Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
young bloods seemed fun for a little while, and then we hit the "ok, now pay us money" wall. why yes I just love enemies that scale with my level, rendering levelling up totally pointless! especially when they rapidly surpass any possible damage I can even do! no I will not be buying a boost, I'll be uninstalling, thanks.

way to make killing Nazis unfun, monetization

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Any game that requires me to blast a Nazi in the face at point blank with a shotgun more than once has a political agenda

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Looking forward to Remnant 2: This Time You Have A Dog

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mordja posted:

I really do urge everyone to give this a try. It's one of the most professionally made fan projects I've seen and it breathes new life into a largely forgotten title. The mod and its installation instructions can be found here (it needs a fanpatch) and BFME2+ROTWK are essentially abandonware and have been hosted on GameReplays for more than half a decade so I doubt you'll have EA's lawyers knocking your door down.

Many thank yous for this! I always wanted to play this game.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

There's a bit in Wolfenstein: TNC where two Nazi guards you are sneaking up behind are tsking about how the Resistance can't simply get their ideas across with honest debate and have to resort to petty violence meaning they are clearly in the wrong, then hoping they get transferred to the same death camp later so they can stay buddies. It's a good game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OhFunny posted:

Best for me was The Tower.

No, not the boss from the first game. The random orc in the second game who peeled his armor off, put it on, and got possessed by it.

That armor was really pissed to see Talion. It also became my chief nemisis.

I didn't see The Tower until my second or third playthrough.
What a great design.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

Looks like more Remnant 1, which means I'll probably pick it up. Hopefully there won't be a boss you have to fight on a bridge this time.

That goddamn megamoth killed me so many times.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Was a pain, but the goddamn beetle queen was definitely the roadblock for us.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I've. never. seen. the. tower. what are you guys talking about there's an entire orc based on the original boss?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ghostlight posted:

I've. never. seen. the. tower. what are you guys talking about there's an entire orc based on the original boss?

Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWR2mFOQZpE

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

WB owns a patent for the Nemesis system, right? That's why no other games have tried to do something like these games?

A real shame; I am having fun dipping my toes back into it, but the very Ubisofty "purify the fast travel towers by finding all the POIs on the map" are kinda killing me. And it's really silly when you're fighting a Captain and then everything stops so another Captain can get his monologue in too.

It is a good game but I just wish it stopped getting its own way every 50 seconds it feels like. Maybe some of it dies down once I've progressed the story enough and stop doing new things, but tutorials and speeches and prompts to equip new gear/runes or go to a pause screen to observe some artifact or whatever simply interrupts the actual game too much. I'm only like 2, 2.5 hours in but I did a lot of loving around just killing Captains and Worms in the first zone.

edit; also lol

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 24, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the combat sucks. that’s the most damning thing. it has no weight, no impact, the sound effects are incredibly halfhearted

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sab669 posted:

WB owns a patent for the Nemesis system, right? That's why no other games have tried to do something like these games?

A real shame; I am having fun dipping my toes back into it, but the very Ubisofty "purify the fast travel towers by finding all the POIs on the map" are kinda killing me. And it's really silly when you're fighting a Captain and then everything stops so another Captain can get his monologue in too.

It is a good game but I just wish it stopped getting its own way every 50 seconds it feels like. Maybe some of it dies down once I've progressed the story enough and stop doing new things, but tutorials and speeches and prompts to equip new gear/runes or go to a pause screen to observe some artifact or whatever simply interrupts the actual game too much. I'm only like 2, 2.5 hours in but I did a lot of loving around just killing Captains and Worms in the first zone.

You can turn off any notifications/popups you don't like in the game options.

Yes, WB owns a patent for Nemesis System, I've read it and it's talking about a very specific implementation of it.
Technically nothing is stopping other developers using the same system but just presenting it in a slightly different way, but the actual problem is that developers might be afraid to even try using that system in case WB starts throwing around litigious lawsuits.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Didn't War of the Chosen have a nemisis-lite system? Like the beaten Chosen adapted to your tactics or something? (Been a while since i played xcom2 so my memory might be off here)

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Eason the Fifth posted:

Didn't War of the Chosen have a nemisis-lite system? Like the beaten Chosen adapted to your tactics or something? (Been a while since i played xcom2 so my memory might be off here)

Yes.
AssCreed Odyssey and Star Renegades also had a (half-arsed) Nemesis System in them.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Yes.
AssCreed Odyssey and Star Renegades also had a (half-arsed) Nemesis System in them.

