Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Rogue keeping Prep and Shadowstep :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
t2 Hanar Prep Cheat Death is absolutely gonna win games

When Pigs Cry
Oct 23, 2012
Buglord
Zilliax back :getin:

It's actually kind of cute that they're going to be adding new cards to wild at some point in the year

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Wonder if those magnetic buffs carry over to battlegrounds, and wb Cult Neophyte

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Rogue keeping Prep and Shadowstep :cool:

the entire team must be rogue mains... every year. another year of the rogue.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Conc going to 3 is... a thing I guess? Probably just to stop comparisons to Paladin spells and DK spells or something.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Garrosh losing both Fiery War Axe and Gorehowl. I don't even know who you are any more.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Unless the other half of warrior card reveals are among the best cards ever made, warrior looks turbo-hosed on rotation. Just the most useless core set changes outside of Sword Eater.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Firebert posted:

Unless the other half of warrior card reveals are among the best cards ever made, warrior looks turbo-hosed on rotation. Just the most useless core set changes outside of Sword Eater.

I seriously wonder what dev has a stick up their rear end about Warrior because they have been dumpstered since what, Sunken City? Like they had a good control deck for a while, and then that ate some of the harshest nerfs I've ever seen a deck get and they have been rock bottom ever since.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
As a Wild only player I love not having to worry about the Core set. Oh no more Brann woe is me! Casual Wild is where it's at. Fight me.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I seriously wonder what dev has a stick up their rear end about Warrior because they have been dumpstered since what, Sunken City? Like they had a good control deck for a while, and then that ate some of the harshest nerfs I've ever seen a deck get and they have been rock bottom ever since.

It’s really impressive in a way just how dedicated they are to making them garbage

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

peer posted:

shadowjeweler hanar in core :pwn:]

Oh my god, I'll never play anything else for the next year but secret/thief rogue.

Wait, Shadowsteps, the legendary spell and the two other almost Shadowsteps? I think I'm in rogue heaven.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Yay eyesore

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Valiantman posted:

Oh my god, I'll never play anything else for the next year but secret/thief rogue.

Wait, Shadowsteps, the legendary spell and the two other almost Shadowsteps? I think I'm in rogue heaven.

Does "Rogue Heaven" translate to "Probably enough to get me to quit Hearthstone for good" to anyone else

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Valiantman posted:

Imagine if Cloaked Huntress wasn't rotating...

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
huh everyone thought that Darkbishop Benedictus was gone for sure on account of being a card from the expansion that is rotating out of standard.. is this the first time a card has been moved from a standard set into the following year's core set?

**I guess some of the tradable stuff is staying in too.. but yeah it's a nice surprise cause without Darkbishop Priest is kind of locked into the control style of play..

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Never thought I'd see mustard back in standard lol

Curious to see how the core and the various small card chances end up shaking out

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Wow, I can't believe they put Dirty Rat back in standard

Edit: Also Solar Eclipse

Chronormu didn't last long in BGs. Guess it was impossible to balance that mess

Luff fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 23, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Poor old Warrior eh? Unless the 4 or so cards they have left to reveal are absolutely insane what do they even do for the next however many months?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
New core set is UNITY. PRECISION. PERFECTION.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The core set changes are to distract you from the absurd DK cards they revealed today

whyyyyyy did they give the boar charge

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Dang, I was just getting excited about zilliax being back and then I saw the boar card.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Fun fact even if you silence Cage head it won't stop Boneshredder

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

thebardyspoon posted:

Poor old Warrior eh? Unless the 4 or so cards they have left to reveal are absolutely insane what do they even do for the next however many months?
I was trying to think about it today; has Taunt ever been a Tier 1 deck focus for any class? Hadronox Druid is the one that I remember the most and that was always mid-tier at best even in the meta of the day.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
The original Quest Warrior was a top-tier deck for a while. Armagedillo was a constructed viable card its first time through. Although they didn’t play any “taunt matters” cards, basically every handbuff deck has made use of large amounts of taunts.

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.
Was really hoping they'd announce they were putting Guff in the core set but then reveal it was the minion Guff.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

NorgLyle posted:

I was trying to think about it today; has Taunt ever been a Tier 1 deck focus for any class? Hadronox Druid is the one that I remember the most and that was always mid-tier at best even in the meta of the day.

Fatigue Taunt Warrior was good during Saviors of Uldum, when they had Dr. Boom Mad Genius from the previous year and endless Tomb Wardens. They brought back a couple of the cards from that deck but not the ones that buffed taunt (to be fair, they do have some support for this currently) and no Dr. Boom hero/Tomb Warden/Elysiana.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

NorgLyle posted:

Druid had an aggro taunt deck in the past couple of years. Bonechewer Brawler Razormane Battleguard+ Oracle of Elune let you make wide boards early, with Arbor Up to finish the game.

fanny packrat fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 24, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

bravesword posted:

Although they didn’t play any “taunt matters” cards, basically every handbuff deck has made use of large amounts of taunts.

Cube Warlock was sometimes in a similar boat. Not strictly a taunt deck but a deck where a lot of the minions had taunt.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Drake no: Secret Paladin
Drake yes: Secret Rogue

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I love Hanar with every bone in my body and him being core will legit make me play standard again.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Well unholy DK can now reliably deal 27 to face on turn 9

This is fine

And it's only 2U so you can go B or F for a bit of sustain/ survivability

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Olpainless posted:

Well unholy DK can now reliably deal 27 to face on turn 9

This is fine

And it's only 2U so you can go B or F for a bit of sustain/ survivability

Unholy just keeps you busy with swarming the board anyway. Now, if you miraculously survive against them until T9, they got a surefire closer for whatever little health you've left at that point. It helps that they can have sticky minions as well with reborn and 1/1 deathrattle summons.

Lol remember when they complained that Charge is so hard to design around?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

just going to leave this one out there:

unholy mine death knight

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Excelzior posted:

just going to leave this one out there:

unholy mine death knight

Oh god yes. This is going to be great, and really frustrating when you don't have ways to proc/buff them.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Yestermoment posted:

I love Hanar with every bone in my body and him being core will legit make me play standard again.

One quick note that Brian Kibler brought up in his core set review video: since Paladin's losing all of their secrets, Hanar can't discover a one-cost secret to fill out your mana curve so easily. It's still a lot of fun, but it probably won't be as stupid as it could be previously.

(This also means Sketchy Stranger is a bit worse, at least for giving you cheap secrets to activate things like the Mage secret legendary.)

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Also, here's an unrelated thought inspired by Kibler's review: he's fine with Shadowstep staying in the core set, because bouncing units is such a core part of Rogue's identity and there needs to be something there that's easily accessible for new players. And honestly, he's has a point. The problem is essentially that we've had the same exact cheap Rogue bounce spell for the entire history of the game and some variety would be nice. After all, look at Eviscerate. Cheap burn spells have been part of Rogue for just as long, and we aren't complaining about Eviscerate because Rogue has had Wicked Stab instead for the past year or two and that's just enough variety to make it feel fresh.

And this is where I get annoyed at Breakdance, because it could be the first good Shadowstep replacement they could use to let us get away from that card for a while, but it isn't. If it was a common instead of an epic, they could have rotated Shadowstep out now and trusted that everyone would have two copies of it after a week of playing and it'd be fine. Instead it's hard to open from packs and annoying to craft. If it had more neutral thematics, it could easily go in a future core set and give us a break from Shadowstep at some point. Instead it's extremely tied to this set's theme, so it would look weird as hell as part of a core set. Either way, we're still stuck with Shadowstep's specific brand of annoying bounce gimmicks for the foreseeable future.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Neat. I assume the ordering works so that if you use the legendary spell and then this on your hero's shield you won't just immediately get it back

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

looks like Amazon Prime might start giving out free Hearthstone drops again? There's a free standard epic card available now until April 19th.

since it's Standard i'm going to wait for Festival of legends to release before redeeming it

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

RatHat posted:

Neat. I assume the ordering works so that if you use the legendary spell and then this on your hero's shield you won't just immediately get it back

It’s actually the opposite; you use this, get a 5/5, and immediately get your shield back. I’m more curious about the interaction with Kotori. Is another minion with DS required to get two 5/5s? Is the game smart enough to target them?