more would be the PCIe x1 slot or some kind of internal USB 3.0 header -> SATA adapter.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805052866375.html This board from AliExpress has 6 SATA and 4x 2.5GBe, but I have no idea what quality of EFI or support you can expect with it. I wish we could have a Tier-1 manufacturer make a board like this, but with a cheap full-fat laptop chip like the i3-1210U.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Looks like it's not actually working, but it is possibly the SSD or the SATA controller that's gone bad, as I was able to boot it from USB. (Currently the problem seems to be that it's not finding a boot device, and trying to boot on the network, and failing. Except I can't tell for certain what the boot devices are, since I'm stuck with only the tiny IPMI 'preview' screen and and no actual console. I also tried using this but it's kind of a rabbit hole of new things to get working.

Eletriarnation posted:

I would be tempted in your position to try to find another mITX embedded board, although the requirement for six onboard SATA ports could be a challenge. ASRock makes boards with 4 but the only way to add more would be the PCIe x1 slot or some kind of internal USB 3.0 header -> SATA adapter.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805052866375.html This board from AliExpress has 6 SATA and 4x 2.5GBe, but I have no idea what quality of EFI or support you can expect with it. I wish we could have a Tier-1 manufacturer make a board like this, but with a cheap full-fat laptop chip like the i3-1210U.

That second one is tempting but I'm not likely to mess with it. However, I did find that you can get a small PCI-E card with more ports and that might make it good. Even a touch cheaper than going the other route, with maybe the only 'downside' being not a ton of memory. It's still as much as I have now and probably fine. I'd be a lot happier knowing that it's most likely a more efficient system in the end, and even if I don't end up needing it immediately it looks like a viable upgrade route.

e: linked to wrong PCI-E card before.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 28, 2023