Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, too bad.

Completely unrelated but I stumbled upon the description of the mk2 briefcase while browsing my things:

:kiss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Went out of my way to unlock that just yesterday.

And in case there's anyone who doesn't know about the slow briefcase:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6do1-cmcQHE

Originally a challenge pack reward (well, technically it's a bug that they made canon); you can get it from Sgail mastery now.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
We're far enough away that folks might have the context for that wonderful description.

Hitman 2016 didn't have briefcases at all. As well-integrated as they are now, they didn't come out until Hitman 2.

But they got the physics of the throw... wrong. It's not as noticeable at short ranges, but anything more than a foot or two away, and you realize that the briefcase is hilariously slow. And some characters, like the jogger in Wittleton, actually moved fast enough that the flying briefcase couldn't catch up with them.

IOI realized how ridiculous it was, so they tweaked the throwing physics to be slightly more believable. But the internet being what it is, immediately cried out for the lazy briefcase.

Between that and the fair criticisms leveled on some of the "Mk 2" items (which were duplicates of existing Hitman 1 items with a Mk2 sticker/texture), the solution was the Executive Mark II Briefcase. This one case still wafts after your target like a deadly butterfly with ADHD. There are some limited scenarios where that's desirable, but far more where it's a negative or won't even come up.

Of course, it's the best briefcase in the game.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

H2 was jank in a lot of ways, and even after bugfixes, the slideshow cutscenes are kinda jarring compared to H1 and H3.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

Wizard of the Deep posted:

We're far enough away that folks might have the context for that wonderful description.

Hitman 2016 didn't have briefcases at all. As well-integrated as they are now, they didn't come out until Hitman 2.

But they got the physics of the throw... wrong. It's not as noticeable at short ranges, but anything more than a foot or two away, and you realize that the briefcase is hilariously slow. And some characters, like the jogger in Wittleton, actually moved fast enough that the flying briefcase couldn't catch up with them.

IOI realized how ridiculous it was, so they tweaked the throwing physics to be slightly more believable. But the internet being what it is, immediately cried out for the lazy briefcase.

Between that and the fair criticisms leveled on some of the "Mk 2" items (which were duplicates of existing Hitman 1 items with a Mk2 sticker/texture), the solution was the Executive Mark II Briefcase. This one case still wafts after your target like a deadly butterfly with ADHD. There are some limited scenarios where that's desirable, but far more where it's a negative or won't even come up.

Of course, it's the best briefcase in the game.

Sometimes the internet is beautiful place. :unsmith:

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Ugh, just bombed today's Elusive Target.

I want my suit!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I bothered to SA this guy :toot:

Good thing it's not saso lol and also good thing drowning kills count as accidents because a guard instantly found the dude

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

RBA Starblade posted:

I bothered to SA this guy :toot:

Good thing it's not saso lol and also good thing drowning kills count as accidents because a guard instantly found the dude

Where the hell was a drownable opportunity? He only walked between the bar and the runway and I watched for a while

(Or did you fart bomb him)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Buff Hardback posted:

Where the hell was a drownable opportunity? He only walked between the bar and the runway and I watched for a while

(Or did you fart bomb him)

I farded on him yeah lol. My first time ever doing the briefcase bomb with something non-lethal!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

He wanders next to the water feature by the theater by himself and I think that counts as drowning?

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

I emetic gassed him and drowned him, ezpz. But then I got seen by a guard going for the safe and they shot me dead. I got lazy and cocky and paid the price. :(

I just want my Undying Suit back! I had it back in Hitman 2 and it hasn't transferred over.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's a bit messed up that both the cheesy ways of isolating targets (the seiker and the fart mine) only come from haven island

it's like "buy the dlc if you wanna make the game easier"

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Technically, the Mk2 is even slower than the original 2018 briefcases. NPCs had to be moving fairly quickly for the briefcases to lag in catching up with them; the Mk2 is so slow that it's barely faster than walking speed. Regular briefcases even post-adjustment are slower than other thrown knockouts, too, noticeably so.

In Freelancer, there are some hypothetical situations where the briefcase throw is actually optimal. If you can't let target bodies be found or need unnoticed knockouts, for example, you could throw it at the target, switch to a gun, headshot anyone near them who will witness it, and then the target will get KO'd by the briefcase that was idly tumbling their way. Other thrown KOs will keep you in animation lock too long to really pull that off.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Did we already complain about the cosmetic pack DLCs?

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 25, 2023

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
47, we know the leader is
bald,
wears glasses,
wears earrings,
is a smoker,
has an unquenchable thirst,
and likes to clip through buildings and walk endlessly off the edge of the map.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Oh I had one of those in Berlin! It was Florida Man, but he was way off in the distance, out of bounds on the dance floor level. He eventually walked up to the wall, somehow flew up a storey, and then proceeded to walk through the air over to the tree above the dance floor.

