Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

Diva Cupcake posted:

Thought this was interesting although I'm not sure how much it carries over or what other variables are involved. Fields and Burrow still can't avoid sacks but Herbert is one of the best at it and he was sacked a ton in college.

Dwayne Haskins was clearly not that good at dodging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Pontius Pilate posted:

On the GM podcast on the athletic stream, the gm was saying he wouldn’t be surprised if besides Bryce/stroud they all fell later than expected. But others say maybe four in the top five? Should be a fun draft! And mostly because of that!

Yeah, I question the meteoric rise of Richardson. I feel like the Panthers pulling the trigger on that trade with the Bears shows just how big the difference is between him and Stroud/Young.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

"I can fix him"

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Sataere posted:

Yeah, I question the meteoric rise of Richardson. I feel like the Panthers pulling the trigger on that trade with the Bears shows just how big the difference is between him and Stroud/Young.

The rise of Richardson feels like it goes hand-in-hand with the surprising amount of teams drafting early - Seahawks, Lions, Raiders - that don't need to draft a QB this year, but would be fine with a first round talent that needs some time to develop.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

wandler20 posted:

I could see a team trading up to get Hooker at the end of the first. Then you could pick up his 5th year option at age 30.

lmao I checked and this is not an exaggeration

Hendon is 25 wowzer

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shrimpy posted:

The rise of Richardson feels like it goes hand-in-hand with the surprising amount of teams drafting early - Seahawks, Lions, Raiders - that don't need to draft a QB this year, but would be fine with a first round talent that needs some time to develop.

Also generally, literally the best athletic testing of any QB ever at the Combine(would have loved to See Justin do it, but my guess is he doesn't fall if they have one).

The combine is nothing but interviews, and looking for outliers that make you go back and take a closer look at the tape.

Like Adebawore from Northwestern. Pedestrian tape, but came to the combine and loving blew it up, with some 99/100% percentile type athletic testing.
Dude had a late round/non drafted grade on most boards before he went to the senior bowl, and then put up an absolutely ridiculous combine, and is now probably a late first to mid second rounder.

Richardson is an outlier, if a Team's QB coaches and scouts think his accuracy issues can be fixed with a mechanical clean up and time, then you take the risk, with his athletic talents.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

lmao I checked and this is not an exaggeration

Hendon is 25 wowzer

Qbs if they stay healthy last until their mid 30s. I don't think too many teams are that scared off if the guys good enough.

Elite play for 7 or 8 years would be worth it.

Big if when it comes to if he's the guy though.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

There are plenty of cautionary tales of drafting RAS wonders who show out at the combine.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Diva Cupcake posted:

There are plenty of cautionary tales of drafting RAS wonders who show out at the combine.

What are you talking about?? Gholston has a whole thing named after him! (Edge with no tackles, no hurries, no hits in a game.)

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Gholston had like an 8 million dollar bonus in his contract for the first fumble he recovered. He did not get this bonus.

How in the world are you not going for that on every single play? Even if you just loving hate football?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
9 million actually.

And it was one sack or forced fumble or fumble recovery. Still couldn't get it. Not one loving sack.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Its not like he was non-productive in college either lol. He held the OSU single season sack record until Chase Young broke it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
he was small.

Don't draft small players.

NFL OL will eat them alive unless they are literally Aaron Donald.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean, that is one pretty big unless. Er, small unless. Or whatever.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dexo posted:

he was small.

Y’all remember Trindon Holliday? Dude was tiny but fast.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

I mean, that is one pretty big unless. Er, small unless. Or whatever.

Just be Aaron Donald. One weird trick

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

will gholston ended up good tho

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I think strength is just as important as speed. If you don't have NFL strength, it won't matter how fast you are when everyone is as fast. Because once they get their hands on you, you're done.

Donald isn't just fast

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

will gholston ended up good tho

He's big

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Dexo posted:

he was small.

Micah Parsons is 245lbs.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Micah Parsons is 245lbs.

