Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

McSpankWich posted:

We've been eating lots of pork tenderloin because it's like $1.38-$1.50lb at Sam's Club usually. Cheapest meat by far

oh definitely, made some burgs tonight, was like 15 dollars for 3 lbs of ground beef. The thin pork tenderloins are around 4 dollars for a pack of 10, which is amazing for pork burgs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Last night I had a nightmare.. My alarm went off and we were having pulled pork today.. but I never put the pork in the smoker.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

tater_salad posted:

Last night I had a nightmare.. My alarm went off and we were having pulled pork today.. but I never put the pork in the smoker.

:stonk:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
There's a YouTube guy with a channel called Meat Church BBQ that I follow. He just did a smoked meatloaf video, think I'm going to try it maybe tomorrow. Dang I love meatloaf.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Pork butts are on sale for 77 cents a pound at kroger near me in DFW. I grabbed a couple just because. I wish i had space for a big freezer.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

tater_salad posted:

Whenever the pressure is on at the smoker, and I’m worried about whatever, I always remind myself, “ehhh worst case scenario, I order pizza for everyone instead”

Calms me right down.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Looking at grabbing a smoker after putting it off forever and I'm wondering how I should be wintetizing‽ (live up in Alberta)

Looking at a traeger 575, maybe throwing a welding blanket over it? Reading into the reviews for the dedicated blankets it sounds like they're kind of garbage

I was thinking of buying a green mountain grill for ages, but it seems like the price has shot up a ton in Canada since i was last looking

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

w00tmonger posted:

Looking at grabbing a smoker after putting it off forever and I'm wondering how I should be wintetizing‽ (live up in Alberta)

Looking at a traeger 575, maybe throwing a welding blanket over it? Reading into the reviews for the dedicated blankets it sounds like they're kind of garbage

I was thinking of buying a green mountain grill for ages, but it seems like the price has shot up a ton in Canada since i was last looking

I can’t help you with winterizing but my dad has a gmg and it’s a solid pellet grill.

I have the Costco Traeger 885 and it’s pretty decent as well. I like having a top shelf and use that 90% of the time, usually with a smoke tube underneath.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 28, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I grabbed a cheap welding blanket off of Amazon and it made a huge difference on my Traeger. I can actually use it in winter now, prior to the blanket it just burned too much fuel to be worthwhile.

e: this is in Nebraska, so while not Alberta winter it still regularly gets into single digits F and below.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
What do people prefer to do impromptu cold smoking? Like without spending a ton of money on specialty equipment.

Those pellet tubes? Or the saw dust spiral? Hot plate with a cast iron pan and wood chips ala Alton? Some other option I’m not aware of?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Murgos posted:

What do people prefer to do impromptu cold smoking? Like without spending a ton of money on specialty equipment.

Those pellet tubes? Or the saw dust spiral? Hot plate with a cast iron pan and wood chips ala Alton? Some other option I’m not aware of?

I like the pellet tube. I can get about six hours of smoke out off a full tube. I have a MB electric and the chip pan is so tiny. The tube lets me set it and forget it for a while. I havent used the other options.

Capisano
Sep 11, 2001

Brutal
Seconding the pellet tube. It's very simple and works well. Used it twice now to cold smoke cheeses and the only other equipment I purchased to help with that was a vacuum sealer.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I just use a pellet tube with my gas grill for everything and it usually last about 4 hrs. Very easy to get going.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Kept it simple with the first ribs of the year.

Lawry’s & Pepper.

Spritzed dry spots with 1:1 apple cider vinegar and water every hour. Mopped with sauce for the last 20 minutes.

Smoked on WSM over Kingsford and a couple chunks of cherry wood. Tried to keep the temp around 275.

They passed the bend test and between the bones was probe tender at four hours. Simple and delicious.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Last week, i had an acute case of the dumb-idea-fairy, and i figured I'd share with y'all for some fun mockery content.

Disclaimer: for the past three years, I've been living in a German residential area and am this subject to some imitations you wouldn't like when slow-cooking.
I have a Masterbuilt Dual-Fuel smoker and run it with coconut-shell briquettes so as to minimize the "neighbor-annoyance"-factor.

The throughput on my smoker is amazing, but the insulation is - understandably - complete rear end.

So my dumb idea was to improve the insulation.
Beer was consumed, this is very important.

Mineral-wool was my weapon of choice

Taped it up good for a trial run

With one coal basket and the vents wide open, i used to get 125°C max, so i was pretty mind-blown when my trial run yielded 171°C at the peak

So, after the trial run was so successful, i went ahead and replaced the tape with high-temp adhesive...

...and coated the whole endeavor with exhaust-paint.

