Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah this was a funny bug where if a building had just an owner but no workers they would take 100% of the buildings budget and hire no one else

this is historical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah this was a funny bug where if a building had just an owner but no workers they would take 100% of the buildings budget and hire no one else

Neoliberalism!

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I played a bunch of WARNO last night I like the change of no longer needing to hold a CV in the spawn areas. I ended up in a match of point destruction as the US 3rd armour and getting US tanks out is much more expensive than it feels like it did a few months ago. Still not sure how I got out of that with positive point total. My Chaparrals and MLRS did a lot of heavy lifting that found. Getting rushed down by a ton of akulas sucks

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Paging gradenko_2000 for input.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It's absolutely appropriate to depict the Philippine archipelago as being split across multiple different tribes/clans/kingdoms, much the same way as Japan typically is for this period - it wasn't a given that the Tagalogs would be dominant culture: Spanish and American colonization made it so, but things would have turned out quite differently if the Kingdom of Tondo, or the Visayans, or even the Muslims in Mindanao had managed to "unify" the islands before the Spanish arrived. Hell, the Philippines as a nation-state might not look the way it does today if it had expanded further into Sabah.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's absolutely appropriate to depict the Philippine archipelago as being split across multiple different tribes/clans/kingdoms, much the same way as Japan typically is for this period - it wasn't a given that the Tagalogs would be dominant culture: Spanish and American colonization made it so, but things would have turned out quite differently if the Kingdom of Tondo, or the Visayans, or even the Muslims in Mindanao had managed to "unify" the islands before the Spanish arrived. Hell, the Philippines as a nation-state might not look the way it does today if it had expanded further into Sabah.

Were the borders of these polities generally based on whichever landmass they occupied or were the larger islands split between owners with borders between them?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
any group large enough to be considered a playable faction at the scale that EU is operating at would generally occupy one of the large Visayan islands to themselves - Cebu, Samar, Leyte, Bohol, Negros, Panay, etc.

but the islands of Luzon and Mindanao are large enough that it would be split across different factions. Luzon, for example, would have Ilokanos in the far north, Igorot tribes in the Cordillera mountain range running along the spine of the island, the polity of Tondo where Manila currently is, Isarog peoples in the southeast tip of Luzon around the Camarines region, and so on. And then Mindanao would have a number of sultanates and/or rajahnates.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

That is really interesting and not a part of the world is history I know anything about

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Filipino Minors :mrgw:

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

uh?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Loving all the great war: western front reviews along the lines of "game is a repetitive slog, can't make any progress, all my attacks get pasted by artillery"

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

Filipino Minors :mrgw:

lol I wonder what the venn diagram of western expats in SEA and EU4 players is.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Loving all the great war: western front reviews along the lines of "game is a repetitive slog, can't make any progress, all my attacks get pasted by artillery"

historical accuracy ftw

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

any group large enough to be considered a playable faction at the scale that EU is operating at would generally occupy one of the large Visayan islands to themselves - Cebu, Samar, Leyte, Bohol, Negros, Panay, etc.

but the islands of Luzon and Mindanao are large enough that it would be split across different factions. Luzon, for example, would have Ilokanos in the far north, Igorot tribes in the Cordillera mountain range running along the spine of the island, the polity of Tondo where Manila currently is, Isarog peoples in the southeast tip of Luzon around the Camarines region, and so on. And then Mindanao would have a number of sultanates and/or rajahnates.

yo you know any good general books on fillipino history

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Benagain posted:

yo you know any good general books on fillipino history

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is a link to Renato Constantino's "The Philippines: A Past Revisited". This actually covers most of Philippine pre-modern and modern history up to the Second World War, so the section coming up on the Filipino-American War starts at about page 198 of the book, but I don't have a better recommendation for a more focused work.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJYOKC3KrsY

Warthunder's April's Fools is exoskeleton day.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i remember when the t72 and leopard were just april fools additions...

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Alexander Haig-1916

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

KomradeX posted:

Alexander Haig-1916

Surely you mean Douglas? The White House Chief of Staff (appointed while still serving, wtf?) was born in 1924.