I absolutely adore Odyssey, but I always felt like that system was wasted. You can see where they were going and I don’t know if they just didn’t have enough time or that was really their best iteration or what, but it could have been a much cooler thing, chasing or being chased by a nemesis across all of Ancient Greece. Instead we just got HP sponges that we don’t really even get to know until after we’ve killed them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Saxophone posted:

I absolutely adore Odyssey, but I always felt like that system was wasted. You can see where they were going and I don’t know if they just didn’t have enough time or that was really their best iteration or what, but it could have been a much cooler thing, chasing or being chased by a nemesis across all of Ancient Greece. Instead we just got HP sponges that we don’t really even get to know until after we’ve killed them.

I don't want to talk too much poo poo about it but in my experience that mechanic was about as well developed as every other concept that they took from a different popular game and shoved into that one.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
>Assassin's Creed
>Nemesis System

wat

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
This thread reminded me that I bought Shadow of Mordor an eternity ago.

Just playing it now. It tries to take a clue from Arkham Asylum, but only kinda pulls it off. I'm so drat angry at this game for not doing what I wanted. Jump over him, NO DON'T CLIMB THE WALL. Jump off the wall, NO DON'T JUST DROP DOWN THREE FEET TO A PLACE WHERE THERE'S NOTHING. Grab him and drain him for ammo, OH JUST LIGHTLY TOSS HIM INTO THE BUSHES that 's exactly what i wanted to do what the gently caress are the controls in this game.

Also why is the camera so drat close. It's a stealther I don't need a detailed view of the main character's neck.

edit: Ditto the above about stopping all action so an enemy can have a not very interesting monologue.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I have 44 hours in AssCreed: Odyssey and I do not recall it having anything like these 2 Middle Earth games, but maybe my memory just sucks even worse than I know it does?

Edit: Yea^ I had similar thoughts while trying out the Forspoken demo too. I was like, "drat it's hard to make a good parkour controller" as my guy is often doing not quite what I want him to do. And I think someone made a post a few days back about how "third person games suck because the camera is always just slightly too close" and I really feel that with this game.

It's also amusing to me how like you're a super fast nimble ranger guy but you have the turning radius of a loving Cadillac. I hate that in so many third person games, like while replaying The Witcher 3 recently.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 24, 2023

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Just playing it now. It tries to take a clue from Arkham Asylum, but only kinda pulls it off. I'm so drat angry at this game for not doing what I wanted. Jump over him, NO DON'T CLIMB THE WALL. Jump off the wall, NO DON'T JUST DROP DOWN THREE FEET TO A PLACE WHERE THERE'S NOTHING. Grab him and drain him for ammo, OH JUST LIGHTLY TOSS HIM INTO THE BUSHES that 's exactly what i wanted to do what the gently caress are the controls in this game.

Yeah the parkour almost never doing exactly what you want it to is really frustrating and isn't any better in the sequel.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Yami Fenrir posted:

>Assassin's Creed
>Nemesis System

wat

Path of Exile did it as a season gimmick too lol, sort of

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I think I spent over 100h on Odyssey, enjoying it a lot due to the setting (modern day poo poo and baby chapter being notable exceptions), and I seem to remember that those mercenaries hunting you down would basically level up over time? It wasn't exactly interesting nor memorable, mind. More of a sigh whenever you were trying to do your peaceful stuff in the middle of a city and one showed up. It just got in the way basically, randomly throwing HP sponges at you.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

He did a lot of drugs in the sixties, now hooked up to the Animus grandpa Cheech takes you to a wildly inaccurate Middle Earth.
"Ya gotta kill frodo and find that ring!"

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Gyoru posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1144770/SLUDGE_LIFE/ is free to claim for a week because they announced a sequel is in development

Just played through this in under 1.5 hours, at least to get one of the endings, it's cool. I had to turn down some of the visual effects though cause the motion sickness was very real. Anyone who likes the idea of exploring a small but labyrinthine map that's dense with content (in this case characters, some items, graffiti locations, easter eggs, etc.) should definitely give it a try.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Light Gun Man posted:

young bloods seemed fun for a little while, and then we hit the "ok, now pay us money" wall. why yes I just love enemies that scale with my level, rendering levelling up totally pointless! especially when they rapidly surpass any possible damage I can even do! no I will not be buying a boost, I'll be uninstalling, thanks.

way to make killing Nazis unfun, monetization

i beat that game and i have no clue what youre talking about. Every enemy and fight was beatable when me and my coop partner got to it, though now i do recall one robot miniboss being way tougher than the other enemies, but we still stubbornly beat it. We never grinded and I recall that leveling up just got you more perk points to unlock poo poo like "can throw more hatchets" or "can dual wield weapons" rather than rpg-style stat upgrades.