For the maiden voyage, i decided to do some Sous-vide pulled pork

I am regularly amazed how Sous-vide meat looks like absolute rear end when you pull it

Looks a little less horrible with a bit of a glaze

Looking a lot more sexy

Three hours on the smoker with a brief spritz every 45mins made for a reasonably decent bark

All things considered, pretty good result for sous-vide pulled pork, and I've managed to cut my fuel-consumption in half with the improved insulation.

Meat turned out amazing. Taste was great, really solid smoke-hit, albeit not as heavy as if I'd run the whole thing on the smoker start-to-finish.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Last week, i had an acute case of the dumb-idea-fairy, and i figured I'd share with y'all for some fun mockery content.

Disclaimer: for the past three years, I've been living in a German residential area and am this subject to some imitations you wouldn't like when slow-cooking.
I have a Masterbuilt Dual-Fuel smoker and run it with coconut-shell briquettes so as to minimize the "neighbor-annoyance"-factor.

The throughput on my smoker is amazing, but the insulation is - understandably - complete rear end.

<a bunch of sweet images were here>

Meat turned out amazing. Taste was great, really solid smoke-hit, albeit not as heavy as if I'd run the whole thing on the smoker start-to-finish.

Alright, but . . . I think you forgot the part where there was something to make fun of? :confused:

I mean, it's not an Anova SV stick so I suppose I could start there . . . :v:

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
sorry to hear your neighborhood don't like a good wood burn smell

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Munkeylord posted:

sorry to hear your neighborhood don't like a good wood burn smell

What the actual gently caress, Germany?

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012
I was just there like 3 months ago visiting. could smell wood stoves in the air. Wasn't in any of the bigger cities however

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I haven’t smoked in years but I did a picnic shoulder yesterday.

Made some carnitas with fat rendered off the shoulder.

Also did traditional sandwiches but didn’t take any pics of those. It was great, glad I gave myself 9.5 hours (7 lb shoulder) despite the time change.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I got to tag along with my friend to Costco and FINALLY got my hands on some beef ribs, got a pack of two 3-bone slabs. Threw one on for several hours last weekend with some SPG rub, and overall it was fantastic, but I do have one question: the meat was probe tender when I pulled it, and all three bones slid out with zero effort, but I noticed a lot of what seemed like membrane or cartilage in the space immediately surrounding where the bones were, which was not really edible. Having never cooked big ol’ beef ribs before, is everyone just trimming that off after the cook, or should that junk all be breaking down more during the cook?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sounds like the membrane that gets removed from pork ribs, but the general advice is to leave it on for beef ribs so the meat doesn't fall apart from the bone. I've never encountered it in that state, so either I've gotten mine with the membrane removed or it has cooked off - not sure which.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I guess I should clarify, this wasn’t like the silver skin you peel off the exterior of the meat, this was like in between the bones and both above and below the bones but underneath the meat

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

T-Square posted:

I guess I should clarify, this wasn’t like the silver skin you peel off the exterior of the meat, this was like in between the bones and both above and below the bones but underneath the meat

Seems to vary cow to cow. About 75% of the beef ribs I get have what I would call "thich silverskin", 25% are much thicker. Like, silpat thickness and texture, fully encasing the bones and attached to a full skin of it across the ribs too. FWIW, I don't eat either of them, but it's not unusual to see.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Mineral-wool was my weapon of choice

Taped it up good for a trial run

With one coal basket and the vents wide open, i used to get 125°C max, so i was pretty mind-blown when my trial run yielded 171°C at the peak

So, after the trial run was so successful, i went ahead and replaced the tape with high-temp adhesive...

...and coated the whole endeavor with exhaust-paint.

For the maiden voyage, i decided to do some Sous-vide pulled pork

I am regularly amazed how Sous-vide meat looks like absolute rear end when you pull it

Looks a little less horrible with a bit of a glaze

Looking a lot more sexy

Three hours on the smoker with a brief spritz every 45mins made for a reasonably decent bark

All things considered, pretty good result for sous-vide pulled pork, and I've managed to cut my fuel-consumption in half with the improved insulation.

I did p much this for my first smoker, a cheapie square charcoal guy from Depot that looked similar to that - ended up cutting 1/2 spacers from tube stock and drilling holes to run bolts through from the inside to some plywood panels cut to fit the outside.

Worked amazing and lasted almost 10 years till I got a Weber and haven't looked back.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi smoking thread! I have some (probably dumb) questions about my first smoke.

We just moved and my dad bought me a Trager Smoker as a house warming gift. I haven’t set it up yet (the rain in so cal has been something else) but I’m going to set it up tomorrow.