Did Freelancer use some early buggy version of the code?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

The_Doctor posted:

Oh I had one of those in Berlin! It was Florida Man, but he was way off in the distance, out of bounds on the dance floor level. He eventually walked up to the wall, somehow flew up a storey, and then proceeded to walk through the air over to the tree above the dance floor.

Maybe it's just because of not playing much for the last year or so, but I am getting a ton of people seeing and hearing things through walls and doors. Like, distracting a dude into a small bathroom, closing the door, and getting CRIME NOTICED by a dude obstructed by two different walls. It's especially frustrating when that can ruin several hours' worth of progress, instead of like 10-15 minutes.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The_Doctor posted:

If I had to guess, it's probably some strange interactions with how the Freelancer Showdown targets interact with level geometry. I believe they're all mostly or all brand new, none of them exist in the base game (or at least, not with their existing pathing and behaviors). So just less testing and more opportunity for error.

Rochallor posted:

Maybe it's just because of not playing much for the last year or so, but I am getting a ton of people seeing and hearing things through walls and doors. Like, distracting a dude into a small bathroom, closing the door, and getting CRIME NOTICED by a dude obstructed by two different walls. It's especially frustrating when that can ruin several hours' worth of progress, instead of like 10-15 minutes.

For me, some levels seem to be far worse about this than others. Paris, Bangkok, Santa Fortuna, Isle of Sgail, and Chongqing have had some very strange CRIME NOTICED and ENGAGED interactions for me. Simultaneously, those are the same levels where I've gotten away with some murders that were questionable at best.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 26, 2023

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I feel like they broke barf spot calculations again. Everyone on Colorado routes to that corner by the kitchen tent that is completely unsafe, and everyone on Whittleton Creek now ignores bathrooms to go puke in Helen West's birdbath. The little back area behind the knocked out mascot on Miami also has a bin that everyone will go to instead of the nearby toilets, even though the bin is farther away.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Rochallor posted:

New York is having trouble with this, especially the Showdown targets. I had a pile of three corpses in that little side room with the baseball game on the first floor, and a showdown target saw them through two doors and panicked.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
For the longest time I was chalking the X-ray vision up to Hokkaido having lots of glass walls and doors (and that map is absolutely cursed for me in Freelancer, I have never walked out of there without a firefight, I have better luck on Colorado), but after the first couple times I started making doubly sure that doors were closed and the silent takedown prompt was displayed. It just keeps happening on a ton of maps.

I also had a weird thing on Dartmoor last playthrough where one of the enforcers who walks the hall made me in an instant from all the way at the other end of the hall, like at the range where you could shoot a weapon and not be detected. I get that there's a lot of moving parts and they've added a whole lot more with this new mode, but when the odd civilian with superpowers can kill your entire campaign, it's really something that ought to be addressed.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I think it's been a universal experience for everyone playing to get spotted for no reason. Hope they fix it. Do we know how long are supporting Hitman?
IIRC Freelancer was supposed to be the last major update.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

The getting spotted through walls bug has been in the game forever but it's more prevalent now than it used to be. The only way I know to fix it is to restart the game. It'll keep happening if you try to restart a mission or load a save without doing that. I assume you're probably already restarting if it happens in Freelancer though and I don't know if it carries over to the next level if you don't cause I got in the habit of always restarting.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'm willing to cut IOI a little bit of slack here, because Freelancer completely changes the way Hitman is played and some of these bizarre telepathy and x-ray situations almost never arise if you're playing for Silent Assassin. Many of the bugs and glitches that did affect getting SA have been identified and fixed over the years, but I don't think they ever had anyone seriously playtesting why shooting someone from 200m away randomly counts as being "in combat" for 2 seconds, or finding all the weird angles from which you can be unintentionally spotted taking out some NPC no one in their right mind would ever try to eliminate in a regular run.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nakar posted:

I feel like they broke barf spot calculations again. Everyone on Colorado routes to that corner by the kitchen tent that is completely unsafe, and everyone on Whittleton Creek now ignores bathrooms to go puke in Helen West's birdbath. The little back area behind the knocked out mascot on Miami also has a bin that everyone will go to instead of the nearby toilets, even though the bin is farther away.

