Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Kinda loving Kinta's stairway to keep his videos protected on youtube

edit: you know where to find him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 12:
I love Ura's dedication to doing forward rolls whenever the slightest opportunity presents itself

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Bentai posted:

The Kisenosato/Hakuho rivaly is heating up, now that two-time amateur yokozuna Daiki Nakamura has joined Nishonoseki, which is run by Kisenosato:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2023/03/23/sumo/nakamura-nishonoseki-stable/

Sumo good.

Was just going to post this. Kintamayama's newsletter has a picture of the lad next to ex-Kisenosato and either Kisenosato has lost some size or Nakamura is an absolute UNIT.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

So I think he'll come in as Ms15 in May. We could potentially have a Ochiai vs Nakamura matchup by November or January, depending on how these two do. Just dang.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bentai posted:

So I think he'll come in as Ms15 in May. We could potentially have a Ochiai vs Nakamura matchup by November or January, depending on how these two do. Just dang.

Apparently he gets Makushita 10 because he won more than one of the TD granting tourneys. The only other guys to get that start since 2010 are Mita and Endo while 14 guys have been given 15, including 5 since 2020.

There's a chance that they could fight as soon as July if Nakamura yushos and Ochiai gets like 8-10 the next couple tourneys.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Lucasar posted:

Was just going to post this. Kintamayama's newsletter has a picture of the lad next to ex-Kisenosato and either Kisenosato has lost some size or Nakamura is an absolute UNIT.

Look at the size of his hands. He's enormous.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Harite with those hands would kill someone

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

A backhand from one of those mitts would be like getting whalloped by an oar.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Nishonoseki and Miyagino getting into a stablemaster battle for recruiting the world's largest sumo men

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 13: Tomorrow's matches gonna be spicy.

Daieisho (11-2) vs Midorifuji (10-3)
Wakatakakage (7-6) vs Kiribayama (10-3)
Wakamotoharu (10-3) vs Hoshoryu (9-4)

Hoping for a 4-way logjam going into Day 15.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Day 13:

Jonokuchi: Wait the Junokuchi Yusho winner is named Asahakuryu? As in, Asashoryu, Hakuho, Kakuryu? hahahahaha

Jonidan: Yusho won by a man who keeps reaching Makushita then not showing up to the tournament, lol

Sandanme: Playoff!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Harite with those hands would kill someone

I guess this was an earlier round match, but you probably still need some sort of qualification process to get into the all japan tourney so the opponent should at least know what he's doing...

https://twitter.com/Midnight_Sumo/status/1577065258945900544?s=20

The later rounds seem a lot more competitive but he still looked like he outclassed his opponents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF2o5BQEtLo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Brut posted:

Jonokuchi: Wait the Junokuchi Yusho winner is named Asahakuryu? As in, Asashoryu, Hakuho, Kakuryu? hahahahaha

Lol, but can't argue with results.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

:lol: “get the gently caress outta here”

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
seriously tho how does he get to debut at ms10 when he appears to be fighting people around about the hattorizakura skill level?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

excited for tonight

hopefully i will be awake

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Last night was a very good night of sumo.

It was extremely satisfying to watch Shodai get his KK by bodying Ryuuden. Also, the Hoshoryu/Midorifuji and WKT/Kotonowaka matches were fantastic.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Day 13 Midorifuji vs Hoshoryu. holy hell what a bout. some incredible technique on display

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Day 13

Nishkifuji with a very nice reversal against Hokuseiho. I'll make a prediction: Komosubi Nishkifuji by Haru 2025. Kid's got good instincts and I think he's far from his best potential yet.
Yaaaay Papayasu KK!
Also yaaay Kotoeko, that was a strong performance against a much younger, bigger, and fairly skilled foe.
Nice to see Takarafuji showing some life. Maybe he can cobble together a KK if they give him a couple more opponents as injured as he is. His instincts and ring sense are clearly still there, he's just worn out physically.

I had a really difficult choice on who to cheer for with Shodai/Ryuden. On one hand, Ryuden is a piece of poo poo. On the other, Shodai failing to get KK would be hilarious. In the end I reluctantly cheered for Shodai. And I was right - the look of dejection on Ryuden's face after eating poo poo yet again was absolutely worth it.

Team Bart Primary Boat Anchor Kotoshoho managed a decent win against Tamawashi and I feel bad for Tamawashi. Dude is great and I hope he can rally for a stronger performance next basho. Dude needs to be high enough in the banzuke for a chance at another kinboshi.

Kinda heartbroken for Midorifuji. He tried his hardest and in the end his feet just slipped out from under him. Now it's up to Daieisho to drop one and make it a Super Interesting final day. Fingers crossed!

