Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Quick recommendations on good/safe wireless chargers for the Pixel 7? Just want something I can put on my desk, preferably flat and not a stand, that will work through a 1mm thick plastic case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

Quick recommendations on good/safe wireless chargers for the Pixel 7? Just want something I can put on my desk, preferably flat and not a stand, that will work through a 1mm thick plastic case.

If you're not looking for the absolute fastest charging times the Insignia (Best Buy house brand) chargers have been fine for me. It's also hard to go wrong with Anker, I think.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ankers non-magsafe wireless chargers are still ancient designs with micro-usb :whitewater:

i think they also require a QC charger because they pre-date PD

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

If you're a popsocket user, their wireless charger is quite good if a little on the expensive side:

https://a.co/d/4JHib4T

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Rescue Toaster posted:

Should wait and see what the big flaw with the 8 is first of course. For the 7's it's what, the exploding camera lens cover glass? Not sure what was the biggest hardware issue with the 6 has been.

Whether you upgrade to a 7 now or try to wait for an 8 is probably a devil you know kind of situation. Even if early reviews of the 8 are good the other shoe will inevitably drop 4-5 months later. Doesn't mean it'll be a bad phone just there's always something with Pixels it seems, and it's good to know what it is.

Anyone know if Google's layoffs have gutted the phone division yet?

I'm pretty sure that with the 7, it's the buttons falling off.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have an unlocked Pixel 6 on Verizon, and it looks like just this year Verizon is finally expanding 5G into (a small part of) my town. The coverage map shows it as "5G Ultra Wideband" which under Verizon could mean mmWave or C-Band. Does anyone know if C-Band is also gated to Verizon-specific phone variants, or should unlocked phones be able to access it?

I'll also add that my OnePlus 11 on Verizons network (via US Mobile, an MVNO that uses Verizon) gets C-band just fine. It delivers all the speed I could possibly need (around 300mbps) and I honestly don't give a poo poo about mmwave. 99.9% of people probably shouldn't care about mmwave.

E: Speaking of the OP11, I think it's set a personal battery life record of mine. 3 days with over 7 hours of SOT. I did activate the battery save mode at 10% which turned off the AOD and changed the screen to 1080/60. A lot of that was on either wifi or in a very strong cell service area.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 23, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Decided to check on a whim and my OnePlus 11 just pulled down 700 mbps on T-Mobile in my living room.

So, about the OnePlus 11. Just rounded out 10 days with it and I think I'm ready to switch to something else. Don't get me wrong, for the money it's the best performing thing you can get and the cameras are pretty much "good enough" for most purposes. The update promise is good. If that were my budget and I wanted the best performing and longest lasting phone for that budget, it would be top of the list.

But the software man, the software. Again, it's MOSTLY ok. It's just the nits are adding up and I have so many other options that I don't know if I want to put up with them. Again, if this were my budget and I had one device it wouldn't be a huge issue, but having the choice means they are big enough reasons to move away.

Notifications are still bugging the hell out of me with the double swipe to the lift to dismiss, not being able to dismiss a group at all, tap to expand and not taking me into the app. All those things add up a bit.

Then there's the optimization stuff. If I, myself, select to allow an app to run in the background (like Samsung Health) and also go into the App Optimization and say "Don't Optimize" instead of "Auto" or "Ask" STOP loving ASKING EVERY OTHER DAY IF I WANT TO OPTIMIZE IT. Also, again, the Home Controls don't work and haven't worked for a long time.

So close OnePlus. So close. Polish the software to the level of OxygenOS 11 and you'll get there.

Still haven't decided what's next in the queue. May go back to the Fold 4 for a bit.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Older OxygenOS was better imo. Ran it on my OP7 Pro for a long time and I found it an extremely likeable Android OS. It was visually appealing too, way better than the current look. I remember going from my Pixel 2 and a Huawei Mate 20 to that particular OnePlus and it felt really dialed in.

Maybe I'm an outlier but the notifications don't bother me a whole lot in ColorOS or whatever it is now, and I got the "app optimization" notifications a lot originally but they seem to be rare now. Maybe I just optimized everything idk.