"General Alexander Haig at his White House offices while still wearing his U.S. Army uniform, upon assuming the White House Chief of Staff position on May 4, 1973"

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Surely you mean Douglas? The White House Chief of Staff (appointed while still serving, wtf?) was born in 1924.

"General Alexander Haig at his White House offices while still wearing his U.S. Army uniform, upon assuming the White House Chief of Staff position on May 4, 1973"

Oops, don't know why I made that mistake

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You just got to open another front, maybe somewhere in the Eastern Mediterranean.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

is there an in-game tutorial on the western front game, or one which can be readily downloaded? i'm leery of starting a grand campaign which i screw up beyond repair because i know none of the mechanics or rules of the game

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

V. Illych L. posted:

is there an in-game tutorial on the western front game, or one which can be readily downloaded? i'm leery of starting a grand campaign which i screw up beyond repair because i know none of the mechanics or rules of the game

Hey all the generals in real life learned the hard way, why do you deserve better?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

V. Illych L. posted:

I only played the demo but that was all tutorial, so I imagine it's still in the full game. It seemed flawed to me - I think I posted my impressions earlier in the thread? - but I did like some of what I saw

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i found the tutorial campaign button, it is above the main campaign buttons

i am now getting doughboys killed by the thousands while trying to figure out how to design a defensive trench which doesn't immediately get suppressed and swarmed by infinite german shock troops

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
Great war western front has a decent ingame tutorial.

My impression so far is mixed. I made fun of people complaining about the repetitiveness but it does indeed feel like a repetitive slog. There are some cool ideas and concepts but it seems like balance is all out of whack compared to what I understand about WW1 warfare.

Artillery - a lot of players are complaining about it being too strong but it is just really finicky to use. Heavy artillery works like the c&c ion cannon where the shells land in a tiny radius 5 seconds after calling it in. Everything in the radius gets obliterated but troops standing 20 m away don't care. Light artillery does almost no damage but all artillery suppresses all infantry and MG fire where it lands no matter what - using light or heavy doesn't matter nor does adding more than one battery. You have to time barrages exactly to coincide with your troops entering enemy range and then stopping when they assault the positions, which I know to be historical, but the UI doesn't give you any feedback on how long barrages will last, and you can't give orders changing radius of fire, how long to shoot for, etc.

Infantry seems to be too damaging - I think the vast majority of casualties end up being caused by rifle fire or hand to hand combat. A unit walking into rifle fire through the open will instantly evaporate - I guess this would be bad for your health but it shouldn't be more punishing than walking into artillery fire or machine guns.

Machine guns seem really weak. They do wreck infantry but don't seem that much better at it than riflemen, while costing as much as 3-5 rifle companies. They operate as RTS fixed turrets and can't be moved around or take cover, and because of the ion cannon artillery will often get blown up before ever being able to do anything.

A lot of stuff feels like it needs retuning.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

What you would need is a barrage planning tool. You could have a tech tree to to unlock the ability to have the barrage creep, walk, wheel, box barrages etc. and shrinking the uncertainty/variability of when the barrage will start, move up to the next phase line, and lift.

It’s why artillery staffs grew from literally one guy in 1914 to whole teams who would do the planning. It’s way too much work to try to coordinate it in real time.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Think I finally understood what I don't like about the Victoria 3 market system.

It's a bit obvious, but it's too simplistic.

They only model the flow of goods from one province (the country capital) to every province all at once.

What they really need to do is figure out how to model the flow of goods produced in province A to province B where' they're consumed, and it should take up extra infrastructure from every province between A and B.

I wonder if anyone is a good enough mathematician/programmer to do that, and maybe they went for the super simple solution because the answer is no.

I guess the other somewhat simple solution would be to have every producing province radiate out to the nearby ones. And have that modified by infrastructure and whatever else.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It seems like the issue is that 100% market access is what the games designed around, it might work better if it was hard or impossible to reach that. Could also be super confusing though. I'm not sure it really models purely extractive colonialism as well as it should for the era, either

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
That would be 1 billion pathfinding issues, which would brick any computer on the planet.

They could possibly rig up some hardcoded "regional markets" that isolated states could default to under blockade, but with all the AI issues I think they're hesitant to make any changes to the markets.

Previous Vicky games had a different unreal simulation of markets, but the mechanics worked to privilege whoever was a higher ranking GP, which felt sufficiently Victorian despite being economic nonsense.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sure but they might as well just get rid of the system entirely then.

It's completely meaningless and trivial vast majority of the time.

Except for the one time it doesn't work and completely breaks everything.

Effectively it only exists to annoy you with how stupid it is.

StashAugustine posted:

It seems like the issue is that 100% market access is what the games designed around, it might work better if it was hard or impossible to reach that. Could also be super confusing though. I'm not sure it really models purely extractive colonialism as well as it should for the era, either

Edit: Yeah it's designed to work 100% of the time, and when it doesn't the whole game grinds to a halt.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 03:44 on Apr 4, 2023

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Is it really that difficult a problem computationally? I feel like dwarf fortress using A* for pathing is unoptomized, but I don't know bad the victoria 3 trading solution would be. not sure if it's the handshake problem where it's (n*n-1)/2 or exponentially worse. because I don't have a math degree. you know what, I'm going to play master of orion 2 for a bit and check on vic 3 in a couple years after DLC has changed everything anyway.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
obviously you need to combine it with Hearts of Iron-level logistics, where raw materials and goods need to physically flow across the map either overland or on merchant vessels, with infrastructure percentages determining the speed of the former, and convoys needing to be simulated for the latter

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

palindrome posted:

Is it really that difficult a problem computationally? I feel like dwarf fortress using A* for pathing is unoptomized, but I don't know bad the victoria 3 trading solution would be. not sure if it's the handshake problem where it's (n*n-1)/2 or exponentially worse. because I don't have a math degree. you know what, I'm going to play master of orion 2 for a bit and check on vic 3 in a couple years after DLC has changed everything anyway.

I think there are just too many goods. Even if they ripped up the model to try and make it workable it's still like, at least 20 goods per state in ~300 states in the world, and then each unit of a good could theoretically path.

They could have hacked together some kind of simpler simulation where goods "radiating" out a province, but I don't think that would be any easier to understand

gradenko_2000 posted:

obviously you need to combine it with Hearts of Iron-level logistics, where raw materials and goods need to physically flow across the map either overland or on merchant vessels, with infrastructure percentages determining the speed of the former, and convoys needing to be simulated for the latter

There is not really any flow in HoI4. Land trade is just on or off based on any border connection, sea trade doesn't simulate actual convoys, but just generates combat based on how much raiding strength is in a sea zone. The army logistics are more detailed but there's just a single type of supply that radiates automatically rather than being routed somewhere specific.

Incidentally HoI4 also collapses with pathing issues when its 1945 and the Allies have enlisted hundreds of South American divisions who start shuffling around the frontline

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

There is not really any flow in HoI4. Land trade is just on or off based on any border connection, sea trade doesn't simulate actual convoys, but just generates combat based on how much raiding strength is in a sea zone. The army logistics are more detailed but there's just a single type of supply that radiates automatically rather than being routed somewhere specific.

Incidentally HoI4 also collapses with pathing issues when its 1945 and the Allies have enlisted hundreds of South American divisions who start shuffling around the frontline

omg seriously? we haven't really gotten that much further since HOI2?

(which, incidentally, is still the best in the series)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm looking at Wikipedia and the the most recent shortest path algorithm is from the 70s.

So we haven't even made it to this century yet I guess.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Great war western front has a decent ingame tutorial.

My impression so far is mixed. I made fun of people complaining about the repetitiveness but it does indeed feel like a repetitive slog. There are some cool ideas and concepts but it seems like balance is all out of whack compared to what I understand about WW1 warfare.

Artillery - a lot of players are complaining about it being too strong but it is just really finicky to use. Heavy artillery works like the c&c ion cannon where the shells land in a tiny radius 5 seconds after calling it in. Everything in the radius gets obliterated but troops standing 20 m away don't care. Light artillery does almost no damage but all artillery suppresses all infantry and MG fire where it lands no matter what - using light or heavy doesn't matter nor does adding more than one battery. You have to time barrages exactly to coincide with your troops entering enemy range and then stopping when they assault the positions, which I know to be historical, but the UI doesn't give you any feedback on how long barrages will last, and you can't give orders changing radius of fire, how long to shoot for, etc.