I had to look it up cause I did not remember boosters at all. There are boosters available but there are also a couple things to note. For one, you cant buy boosters with the premium currency. That currency can only be used on cosmetics, which can also be bought with the normal currency earned by playing the game. The other thing is that boosters don't increase your damage. All they do is give the player a 10 minute boost where they have more armor, health, or ammo depending on which one was used. Needless to say, but there's no point in the game where these are ever required, though they can certainly help for boss fights or tough missions

i get that a lot of ppl dont like the game, and thats fine. But i feel like a lot of the hate comes from the game not explaining its mechanics very well and just being misunderstood rather than it being just a bad game in general. The controversy about there being premium currency is a good example. There shouldnt be this kind of poo poo in a singleplayer/coop game, but whats there is extremely easy to ignore and everything can be earned normally just by playing the game

Youngblood is a fun 7/10 kind of game for me. I had a great time playing through it with my friend and chopping up endless hordes of nazis while running through levels at Sonic-esque speeds. Its far from perfect but definitely worth picking up on sale if it seems kinda interesting, imo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the hate is because New Order was a surprisingly affecting take on one of the oldest FPS franchises and subsequent entries gradually wore that good impression down until youngblood, which is yet more brainless over-statified dreck

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the story is a massive step down, no argument there, but the gameplay is much better than New Order. You have a ton of powers and weapons available and movement is super fast and satisfying.

I dont get how it could be called brainless compared to the really basic combat of New Order. One of the biggest complaints was the armor system, which makes the player adapt which weapons theyre using against which enemy. Its not as detailed as something like Doom Eternal, which nearly requires using specific weapons against specific enemies, but it nudges the player to change up their strategy and try weapons that they might not have normally

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LegoMan posted:

Its why I bounced off it too. Every time I'd go to recruit some orc I could never get them alone because it would randomly pop another orc in or some alarm would go off and I'd end up dying and the orc would just get loving stronger

And then even once you do get to your target, shaming them makes them run away and disappear so you have to chase them down again. And then it turns out there's a bunch of "fun" emergent things that can happen when you try to brand or shame orcs that can make the problem even worse.

Or they can even just up and decide with no warning that they're done following you and they go rogue and stab you in the back.

Like don't get me wrong, I see what they were going for with a lot that stuff, but actually accomplishing anything in that game sometimes felt like treading in quicksand. And then you multiply that by, what 5-6 different orc hierarchies and fortresses and everything else and it's just exhausting.

Also Ologs were a good addition on paper, but good god are they overused and so loving obnoxious to actually deal with. They needed like, one or two more ways to actually interact with them in combat. That they have their own counter-skills makes it seem like they were meant to be special mini-boss monkeywrenches but instead there's just always at least one around. Time to dodge between his legs a hundred times. (2/10 times the game reads the input wrong and Tallion just eats poo poo instead.)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i thought youngblood rocked and i played the poo poo out of it. i'd do it again with a co-op partner

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Weedle posted:

i thought youngblood rocked and i played the poo poo out of it. i'd do it again with a co-op partner

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Oxxidation posted:

the combat sucks. that’s the most damning thing. it has no weight, no impact, the sound effects are incredibly halfhearted

I picked up Shadow of War on the sale and I'm enjoying it for the most part. I do wish the combat felt like it had more weight to it, I feel like every time you swing your sword it should make that squeaky cartoon hammer sound because the attacks feel so weightless. I still think its fun though and I feel like a badass when I clear an area of orcs and kill the captain.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Once you unlock your moveset attacking with the sword will be your least used option.
Or at least it should be.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

RE4 owns, everybody get it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cartoon Man posted:

RE4 owns, everybody get it.

Bought it and d/l'ed it, but I'm stuck at work all day :(

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

King Vidiot posted:

I'm stuck at work all day :(

The real survival horror. same :smith::hf::smith:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Edit: Yea^ I had similar thoughts while trying out the Forspoken demo too. I was like, "drat it's hard to make a good parkour controller" as my guy is often doing not quite what I want him to do. And I think someone made a post a few days back about how "third person games suck because the camera is always just slightly too close" and I really feel that with this game.

When I played MMOs I would zoom out so much that my character was like an inch tall on my screen, which is the appropriate camera angle for a 3rd person game and one that they need to use more.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5_uJeTBB20

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

King Vidiot posted:

Bought it and d/l'ed it, but I'm stuck at work all day :(

Same, and I work from home so it's even worse.

After this I'm going to be in a strange position where I've played the remake of RE4 and played RE4 in VR but never the original version. The game wasn't designed with VR in mind and I thought it was a bit easy, glad to hear the remake is difficult enough that even series veterans seem to be having trouble with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

real