Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

flatluigi posted:

i really don't think giving a creature permanent +2/+2 and flying is a bad ability. did you think the flying was only for that turn?

no the problem is that its a minus on a single creature that doesnt meaningfully protect itself. if it gave the creature vigilance until eot or was a -1 it would have more relevance. going down to 2 loyalty on down tick is just really bad when you arent getting a card worth of value. the strength of a card like elspeth knight errant is that it ends the game extremely fast which is why it gets away with not really protecting itself very effectively. this is like elspeth knight errant but worse at protecting itself and worse at pressuring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chamale posted:

Looks like they changed the rules of Exalted to work more smoothly online, unless they already made that change and I missed it.

They might in the future, but right now exalted is still a trigger per instance.
Remember this is reminder text, which has no rules value

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

[quote="Khanstant" post=""530672579”"]

I'm also left wondering what the gently caress an angel is in this game.
[/quote]

This thread gets into it. They’re usually artificial beings (like Avacyn), so they can’t become walkers, since they don’t have souls. But certain angels have souls. Serran and Bant angels are made from fallen heroes, and Capennan angels also apparently work a bit different (see: Giada.) so she’s had a lot of contact with all the known planes where angels have souls.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 24, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

HootTheOwl posted:

They don't like mixing counters

:confused:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

They don't like effects placing multiple different types of counters on something at the same time. Crystalline Giant is one counter at a time so it is fine.

So if Elspeth was 2 +1/+1 counters OR flying counter it would be fine but since it is both in one effect no flying counter.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Boxman posted:

This thread gets into it. They’re usually artificial beings (like Avacyn), so they can’t become walkers, since they don’t have souls. But certain angels have souls. Serran and Bant angels are made from fallen heroes, and Capennan angels also apparently work a bit different (see: Giada.) so she’s had a lot of contact with all the known planes where angels have souls.

Haha I actually just read this and was about to ask if there's a way to search for all cards that reference a specific character, not just have their name in the card name. I want to try and make an all Elspeth commander deck. Got the 10 cards with her name on it, but assume there are other cards either depicting her or her stories or her icons and accoutrement.

Maybe wait for Aftermath as she will surely get at least one card mention there. A more general Elspeth and angel/soldier commander deck would be better, but I'd really like to get as close to all Elspeth as I could.

I also thought she was an older character than she is. Is there a better candidate for a commander deck of direct mentions or references? I'd bet maybe Urza but that guy sucks.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Also Crystalline Giant is a lovely design that should have been for alchemy where the client takes care of the randomness and bookkeeping

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

You can use MTG Fandom Wiki, which is pretty well updated. Most characters have a subsection that lists all the in-card references to the character

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Elspeth_Tirel#In-game_references

You can also just use scryfall, searching something like "name:/.*Elspeth.*/ or flavor:Elspeth" https://scryfall.com/search?q=name%3A%2F.*Elspeth.*%2F+or+flavor%3AElspeth

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Crystalline Giant is also from a commander deck and they're waaaaaaay more lenient about readability rules like that for direct-to-eternal-format cards especially ones that aren't in a Limited set.

EDIT: Disregard, it was originally in Ikoria. Yeah that's an extraordinarily bad design for a standard rare.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 24, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

Crystalline Giant is also from a commander deck and they're waaaaaaay more lenient about readability rules like that for direct-to-eternal-format cards especially ones that aren't in a Limited set.

You realize it was originally from Ikoria?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

tbh its also a lot easier if you're using the actual physical token discs they put in packs sometimes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Strong Sauce posted:

You can use MTG Fandom Wiki, which is pretty well updated. Most characters have a subsection that lists all the in-card references to the character

https://mtg.fandom.com/wiki/Elspeth_Tirel#In-game_references

You can also just use scryfall, searching something like "name:/.*Elspeth.*/ or flavor:Elspeth" https://scryfall.com/search?q=name%3A%2F.*Elspeth.*%2F+or+flavor%3AElspeth

Thank you, that's 43 of my deck right there lol.

Amateur Arteur doesn't deserve acorn card status, jamming that in too.

Scryfall hides the art for crusade behind a click, and then shows you the non-christian Elspeth version of the card. I get why the site does it, just clicked it because I was curious what the infamous crusade had to do with Elspeth.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

EDIT: Disregard, it was originally in Ikoria. Yeah that's an extraordinarily bad design for a standard rare.