Different things perturb people in different ways I guess. I still pick up my Pixel 7 Pro and am immediately turned off by its edge bonded display and just how much it reminds me of my first HTC Android that was running Eclair and had a plastic screen. It just doesn't feel like a solid, quality device to my fingers and thumbs, even though it's actually an amazing device in all the areas a flagship phone should excel in.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2023

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Tapping a notification group expanding it instead of taking me to the app is definitely the thing I am most annoyed with on Color OS and will probably never ever get used to.

The other one is that because I'm using an imported China version phone, only certain Chinese apps like WeChat for instance will show notifications on the AOD. So that means no Whatsapp or Gmail which was initially also very annoying but I've gotten used to that one.

This one might be specific to my phone and not something across all of Color OS 13 (though I'm not sure), but the home screen only being 4 app icons in width is ridiculous. It should be 5.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, there's no AoD issue with the OnePlus 11 on OxygenOS 13.

Other weird nit. I change wallpaper and the icons all update to the new color scheme, but the rest of the OS doesn't update the color scheme until I go into settings and tell it to extract a new color sample from the wallpaper.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

S23 first impressions: feels much more like I desire in my hand and the hard edges are great.

Twice I've gone through 13 years of apps on my account selecting each one I want to install, upon pressing the button at the top to install them all, play store crashed :shepicide:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

That's been a thing for years. I always go in letter batches, hitting install before I go to checking off the next letter's worth. The play store list to install must easily overflow and kill the store.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I don't think I knew you could bulk install apps.

Since the s23 has been out for a bit, has anyone found a magsafe case that is good and doesn't mess with the spen?

Seems magsafe for android is not really gonna be a thing but I want a phone grip for most of the time but I hate when my phone doesn't lay flat the rest of the time.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What the gently caress is 5G+

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CLAM DOWN posted:

What the gently caress is 5G+

Actual millimetre 5G as opposed to the "we call it 5G but it's mostly just LTE still" 5G, I think?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Actual millimetre 5G as opposed to the "we call it 5G but it's mostly just LTE still" 5G, I think?

Could also be mid-band (C-band?). I know on Verizon my phone will display 5GUW when using C-band. I don't think I've ever been anywhere where I've gotten mmwave.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

codo27 posted:

S23 first impressions: feels much more like I desire in my hand and the hard edges are great.

Twice I've gone through 13 years of apps on my account selecting each one I want to install, upon pressing the button at the top to install them all, play store crashed :shepicide:

Ugh this just gave me such a visceral flashback. My condolences. I just let the auto backup take care of it all. P2 to P5 to P7, never had any issues. Prob should wipe and start fresh but eh

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

No mmwave in Canada, my phone doesn't have the radio. It must be that c-band thing? Sounds like Rogers was rolling it out last year?? https://www.itworldcanada.com/article/rogers-launches-faster-5g-service-on-3500mhz-mid-band-spectrum/488609

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

maybe they spell it different

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
RCS chat has suddenly stopped working on my Pixel 7, with the error message:
RCS chats aren't available for this device Your device does not currently support this feature.

Anyone else have this issue?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Is this a can of worms?

Is there a better keyboard out there nowadays that might be lesser-known?

I loved loved loved Swype in the early days, but after Nuance bought it it went to complete poo poo and was eventually discontinued. I never found anything that worked quite as well, specifically with swipe input. The closest I've gotten is SwiftKey.

I think the main problem I've had with everything I've tried that swipes (Google, Samsung too) is that nothing else has been as good as Swype was with deliberate capitalisation and punctuation. Everything seems to do one thing okay, but fail at other situations. The SwiftKey settings are kinda like that too. You can compromise between punctuation settings, but nothing is quite as good as Swype was.

One specific feature of Swype was drawing off the top of your keyboard to force a capital letter which I haven't seen elsewhere. They all get dumb when you try to write things like "i.e." for example.

I've dabbled with non-swiping keyboards like Fleksy, but I just don't like typing into a phone with soft keyboards.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 25, 2023

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Gboard is still the best I've found. Trying to force myself to actually two thumb type instead of swipe, but 13 year habits die hard.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I never learned to swipe type so I pretty much just bounce between SwiftKey and gboard depending which has annoyed me more recently

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I've been using OpenBoard because I'm a masochist for slowly-updating open source projects. I don't think I can say it's particularly good at anything and the one especially annoying thing is that you can add words manually to your personally dictionary but you can't remove words it learned, even typos you accidentally clicked on.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Swype was my go-to as well. I eventually gave up and now bounce between Samsung and Google.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

:rip: Swype :rip:

This might sound weird, but I use Gboard on my Pixel and Swiftkey on my Motorola. This might be a placebo effect thing, but I swear Gboard works better on my Google phone, while Swiftkey works better on my Motorola. This is completely non-scientific, and I guess what I'm really saying is try either Gboard or Swiftkey as keyboards and see which works better for you.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
What is the double tap on the back of the pixel 7 used for? From looking around, it seems to be one of the newer additions over the 6, but that's all I know.