I feel like Wakatakakage got away with a little bit of a hansoku in the first fight, but I guess that's Sekiwake life.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Marching Powder posted:

seriously tho how does he get to debut at ms10 when he appears to be fighting people around about the hattorizakura skill level?

I’m guessing sumo is like other sports where there is still a huge gulf between the best guy some random school has and someone with true professional potential.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
I think Hiradoumi could become the next Yoshikaze. Guy just goes full speed at everything.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bartolimu posted:

Day 13

I feel like Wakatakakage got away with a little bit of a hansoku in the first fight, but I guess that's Sekiwake life.

I agree. The monoii focused only on their feet and not on WTK's fistful of hair.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Hirayuki posted:

I agree. The monoii focused only on their feet and not on WTK's fistful of hair.

As an avowed WTK fanboy, I also noticed this. The only counterpoint I can think of is that the hair pull would not have had a material impact on the outcome of the match.... Except that WTK putting his hand there means it wasn't hitting the ground before the feet

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1639445528521117698?s=20

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm glad to see Shodai's comeback confirmed by him easily defeating my actual most hated rikishi

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Marching Powder posted:

win one of the 4 recognized yearly amateur tourneys = get to start at ms15 (if you choose to go pro). win one of the other three and the all-japan = start at ms10.

even in japan youth amateur sumo is super niche, so i imagine it serves as a pretty big incentive/reward for someone with real talent to take up a very tough decision about how their life's gonna go - yes, you have to bulk up and take on potential long-term health implications as well as becoming what in many ways amounts to being a household servant, but you start from a position where two or three tourneys woth of decent results puts you straight into the salaried ranks with a base renumeration of $120k a year on top of bonuses and perks.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

:negative:

This basho has been a disaster for most of my stable.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Shiroc posted:

I'm glad to see Shodai's comeback confirmed by him easily defeating my actual most hated rikishi
Shodai?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
A little surprising but I can sort of see the logic, at 7-8 it probably puts him at Komusubi, which if he comes back strong enough to start a new Ozeki run should count just fine.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
yeah, i think it makes sense for him, just a little sad that it lessens the chances of an 'oops! all sekiwakes' banzuke for may

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

so who the hell gets demoted if mitoryu gets a kachikoshi? usually this isn't an issue but there's going to be two guys with 11+ wins from j1e-j3 and only azumaryu looks like a safe bet to go down

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Shodai.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Thauros posted:

so who the hell gets demoted if mitoryu gets a kachikoshi? usually this isn't an issue but there's going to be two guys with 11+ wins from j1e-j3 and only azumaryu looks like a safe bet to go down
no day 14 spoilers, but as of day 13 probably bushozan would be the one to go down with him.

although mitoryu has been in the salaried ranks for 5 straight years now without ever posting a kachikoshi in makuuchi, and has won on the final day 6 times out of 30, so i wouldn't exactly bet much on him managing it now.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Three guesses how this juryo match ended.

VVV Yep.

anakha fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 25, 2023

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Enho and Ichinojo?

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
Day 14: HOSHORYU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Day 14 and look ahead to 15:

I wonder if they'll promote Kiribayama to Ozeki if he manages to win tomorrow. That would give him 31 wins in sanyaku over the last three basho with a Jun-Yusho and a Yusho. Takakeisho is kadoban in May so we might have a July basho with no Ozeki at all if they don't start promoting guys. Daieisho has a less strong case with 30 wins over three with one Yusho. It will be interesting to see what the fallout will be from this tournament.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I wonder if they'll promote Kiribayama to Ozeki if he manages to win tomorrow. That would give him 31 wins in sanyaku over the last three basho with a Jun-Yusho and a Yusho. Takakeisho is kadoban in May so we might have a July basho with no Ozeki at all if they don't start promoting guys. Daieisho has a less strong case with 30 wins over three with one Yusho. It will be interesting to see what the fallout will be from this tournament.

You mean if he wins twice? Hmmm, it's not impossible, but there's a fusen in the jun-yusho and then another from today, so personally I don't think they will, would be nice though.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Kiribayama is setting himself up well, but he's only been at sanyaku for two tournaments (this and the previous). I think if they feel the need to panic promote someone, it'll be Hoshoryu. If he wins tomorrow, that's 30 over the past three. All at sekiwake. He's really recovered this basho well.

In reality I expect WMH and WTK to swap spots and not much else.

Unrelated, I hope Kinbozan learns from his match today and doesn't do similar in a scenario when it costs him. Finish your plate!

Natto's channel is reporting that WTKs injury will require three months of recovery. If that's the case, I would expect him to miss May and fall about to m8. I think that's where Abi landed after missing a tournament at komusubi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Nativity In Black posted:

Kiribayama is setting himself up well, but he's only been at sanyaku for two tournaments (this and the previous).

What? He's only been Sekiwake this basho but he was Komusubi for the 3 consecutive bashos before that