Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Silent Hill 1 wants to vape your fog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

jokes posted:

RE2make is the best resident evil, without reservation or qualification.

It was so good I bought RE3make sight unseen. That was so bad that I remembered to not buy games sight unseen.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I'm extremely impressed that my thirteen year old i7-2600k can run Resident Evil 7 and Village at all.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
shooting zombie hordes in re5 was fun, especially with couch coop
i never played the horror games in the series and never will

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

The new RE engine runs crazy good and looks excellent, even on old hardware. It's ability to render moldy disgusting slimy food is completely unparalleled.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Nice Van My Man posted:

Hah, my dad was one of those RTS turtlers. I remember watching him play protos maps where he would literally just built a line of photon cannons from his base into the enemy base.

I remember doing something similar in a camp lan ffa. Somebody had tons of carriers. Best RTS is online Myth 2. Base building Riftbreakers is indeed pretty good. They are Billions is too shallow (at least when I played it). Am I a bad person for wanting people to find D4 poo poo and to stop buying Blizzard games? I know I'm not because I know them buying mediocre games means less good games get made. Them having fun means I'm having less fun. STOP HAVING FUN YOU SHITS STOP BUYING GARBAGE GOD DAMNIT I JUST WANT TRIPLE A GAMES TO HAVE THE POSSIBILITY OF BEING GOOD AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
For you sliding puzzle afficionados. RE4R just hit me with this poo poo. Yes you rotate the three leaf clover shapes highlighted.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I solved it 30 seconds after posting it having no idea how. The reward:

They loving know

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

triple A games will never be good ever again D&C, sorry to be the one to break it to you

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Triple A anything is bad and always has been and always will be because it's designed as a profitable product instead of a fun experience.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Vic posted:

I solved it 30 seconds after posting it having no idea how. The reward:

They loving know

Honestly not sure what you're trying to tell us here vic

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Devils Affricate posted:

Honestly not sure what you're trying to tell us here vic

People hated the sliding puzzle in RE4 and they made it harder. They are depraved.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

love 2 play sliding puzzles in the game i purchased with the expectation of being scared by zombies

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

The true terror.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I can only mock so hard because I loved Dino Crisis, Silent Hill and Silent Hill 2 and they were full of stupid poo poo too

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

deep dish peat moss posted:

Triple A anything is bad and always has been and always will be because it's designed as a profitable product instead of a fun experience.

Crash Bandicoot kicked rear end though :confused:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Crash Bandicoot is the exception to the rule solely because its working title was "The Sonic's rear end Game"

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I've never played a crash bandicoot should I do that? how often does it make you run at the camera facing forward? I hated that poo poo, it was in Brave Fencer Musashi too which was a weird rear end game I quit on pretty quick over poo poo like that

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

triple A games will never be good ever again D&C, sorry to be the one to break it to you

This isn't news to me. I know. It is just kind of sad and every once and awhile I'm like "eh gently caress it I'm going to go for it" only to be disappointed. Now should I have known Horizon New Dawn or whatever the first one is called was going to be garbage? Yeah I should have but it didn't stop me. I actually got Company of Heroes 3 and while I enjoy it well enough I suppose (you know for a WW2 boring looking, kind of buggy game) it's just like, gently caress this could have been a good indie title that was cheaper, had a more interesting theme, looked better, and was less buggy. Also it wouldn't matter so much but you kind of need players for multiplayer games and these triple A titles generally hog all of the players.

Literally A Person posted:

Crash Bandicoot kicked rear end though :confused:

I haven't played it but yeah it does look like one of the few exceptions.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Private Cumshoe posted:

I've never played a crash bandicoot should I do that? how often does it make you run at the camera facing forward? I hated that poo poo, it was in Brave Fencer Musashi too which was a weird rear end game I quit on pretty quick over poo poo like that

iirc crash 1 has running into the camera at least once per region. but it's been a while and i only played most of it.

brave fencer musashi has you run into the camera just once. and of its many lovely gameplay segments, that is perhaps the least offensive one. the invincible zombie boss where you have to survive until the sun comes up was smart though

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 24, 2023

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I am going to play the gently caress out of the resident evil 4 remake when it goes on sale for more than half off!!

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
So the Crash remasters have wonky jumping or something. They used the Crash 3 physics for jumping in 1 and 2 which makes 1 a harder game requiring more precision. "You fall more quickly upon release of the X button than you did in the original game". It was done intentionally as they felt 3 had the best controls. Devs even recommend playing 2 or 3 first as a new player as they're easier apparently.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

satanic splash-back posted:

I am going to play the gently caress out of the resident evil 4 remake when it goes on sale for more than half off!!

It will be cheap when they remake it again for the Atari Jaguar 4.

That's right, the future of gaming is going to be wild.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

shooting zombie hordes in re5 was fun, especially with couch coop
i never played the horror games in the series and never will

Out of all the games which have grass skirt wearing spear chucking enemies that yell "oogabooga" at you, RE5 is up there.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
How the gently caress did Resident Evil go from 4, which is a loving master class in action horror game design, to whatever the hell RE5 is?

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Its worse than RE6

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Duck and Cover posted:

This isn't news to me. I know. It is just kind of sad and every once and awhile I'm like "eh gently caress it I'm going to go for it" only to be disappointed. Now should I have known Horizon New Dawn or whatever the first one is called was going to be garbage? Yeah I should have but it didn't stop me. I actually got Company of Heroes 3 and while I enjoy it well enough I suppose (you know for a WW2 boring looking, kind of buggy game) it's just like, gently caress this could have been a good indie title that was cheaper, had a more interesting theme, looked better, and was less buggy. Also it wouldn't matter so much but you kind of need players for multiplayer games and these triple A titles generally hog all of the players.

I haven't played it but yeah it does look like one of the few exceptions.

I find all of the 3rd person open world carnival-style action games (where it feels like the world is just a grid full of carnival booths of things to do) really bland but Horizon Zero Dawn is one that really truly baffled me when I actually played it.

The combat is okay, it's nothing exceptional and it hinders itself by giving you extremely easy constant access to tools (tear arrows) that absolutely trivialize it by letting you ignore all of the gimmicks it's intended to have (without being fun enough to incentivize not trivializing it with those tools).

The melee combat is I am pretty sure a joke that was added late in the game when they realized they hosed up and said the game would have melee combat in a preview.

It's a game that is ostensibly about fighting robot dinosaurs but the main big-bad antagonists are literally like... walking gun platforms that aren't even vaguely dinosaurish? And you spend a lot of time fighting things like flying robot birds - an enemy type that has been objectively terrible in every game that has ever included them. (edit: except for Duck Hunt)

Then it tries to do this Monster Hunter thing where you're supposed to hunt down robots and shoot off certain parts of them to get the materials you need to upgrade your gear, except like 20 minutes after the intro cutscenes you reach a town that sells all the best equipment in the game for extremely cheap. So you end up hunting down each of the dinosaur types (all what... 6 of them?) once or twice each then you're done and spend the rest of the game walking past them.

And what most fans cite as their favorite and most memorable parts of the game are literally the sections where you hold forward on the stick while watching extremely long walking sim cutscenes of the main character climbing through techno-caves and listening to cliche "whoops we apocalypsed" recordings. Like, you can guess the entire plot of the entire game within the first one of those caves but then you have to go through several more full of big "reveals" that were telegraphed several hours ago.

I think literally the only reason the game became a sensation was because of weird incels arguing that the main character wasn't sexy enough and how easy it was to mock them and be like "no she's cool", but iirc she had essentially zero personality whatsoever in the game other than making annoyed grunts at the things the data log voice recordings were saying and being a stereotypical fearlessly-persistent protagonist.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 25, 2023

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
im sorry i cant look at nu-aloy and not see the live action movie fred flintstone. john goodman zero dawn

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I also like the implication that hwoever was planning for the end of the world at the hands of robot t-rexes was like "you know, we need to make like, some giant mechanical snakes and sea serpents and poo poo to populate the new world, and we'll make deer robots that eat the grass that the other robots can prey upon for some reason?"

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Resident Evil 4 is a game that's aged extremely well and remaking it is one of the dumber things Capcom has done. There was no reason at all to remake it, especially when there are RE games that need the remake treatment way, way more.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Vandar posted:

Resident Evil 4 is a game that's aged extremely well and remaking it is one of the dumber things Capcom has done. There was no reason at all to remake it, especially when there are RE games that need the remake treatment way, way more.

On the one hand I agree with you 100%. RE4 is one of those once in a generation games that will never not be just as good now as it was then.
On the other hand Capcom is making a billion dollars from this so I guess we’re the idiots.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Unnecessary but so good to play. RE4 aged well, but it is clunky by today's standards. Just the QOL improvements do a lot for the RE4 gameplay.

Like for example when hunnigan calls, Leon can move and casually left hook punch open crates and pick up poo poo while on the call. Just full of nice little additions on top of the graphics overhaul.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As far as games that could use remakes go RE4 is way higher on the list than a bunch of other games that have gotten remakes like Dead Space, Demon's Souls, and The Last of Us.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And those were all good. And so is RE4. The original is still a good game but it's annoying to play now because of the weird controls and it's definitely showing its age visually. I've bounced off it like 5 times in recent years because I think it feels liek crap to play now. it's nice to be able to play it where it feels good as hell and looks great.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

It’s good that RE4 got a remake since a brand new game wouldn’t have half the crazy poo poo they put in it.

Unlike the first three games, the original is still available on every console and Steam. You’re not losing anything from this being made, unless you’re desperate for RE9.

Dr. Video Games 0135
May 20, 2003

That's gonna be a zoinks from me, Scoob

jokes posted:

RE1 REmake is the best resident evil, without reservation or qualification.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
RE1 REmake is not as good as the original and it's a shame that REmake has essentially replaced it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Ashley: Leon are you serious?
Leon: Heh
Ashley: Jumping on chandeliers.. I mean who does that?
Leon: What are you, my mother?

:kiss:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
People get really weird about the into the camera levels in crash bandicoot games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The RE4Remake is really, really disappointing so far but I'm not far enough to confidently say its just "fine".