Also, I'm wondering about one feature that my oneplus had that I miss on the google 6 that I'm also guessing isn't on the 7 either since it would be software rather than hardware related. The one plus lets me change tracks just by touching the screen while listening to audio without waking the screen; for pause/play, I just swipe two fingers down. Swiping > twice, or < twice, will do next and previous track; is there anything similar in the google system? I dug around the settings and couldn't find anything close.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

PageMaster posted:

What is the double tap on the back of the pixel 7 used for? From looking around, it seems to be one of the newer additions over the 6, but that's all I know.

You can set it to do different things. I have it set to turn on the flashlight on my Pixel 6, but you have several options you can choose from.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I went in to get a blackberry.... Something...9700? Wasn't sold on touchscreens. Guy talked me into getting the original Galaxy S instead. Came with Swype preloaded and ruined me for life.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

teethgrinder posted:

Is this a can of worms?

Is there a better keyboard out there nowadays that might be lesser-known?

I loved loved loved Swype in the early days, but after Nuance bought it it went to complete poo poo and was eventually discontinued. I never found anything that worked quite as well, specifically with swipe input. The closest I've gotten is SwiftKey.

I think the main problem I've had with everything I've tried that swipes (Google, Samsung too) is that nothing else has been as good as Swype was with deliberate capitalisation and punctuation. Everything seems to do one thing okay, but fail at other situations. The SwiftKey settings are kinda like that too. You can compromise between punctuation settings, but nothing is quite as good as Swype was.

One specific feature of Swype was drawing off the top of your keyboard to force a capital letter which I haven't seen elsewhere. They all get dumb when you try to write things like "i.e." for example.

I've dabbled with non-swiping keyboards like Fleksy, but I just don't like typing into a phone with soft keyboards.

I still use Swype. Literally.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I use Gboard which works well for me because I'm a G

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I use Waterboard. It's torture.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Nalin posted:

I still use Swype. Literally.

Also in the Swype in 2023 club.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hah I'll try it again. Maybe it works better on a modern phone. I gave up years ago because it had gotten so frustratingly laggy.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I mean, Swype has accurate word predictions. There are gestures to change capitalization, to insert punctuation, to swap input modes, to cut/copy/paste text. Really, the only thing I ever get frustrated about is that it lacks the ability to move the cursor. Other than that, it meets pretty much every single need for a keyboard that I have. Whenever I try a different keyboard, there is always an issue with a feature I consider essential, like not being able to easily capitalize words, easily insert punctuation, or just bad word prediction in general. It doesn't matter if it includes fancy features if it falters on basic word input.

Maybe one of these days somebody will decompile Swype and add some cursor adjustment gestures. That will be day.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does Swype use the Google microphone?
If I'm remembering right, wasn't it using dragon for it's v2t?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

deong posted:

Does Swype use the Google microphone?
If I'm remembering right, wasn't it using dragon for it's v2t?

It uses Dragon, yes.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know about anybody else, but for me Swype got worse and worse on the phone I had at the time, which is what caused me to look it up and see it had been discontinued. I guess others still have it work okay, but for me it absolutely went to poo poo and the up-to-date Gboard and Swiftkey are the closest things I've found to replicating it. I actually find the swipe-typing on iOS okay, too, at least on my work phone.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I miss flexy, back when it was new and fairly streamlined it was so ridiculously quick for typing with

Then it got semi abandoned and returned crammed full of unnecessary features and just wasnt good any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

First issue with the S23: my car stereo isn't that strong so I always have my phone volume on max. But then it stays on max for everything else, so if I look at a story or something on some social media when I'm out of the car, it's fuckin loud. The speaker is so much louder than my p6 too. Suppose I could set up a macro or something to increase when I connect to my stereo and decrease after.