Infantry seems to be too damaging - I think the vast majority of casualties end up being caused by rifle fire or hand to hand combat. A unit walking into rifle fire through the open will instantly evaporate - I guess this would be bad for your health but it shouldn't be more punishing than walking into artillery fire or machine guns.

Machine guns seem really weak. They do wreck infantry but don't seem that much better at it than riflemen, while costing as much as 3-5 rifle companies. They operate as RTS fixed turrets and can't be moved around or take cover, and because of the ion cannon artillery will often get blown up before ever being able to do anything.

A lot of stuff feels like it needs retuning.

light artillery does a fair amount of damage to infantry in the open, but any trench will basically stop them. i actually kind of disagree with the objection that MGs are useless - there's a fairly stringent population cap, and with some clever placement of MG nests you can make a position basically invulnerable. i agree that artillery in general wants a bit of retuning.

the AI is good at finding weak spots and targets to attack, but not good at actually attacking, which is the opposite of what i would have expected. i'm putting the game down now because like nivelle i've figured out a formula for winning reliably and the technological progression isn't quick enough to keep things varied in the way the developers clearly intended for it to be. barbed wire is also weirdly expensive.

the core is very good, but i agree that the game really wants some tuning. they could do an awful lot more with their artillery.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I spent the afternoon watching some videos of someone playing city builders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWWE840CGg4 - this is them playing SimCity 4 in 2022 (still one of the best in the biz)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7SzwJbpCLk - and this is them playing heavily-modded Cities Skylines to try and build a car-less island development (it starts at around 11 minutes), which is apparently part of a much larger "campaign" that they've been doing over the course of developing this entire region

What I realized when watching these videos is that, for the most part, this person is... roleplaying - as in, they're developing the city based on what looks nice, what they'd like to see as a pattern of city development, and what "feels right" in terms of "oh let's make a nice cul-de-sac" or "oh let's put a ranger station so people can enjoy the forestry at the edge of the town", rather than a particular goal towards "efficiency" or "balancing the budget" against the game's internal gamified mechanics of a city whose tax revenue exceeds its expenditures

it's quite different from how I personally look at these games, and it makes me want to explore these games again through that lens, but I wonder how common it is to treat these games as elaborate bonsai trees or terrariums

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's quite different from how I personally look at these games, and it makes me want to explore these games again through that lens, but I wonder how common it is to treat these games as elaborate bonsai trees or terrariums

this is how I play these games as long as the mechanics allow it. it's part of why I love Workers & Resources so much, because one of your main drivers is just 'make cool new towns and industrial complexes and tourist resorts'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I spent the afternoon watching some videos of someone playing city builders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWWE840CGg4 - this is them playing SimCity 4 in 2022 (still one of the best in the biz)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7SzwJbpCLk - and this is them playing heavily-modded Cities Skylines to try and build a car-less island development (it starts at around 11 minutes), which is apparently part of a much larger "campaign" that they've been doing over the course of developing this entire region

What I realized when watching these videos is that, for the most part, this person is... roleplaying - as in, they're developing the city based on what looks nice, what they'd like to see as a pattern of city development, and what "feels right" in terms of "oh let's make a nice cul-de-sac" or "oh let's put a ranger station so people can enjoy the forestry at the edge of the town", rather than a particular goal towards "efficiency" or "balancing the budget" against the game's internal gamified mechanics of a city whose tax revenue exceeds its expenditures

In my experience most of the, for lack of better term, hardcore players of these games play them in this way. I'd also argue that these games are best played that way, because the actual material and political considerations are extremely rudimentary, so playing it the way you used to, and I used to, can only interest one for a rather limited amount of time. It's why I've basically completely dropped the genre after SimCity3000, and instead always liked the Ceasar series instead: because those games have much more of a concrete goal to work towards.