Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

when they announce Kevin Bieksa as his replacement, will that be better or worse

I don't mind bieksa, he's a bit grating at times but at least he recognizes he's in the entertainment business. I can't stand sports journalists who treat what they're doing with the solemnity of a war correspondent or investigative journalist. You guys are on par with E! Hollywood folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Also while I'm not keen on the Canucks winning, I can't help but enjoy seeing my team pump seven past Hate Creimer.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

ThinkTank posted:

Also while I'm not keen on the Canucks winning, I can't help but enjoy seeing my team pump seven past Hate Creimer.

Panthers lost by 4 and Marc Staal was a -3 also, great night for laughing at homophobes

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Chicago got kerbstomped too, maybe Jesus is more tolerant than all his followers.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Pens have waited approximately 69 games before deciding they actually feel like playing like a structured team. Of course their problems are still the same problems they had all year - Carter and Dumo should never be on the ice together and the elder of the 2 should be in the press box. Casey DeSmith let in nearly and exact 3 goals against on 3.24 expected....which is fine except one of the worst shooting and conversion teams in the league remains......one of the worst shooting and conversion teams in the league. 2 on 4.60 expected. Amusingly the finishing isn't just a bottom 6 problem. Pretty much every player that isn't Sid, Geno, and Zucker are finishing well below expectation.

So yeah hooray Pittsburgh is an even shittier version of Carolina now. Hooray. So I guess the 'positives' are if the team keeps creating like this....and figures out a way to actually put pucks in the net they could be dangerous. That said the goaltending remains not nearly good enough and will sink the team regardless of who is healthy and who isn't. Rejoice the Pens are bad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Rejoice the Pens are bad.

:gritin:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
dumbshit blues keep winning games or taking loser points. stop it!!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The old guy's still got it (against garbage but still)

https://twitter.com/HockeyDaily365/status/1639076314240917505?t=dVm9Z3IopaqjwXr9MSVxAw&s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's very sad that Ovi isn't going to hit 50 this year

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens have waited approximately 69 games before deciding they actually feel like playing like a structured team. Of course their problems are still the same problems they had all year - Carter and Dumo should never be on the ice together and the elder of the 2 should be in the press box. Casey DeSmith let in nearly and exact 3 goals against on 3.24 expected....which is fine except one of the worst shooting and conversion teams in the league remains......one of the worst shooting and conversion teams in the league. 2 on 4.60 expected. Amusingly the finishing isn't just a bottom 6 problem. Pretty much every player that isn't Sid, Geno, and Zucker are finishing well below expectation.

So yeah hooray Pittsburgh is an even shittier version of Carolina now. Hooray. So I guess the 'positives' are if the team keeps creating like this....and figures out a way to actually put pucks in the net they could be dangerous. That said the goaltending remains not nearly good enough and will sink the team regardless of who is healthy and who isn't. Rejoice the Pens are bad.

i wish the pens were better so you could make happier posts, rex :smith:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

I want Rex to be happier too, but let’s not go this far.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

I want Rex to be happier too, but let’s not go this far.

i just said better. like a solid sixth place in the east, first round exit kinda team. not actually good.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

It's very sad that Ovi isn't going to hit 50 this year

The odds are not in his favor but it also wouldn't surprise me if Ovi got 9 goals in their last 9 games.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

As much as we may all wish the best for Rex, I feel like Pens fans have literally nothing to complain about. They've made the playoffs in 16 consecutive seasons (and will in all likelihood do so again this year) and have won three cups and been to the finals four times in that stretch. The horrendous dark days they refer back to lasted all of four seasons and came on the heels of an 11 year stretch where they also made the playoffs every season and won two cups. So forgive me if doom posting about how your generational talent that absolutely lived up to the billing and then some is starting so slow down and maybe they'll have to rebuild for a few seasons rings just slightly hollow.

I get that it's human nature to focus on the here and now, but this feels like billionaires complaining about a $250 tax increase.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/JonathanWillis/status/1639260769354383360

lol lets go Nucks

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Learnin to play the right way (having a fully rested franchise goaltender winning meaningless games in March while their star forwards have simultaneous hot streaks)

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

*clears throat*

gently caress the Pens.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThinkTank posted:

this feels like billionaires complaining about a $250 tax increase.

New thread title please.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Diet Crack posted:

*clears throat*

gently caress the Pens.

Always and forevermore, Amen.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Arivia posted:

It's not a happy or unhappy kind of thing. Granted it's a certain amount of energy and brain power along with time investment, but irritation at poor management, asset allocation, and some luck.

If Sid and Geno were slowing down, yeah it's over and the team is cooked no matter what they do. After a rough year last year Malkin is back to 2.3 points per 60 5v5....which is in line with his career production. Same can be said for his all situation production. Sid is producing at 5v5 better than he has in years and again the production is as good as we could hope.

This is a team that won the division last year. Now they're barely going to maybe make the playoffs before being annihilated by Boston. If an idiot like me can look at basic publicly available information and go 'all of this is dumb and will not work' WTF is going on with the so called 'Professionals'?

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

*clears throat*

gently caress the Pens.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
My favorite part of the Pens offseason was if Hexy had just done gently caress all to the defense it probably would have been better than what they ice every night. Mike Matheson was signed to a hilarious 8-year contract sure, but he’s looked solid on a brutal Montreal team, and Jeff Petry just keeps getting older and shittier and is signed for $1.5mil more and one year less. Marino for Ty Smith and a 3rd was just some cruel business by Fitzgerald

The Rust and Rakell extensions are going to start looking ugly in the next year or so too

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

As much as we may all wish the best for Rex, I feel like Pens fans have literally nothing to complain about.
We don't. Reiterating what you said from my perspective- Three cups in my adult lifetime, including a b2b. Multiple-HoF'er roster for the last like, ten years? 18 years?

It's good, and even if they're bad for a real long time I'll be fine. They're not the Pirates. :v:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

The Rust and Rakell extensions are going to start looking ugly in the next year or so too

Rust for sure. I really like what Rakell brings though, he's one of the few players the works with Sid and Malkin and he's got silky soft mitts

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The important thing for everyone to focus on is we're at most two weeks away from Luke Hughes.

Possible one day, if Michigan chokes tonight. Although I imagine he'll need a few practices before they try him. They've been going with Bahl a lot more than Smith lately in that #3 LD spot. I'm honestly not sure if Lindy has the balls to run a Luke Hughes-Severson 3rd pair -- it would own and completely decimate bottom six competition but he'd probably have an aneurysm when they're both below the dots in a 3-2 game.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

ThinkTank posted:

As much as we may all wish the best for Rex, I feel like Pens fans have literally nothing to complain about.

40% of N/V posts this season have been Pens fans complaining. Mostly about Kasperi Kapanen.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

You are welcome to contribute. Or I could bitch about your team and players?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

To be 100% clear here, I am a massive whiner about my team and clutter up this thread with zero effort sad posts all the time. I'm just incredibly jealous of Pens fans and it hurts my soul that a fan can have "my multi cup winning team loaded with hall of famers isn't as good as it once was" as something to be upset about.

A single cup would be a massive weight off my shoulders. Hell, I'd have taken a bubble cup with Benning in charge and called that good enough for a lifetime.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

ThinkTank posted:

A single cup would be a massive weight off my shoulders. Hell, I'd have taken a bubble cup with Benning in charge and called that good enough for a lifetime.

Yeah. Waiting 40 years for the caps to get their cup seems to have enhanced the soothing effect of the victory. I'm pretty sure I'm good for another 5 or 10 years before I care much about winning or losing. Having the Ovie goal chase probably helps a bit, too, so maybe I'll have to reevaluate in a couple.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I do hope teams who haven't won a cup before win one before Toronto.

Poor Canada.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Here are numbers:

https://twitter.com/sabresstats/status/1638596967122059264?s=46&t=ZmcWuigp8va-srUE4rOQ8Q

Sabres bad without Samuelsson, which means their defensive depth is non-existent.
Dahlin is also injured, but is playing through it. And it’s bad enough I wish they had just rested him instead.

He was injured on 2/23 TBL and or 2/24 FLA. Took the next 3 games off and since coming back has 2 assists and a -15 for the month of March. Sabres are 2-6-2 during this stretch.

Hasn’t scored a goal since Jan 23rd.

Hate to say it. But same old Sabres. It’s deja vu with a number of the Eichel seasons. On the playoff bubble till around March or 20 games left and then completely collapse.

2018-19
66 points at the 62 game mark. 8 points back of a WC spot but 5 games in hand. Went 4-14-2 the final 20 games.

2019-20
66 points at the 62 game mark. Went 1-6 from there before Covid canceled the season. Missed the play in round by 3 points with 2 games in hand on MTL.

2020-2021 were never in contention this season. But they went 0-13-2 in March.

2021-2022 had a good March but were like 30 points outside a playoff spot at the start of the Month.

2022-2023 68 points at the 62 game mark. 1-5-2 since then.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

th3t00t posted:

2019-20
66 points at the 62 game mark. Went 1-6 from there before Covid canceled the season. Missed the play in round by 3 points with 2 games in hand on MTL.

They were also scheduled to play Montreal the night the season was cancelled.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Dirty Burger posted:

Panthers lost by 4 and Marc Staal was a -3 also, great night for laughing at homophobes

God himself hates Marc Staal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-...anley-cup-riot/

This should be good, I've been thinking the riot is ripe territory for a good documentary for a while.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the riot was so cool

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
A bunch of Avs players are getting healthy and will be returning pretty soon:

Makar - this weekend
Erik Johnson - this weekend
Rodrigues - next week
Manson - 2 weeks
Landeskog - 2 weeks
Francouz - 2-3 weeks
Lehkonen - 2-3 weeks

Still up in the air for top 3 spots in the Central

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Huggybear posted:

The NHL needs to step in and mandate if they are going to have an inclusivity policy all teams and players have to opt in and the NHLPA also needs to loving step up and cooperate. If anything these players are being given a platform to spread hateful beliefs while the league is silent or at best mealy mouthed. Just loving abandon the policy if you're just going to do nothing about it and dither in your centrist response (neutrality rewards the oppressor). If you were an employee of a major corporation with an inclusivity policy and you tweeted that gay was a choice you'd get terminated for gently caress's sake. Let retirement be the only way these assholes get out of wearing a jersey. gently caress them.

Durr Kommissar posted:

Your average mouthbreathing NHL fan is already in the comments section of any given article about this saying poo poo like “WELL WHY DON’T WE HAVE A NAZI APPRECIATION NIGHT WHILE WE’RE AT IT, THEY DESERVE TO FEEL WELCOME TOO” in response to all this.

I don't think the players should be forced to participate just because the organization wants to support something, because if/when a team does hold a nazi appreciation night I would want players to refuse and be allowed to. If a player feels strongly enough and doesn't want to wear a cinco de mayo warmup jersey or a south east asian heritage night warmup jersey, then they shouldn't. BUT...I would expect them to use the opportunity to explain why they feel strongly about it and to stand by their opinion regardless of the consequences. These guys putting out statements that say "I don't hate anyone and I think hockey is for everyone, but I refuse to wear the jersey that supports those ideas, please don't ask me any questions about it" is just so loving pathetic. And it's doubly pathetic when a whole organization decides to discard their support to protect a player from having to defend their opinion. Either you support something or you don't, and when you compromise your support, it means you don't.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fermun posted:

A bunch of Avs players are getting healthy and will be returning pretty soon:

Makar - this weekend
Erik Johnson - this weekend
Rodrigues - next week
Manson - 2 weeks
Landeskog - 2 weeks
Francouz - 2-3 weeks
Lehkonen - 2-3 weeks

Still up in the air for top 3 spots in the Central

No idea who will end up where in the top 3. Last week Dallas was looking like they might fall back down, and this week Minnesota looks like they hit a little bump. Colorado could still end up skipping past both of them as the Avs play both still and while they play the most games also have the easiest schedule with ARI x2, ANA x2, and SJ x2 left. Dallas also has a relatively easy schedule, and three 2 day breaks left.

Kaprizov will be back hopefully by the Colorado game, but it could be an extra week. They're being really quiet about that one.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I don't think the players should be forced to participate just because the organization wants to support something, because if/when a team does hold a nazi appreciation night I would want players to refuse and be allowed to. If a player feels strongly enough and doesn't want to wear a cinco de mayo warmup jersey or a south east asian heritage night warmup jersey, then they shouldn't. BUT...I would expect them to use the opportunity to explain why they feel strongly about it and to stand by their opinion regardless of the consequences. These guys putting out statements that say "I don't hate anyone and I think hockey is for everyone, but I refuse to wear the jersey that supports those ideas, please don't ask me any questions about it" is just so loving pathetic. And it's doubly pathetic when a whole organization decides to discard their support to protect a player from having to defend their opinion. Either you support something or you don't, and when you compromise your support, it means you don't.

The players have a right to refuse to do anything they want. If they want to out themselves as backwards jerks then go for it. However, they shouldn't expect to be sheltered from criticism for doing so. Part of making a stand is recognizing people will not agree with you and that you can be judged in the court of public opinion.

What I do take serious issue with is teams backing off clearly preplanned pride nights to try and protect a few players. If guys want to make a stand that's their right, but if you're serious about showing hockey is for everyone you need to reinforce that they're the minority. If you're really too afraid of criticism that you have to alienate a huge bunch of people and any forward progress on representation to protect a few employees, maybe you need to reflect more deeply on your hiring practices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

These guys putting out statements that say "I don't hate anyone and I think hockey is for everyone, but I refuse to wear the jersey that supports those ideas, please don't ask me any questions about it" is just so loving pathetic.

What makes me upset about poo poo like this is the “journalists” asking these guys the questions just accept these answers and revert immediately to the “you guys scored 3 goals in the third period last night, how can you do it again tonight?” type questions where the article is already written and they’re just looking for supporting soundbytes.

Not the NHL but I remember just sitting there in disgust watching Deshaun Watson answer every question he was asked before his Browns debut with “I’m only going to answer questions about football, thank you” and get away with it lol