Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Al! posted:

just built 1500 tanks for putin, what did you do with your morning

Show us your tanks on cam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

evilmiera posted:

look at this freak

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

evilmiera posted:

just watch my vtuber stream

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

evilmiera posted:

i thought asking for homegrown was bannable

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
walker bulldog bighead mode

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/Trollstoy88/status/1639274459977621508

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

That's not Medvedev that's the loving Tsar

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
Look at these dumb orcs rolling out these ancient tanks!
* ignore that US has exact same plan if they ever went to war

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

in general, this reveals something about the general rigour of western mainstream press with regards to this war - if something is facially credible and unflattering to the russians, it is subjected to very little scrutiny. if something is flattering to the russians, it is subjected to extreme scrutiny. neither is entirely dishonest, but the practical effect is to turn news coverage into a kind of propaganda.

Part of me wonders if the internet has made stuff like this worse, because now "journalists" are all online and just do some googles and write the exact same articles as each other as a result. They're basically just lazy college students!

Before that, at least you had to manually request information, even if it was just "interviewing US government/military officials."

V. Illych L. posted:

honestly the ISW and british intelligence getting cited without reservation makes me more upset than oryx. oryx has a method which you can sort of accept. it's a very *generous* method, but it is more or less consistent and basically transparent.

the ISW is an outright neocon think-tank, and british intelligence has been basically making stuff up for over a year now. there ought to be at least a sentence or some small caveat when citing them. both are state-affiliated entities with a clear interest in manipulating the discourse around the war. it's incredibly irritating.

What part of "Institute for the Study of War" don't you understand? They study war! It's in the name! Clearly they are experts on the subject.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Mar 24, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Not So Fast posted:

lol right?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ytlaya posted:

Part of me wonders if the internet has made stuff like this worse, because now "journalists" are all online and just do some googles and write the exact same articles as each other as a result. They're basically just lazy college students!

Before that, at least you had to manually request information, even if it was just "interviewing US government/military officials."

What part of "Institute for the Study of War" don't you understand? They study war! It's in the name! Clearly they are experts on the subject.

I don't think it can be the internet at the heart of the problem because even if they had to interview people and read defence journals, I think the pattern of "if something is facially credible and unflattering to the russians, it is subjected to very little scrutiny. if something is flattering to the russians, it is subjected to extreme scrutiny" would be the same, only it would be more difficult to poke holes in within the span of a couple minutes.

It feels like a return to Gulf War reporting, if anything, where loving Vietnam Syndrome or something is prodding journalists to skew things out of a sense of patriotism or something. Taking the L in Afghanistan was hard, everybody can feel that they need a win, and so ISW and Oryx are your one stop shop for the narrative you'd be producing anyway, even if you had to use Jane's and Brassey's.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Mar 24, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

We know the rich actually have amazing class solidarity so I just assume at this late capitalist stage that all media is now acting in lockstep to the same small group of hyper rich

It is utterly corrupt but for some strange reason press beholden to corporations is not criticised the same way a press beholden to a state is

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lmao is that actually how he looks now?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I would like to see Navaltny undergo the same Rocky transformation and when he is released he box Medvedev for the post-Putinian order.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Regarde Aduck posted:

We know the rich actually have amazing class solidarity so I just assume at this late capitalist stage that all media is now acting in lockstep to the same small group of hyper rich

It is utterly corrupt but for some strange reason press beholden to corporations is not criticised the same way a press beholden to a state is

lol yeah but like the loving board of ISW approaches parody.

RUSI, which used to be the gold standard, is putting out articles like Constructing the Orc: Embracing Fiction in Ukraine’s Tactical Narrative which is actually pretty insightful as to how they're lol literally fictionalizing the war narrative, while still towing the company line.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Not So Fast posted:

Another "Victim of Communism" found in perfectly good health you say?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I think it is the internet.

It allowed most people to experience the world remotely, without ever investigating it your self physically.

The essence of journalism, investigation, and reporting was that someone would go physically there and observe. They could make conclusions that weren't obvious because they were physically there.

Anyway, it's just important to go somewhere or read something so you can maybe have a different a perspective and have an epiphany or something.

