Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There are lots of examples in wrestling the same as anything else of unremarkable performers being terrific coaches (or bookers, or agents, or etc.) and great performers being subpar coaches or trainers.

Bryan Danielson was 'trained' by a great performer (Shawn Michaels) who apparently wasn't much of a coach/trainer, and Danielson admitted he was a bad trainer in the ROH days. At least back in the ROH days, Danielson seemed to fall into the same issue that Ted Williams, one of the greatest hitters of all time did, which was being so naturally great at the thing they were great at that they weren't very good at explaining or coaching someone who was struggling at the thing. "Just... don't swing at bad pitches and make sure you make good contact with pitches you can hit" is great if you are preternaturally good at picking which balls to swing at and how to hit them well, less useful if you're struggling.

There are always exceptions who are good at both, but to use the current example it's entirely possible (probable even) that Madison Rayne had to grind and focus super hard to get "okay" at wrestling, which probably taught her lessons that someone who immediately took to it never did. And some people just don't really have great personal/socioemotional skills to teach, others do!

* Okay doublechecking things, Ted Williams improved the Senators' batting in his brief managerial career with them and his Hitting Bible has been helpful to people when he wrote everything out in a book. I know there are anecdotal stories of him doing spring training coaching later in life (him and some other hall of famers) where their tutoring basically boiled down to "... be better at baseball? :shrug:"

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Danielson seems to do best when he is training people like himself, who are 100% dedicated to the craft and have the self-discipline to want to work beyond what is required.
When 20 students are standing there looking at him blankly and seemingly just want to be told what to do, that is when he struggles. There is a scene about it in the Wrestling Road Diaries.

But he seems to be doing better with coaching in AEW, we know that Jade Cargill and others have worked with him a lot.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Bix has a good story about thi:

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1361472158782943234

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I can't imagine watching a Manami Toyota match and thinking at any point "yes, this is something that can be taught"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Like, I have to imagine guys like Fenix and Ospreay would be terrible coaches, as so much of what makes them good is based on them being absurdly athletic in the right ways for how they work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

There are lots of examples in wrestling the same as anything else of unremarkable performers being terrific coaches (or bookers, or agents, or etc.) and great performers being subpar coaches or trainers.

Bryan Danielson was 'trained' by a great performer (Shawn Michaels) who apparently wasn't much of a coach/trainer, and Danielson admitted he was a bad trainer in the ROH days. At least back in the ROH days, Danielson seemed to fall into the same issue that Ted Williams, one of the greatest hitters of all time did, which was being so naturally great at the thing they were great at that they weren't very good at explaining or coaching someone who was struggling at the thing. "Just... don't swing at bad pitches and make sure you make good contact with pitches you can hit" is great if you are preternaturally good at picking which balls to swing at and how to hit them well, less useful if you're struggling.

There are always exceptions who are good at both, but to use the current example it's entirely possible (probable even) that Madison Rayne had to grind and focus super hard to get "okay" at wrestling, which probably taught her lessons that someone who immediately took to it never did. And some people just don't really have great personal/socioemotional skills to teach, others do!

* Okay doublechecking things, Ted Williams improved the Senators' batting in his brief managerial career with them and his Hitting Bible has been helpful to people when he wrote everything out in a book. I know there are anecdotal stories of him doing spring training coaching later in life (him and some other hall of famers) where their tutoring basically boiled down to "... be better at baseball? :shrug:"

Danielson's students don't agree on Bryan not being much of a trainer and Shawn did a good job with his first crop of students.

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
Think Ospreay trained AZM for a bit and she praised him. She's likely another preternaturally gifted athletic person, though

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Chuck Taylor trained Ricochet

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MassRafTer posted:

Danielson's students don't agree on Bryan not being much of a trainer and Shawn did a good job with his first crop of students.
Interesting, I haven't heard Bryan's students talk about him much. I don't even remember who he trained, like Rhett Titus and Shane Hagadorn and that group of people?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I imagine maybe it's a far end of the Dunning-Kruger curve thing? Danielson and Michaels are good enough that they underestimate how good they are?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

Interesting, I haven't heard Bryan's students talk about him much. I don't even remember who he trained, like Rhett Titus and Shane Hagadorn and that group of people?

He trained the second and third classes. The second class with Pelle Primeau started with Punk but then Bryan came on when Punk left. The third class with Rhett started with Bryan and then had Aries when he took over from Bryan. Pelle speaks very highly of him, and those early classes had some very solid workers. They didn't get a lot of chances, and there's some interesting bits of indie politics that in part explain that.