Fortunately that Miami location is secluded. I’d be really angry if I ran into that Colorado instance.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Monglo posted:

I think it's been a universal experience for everyone playing to get spotted for no reason. Hope they fix it. Do we know how long are supporting Hitman?
They have three patches scheduled for this year, but otherwise it's mostly just maintenance I think.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I think detection through mirrors may be causing some of these problems. It hasn’t happened to me yet in the NY bathrooms but I’ve definitely been spotted through walls on Haven and every time there was a mirror nearby.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Monglo posted:

They released a roadmap for spring 2023 the other day, so hopefully a while yet.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Regrettable posted:

The getting spotted through walls bug has been in the game forever but it's more prevalent now than it used to be. The only way I know to fix it is to restart the game. It'll keep happening if you try to restart a mission or load a save without doing that. I assume you're probably already restarting if it happens in Freelancer though and I don't know if it carries over to the next level if you don't cause I got in the habit of always restarting.

i had a guard spot me killing a target and then levitate straight out of the building and into the skybox when he ran off to try to alert people, so it's not just the targets that violate the laws of god & man

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm still getting really confused by the "arrange a meeting" objective. Does it have to be done while the leader is still alive, because I've definitely arranged meetings a couple of times now after their death with surviving targets coming to the meeting and it just doesn't pop?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Has a weird experience in Paris where I KOed a guard and shot a target in the bathroom with the Druzhina (drat you Strelok Challenge!), dumped him into the closet and then hid in it myself since I had the Hide and Seek prestige objective and didn't mind if the responding guards found the unconscious guy, since he hadn't seen me.

They all rushed into the bathroom, woke the guy up... then everybody turned around and looked right at the closet, the guy I knocked out said,"What's wrong with you? You killed that man!" then they all turned orange and... then calmly walked away, utterly unbothered. My disguise was compromised though, so I had to work around that, but I hadn't really encountered that before: usually if I get spotted magically like that they either beeline for me or spend ages searching.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Mierenneuker posted:

It's one of the 6 escalations from the Deluxe Edition/Pass, you might not have it.

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Yeah, too bad.

Completely unrelated but I stumbled upon the description of the mk2 briefcase while browsing my things:

:kiss:

Oh drat, sorry, been so long since 3 came out I forgot there were tiers.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Does anyone else's game look like dog poo poo after the recent NVIDIA driver update? I noticed when I logged in that all my settings had been reset, so I set them back to what they were (basically everything at ultra except Ray Tracing and the other fancy NVIDIA stuff turned off), and my game looks like this now:

My video card fans aren't even turning on, so I feel like something got screwed up. I'll try rolling back the drivers, but just wondering if anyone else experienced this as well.

Edit: I think I just figured it out. Part of my settings getting reset meant that the resolution scale inexplicably got set to 0.5x. Agent 47 assassinated 3/4 of my pixels.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 26, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well that was frustrating.

I had 1 target in Sapienza, and I put on the time trial complication. It gave me 2 minutes to get them. I started just outside the lab by the cave plane dock. My target was waaaaay off in the distance somewhere by the church. I hot foot it way across the map, getting spotted repeatedly compromised all over the place. I get there, check instinct, and they’ve teleported back to where I was, back in the cave lab. I’ve blown the time trial now, and when I get back to the lab, it’s the female scientist who wanders about the microscope section of the lab itself.

She doesn’t walk all the way across the map does she? She’s teleported over at some point during my rapid trek across the tiny Italian town, surely?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm still getting really confused by the "arrange a meeting" objective. Does it have to be done while the leader is still alive, because I've definitely arranged meetings a couple of times now after their death with surviving targets coming to the meeting and it just doesn't pop?

Yes. You can knock them out, call the phone, then kill them and it works. Not sure why you think it would work after you've already killed the target? You can't poison a target after they have died either.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

There is one female scientist who starts near the confession booth in the church, then goes to the nearby morgue building and then makes her way back to the lab via the path next to the water.

She is part of a mission story in Sapienza to recover a dongle to destroy the virus from a distance. Thing is, it takes her more than 5 minutes to resolve all these events, so... I don't know.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

I can personally attest, the scientist who starts in the church absolutely will not move until you wander near her and hear her conversation with the priest. I know this because I've gotten the priest as a target, poisoned his wine, and 15 minutes and two targets later he still hadn't started his patrol route.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Waste of Breath posted:

Yes. You can knock them out, call the phone, then kill them and it works. Not sure why you think it would work after you've already killed the target? You can't poison a target after they have died either.

The objective doesn't get crossed out after you'd killed the leader - and I didn't think it said you had to arrange a meeting with the leader. So I was being hopeful basically, to try and get it on those showdowns where I quickly found the leader then could spend time 'cleaning up' after

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The objective doesn't get crossed out after you'd killed the leader

🆗, that IS a lil misleading and I hadn't noticed that. But yeah, they have to be either alive or unconscious so they could feasibly try to go to a meeting if they were not otherwise occupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I can't get Arrange Meeting to work at all. I've even specifically used a Banana Peel to slip a guaranteed non-Leader Suspect so I could steal their phone and arrange a meeting with all meeting suspects still alive and conscious and have not had that work. I can get Eliminate Leader - On Way to Meeting every time by calling with the leader's own phone, but Arrange Meeting just never seems to work right.