Edit: I mean people still do that, but it's mostly like youtube vbloggers or some sht.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Lostconfused posted:

It allowed most people to experience the world remotely, without ever investigating it your self physically.

The essence of journalism, investigation, and reporting was that someone would go physically there and observe. They could make conclusions that weren't obvious because they were physically there.

Anyway, it's just important to go somewhere or read something so you can maybe have a different a perspective and have an epiphany or something.

Edit: I mean people still do that, but it's mostly like youtube vbloggers or some sht.

We know how the Ukrainians are running those media centres in Kiev, reporting from there would not meaningfully change anything. Even the Ukrainian reporters from Kiev outlets who are writing stories about how whole companies are getting shelled to pieces while approaching the front still write about inevitable victory and 5:1 casualties. Western reporters there wouldn't believe their lying eyes either.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

cm punk really let himself go

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

We know how the Ukrainians are running those media centres in Kiev, reporting from there would not meaningfully change anything. Even the Ukrainian reporters from Kiev outlets who are writing stories about how whole companies are getting shelled to pieces while approaching the front still write about inevitable victory and 5:1 casualties. Western reporters there wouldn't believe their lying eyes either.

If they said otherwise the reporters wouldn't get published

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Spergin Morlock posted:

nah https://twitter.com/GraphicW5/status/1638992489418727424

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

RUSI, which used to be the gold standard, is putting out articles like Constructing the Orc: Embracing Fiction in Ukraine’s Tactical Narrative which is actually pretty insightful as to how they're lol literally fictionalizing the war narrative, while still towing the company line.

jesus christ

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Spergin Morlock posted:

that chair looks like it's giving him tsar nicky's epaulets lol

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Lostconfused posted:

even if journalists did that it wouldn’t matter to the audience who isn’t going there

this also presumes that journalists, their audience, and their opinions are at all relevant for what will happen and what the government will do.

honestly it’s really easy to just point to every new thing and say “oh that made it worse” because things get worse as time progresses so it has a strong correlation and makes people feel smart

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

Also, the single tank factory is the world’s largest.

In 2010 they set a world production record, and I imagine they are working to built on that now.

This journal is amazing.

quote:

Sevastopol serves as a grappling hook to keep not just Crimea, but the rest of Ukraine on a parallel course. That is especially true for
Ukraine’s southern regions, which are the most vulnerable to Russian influence. So if ever Kiev starts spoiling for a fight
with Moscow (once Yanukovich is gone, for example), Russia will always be able to jerk the strings attached to Crimea,
creating a multitude of problems for Ukraine on a wide range of issues. For the fragile Ukrainian state, which is already split
along ethnic and cultural lines, the consequences of such pressure could be catastrophic. Crimea will continue to serve
as a foothold for Russian intervention in the event of some kind of crisis.And clearly any such intervention, once started,
will not stop at Crimea and almost certainly lead either to a complete loss of Ukrainian independence or the country’s
territorial disintegration. Such disintegration along existing cultural and ethnic divides would likely lead to eastern and
southern Ukraine (the country’s densely populated industrial heartland) being annexed by Russia. The rest of Ukraine
would become a smallish landlocked nation, akin to Hungary, and pose no real threat to Russia.

This was written in 2010.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cuttlefush posted:

jesus christ

It's actually a useful piece because, unless you're already NAFO brained, it admits the Ukrainians are lying (and so we can infer things are not going well) in several ways:

Against this bleak setting, Ukraine’s reimagination of the conflict in Tolkienian terms – a heroic struggle against the Russian orc horde – is evocative, fuelled in part by the unrelenting way in which Russia has prosecuted the war thus far.

The use of narratives in war is not new. During the First World War, Rudyard Kipling’s poem ‘For All We Have and Are’ was unabashed in its labelling of the German foe as ‘Huns’, instantly invoking parallels with the rampaging hordes of Attila the Hun, a notorious fifth-century warlord who had been the scourge of the Roman world. If anything, the importance of narratives in war is even greater today, particularly given how central information warfare is to emerging forms of conflict such as those waged within the grey zone.

One could easily picture the Ukrainian defenders as the Riders of Rohan just as they are about to charge recklessly across the Pelennor Fields (charging recklessly across open fields has gone great for them so far)

The military historian Sir Michael Howard argued that regimental histories often selectively incorporated records of a regiment’s more glorious achievements to construct a tactical narrative whose primary purpose was to sustain the soldier’s morale when thrown into the crucible of battle.

The power of the fiction-based tactical narrative is threefold. First, it is more accessible than historical narratives, especially when disseminated through the cinematic medium, marrying impactful narrative themes with powerful imagery. This was a method that was infamously utilised by Nazi propagandists, a prime example being the film Triumph of the Will directed by Leni Riefenstahl. Such narratives also have a wider popular appeal, extending beyond the national context. (lol)

Second, such narratives espouse a level of heroic action that transcends the boundaries of the mundane, encouraging the individual to push beyond their limitations, overcome their fears and perform deeds of extraordinary valour. (The Ukrainians are hosed in material terms)

Not unlike heroic literature of the past, Tolkien’s epic inspires a grim and stoic resolve – a heroic fatalism even – in the face of extreme adversity.

Finally, the fiction-based tactical narrative promises a type of hope that is only possible in the escapism offered by fiction, unfettered by the harsh realities of this world. This is especially valuable when faced with an adversary that for all practical purposes possesses a preponderance of military power. In what is an asymmetrical struggle, every possible way to narrow the gap must be embraced, even if the methods are unorthodox.

For states with no significant martial tradition, fiction may be the only possible option around which narrative construction can begin (lol)

Ukraine is currently fighting for its survival and must utilise any available tool, even if it is drawn from the pages of fiction.

Summary: The Ukrainians are hosed.

I want to incorporate Arthurian myth into my next journal submission. "Why Ukraine getting battered to death repeatedly like Gawain is proof that the flower of chivalry still blooms amidst the sunflowers".

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Mar 24, 2023

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I don't think it would overturn the prevailing narrative, simply due to the resources dedicated to it. But real investigation and reporting is still a useful social service.

That Seymour Hersh article still mattered somewhat, it wasn't nothing. But yes his investigation was probably mostly phone calls I guess?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

comedy option is they take the deal and then trade the shiny new us weapons for shiny new russian weapons

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Vomik posted:

even if journalists did that it wouldn’t matter to the audience who isn’t going there

this also presumes that journalists, their audience, and their opinions are at all relevant for what will happen and what the government will do.

honestly it’s really easy to just point to every new thing and say “oh that made it worse” because things get worse as time progresses so it has a strong correlation and makes people feel smart

Arguably, any desperate regime is going to lie to its population, and it doesn’t need the internet to do so. One could argue it is simply more efficient in forcing information on to people but also it is less controllable as well (well so far).

It is just been a very long time since the West has a whole has felt that it is collectively on the back foot, and the end result is just well extreme and fairly nonsensical.

————

Things look bad but it is going to turn around when Zelensky throws the ring from Elbrus and the Kremlin explodes.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

i feel like allegedly serious writers unironically using gbs words like tankie and orc is a pretty significant change compared to the pre internet days when there was at least a pretense that we werent reading the words of a gay clown puppet

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

Royal pubs just love fantasy tropes

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Ardennes posted:

Arguably, any desperate regime is going to lie to its population, and it doesn’t need the internet to do so. One could argue it is simply more efficient in forcing information on to people but also it is less controllable as well (well so far).

It is just been a very long time since the West has a whole has felt that it is collectively on the back foot, and the end result is just well extreme and fairly nonsensical.

————

Things look bad but it is going to turn around when Zelensky throws the ring from Elbrus and the Kremlin explodes.

Lostconfused posted:

I don't think it would overturn the prevailing narrative, simply due to the resources dedicated to it. But real investigation and reporting is still a useful social service.

