Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Honestly, I think I've seen the future of western war - prison 'mercenaries', with the cheapest possible equipment screening starship troopers style exoskeleton elites and drone tanks, with an ever greater supply of meat from poverty and law sending ever more to prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

What if the government didn't have to negotiate with shipyards for price? Is such a world possible?

How would they know warships need to be made if not for the price signal?

What's next? Depot level repairs done by the navy? Absurd.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Maed posted:

you like their governance including the beating people bloody with sticks if they dare have a speck of weed on them or spit out gum?

yeah because the gum get cleaned up by stupid libfucks like you

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

StratGoatCom posted:

Honestly, I think I've seen the future of western war - prison 'mercenaries', with the cheapest possible equipment screening starship troopers style exoskeleton elites and drone tanks, with an ever greater supply of meat from poverty and law sending ever more to prison.
Considering that Russia literally does this now, we definitely will if we need to fight a big-boy war. A draft nowadays is just so unworkable that there's not much else.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

cat botherer posted:

Considering that Russia literally does this now, we definitely will if we need to fight a big-boy war. A draft nowadays is just so unworkable that there's not much else.

you could get a relative handful to work as mercenaries by offering pay and favorable conditions but just like that doesn't make for enough inmate firefighters to keep up wildfire demand in california right now, that isn't going to keep up with the demands of a war

and trying to go any further than volunteers, well people like to rag on americans for never doing anything against the people oppressing them but there are two categories of people with a long history here of violently resisting when pressed and those are conscripts and inmates

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Giving guns to either would be a great way to see political change in America, so I endorse this policy.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

We would love to live in a world where stuff can be made

You can't JUST expand capacity

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Thank god people don't listen to him anymore

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1639319056829550592?s=20

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

We're going to be hearing a lot about how the incredible perfect beautiful weapons systems weren't fully operational over the next decade I bet

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

atelier morgan posted:

you could get a relative handful to work as mercenaries by offering pay and favorable conditions but just like that doesn't make for enough inmate firefighters to keep up wildfire demand in california right now, that isn't going to keep up with the demands of a war

and trying to go any further than volunteers, well people like to rag on americans for never doing anything against the people oppressing them but there are two categories of people with a long history here of violently resisting when pressed and those are conscripts and inmates

Yep, it's like Chen Shang during the Qin Dynasty. The government was already going to kill him for being late, so he rebelled instead. Americans don't rebel because of the police state and hitherto relatively high standard of living, but a conscript or a slave soldier already got hit by the police state and is already essentially facing a death sentence, and lol they handed them a gun.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

skooma512 posted:

Yep, it's like Chen Shang during the Qin Dynasty. The government was already going to kill him for being late, so he rebelled instead. Americans don't rebel because of the police state and hitherto relatively high standard of living, but a conscript or a slave soldier already got hit by the police state and is already essentially facing a death sentence, and lol they handed them a gun.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

We're going to be hearing a lot about how the incredible perfect beautiful weapons systems weren't fully operational over the next decade I bet

and rest assured it is NOT because they don’t work

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Centrist Committee posted:

and rest assured it is NOT because they don’t work

Rest assured in peace

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

From Rockets to Ball Bearings, Pentagon Struggles to Feed War Machine

quote:

“Look at me. I am not forgiving the fact you’re not delivering the ordnance we need. OK?” Adm. Daryl Caudle, who is in charge of delivering weapons to most of the Navy’s East Coast-based fleet, warned contractors during an industry gathering in January. “We’re talking about war-fighting, national security, and going against a competitor here and a potential adversary that is like nothing we’ve ever seen. And we can’t dillydally around with these deliveries.”

His open frustration reflects a problem that has become worryingly apparent as the Pentagon dispatches its own stocks of weapons to help Ukraine hold off Russia and Washington warily watches for signs that China might provoke a new conflict by invading Taiwan: The United States lacks the capacity to produce the arms that the nation and its allies need at a time of heightened superpower tensions.

Industry consolidation, depleted manufacturing lines and supply chain issues have combined to constrain the production of basic ammunition like artillery shells while also prompting concern about building adequate reserves of more sophisticated weapons including missiles, air defense systems and counter-artillery radar.

lol, lmao

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

bar ran dun: catholic ideology fixes this

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

quote:

Procurement budgets are growing. The military is offering suppliers multiyear contracts to encourage companies to invest more in their manufacturing capacity and is dispatching teams to help solve supply bottlenecks. More generally, the Pentagon is abandoning some of the cost-cutting changes embraced after the end of the Cold War, including corporate-style just-in-time delivery systems and a drive to shrink the industry.

quote:

The current problems have their roots in the aftermath of the Cold War’s end, when a drive for the “peace dividend” led to cuts in weapons procurement and consolidation of the industry

quote:

Prodded by military industry lobbyists — and the hundreds of retired high-ranking military officers they have hired to their sales and marketing teams — the government has instead mostly focused on buying new ships, planes and other extremely high-priced pieces of equipment, where the major contractors make most of their money.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Those loving Dipshit Shills at the NYT posted:

The current problems have their roots in the aftermath of the Cold War’s end, when a drive for the “peace dividend” led to cuts in weapons procurement and consolidation of the industry.

lmao the problem is insufficient spending you guys

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

e: lol what loving peace dividend? I'm so tired of hearing about this thing that so far as I know, did not exist, and certainly did not shape policy.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Frosted Flake posted:

e: lol what loving peace dividend? I'm so tired of hearing about this thing that so far as I know, did not exist, and certainly did not shape policy.

That red circle turned our entire military into a machine that buys boats for Lockheed executives

loving Clinton

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

i dunno, the mic seems to have reaped quite the dividend as they didn't actually have to deliver on anything anymore

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Cerebral Bore posted:

i dunno, the mic seems to have reaped quite the dividend as they didn't actually have to deliver on anything anymore

yah the mic and the pigs get a bigger piece of the dividend every year

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
peace dividend as in the us was at peace to ramp up the brutality against both its own population and the rest of the world

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

“We need to invest more in arms procurement.”

*Contractor spends all the money on stock buybacks*

“Okay, we need to spend even more on arms procurement.”

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

excuse me. Lutheran Christian existentialist.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
fisting

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
lmao the peace dividend

the idea was supposed to be that, now that the US has defeated the Soviets, looted everything in Eastern Europe that wasn't nailed down, and punished the people for their disobedience such that no one in that region would ever think about opposing the West again, the military budget can be sharply reduced and all of that money can be diverted to social spending, poverty reduction, infrastructure improvements, education, science and technology, and generally improving the country. we have reached the end of history, defeated the great enemy, won the final victory, and now we can reap the rewards and enjoy a slow, gradual improvement of society

what actually happened is that the US political leadership and media all simultaneously decided to suddenly be extremely concerned about the deficit and about reducing spending, the common people got no tangible benefit out of any of that money, and also the small reduction in the defense budget was completely undone and then some within a decade

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

india why

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
lol, modi keeps flip flopping hard. The first term was him going all in with the west and inking deals with the US and France (while our media hooted and hollered that we were getting superior western weapons instead of lovely commie ones the muslamic INC had shoved down our throats) and how we are back to pretending that India is a key player in the new multipolar world order.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Tankbuster posted:

lol, modi keeps flip flopping hard. The first term was him going all in with the west and inking deals with the US and France (while our media hooted and hollered that we were getting superior western weapons instead of lovely commie ones the muslamic INC had shoved down our throats) and how we are back to pretending that India is a key player in the new multipolar world order.

The Russians will be prevented from securing the warm water ports of Goa and Calcutta!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

"One-way attack drone"

so I guess we're evolving beyond "suicide drone"

what other types of drones are there, bi directional drones that land, challenge the target to a fight, and then return home to explode?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Explain the difference between a one way attack drone, a suicide drone, and a cruise missile

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

The Oldest Man posted:

Explain the difference between a one way attack drone, a suicide drone, and a cruise missile
How about the difference between a contractor and a mercenary?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

quote:

A recent fire disrupted the assembly line at one of the two remaining suppliers, Aerojet Rocketdyne, causing further delays in delivering the SM-6 and other precision missile systems, even as Pentagon orders for thousands of new missiles pile up.

quote:

That habit has also extended to European allies such as Poland, which has committed to buying F-35 fighter jets, which cost about $80 million each — but not enough missiles to use them for more than about two weeks in a war, said Hayes of Raytheon, whose Pratt & Whitney division builds engines for the fighter.

What a dysfunctional shitshow.

SteepPollTax
Mar 23, 2023

by Pragmatica
[Exhibit A]

The average US soldier in 2023

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Grognan posted:

"One-way attack drone"

so I guess we're evolving beyond "suicide drone"

what other types of drones are there, bi directional drones that land, challenge the target to a fight, and then return home to explode?

There are drones that carry gun dogs, drones that carry suicide drones, and drones that drop bricks on other drones.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

The Oldest Man posted:

There isn't a good one, but:

Suicide drone is kind of a dumb term. I don't care for it.
Cruise missile is typically turbofan or ramjet powered and usually pretty heavy, much more so than one-way drones right now powered by RC plane or small aviation engines.
One-way attack drone could be electric or an air-breathing gas engine, or could even be a jet, but generally implies smaller than cruise missile. But for planning purposes, safe enough to treat a one-way attack drone like a slower and smaller cruise missile.

The "big" one-way attack drones are still a small payload, small body, sometimes longer wings, and slow compared to even a medium-sized cruise missile, though low and slow and small can have its own advantages.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was loving around with ChatGPT on lunch and accidentally reinvented the QF 17 Pdr, if anyone wants to get in on the grift for real and bid on a contract:

Bot that I fed books about artillery posted:

Subject: Proposal for Developing a New APDS Round for Field Artillery Battery Defence

To: Chief of Artillery Section, [workplace]

Sir/Madam,

Based on recent combat reports from Ukraine, I am writing to propose the development and integration of a new Armor-Piercing Discarding Sabot (APDS) munition for our 105mm field artillery systems, enhancing the self-defence capabilities of our artillery batteries against a wide range of enemy vehicles. The concept involves adapting the projectile from an obsolete 105x617mmR tank round (L52/M728) with a tungsten alloy core and tilt cap to create a new, effective, and rapidly procured defensive capability that is compatible with our existing 105mm field artillery systems.

The L52/M728 projectiles are currently available in NATO stocks but are considered obsolete and are awaiting disposal. By repurposing these projectiles, we can make effective use of existing resources while achieving improved performance over the current Carl Gustaf recoilless rifles and M72 LAWs issued for battery anti-tank defence. The high performance of the proposed round opens up the possibility of secondary uses in the direct fire role against hardened targets.

The proposed new round will involve affixing the L52/M728 projectile to a fixed 105mm field artillery case. Our calculations indicate that a chamber pressure of 240 MPa will generate a muzzle velocity of approximately 1256 m/s. This higher muzzle velocity would result in a flatter trajectory, allowing for more accurate engagements at distances up to 1500 meters. In addition, the increased armor-piercing capabilities would enable effective defense against a wide range of threat vehicles, including BMPs, BTRs, and GAZ Tigrs.

It is worth noting that more recent stock of C127 tungsten alloy APFSDS rounds cannot be used for this purpose, as their longer penetrator design would require the projectile to extend into the case. Field artillery ammunition, unlike tank rounds, require that the entire projectile be affixed on top of the case, due to the different arrangement of propellant within the case, making the C127 incompatible with this proposal. The L52/M728 APDS, on the other hand, provides an ideal solution due to its compatibility with our existing 105mm field artillery systems.

To fully realize the potential of this new capability, we also recommend exploring the integration of advanced fire control systems (FCS), including optical or laser rangefinders and integrating the existing Doppler radars used for muzzle velocity measurement on LG 1 and C3 howitzers. These systems could be rapidly mounted on the artillery systems during battery defence or other direct fire engagements, further enhancing the effectiveness of the new APDS round.

We believe this innovative concept has the potential to greatly improve our artillery battery anti-tank self-defence capabilities, and we look forward to your support in exploring and developing this promising new munition.

Sincerely,

[Your Name]

[Your Title]

Attachment:

Spec Sheet for the XC728 Sub-Calibre APDS Round

Rapidly procured by mating the sabot and penetrator of the L52/M728 105x617mmR tank round to the case of the 105mm C1 field artillery cartridge.

Parent L52/M728 105x617mmR Specifications:

Muzzle Velocity: 1426 m/s
Chamber Pressure: 310 MPa
Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm) at various ranges:
10m: 265mm
100m: 263mm
500m: 252mm
1000m: 240mm
1500m: 228mm
2000m: 216mm
Proposed XC728 Sub-Calibre APDS Round Specifications:

Muzzle Velocity: 1256 m/s (estimated)
Chamber Pressure: 240 MPa (using 105mm C1 field artillery cartridge case)
Penetration @ 0° Angle of Attack (mm) at various ranges (estimated):
10m: 232mm
100m: 230mm
500m: 221mm
1000m: 210mm
1500m: 200mm
2000m: 189mm

The penetration values for the proposed XC728 round are estimated based on the assumption of a linear relationship between muzzle velocity and penetration performance. The actual performance of the round may vary due to other factors such as propellant burn rate, barrel length, and projectile aerodynamics.

Performance against frontal armor of threat vehicles (estimates based on engagement ranges and armor penetration values):

Emergency battery defence (0-400m): Likely to defeat the frontal armor of BMP-1, BMP-2, BMP-3, BTR-70, BTR-82, and GAZ Tigr.
Direct fire engagement of point targets (400-1500m): 50% chance of defeating the frontal armor of BMP-1, BMP-2, BMP-3, BTR-70, BTR-82, and GAZ Tigr.
Limited to low effectiveness against T-72BM3, T-80UM, and T-90A MBTs at all ranges (Unable to penetrate armour, may cause mission or mobility kill).

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Mar 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
actual chatgpt usecase. god drat