Gaz-L posted:

I imagine maybe it's a far end of the Dunning-Kruger curve thing? Danielson and Michaels are good enough that they underestimate how good they are?

Danielson is a pretty humble guy.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Pylons posted:

Chuck Taylor trained Ricochet

I think you’ll find Ricochet learned everything he knows at the WWE Performance Centre including his signature moves, the Just Happy To Be Here and the Catering Seatfiller

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ricochet used to the be the junior that was mentioned in the same awed tones as Fergil Devitt and Kota Ibushi. Now look at where they all are.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It will never cease to amuse me that Jack Evans was trained by Bryan Alvarez

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lamuella posted:

one of my favorite exchanges from a old Bryan and Vinny TNA review was Vinny saying Jack Evans' gimmick was "being the whitest man alive" and Bryan said "of course it is, I trained him"

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019

Lamuella posted:

this is nearly as devastating of a revelation as finding out that alex abrahantes trained in the hart dungeon

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Lamuella posted:

It was a good deal for both sides. After all, dealing with Jack Evans' way of never stopping talking allowed Bryan to later deal with Meltzer's deal of never stopping talking.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I started going through ROH's back catalog, and while I've already seen a bunch of great contests the one I'm most impressed by thus far is the Dragongate 6-Man (Do FIXER vs. Blood Generation) from Supercard of Honor 2006. The ending stretch is maybe the craziest five minutes of professional wrestling I've ever seen, so much incredible poo poo happening at such a ridiculous pace that commentary goes silent rather than try to keep up. Crowd was going absolutely nuts at all the near falls, cheering after each one because they didn't want to see the match end (as evidenced by the "please don't stop" chant). A magnificent spotfest of the highest order.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
IIRC that is pretty much considered one of the matches that created the 'modern' indie style

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

its a true paradigm shift for the usa

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I started going through ROH's back catalog, and while I've already seen a bunch of great contests the one I'm most impressed by thus far is the Dragongate 6-Man (Do FIXER vs. Blood Generation) from Supercard of Honor 2006. The ending stretch is maybe the craziest five minutes of professional wrestling I've ever seen, so much incredible poo poo happening at such a ridiculous pace that commentary goes silent rather than try to keep up. Crowd was going absolutely nuts at all the near falls, cheering after each one because they didn't want to see the match end (as evidenced by the "please don't stop" chant). A magnificent spotfest of the highest order.

The other matches from that weekend involving the Dragon Gate talent are all really cool.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Watch the ROH tent shows. They’re all awesome and gave us Ring Crew Express.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

Barry Bluejeans posted:

There was a really good article about that on VoW a couple years ago.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
That was a neat read, thanks! I've been referring to Cagematch ratings to determine what to watch, so while I knew the match was highly regarded I had no idea it was so influential.

coconono posted:

Watch the ROH tent shows. They’re all awesome and gave us Ring Crew Express.

MassRafTer posted:

The other matches from that weekend involving the Dragon Gate talent are all really cool.

Thank you for the recommendations!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nT42zpcMko

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

This is up there with the King Kong Bundy Headstart and Andre The Giant Honeycombs commercials in the pantheon of great wrestler commercials.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Bless that business owner for taking a bump

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

oh man cheeseburger's gonna be a champ

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MassRafTer posted:

He trained the second and third classes. The second class with Pelle Primeau started with Punk but then Bryan came on when Punk left. The third class with Rhett started with Bryan and then had Aries when he took over from Bryan. Pelle speaks very highly of him, and those early classes had some very solid workers. They didn't get a lot of chances, and there's some interesting bits of indie politics that in part explain that.

Curious about that because it was always weird to me that ROH trained guys only ever showed up on the lower card of ROH shows and no where else (maybe Grizzly showed up on chikara once idk). I always assumed it was just cause they were super mid but they’re also on cards with the best in the world so how else would they look?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Man’s name is Cheese Burger

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

World famous cheese burger

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

cheesed burger

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Going back to the training thing for a second, the same is true about other sports. Great players are actually more often than not terrible coaches and most legendary coaches played at some level or another, but were usually pretty mediocre.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Going back to the training thing for a second, the same is true about other sports. Great players are actually more often than not terrible coaches and most legendary coaches played at some level or another, but were usually pretty mediocre.

I’ve known for at least 10 years that Van Hammer trained the Briscoes and my brain still can’t process it properly

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Aussie Open v Sydal and Daniels is really great, hope it comes across on the show

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I really like Lady Frost.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lady Frost is so cool

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Penguin Patrol posted: