Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I did my part in preventing Perskeko, but you can be absolutely sure that even if PS gets into government, it will immediately splinter into turbo-racist and regular-racist factions just like last time and just like every populist party ever. The only way they can actually influence the actual political situation is by shifting the baseline rightwards, and I'm glad that it seems like it hasn't worked that well (for the moment at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

bad_fmr posted:

Kenties Odinin sotaveteraani?

Tämä kyseinen ehdokas oli vielä peruskoulussa, kun SoO spedet marssi.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Center and right are seeking full austerity, left is trying to do austerity light, there's some blockification going on so it remains to be seen what kind of eldritch coalition will be possible. CP is diving so deep that straight out Perskeko vol.2 is not possible, but with the assistance of Christian Crazies and Hjallis, suuuure! SFP possibly, but they don't mix with Finnish conservative nationalists so I doubt that.

It's hard to imagine any coherent connecting theme for that bunch, though, except for austerity. TF would slash aid to developing countries again, but it's about the only pet theme that they can get through. TF are alone in thinking that Finland will do fine without immigrants (but there is an alarmingly high number of people who vote them for the dream of racially pure Suami).

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary
There is a possibility of compromises regarding actions on climate change and the loss of biodiversity, which is a thing that cocks and especially kepu will be happy to oblige to with persut, so it would be a step backwards in any case.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Rebochan posted:

Hi, I’m an American that lives in Espoo watching this election really nervously and feeling like the 2016 hell is about to happen again. How hosed are we looking? I literally cannot vote so all I can do is watch very nervously!

If you have a job that pays money and don't need emergency healthcare you'll be worse off but it's not the end of the world.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If you need society's services, a conservative government will be a real problem. And it'll be a very bad time for refugees and the nature.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Hiekkakauppias posted:

There is a possibility of compromises regarding actions on climate change and the loss of biodiversity, which is a thing that cocks and especially kepu will be happy to oblige to with persut, so it would be a step backwards in any case.

I feel Orpo has made a big enough noise about Kok not participating in a government that doesn't take climate goals seriously that Pers goals could be achieved, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't find new ways of cutting emissions through creative mathematics and consider the work done.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Just an anecdote worth absolutely nothing but I had to visit my local shopping centre twice today because I forgot to buy dog food on the first time. The place also has ennakkoäänestyspiste and both times there were long lines to the voting place so, because im obviously too busy, I couldnt just hop in to vote. So maybe people are active this time around?

Then again it was friday and the voting place was next to Alko so

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

bad_fmr posted:

I forgot to buy dog food

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
There's a reason why Finnish leftists are less stressed out this time around.

The previous election, a bougie government could have crippled healthcare for decades. This time around they're mostly going to bicker, something would have to change drastically for Finland to do any worse than the EU in general is doing. This isn't a world-changing disaster either way, though if you have long COVID you might disagree.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

It's difficult to analyse anecdotal evidence, but it's always worth remembering that a low turnout aids Kokoomus as their supporters are super loyal because they reap direct benefits from a Kok government. Meanwhile a high turnout helps Perussuomalaiset as they have a lot of potential voters in the not too enthusiastic crowd (such as one person who told me that he voted once, for Timo Soini for president, but as Soini lost he won't be voting again because it's a waste of time). So if you don't want to see either Orpo or Purra as prime minister, pray for some mystical magic turnout number between the extremes.

Lucky rolls of dice in provinces matter too.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

bad_fmr posted:

Just an anecdote worth absolutely nothing but I had to visit my local shopping centre twice today because I forgot to buy dog food on the first time. The place also has ennakkoäänestyspiste and both times there were long lines to the voting place so, because im obviously too busy, I couldnt just hop in to vote. So maybe people are active this time around?

