Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Here's the thing, if changlings tried to blackmail me by threatening a loved one they claimed to have captive, I would assume it was a trick. Because changelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Alchenar posted:

Here's the thing, if changlings tried to blackmail me by threatening a loved one they claimed to have captive, I would assume it was a trick. Because changelings.

Don’t trust them! Don’t believe them!

Let them die!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Alchenar posted:

i just assumed it was a trick

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Same, I don’t think it’s Deanna at all.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Star Trek merging with the ViewAskewniverse

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MillennialVulcan posted:

Star Trek merging with the ViewAskewniverse

"37! My wife hosed 37 Changelings!"

"In a row? :confused:"

YouTubeTekReviewer
Apr 25, 2005

Why did the USS New Jersey look like an upscaled version of the TOS Constitution class rather than the Disco/SNW version? Does this mean ST:Picard is in another timeline so it can safely be dumped in the trash bin and ignored like I already do with the JJ-verse?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
What’s funny is, Deanna is the worst person to have kidnapped to try to trick Riker. They can literally communicate telepathically.

So like, either the show will forget about that, or it’ll be an extremely empty threat.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

YouTubeTekReviewer posted:

Why did the USS New Jersey look like an upscaled version of the TOS Constitution class rather than the Disco/SNW version? Does this mean ST:Picard is in another timeline so it can safely be dumped in the trash bin and ignored like I already do with the JJ-verse?

Oh definitely because the Constitution has never ever had a single refit that radically changed its exterior design

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If you really are Deanna Troi, use your empathic powers to tell me how I'm feeling.

I'm sensing a large amount of anger

Oh poo poo, it is you!

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Super Deuce posted:

What’s funny is, Deanna is the worst person to have kidnapped to try to trick Riker. They can literally communicate telepathically.

So like, either the show will forget about that, or it’ll be an extremely empty threat.

My speculation is that Riker is going to use "Imzadi" and changeling Deanna is gonna go huh?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing is there's no way to tell which direction of dumb the script will take.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Alchenar posted:

The thing is there's no way to tell which direction of dumb the script will take.

We're also at the edge of the wild in terms of how big a turd the show finally shits out into the bed. Because this episode was the final one given out as part of the press screener pack to people. Terry's white supremacist buddies like Robert Meyer Burnett and Nerdrotic got the whole 10 episodes, but this is the last episode that Paramount felt comfortable with giving out to the normies for whatever reason :thunk:

And if the pattern holds from last year, then poo poo goes off the rails turbo hard next week because they only released three episodes of Season 1 and 2 to the press and in both cases Episode 4 was where the show imploded. So get ready :yum:

YouTubeTekReviewer
Apr 25, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh definitely because the Constitution has never ever had a single refit that radically changed its exterior design

I mean, maybe? But they've already used the Disco-prise in the first season of Picard. As seen in episode 2 it's prominently on display in the lobby of Starfleet HQ :

I'm willing to accept the difference between the TOS model and the modern re-imagining as simply the difference in production abilities in 1960s and now. But it would be nice if they were consistent in their own series.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

YouTubeTekReviewer posted:

I mean, maybe? But they've already used the Disco-prise in the first season of Picard. As seen in episode 2 it's prominently on display in the lobby of Starfleet HQ :

I'm willing to accept the difference between the TOS model and the modern re-imagining as simply the difference in production abilities in 1960s and now. But it would be nice if they were consistent in their own series.

That post was meant as a joke and it’s pretty obvious now that the Discoprise, the TOS Connie, and the TMP are all considered various refits of the same class of ship in-universe. Which is totally fine. Even the TOS version had big changes from The Cage to WNMHGB to The Man Trap.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Plus they all look the same

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Why would it be extinct? It's something humans have done for probably nearly all of its history. Probably nobody smoking cancer sticks the same way, but burning and inhaling and exhaling stuff never goes out of fashion.

Unless I’m misremembering, it’s a thing that gets referenced occasionally across the various series in that ‘look at what we got up to as big dumb idiots before world war 3’ kind of tone you’d get a lot, particularly in TNG

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I love "it's AI!!!" being very impressive to dumb people in 2023 and also very impressive to smart people who have dealt with actual artificial intelligences in 2400

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

If you really are Deanna Troi, use your empathic powers to tell me how I'm feeling.

I'm sensing a large amount of anger

Oh poo poo, it is you!
Slightly more seriously, it sure would suck for Vadic if Troi and Riker had some kind of secret telepathic connecton that would be basically impossible for a Changeling impostor to replicate...

Also, if the teaser next week isn't Riker going "Bullshit, my wife wouldn't get caught by you assholes, it's a trick" then Terry can get right in the bin because he doesn't understand basic logic.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Seeing the original Connie and the s5 NX-01 were the only good things from this dump of an episode. The Discoprise looks like trash.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can
I will never understand why they felt the need to mess with the Connie proportions with the discoprise. The vertical scale of Jefferies' design is so unique and adds so much dimension and character... why mess with that and try to flatten in?