I assume, at that point, they really thought arena would be the primary tournament engine. It doesnt make sense otherwise

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rinkles posted:

You realize it was originally from Ikoria?

Yes and it was annoying as hell to play and play against in limited.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lord_Magmar posted:

They don't like effects placing multiple different types of counters on something at the same time. Crystalline Giant is one counter at a time so it is fine.

Except,

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Dang I forgot about that elspeth design, what a cool look

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I SUSPECT it might be the case that because this elspeth ONLY does flying counters, there's a good chance flying counters might result in a single creature having several flying counters on it in a good portion of potential boardstates and THAT'S what they're trying to avoid. They COULD solve that by adding more test but they could also solve it by just trusting you to remember the ONE ability that this elspeth can give things.

(Resplendant CAN have that happen but also it's generally only going to be when you've used her ability on the same creature five times and somehow not won the game already.)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Don't doxx me!!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

:captainpop:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I scoop.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

game winning combo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
MAGNIFICENT

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Boxman posted:

god, urza was like the biggest poo poo in the multiverse wasn't he

Edit: oh this is weird... i guess i never really thought about that time gap

https://twitter.com/jay13x/status/1639010788059881474

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 24, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Dudes a eugenecist, of course he is.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So Elspeth loses the gift of a sword full of angel heroin juice, decides to not mercy kill Ajani, wastes A TON of time bickering with Norn like it's Gohan toying with Perfect Cell. When she could have done both.

Jace was right the bowl should have exploded everything.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
talking is a free action

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It wasn't bickering, it was a verbal fight and she owned Norn harder than anyone is going to with a physical or magical blade.

Come to think of it, it's kind of like one of the last WoW lore moments I was around for. They were busy ruining a bunch of characters and stuff built up, and anyway the leader of the Horde, who'd recently been doing some unpopular evil bad guy type stuff, had a moment in a big confrontation between the two big armies, she was still in control despite her lovely behaviour and massive losses/sacrifices and general disregard for many forms of life. Then with one little pissy for she basically tells everyone she doesn't care about any of them and just is using them to do her own thing all along. And basically demoralizes everyone before she flies away on a broomstick cackling some poo poo having exposed herself as too evil for even the usual bad guy team.

Norns in shambles, throwing just any poo poo she can grab at people. All she has is a stupid dog and creepy nerd who don't even have to listen to her anymore.

Urza and Mishra and both losers and all of their progeny are failures.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Tamiyo, Field Researcher feels like a hell of a card in an HBrawl proliferate shell. Does that card see much play in Commander?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

flatluigi posted:

talking is a free action

lol

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Remember in "A Garden Of Flesh" Ashiok made/revealed Elesh Norn was very deeply afraid of Elspeth doing one particular thing:

quote:

But just before the vision of Elspeth disintegrated, she opened her eyes and met Norn's gaze. She looked at Norn with such human pity, with such horrid sympathy, that Norn couldn't breathe.

When the nightmare had well and truly faded from the world, Elesh Norn walked carefully over the courtyard of the Basilica and touched the stones, clean now, pure and holy, where the thing that had been Elspeth Tirel had been birthed. She could not erase Elspeth from her mind. She could not unsee the pity there. She could not bear the thought of something so human unsettling her so completely.

And Elesh Norn knew then, with the same amount of conviction with which she worshiped the Machine Orthodoxy, that in order to purge this new emotion she was feeling, this fear and uncertainty, she would need to find the human, Elspeth Tirel, and rid the Multiverse of her.

Archangel Elspeth Tirel does not see Elesh Norn as someone to fight personally; she sees her as someone young just discovering their personhood and an obstacle to a greater goal via her perspective as an angel.

All of Elesh Norns nightmares have become reality.

quote:

"You're right, Norn," she says. "We aren't so different. We argue. We make mistakes. We have our own wants, dreams, and desires."

Norn's mouth wrenches in confusion and disgust. "What blasphemy is this? We speak only Phyrexia's will—"

Norn swings, but Elspeth ducks out of the way. "You disagreed with Jin-Gitaxias, didn't you? Phyrexia wants you to ignore me, but you want differently."