I went to Costco today and bought a 20lb brisket with the intention of smoking it early Saturday morning. Im pretty sure I have the jist of what I need to do down but my dad suggested that I cut the brisket down into 3rds so if I gently caress it up it’s not a waste of the whole cut.

Does this sound like something I should do? I have a meat thermometer so I’m really not worried about fuckin things up too bad.

I also realize I should have started with a pork butt but I really wanted some beef so here we are.

I fully admit that I’m probably being stupid starting with a brisket but I really think I can do it after watching some videos and reading a bunch on it.

Im also going to smoke some cream cheese on Saturday.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
If you're set on beef you could always start with chuck roasts. They're much faster and cheaper to gently caress up and still pretty drat good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

If you're set on beef you could always start with chuck roasts. They're much faster and cheaper to gently caress up and still pretty drat good.

Well I think that ship has sailed since I already have the cut in my fridge lol

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Dude honestly, just go for it. You’re going to make mistakes and as long as you don’t mind eating what you made or turning it into chili or whatever, just fuckin go for it! Welcome to the thread. Hope it turns out great!

I look at it like making bread. It’s an art form that isn’t hard to learn but is difficult to master. Make sure you pick up things that are easy to smoke with a low cost threshold: pork butt, whole chicken, chicken thigh quarters, etc.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I wouldn't cut it up. Start early and be patient. Brisket is done whenever it decides its done. We all had to learn sometime.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

You've got a Traeger so as long as you watch the temps on the meat, it should be hard to really screw up the actual cooking.

Do you need it done by a certain time? That's where you might run into issues.

Good luck! Report back how it goes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MarcusSA posted:

We just moved and my dad bought me a Trager Smoker as a house warming gift. I haven’t set it up yet (the rain in so cal has been something else) but I’m going to set it up tomorrow.

I went to Costco today and bought a 20lb brisket with the intention of smoking it early Saturday morning. Im pretty sure I have the jist of what I need to do down but my dad suggested that I cut the brisket down into 3rds so if I gently caress it up it’s not a waste of the whole cut.

Does this sound like something I should do? I have a meat thermometer so I’m really not worried about fuckin things up too bad.

I also realize I should have started with a pork butt but I really wanted some beef so here we are.

I fully admit that I’m probably being stupid starting with a brisket but I really think I can do it after watching some videos and reading a bunch on it.

Im also going to smoke some cream cheese on Saturday.

If you're comfortable cutting it up I would absolutely do that. Do save the like 5 pounds of beef fat that you're going to end up with though, and use it to do something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE2RisA2mHY

Even if you don't do anything special with it, the two halves of the brisket don't generally cook to the point of being done at the same time, so having them separate can give you some extra margin on getting the right level of doneness.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks everyone! I just got done watching one of that dudes videos and he’s really good! I am going to trim the brisket tonight and hopefully not gently caress that up too bad.

I’ll report back the progress lol

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Give yourself way more time than you think. It could be 18 hours. Easier to wrap it and keep it warm in a cooler for a few hours than to speed it up.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks everyone! I just got done watching one of that dudes videos and he’s really good! I am going to trim the brisket tonight and hopefully not gently caress that up too bad.

I’ll report back the progress lol

He has a video specifically about getting the most out of a pellet smoker for brisket. If you haven’t already checked that one out, I definitely would do so.

And also, absolutely save all of the trimmed fat, chop it up into as small of pieces as you’re willing to spend time on, then put it into a container in the smoker with the brisket. Smoke it, stir it once or twice over the span of 5 hours, then strain it. Smoked tallow is loving incredible to have hanging around in the fridge.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

He has a video specifically about getting the most out of a pellet smoker for brisket. If you haven’t already checked that one out, I definitely would do so.

And also, absolutely save all of the trimmed fat, chop it up into as small of pieces as you’re willing to spend time on, then put it into a container in the smoker with the brisket. Smoke it, stir it once or twice over the span of 5 hours, then strain it. Smoked tallow is loving incredible to have hanging around in the fridge.

Welp! Read this too late lmao. I’ll remember that for next time. I also need a way better knife. I thought mine would be ok but clearly not. I’m not going to post a picture of the trimmed brisket because it’s not pretty. I think I did it right though.

I’m gonna check out that video tonight before bed so thanks!

The plan is to start it about 8 am at 250 and go from there.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Get a Victorinox boning knife. Extremely useful for trimming cuts of meat and not expensive.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Get a Victorinox boning knife. Extremely useful for trimming cuts of meat and not expensive.

Done!

Any recommendations for a sharpening stone or just whatever?

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
E: way too late. Goodluck with the smoke!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

Done!

Any recommendations for a sharpening stone or just whatever?

Just get a honing steel (or porcelain) for now. They come very sharp.