Maybe the OL are afraid of his hazing prowess :shrug:

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Hamhandler posted:

I know the Dolphins signed Jake Long before the 2008 draft at least, I think it finally did end when they put the rookie contracts in.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3358424

I think it was also a thing before the rookie contracts because of the ridiculous contracts the #1 pick was getting. I have a vague memory of a team with the first pick openly negotiating with several possible draftees, partially to avoid someone that would hold out and partially to try to find someone who wasn't gonna ask for another record breaking contract.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
This WR Class has caught a lot of flack but honestly it looks alright. Just lacks a top 10 guy. Addison, JSN, Johnston, and Flowers all seem like solid back half of the 1st round talent. Addison is probably the low man of that group but he's also a Baltimore boy so I'd be happy with the Ravens taking any of them at 22.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Grittybeard posted:

Somewhere in here?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TZHCY6ceUE

Yeah that was annoying to google even including the year and specific date.

what an awesome game that was

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

This WR Class has caught a lot of flack but honestly it looks alright. Just lacks a top 10 guy. Addison, JSN, Johnston, and Flowers all seem like solid back half of the 1st round talent. Addison is probably the low man of that group but he's also a Baltimore boy so I'd be happy with the Ravens taking any of them at 22.

I doubt any of those guys will last to the back half of the first though that's the problem

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/1639368806588899330?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

kiimo posted:

I doubt any of those guys will last to the back half of the first though that's the problem

You think they all go top 16? That would be a hell of a WR run.

Honestly the Ravens spot feels pretty good. Either they get a decent shot at one of the top WRs or they get a decent shot at one of the top CBs. Either works really out really well for the team. Unless they end up with Joey Porter Jr. I'm absolutely never going to root for that mother fucker.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

i guess you could call me on using the word "half" I just think they're all gone by 31 really

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
That makes more sense. You still have a shot at the most controversial WR in the draft.

Jake Bobo. Great size, terrific name, but will he be able to overcome being an insufferable white boy from Duke.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008

kiimo posted:

i guess you could call me on using the word "half" I just think they're all gone by 31 really

If the Chiefs want a receiver in the 1st round, I'm utterly convinced they are trading up.

Same if they plan on getting a rookie LT and keeping Taylor as a RT.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That makes more sense. You still have a shot at the most controversial WR in the draft.

Jake Bobo. Great size, terrific name, but will he be able to overcome being an insufferable white boy from Duke.

Have you seen Bobo's tape though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SnXqegZeFE&t=38s

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You think they all go top 16? That would be a hell of a WR run.

Honestly the Ravens spot feels pretty good. Either they get a decent shot at one of the top WRs or they get a decent shot at one of the top CBs. Either works really out really well for the team. Unless they end up with Joey Porter Jr. I'm absolutely never going to root for that mother fucker.

joey porter jr going to the ravens would be an epic gently caress you to penn state and steelers fans alike. it would be awesome, and also he's insanely good lmao

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
But you would have Joey Porter Sr in the stands rooting for your team. That doesn't feel right to me.

I'll take the Baltimore boy WR with bad hands who barely outweighs a middle school girl, thank you very much.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Sataere posted:

I think strength is just as important as speed. If you don't have NFL strength, it won't matter how fast you are when everyone is as fast. Because once they get their hands on you, you're done.

Donald isn't just fast

Gholston had the most bench reps that year too. Dude just never developed technique beyond what he already had. Which was minimal.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think joey porter jr should go on the bengals and intercept a pass in the playoffs with the game tied and 0s on the clock. then he should run backwards into thje endzone and get a safety and his dad runs onto the field screaming at eli apple. And they both vaguely attack Eli Apple and you dont know what happens to him. i'm not allowed to say what i was going to say but they vaguely put him in danger of some kind right there on the field and go to prison. But everyone's glad they did it.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Good change of direction on that tape and real tough after contact. I don't see the problem.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Puppy Bowl posted:

But you would have Joey Porter Sr in the stands rooting for your team. That doesn't feel right to me.

I'll take the Baltimore boy WR with bad hands who barely outweighs a middle school girl, thank you very much.

he would absolutely root against his own son

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Since when is our thick necked son considered a first rounder? Good for him if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Borsche69 posted:

he would absolutely root against his own son

Hmm. This is a good point.