A shout peels from Norn's throat. Shards of fallen soldiers slice through the air, blades of the dead, each aimed at Elspeth. "You! . . . You understand nothing of Phyrexia!"

Elspeth looks down on the praetor before her. A storm of blades swirl around Norn like the petals of a porcelain flower. "We are beyond your comprehension, beyond your reach! When we have conquered the Multiverse you've held so dear, you will kneel at our feet and bask in the glory of our creation! You will not ruin everything we've achieved. Eons from now you will be forgotten, and we will remain the eternal hierophant, Elesh Norn!"

"That's just what I mean. You want people to worship Elesh Norn, don't you? Phyrexia doesn't matter to you. It never has. Power's the only thing you care about."

The swords around Elesh Norn hang still and silent. A sanguine glow of rage builds from behind them. "You . . . I hate you!" Like the arrows of an army, the swords flying toward her—shards pulled now from the bridge, from the walls, from the very body of Phyrexia.

So she's finally learned to speak for herself, has she? Well, that's no longer Elspeth's concern. The swords, however . . .

Only one shot at this. If Elspeth aligns everything right . . .

She flies straight for the wall. At the very last moment she pulls back. Momentum turns her stomach, holds her in a vise, but she makes the turn up and away. The blades don't have the space. With all her problems concentrated in one place, Elspeth at last unleashes a ray of light.

When the light fades, she's already halfway down the bridge, toward the tree. The hopes of the Multiverse rest on her plumed shoulders.

She does not hear Jin-Gitaxias get to his feet—but she does hear Norn's scream.

"Come back here! I wasn't finished with you!"

Getting a phyrexian to voluntarily use "I", especially a Praetor like Elesh Norn means that Elspeth probably has inflicted lots of sanity damage on Norn.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Chamale posted:

Reverse Three-Card Magic is fun. You have to make the worst possible three-card deck that's still capable of winning a game against a goldfish. Players don't lose to having no cards in their library.

You can make a really slow deck with Fountain of Cho + Sustaining Spirit + Sage's Reverie.

There was a thread years ago for Three Card Magic (and the inverse).

If I recall, the winning slow deck was Sand Silos + Broodstar + Naked Singularity, which took about 600+ turns to be able to kill you.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

redneck nazgul posted:

There was a thread years ago for Three Card Magic (and the inverse).

If I recall, the winning slow deck was Sand Silos + Broodstar + Naked Singularity, which took about 600+ turns to be able to kill you.

Impressively slow, but there's some rock-paper-scissors aspect since that deck beats Sand Silos + Copper Tablet

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Qwertycoatl posted:

Impressively slow, but there's some rock-paper-scissors aspect since that deck beats Sand Silos + Copper Tablet

https://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/details.aspx?multiverseid=19602

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Well, going to my first in-person magic event in about 8 years tonight! Unfortunately the only game store within 45 miles of me runs 2 Modern events a week and literally no other format, so I'm bring a fresh Death and Taxes deck (this 75 in particular) because my rusted, puny brain can't handle anything more complex than that right now. If I can win one game I'll consider the night a success.

Anyone have experience with modern D&T and have some general advice?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mr. Peepers posted:

Well, going to my first in-person magic event in about 8 years tonight! Unfortunately the only game store within 45 miles of me runs 2 Modern events a week and literally no other format, so I'm bring a fresh Death and Taxes deck (this 75 in particular) because my rusted, puny brain can't handle anything more complex than that right now. If I can win one game I'll consider the night a success.

Anyone have experience with modern D&T and have some general advice?

Good luck...

but seriously DnT has a pretty hard time currently because everything is incredibly efficient. You have to really know when to try and turn the corner to start putting pressure on them.

As someone who played humans for a hot minute before swapping over to elemental tribal, really think about if a hand actually wins you the game or just slows down the opponent, because there's a difference and most good decks grind incredibly well now.

Edit: depending on your store, I would seriously, seriously consider either adding blue for Lavinia or playing the mono-w chancellor tech because your biggest obstacle is that the elementals don't get taxed and can just wipe your board without something like forge tender out

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 24, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Giving a guy +2/+2 and flying is good. Reminds me of the 3 mana Ajani. But it's a 3 mana effect.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

holy moly

Predictions were right, Wrenn is the new Nissa now and has a World Tree

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What’s a world tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin