Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

hail hashut

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hahahhaha a failed snype

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

If the devil is 6 then Hashut is 7. The monkey king’s gone to heaven

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Nurgle is 7 and slaanesh was 6

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
If Nurgle is a 7 to you then what the gently caress would you consider to be a 5?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gork, or maybe Mork

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

People always talk about the Southlands Thunderdome but good god, the situation you start out in as Belegar Ironhammer where you're next to two factions that will almost inevitably attack you (Aranessa and Skrag), one that might if they're feeling frisky (Orion), and one that will get to you after you deal with one of those factions (Wurzzag). Its especially hard since he's got that massive upkeep penalty. I have no idea what you do on that campaign, honestly, other than maybe just beeline for Eight Peaks and forget about your starting zones after getting a 20-stack.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

As a goblin player gently caress belegar and his invincible ghost dudes that the computer has no idea how to account for

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i am playing Repanse who is the best for these reasons

she sounds mad as hell constantly

she has a cool horse

she has a big sword

she runs right into the middle of a group of enemy units then yells KAPOW and blows half of them up

also she's joan of arc who is extremely cool

in conclusion brettonia is my favourite and repanse is my favourite brettonian

And don't forget about her buddy, Big Hank!

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Whirling posted:

I have no idea what you do on that campaign, honestly, other than maybe just beeline for Eight Peaks and forget about your starting zones after getting a 20-stack.

Pretty sure that’s exactly it. It’s probably why you get that confederation so early.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

hahahhaha a failed snype

dunno wtf ya mean Hashut is eternal

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Some things that are interesting about Chaos Dwarfs: They don't really have infighting. They'll politick like mad, but it's non-lethal. This is why they've survived, their population is very, very low and only grows slowly, so pretty much the number 1 virtue in their society is survival and not just for yourself, but for the Chaos Dwarfs as a whole. While Dark Elves having hilariously high numbers to be fodder for their endless murdering is never really explained, the Chaos Dwarfs population issue has always been front and centre: particularly that they're actually smart enough and coherent enough that their population, while small, has always steadily grown.

The main pressure for their empire is actually slaves: the giant capitalism theology doom machine that it is requires more and more every day. As a result, they'll enslave any race except other dwarves and skaven. Other dwarves are too valuable as sacrifices and long experience has taught then that skaven have exactly the wrong balance of spite to self preservation: they will ruin anything they are put to and that is when they aren't secretly deliberately infected to use as living plague bombs.

We know that they simultaneously value honour but are also backstabbers, but that's never really been elaborated upon. Probably they'll hold to any publicly sworn thing but if it's an agreement is just assumed it does not really exist to them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume the dark elves are constantly attending morathi's shag parties and so reproduce like rabbits.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

NewMars posted:

We know that they simultaneously value honour but are also backstabbers, but that's never really been elaborated upon. Probably they'll hold to any publicly sworn thing but if it's an agreement is just assumed it does not really exist to them.

Imagine an entire race of lawful evil bureaucrats and endless technicalities, conflicting contracts/obligations and supreme passive aggressiveness. And spite. Pure, legally and pragmatically sanctioned spite.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

so basically humanity

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

NewMars posted:

long experience has taught then that skaven have exactly the wrong balance of spite to self preservation: they will ruin anything they are put to

Ohh, Skaven malicious compliance. I love it :allears:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

OwlFancier posted:

I assume the dark elves are constantly attending morathi's shag parties and so reproduce like rabbits.

Turns out pleasure and sex cults raise the fertility rate... and also the existence of crab-ladies in your area.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tirranek posted:

Pretty sure that’s exactly it. It’s probably why you get that confederation so early.

Yeah I just leave whatever I can in the main province and run for eight peaks too.

Its a fun run. Just sack your way across the map, anything you occupy to replenish you either just leave behind/abandon or sell to an ally for some more quick cash. By the time you get to eight peaks you're rolling in cash.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.

NewMars posted:

I imagine it sorta like:

I have made an agreement to deliver X warmachines to the warlord Easy Mark in exchange for Y slaves. They will all be delivered to exacting specifications and payment received. The deal is concluded when I receive the slaves.

I also have NOT made an agreement that I would then not bomb Easy Mark and his delegation into pulp and grab back the warmachines. So I'm going to do that. If he failed to close this contractual loophole, that's on him.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/1639220642586451968?t=ursk5hYSpzBg69Cezp0nwg&s=19

I'm sorry, the expression I'm dying, well done danny

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
I'm imagining the Ea-nasir tablet, but complaining about substandard slaves or explosive filler

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

NewMars posted:

We know that they simultaneously value honour but are also backstabbers, but that's never really been elaborated upon.
They charge a premium for keeping their word, and an even bigger one for breaking it.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 24, 2023

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Oh, something else that's interesting. You might wonder why they don't have any subfactions or anything related to the four big chaos gods. It's because their culture specifically repudiates each of the big four's personalities. In turn:

Khorne: They like hurting others and fighting, but it's just a means to an end. They don't even want to kill their enemies, usually. Instead, they want them alive. Violence is a part of their culture that they enjoy, but in the end, it's only for it's useful utility in solving problems.

Slaneesh: Sadism's pretty rampant as well as greed, but they're petty and often impersonal. Dwarves are very temperate people and Chaos Dwarves as well, they just don't find doing things to excess interesting. They're also really pragmatic and personal wants do not outcompete collective responsibility.

Nurgle: They sure do love their pollution, but it doesn't affect them. Also their mindset is completely opposed to Nurgle. Their entire civilization was born as a repudiation against despair: when left to die (at least that's how they see it), they refused to give up and instead did anything and everything they could to survive and to better themselves. Ambition and progress are a core part of their culture.

Tzeentch: Ambition is shackled thoroughly to the good of the whole in Chaos Dwarf society. Their internal politics has sharp limits on what is and is not acceptable. They're not even ruled by a single person, but by a council. While wizards and magic are huge in their culture, so is stability and uncomplicated but effective planning. They just don't go with stuff that is too risky. Against the dozen or so calamities that every other race in Warhammer has to endure, they have suffered one single one and the reason why is that they do not often make mistakes because they are very, very conservative in their actions.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I just connected in my head Hashut -> Bull -> Bull Market.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I also assume it's a reference to moloch, usually depicted as a bull headed idol of iron or bronze to which burnt sacrifices of infants are given, often characterised as endlessly hungry and frequently a metaphor for industry in the modern day.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I love irondrakes.

Deathmaster Snikch, not so much. They're why he's down to two settlements.

I will say I'm warming to this game a lot now that I feel like I'm in control again rather than getting randomly reamed in whatever spot I don't have an army.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Adding in to learning pains chat WH3 reduced the upkeep cost of fielding multiple armies a lot. Having half stacks for every 1-2 provinces may not be optimal momentum but it's amazing safety.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

A lot of chokepoint garrisons can be exponentially improved by a few missing units in a defensive stack too. Dawi garrisons in particular are already robust but a stack with two grudge/bolt throwers and an extra warrior or quarreler can beef up a garrison to hold out against anything but full doomstacks while not costing much at all. And it's a good way of training up new commanders to eventually deploy offensively.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Omnicarus posted:

A lot of chokepoint garrisons can be exponentially improved by a few missing units in a defensive stack too. Dawi garrisons in particular are already robust but a stack with two grudge/bolt throwers and an extra warrior or quarreler can beef up a garrison to hold out against anything but full doomstacks while not costing much at all. And it's a good way of training up new commanders to eventually deploy offensively.
Yeah, the changes to supply lines means these kind of small stacks are definitely worth keeping around in problem areas. They can't push out but they'll gain experience, secure areas, and also can give you more flexibility to catch enemy armies. The AI will play keepaway with your main army if they don't think they can beat it, but they won't necessarily avoid somewhere your main army can forced march to while still being in range of a tiny defensive army that can initiate an attack.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Omnicarus posted:

Yeah when I play as empire, putting some mortars and a beefy, hard-to-kill dude on a horse is a force multiplier.

You put a lord/hero out in front of your gates where towers, dudes on the walls, and your mortars can shoot at the blob that forms around him, and watch as you "sacrifice" a single disposable unit to cut the attackers' numbers by like 40%. Then they have to try to take the walls.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

NewMars posted:

Some things that are interesting about Chaos Dwarfs: They don't really have infighting. They'll politick like mad, but it's non-lethal. This is why they've survived, their population is very, very low and only grows slowly, so pretty much the number 1 virtue in their society is survival and not just for yourself, but for the Chaos Dwarfs as a whole. While Dark Elves having hilariously high numbers to be fodder for their endless murdering is never really explained, the Chaos Dwarfs population issue has always been front and centre: particularly that they're actually smart enough and coherent enough that their population, while small, has always steadily grown.

The main pressure for their empire is actually slaves: the giant capitalism theology doom machine that it is requires more and more every day. As a result, they'll enslave any race except other dwarves and skaven. Other dwarves are too valuable as sacrifices and long experience has taught then that skaven have exactly the wrong balance of spite to self preservation: they will ruin anything they are put to and that is when they aren't secretly deliberately infected to use as living plague bombs.

I was going to say this doesn't fit with the "Obvious Industrial Capitalism Satire" but then I thought about it a little more and, actually, "The rich/elites of society never face consequences unless they gently caress with other rich people" actually fits very well, as does "The rich immediately unify in the face of even the slightest pushback from outsiders and/or the poor."

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Alas for though the size of the hat matters most, having a hat matters more.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I love that one of the most prominent feuds in the Chaos Dwarf hierarchy is Drazhoath and Astragoth. Draz was exiled to a distant but important outpost and became master of it and absolutely kicks rear end at his job but Astragoth is older and more important and just flat out doesn't like him so Draz is just waiting for the drat petrification to take so he can be heard at council meetings again. I wonder how many times Astragoth has insisted that Draz's work is too important to the empire at large to ever remove him from the post, just like real life promotion hell.

:laffo: The only thing more extreme than the grudge of a Dawi is the slightly muted spite of the Dawi-zharr.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Log082 posted:

I was going to say this doesn't fit with the "Obvious Industrial Capitalism Satire" but then I thought about it a little more and, actually, "The rich/elites of society never face consequences unless they gently caress with other rich people" actually fits very well, as does "The rich immediately unify in the face of even the slightest pushback from outsiders and/or the poor."

It also fits quite well with the idea that industrial capitalism reproduces every horror in human history on an incalculable scale while also robbing it of any metaphysical meaning.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Doomykins posted:

I love that one of the most prominent feuds in the Chaos Dwarf hierarchy is Drazhoath and Astragoth. Draz was exiled to a distant but important outpost and became master of it and absolutely kicks rear end at his job but Astragoth is older and more important and just flat out doesn't like him so Draz is just waiting for the drat petrification to take so he can be heard at council meetings again. I wonder how many times Astragoth has insisted that Draz's work is too important to the empire at large to ever remove him from the post, just like real life promotion hell.

:laffo: The only thing more extreme than the grudge of a Dawi is the slightly muted spite of the Dawi-zharr.

Capitalism, baby.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Yeah, Chaos Dwarfs do not have a singular leader, but an oligarchy formed mostly of but not entirely of their sorcerer-priests. There's probably some analogy to be found there in a bickering group of gentocrats distinguished by their access to power, but it falls down in that the sorcerers are all legitimately hard workers insofar as engineering is a requirement of their position.

Something something false meritocracy techbros? It escapes me a bit right now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
That's basically the only part of the "Chaos Dwarfs are late stage capitalism" comparison that doesn't really work - you can't be a big important chorf and also be a completely incompetent gormless failson.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The problem is the "failing upward and making machines that are barely working deathtraps" is a niche that is already filled by the Skaven

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Where the hell are you guys getting all this stuff from, did CA release a manifesto?

Chaos Dwarfs are actually a subtle neoreconstructionist movement, which brilliantly showcase micro- and macro aggresions of both interpersonal and interstrata relationships. In this essay,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Log082 posted:

I think it's more that the elites do bicker amongst themselves, and they are certainly cutthroat assholes against each other, but it's not going to be a fistfight. That would be seen as *gasp* low-class. They'll absolutely loving destroy each other in business and politics, which are seen as the endeavors of the elite. Hiring assassins? Anyone can do that, boring. Crushing someone's reputation, fortune and power base via machination? That's how you defeat someone.