The Grumbles posted:

Unless I’m misremembering, it’s a thing that gets referenced occasionally across the various series in that ‘look at what we got up to as big dumb idiots before world war 3’ kind of tone you’d get a lot, particularly in TNG

"Curious... 21st Century humans ingested unhealthy quantities of a carbonated mixture of sweeteners derived from cornstarch and artificial chemical flavorings served in cancer causing plastic vessels."

"Yes, but they mostly abandoned the practice by the early 22nd century..." *Takes drag from cigar and fills spaceship interior with exhaled smoke*

Penitent fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 25, 2023

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

stuart scott posted:

I love "it's AI!!!" being very impressive to dumb people in 2023 and also very impressive to smart people who have dealt with actual artificial intelligences in 2400

lol that really bothered me too

it's just lazy writing, again. AI is in vogue as both a marketing buzzword and a boogeyman today because people think loving chatGPT is going to gain self-awareness any day now and wipe out humanity or something, but those people are complete idiots

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The AI makes me feel seen

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

It's too bad there's not a character that's an ally to both Picard and Starfleet, couldn't possibly be a changeling, has direct ties to Daystrom, and could help someone unite many voices into one while merging flesh and cybernetics. That would be too easy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm sure they actually did kidnap Deanna, because that's the easiest to write

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CaptainSkinny posted:

It's too bad there's not a character that's an ally to both Picard and Starfleet, couldn't possibly be a changeling, has direct ties to Daystrom, and could help someone unite many voices into one while merging flesh and cybernetics. That would be too easy.

Gonna be honest here, it took me a few minutes to realise you meant Jurati. I was thinking "Wait, the Doctor doesn't know Picard..."

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Gaz-L posted:

Gonna be honest here, it took me a few minutes to realise you meant Jurati. I was thinking "Wait, the Doctor doesn't know Picard..."

my mind went to AGIMUS despite the whole "ally to Starfleet" thing not making sense there, but still I want AGIMUS

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Neither did Seven

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

CaptainSkinny posted:

It really is a perfect scenario. It lends some "oh hey, while you were out, some guy came by and said he saw you throwing this monkey's paw out into the sea and thought it looked neat and you might like to keep it, so I put it on your desk" energy to trying to write her out

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Borg should have assimilated the Federation after the end of Voyager, that way we still get SNW and Lower Decks but not Picard.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Are there multiple Daystrom Institutes? I thought Agnes worked on earth. I remember it being brighter too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CaptainSkinny posted:

Are there multiple Daystrom Institutes? I thought Agnes worked on earth. I remember it being brighter too.

Yeah, there's Daystrom Institutes all over the Federation. The one in Okinawa was the Daystrom Institute of Advanced Robotics. It's where AGIMUS and Peanut Hamper got sent as well when they were put in Evil AI Jail.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I was thinking Daystrom Station is like how universities have branch campuses. The University of Oregon plops most of its geology stuff in Bend instead of Eugene because that's where the volcanos are. Which can mean only one thing. The planet Daystrom Station is orbiting is sentient AI and will try to eat Earth at Frontier Day. Matalas was 11 when Unicron did it in the Transformers animated movie. Perfect age from which to crib ideas.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Screeners are out for 7 and 8. The impressions are good?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah those same people reported the eps we've seen as good too, so we know what their floor for what qualifies as "good" starts at "really lovely"

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
drat, they should follow me on Twitter

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Khanstant posted:

Yeah those same people reported the eps we've seen as good too, so we know what their floor for what qualifies as "good" starts at "really lovely"

Yea, they're clearly just letting it wash over them and not checking what's actually going on

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Yeah, I get that hope springs eternal, but it's not like there's some amazing new sci-fi story that will ultimately unfold or that there's some kind of poignant moral message being made here. We're watching garbage; it will continue to be garbage.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Holy gently caress... I may have hated that character but that's fuckin meaner than anything I could ever say about her.

Anyway I just watched the episode. It was entertaining in spite of being awfully stupid constantly. One of the worst parts is the Titan hiding behind the Moon and then suddenly it's out in the open running away from the Daystrum facility. I mean, there's a lot of bad dumb things going on this episode but at least get the ship positioning right.

Worst part that I actually love and want more of: Data/Lore/B4 hybrid. Just go all out, Spiner; I love it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Mar 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I am pro-Spiner hamminess. I even like Masks. But they need to drop the Lore/more rhyme thing. It's not as profound as they think it sounds and defeats the purpose of Brent being able to portray each character distinctly enough that we can tell without being told explicitly