That Seymour Hersh article still mattered somewhat, it wasn't nothing. But yes his investigation was probably mostly phone calls I guess?

yeah I’m probably being excessively negative just on personal feeling. not to imply every single journalist is in the pocket of government or whatever.

but I still think there isn’t anyway the internet made it worse. imagine if Americans only had The NY Times to report the war to them? even if they had to fly there to report on it I don’t think they’d be less hawks. nor do I think the government would protect any press critical of them

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I actually appreciate that RUSI, while still trying to stay on message, has enough professional pride that they're obviously conflicted, like Tackling the Underwater Threat: How Ukraine Can Combat Russian Submarines, which concludes with "they can't, actually".

There are no perfect immediate-term solutions to the submarine challenge. In the long term, after the war’s conclusion, Ukraine might well consider meeting the goals set out in its 2019 naval strategy, including rebuilding a surface fleet capable of limited sea control in peacetime, as well as prosecuting ASW missions near its shores and other sea denial missions. In the meantime, while the ideal of denying areas to Russian submarines is unlikely to be achieved, Ukraine can impose upon the Kilos and their operators a set of conditions which – though they may not end the submarine threat – will strain both vessels and crews. The immediate goal guiding Ukrainian ASW, then, should be harassment.

It's clear what the headline is intended to convey, so what the editor wants, but also that the writer wasn't just going to make it up either.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

although something I hadn’t thought of - maybe American media takes an even more extreme stance since they feel they have to “counterbalance” other narratives people can find so in that sense the internet could make it worse?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

comedy option is they take the deal and then trade the shiny new us weapons for shiny new russian weapons

Those shiny new us weapons probably have an expected delivery date of 2073, and even then will come with a 100 year maintenance contract with Lockheed

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Some Guy TT posted:

i feel like allegedly serious writers unironically using gbs words like tankie and orc is a pretty significant change compared to the pre internet days when there was at least a pretense that we werent reading the words of a gay clown puppet

"Ian Li is currently an Associate Research Fellow with the Military Studies Programme at the S Rajaratnam School of International Studies, NTU, Singapore."

"The S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies (RSIS) is a global think tank and school of graduate education."

"Prior to joining RSIS, he was a HR practitioner with working experience in both the public sector and IHLs. He received his BBus in International Business from the Queensland University of Technology, Australia, as well as his MSc in Asian Studies from RSIS. His honours thesis examined the impact of Asian values on the economic development of Asia while his M.Sc thesis examined the impact of U.S. involvement in Cambodia from 1965 to 1975. "

It's a long way from RUSI practically requiring you went to Sandhurst.

I can't get access to it, but I don't know what to make of the abstract to his thesis:

"The trials of senior Khmer Rouge members by the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) since 2006 has raised public awareness towards the state-sponsored genocide perpetuated by the regime upon gaining power in 1975 following the Cambodian Civil War. Yet, while the trials suggest that responsibility for the massacres rested solely upon the leadership of the regime, the actual rise of Khmer Rouge took place against the backdrop of the Cold War, involving many of the major international actors such as the U.S. and the People's Republic of China (PRC). The U.S. in particular was heavily involved in Cambodia in the decade prior to 1975. This research therefore aims to explore how Cold War-driven interventions from 1965 to 1975 created the conditions that led to the decline and collapse of the both Prince Norodom Sihanouk's Royalist, and then Lon Nol's Khmer Republic governments in Cambodia prior to 1975. The evolution of the Cambodian Civil War is examined in detail, being reflective of the changing internal and external tensions that afflicted the country during this period, as well as of the shifting directions of its foreign policy. The history of U.S. intervention in Cambodia from 1965 is also traced, given its heavy involvement there during this period and the significant impact its actions had on developments within the country. Finally, the U.S.' intervention strategy itself is analysed to understand why it ultimately failed to achieve its objectives and in doing so, failed to prevent the Khmer Rouge's rise to power. The important pitfalls of intervention are then examined to provide lessons for future planners of such intervention strategies."

US Bad?

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Mar 24, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

It's a long way from RUSI practically requiring you went to Sandhurst.

*glances at the achievements over the last 40 years from Sandhurst students*

I guess to be fair, a lot of Middle Eastern royals attended Sandhurst, and they have gained a lot of power over that period.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

tactics of dehumanization has always been popular. I know everyone wants to think there was a time the west was enlightened or something but it never was