Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I'd say the balance issue is arguably true for all heavy tanks but I can see why the Maus is exponentially worse than all the others. When I ever (rarely) play it, it's mostly for the funny APHEDS round.
If I wanna bounce shots, I play a T-34-57 :sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
maus hunting is fun because they can't resist crawling around out in the open

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtjYEOeu3Bw

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Re: Maus hunting, gonna repost this

https://giant.gfycat.com/CrazySatisfiedGreendarnerdragonfly.mp4

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

holy poo poo nice

I brought 5 of those soccer balls and got garbage. Are they worth buying or nah?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

CODChimera posted:

holy poo poo nice

I brought 5 of those soccer balls and got garbage. Are they worth buying or nah?

Thanks! I think they are if you have too many Silver Lions.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

The Panther II fixes that, if you’re one of the übermensch that unlocked it before they removed it from the tech tree.

I am and it still sucks!

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
i miss when tiny tims were just regular gigantic rockets, and when hvars and rp3s were nearly guaranteed single shot kills

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Madurai posted:

You may ask, "Why are Rank and BR two different things?" but down that path lies madness.

Rank controls research and progression, BR controls matchmaking

DarkDobe posted:

Do they ever do discounts on Research Conversion?
I'm collecting a poo poo-ton of the stuff just playing around but as has been pointed out the Eagle cost is ludicrous. Is there ever a discount on it or is it not worth doing even then?

Indirectly they get a sale in the form of research costs themselves being discounted. Still wouldn't particularly recommend it unless you have way more money than sense.

BMan posted:

That's not a thing

It used to be! You can also sort of get discounted GE through discounted packs but that only half counts.

mlmp08 posted:

Hell yeah.

Very old take on the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHaYsuTFUgU
Same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ii3t-8HWFrk

BadOptics posted:

I am and it still sucks!

Skill Issue.

(it's not nearly as good as it used to be, still solid though)

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Shanakin posted:

Is that confirmed, I always get stressed about match making when there’s a rank 3 4.7 vehicle in the same lineup as a rank 2 4.7 vehicle - the player count waiting thing shows it by rank.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Shanakin posted:

That doesn't make their current system any less unintuitive. The issue is that the two have very little relation to one another. A more intuitive and easy to understand BR system would use ranks as a divider. For instance new BRs could be a three digit format to 1 digit preceding the decimal point and two following. Rank I vehicles would be 1.xx, Rank II would be 2.xx. It wouldn't even have to change much from the current system otherwise, but it'd sure cut down on new player confusion. Among other possible benefits.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

Is that confirmed, I always get stressed about match making when there’s a rank 3 4.7 vehicle in the same lineup as a rank 2 4.7 vehicle - the player count waiting thing shows it by rank.

You're going to get uptiered every single match anyway.

Q_res posted:

That doesn't make their current system any less unintuitive. The issue is that the two have very little relation to one another. A more intuitive and easy to understand BR system would use ranks as a divider. For instance new BRs could be a three digit format to 1 digit preceding the decimal point and two following. Rank I vehicles would be 1.xx, Rank II would be 2.xx. It wouldn't even have to change much from the current system otherwise, but it'd sure cut down on new player confusion. Among other possible benefits.

That sounds even more confusing than the current system of ignoring rank for everything but events and research. What does it mean when your vehicle is 2.43 but mine is 3.27?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
which minor nation should I grind out to 6.7 tanks next - I've done USSR, Germany, France and Italy now. China seems to be mostly US or russian stuff under 6.7, so I'm trying to pick between Japan and Sweden. I like fast shooty vehicles which would suggest Japan, but the Swedish tree seems to be full of bonkers fun vehicles?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

which minor nation should I grind out to 6.7 tanks next - I've done USSR, Germany, France and Italy now. China seems to be mostly US or russian stuff under 6.7, so I'm trying to pick between Japan and Sweden. I like fast shooty vehicles which would suggest Japan, but the Swedish tree seems to be full of bonkers fun vehicles?

Sweden does have some really fun gimmick vehicles, but it used to be that you had to grind through some pretty poo poo tank destroyers to get at them. But now that they get a few solid Russian and German tanks by way of the Norwegian tree, that should be much less of an issue. Some fun vehicles that stood out to me:

- Spj fm/43-44: Possibly the bloopiest bloop gun I ever played, especially at this low a rank. It's 1.7, but it comfortably carried me well into Rank 2 and even 3
- Strv m/42 DT: Has a pretty serviceable 75mm with an insanely quick semi-auto reload. Absolutely devastating if you can get into a nice flanking position
- L-62 ANTI II: One of those SPAAGs that's kinda poo poo at anti-air but quite serviceable against ground targets. Pretty fun to zoom around and put 40mm into people's side armour in.
- Bkan 1C: One of my favourite vehicles in the entire game period. Has an HE powerful enough to kill just about anything even frontally with careful shot placement, and more importantly also has proximity fuses excellent for bullying aircraft and light tanks. One time I even managed to kill a king tiger by cheekily airbursting one of them right above its turret. Also weirdly resilient despite its size.

In contrast, the various tank destroyers (Pvkv) usually ranged from barely serviceable to outright poo poo, and can probably be skipped. The main exceptions are the Sav m/43 (1964) and Ikv 103, which are at least occasionally funny due to having a nice big 105mm.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
The swedish tree is fun as hell, you get APDS on the first tanks in the line-up once you get some research done, or you can just grab the 250ge tank, it's a really under-tiered little fucker despite it's 1.0BR, I've accidentally brought it into Tier 3 fights and managed well (as long as I don't get spotted).

Perestroika posted:

In contrast, the various tank destroyers (Pvkv) usually ranged from barely serviceable to outright poo poo, and can probably be skipped. The main exceptions are the Sav m/43 (1964) and Ikv 103, which are at least occasionally funny due to having a nice big 105mm.

I love the Pvkv II, though. Little wobble-head 75mm trundling along and poking up hills to lob pain at things.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Yeah, the low-tier Swedish tanks with APDS will serve a surprisingly long time- certainly I was killing KV-1s with them before removing them from my lineup.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Perestroika posted:

But now that they get a few solid Russian and German tanks by way of the Norwegian tree…

The ghost of Simo Häyhä is going to haunt your rear end.

:finland:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MrYenko posted:

The ghost of Simo Häyhä is going to haunt your rear end.

:finland:

Ah hell, I figured there's no need to look it up since it's a 50/50 and of course I picked the wrong one. :negative:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Also, it's already been mentioned but: the 3.5s reload on the m/42-DT is a wonder to behold, at a 5.0 rating you can get away with some real poo poo coupled with nearly 150mm penning APCBC filled with 110g of TNT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxL-EzgIaXA

edit: It also treats destructible terrain as suggestions, nothing slows it down except actual buildings.

Keru fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 24, 2023

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
After that APDS change it's been constant shell shattering and nonpens in my British 7.3 matches today.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Has there been an actual change or is it just bugged?

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

Farecoal posted:

Has there been an actual change or is it just bugged?

A couple of weeks ago they changed penetration values while adding a "slope effect" for some APDS guns:

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/576042-update-of-the-apds-penetration-values/

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Playing the later American heavies like the T32 are almost making me feel like I was too mean about the IS2/3.

Almost I do like having actual gun depression.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Those US heavies are actually quite a bit better in the incredibly rare event you get a downtier or midtier match. The issue is that US ground gets nearly constant full-uptiers basically from 5.7 to 8.0 or so. Playing the M103 is cool and good. But you won’t be playing against other 7.7s. Instead, you’ll be playing the M103 against Leopard 1A1s with stabilizers and APFSDS, T-62M-1s with APFSDS and ATGMS, and BMP3s with ATGMS that posses over twice as much penetration as your mantlet. poo poo that literally just invalidates your armor.

That said, rolling into a 6.7-7.7 the one or two times it actually happens in an M103 is absolutely loving awesome. Just painting the map with dead King Tigers.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Sometimes you just get a *chef's kiss* shot. It doesn't really make up for getting CAS'ed by Germans all game every game by 262's that just sit in the air completely untouchable 2 minutes into a game.

https://streamable.com/1ywqbn

But of course when you try to CAS as any nation except germany or russia then you get uptiered every game and now your barely post ww2 prop plane is being shot at by gepards why would I be bitter about that loving aboslute HORSESHIT.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
How close should I be hugging the ground to fool 7Fs and 27ERs? I've been trying to hug about 50m off the ground, or tree top level, but I'm not sure if that's over kill or I'm not doing it close enough.

Also, tomorrow's gotta be the day they start talking about the April Fools/Crafting event right? I wonder what they're going to be doing and testing this year.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

When fighting SARH missiles like AIM-7s and radar AA-10s, you're not trying to defeat the missile, you're trying to defeat the fire control radar on the airplane that fired the missile at you. Getting down on the deck is only going to help against relatively old radars that lack a pulse doppler mode, or have a finicky one. Newer radars such as on the F-16, MiG-29, or F-4EJ Kai will laugh at you and continue to paint even if you're dragging rear end through the bushes. You have to notch those radars to defeat them.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Wrong, in war thunder going down to the deck magically makes all radar missiles miss

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Going on the deck if nothing else increases your options for putting geography physically between you and the radar that picked you up. Doesn't work on every map but most have at least some amount of hilly or mountainous terrain you can use. Hell even trees will do the job if they are dense enough.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Using the P.108A in AB is hysterical. So many little biplanes and early monoplanes and you just lumber across the battlefield in a 4-engine bomber. It sucks at actually shooting anything but using the turrets and being a gunship can sometimes work out.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJYOKC3KrsY
April Fools! The fooling is in making you think it's April 1st already

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
Did I miss news on the crafting event?

Isn't the whole value/time proposition for the april fools event, that while you don't get any SL or RP, you can grind the crafting event without risking repair costs.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

GrossMurpel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJYOKC3KrsY
April Fools! The fooling is in making you think it's April 1st already

lmao that owns

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

so the rewards you need 40k points in two days and you gotta do that 8 times? lmfao thank god i don't really want of of it i guess

I did kinda want that Italian plane skin but again a 2 day time limit

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The event is fun and all, but I'm note sure what their thought process was when making the mobile infantry classes. You've got one class that can trivially one-hit-kill just about everything on the field with its fuckoff 30mm cannon, and then a bunch with shitass machine guns and a few awkward missiles. :psyduck:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Apr 1, 2023

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
That event sucks rear end both from the expected time sink and from whatever those classes are.

Back to my french planes

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

If I wanted to play infantry I wouldn't be playing war thunder.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

ZeusCannon posted:

Back to my french planes

:japan::respek::france:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOZcID1rXLA&t=146s

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Had a bit of a brown trousers moment in a big cat the other day.

https://i.imgur.com/fXIyWFM.mp4

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Today I learned something new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIYBmnEtVoQ

The J21's can kill their own engine by dropping a bomb and leveling out too quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010
Huh, I didn't know bombs had collision models with planes. I remember trying to take out PBYs with 10kg bombs ages ago, and they would pass through. Maybe it's possible now