Then again it was friday and the voting place was next to Alko so

I went to ennakkoäänestää in the shopping centre near me yesterday afternoon, and the line before me was a whole one person. But by the time I was done with the process and was leaving, there was a line of about 10 people. Maybe I just barely beat the afternoon rush?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Rappaport posted:

I went to ennakkoäänestää in the shopping centre near me yesterday afternoon, and the line before me was a whole one person. But by the time I was done with the process and was leaving, there was a line of about 10 people. Maybe I just barely beat the afternoon rush?

They saw a charismatic person going to vote and decided that this is the latest must trend! :awesome:

Or maybe it was just timing, I wasn't there.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Anecdote for an anecdote :v: But YLE seems to have been reporting that the äänestysaktiivisuus has been about the same as in the last EK-elections, so I wouldn't read too much into it either way.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Rebochan posted:

Hi, I’m an American that lives in Espoo watching this election really nervously and feeling like the 2016 hell is about to happen again. How hosed are we looking? I literally cannot vote so all I can do is watch very nervously!

If you have a job that offers a comprehensive healtcare plan you should be fine. Like many others have said 2016 this ain't and who ends up on the top of the heap is still very much in the air.

Hiekkakauppias
Mar 26, 2008

OJ's humble beginnings in acting helped prepare him for the media spotlight in Calgary

Nenonen posted:

I feel Orpo has made a big enough noise about Kok not participating in a government that doesn't take climate goals seriously that Pers goals could be achieved, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't find new ways of cutting emissions through creative mathematics and consider the work done.

Sure but KOK is a party willing to compromise on everything except for tax cuts and privatization. At best they might be willing to compromise on their austerity list, like not cutting from corporate subsidies.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Ataxerxes posted:

If you have a job that offers a comprehensive healtcare plan you should be fine. Like many others have said 2016 this ain't and who ends up on the top of the heap is still very much in the air.

"a job that offers a comprehensive healtcare plan" this is a perversion of the universal healthcare model, as has rightly been pointed out.

https://yle.fi/a/3-12408521 Työterveyshuolto on tehoton ja typerä järjestelmä, THL:n Mika Salminen lataa Ylen dokumentissa – "Pitäisi rakentaa kokonaan uudestaan

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Explaining is not endorsing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hiekkakauppias posted:

Sure but KOK is a party willing to compromise on everything except for tax cuts and privatization. At best they might be willing to compromise on their austerity list, like not cutting from corporate subsidies.

Kok is in fact willing to compromise on those too

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

doverhog posted:

"a job that offers a comprehensive healtcare plan" this is a perversion of the universal healthcare model, as has rightly been pointed out.

https://yle.fi/a/3-12408521 Työterveyshuolto on tehoton ja typerä järjestelmä, THL:n Mika Salminen lataa Ylen dokumentissa – "Pitäisi rakentaa kokonaan uudestaan

Yes, this is very true. But the person asking the question is not Finnish and is concerned. Wrong as it is having a job with solid healthcare is s good way to get care you would otherwise have to wait for.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ataxerxes posted:

Yes, this is very true. But the person asking the question is not Finnish and is concerned. Wrong as it is having a job with solid healthcare is s good way to get care you would otherwise have to wait for.

Unless it's emergency care in which case you're hosed either way, with the staffing problems.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Yes, if you have an urgent medical issue they just tell you to go home and die.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Couple of months ago my left eye suddenly stopped working properly, alongside with my my sense of balance and hand-eye-coordination, and I started shaking and twitching. EMTs took a couple of minutes to arrive and whisked me off to the hospital to be checked. They took blood tests, a piss test and scanned my head, and had a doctor look over me. Really good care, but it took a total of eight hours all in all on a Wednesday, though I am aware that they had more urgent patients to attend to, and I could wait since I wasn't actively dying.

Turns out it was apparently just an inherited tendency towards severe migraines kicking in in my thirties, nothing serious. I appreciate getting only a 25€ invoice for that, and 40€ for a later MRI scan.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Yeah, it's really dumb. I have as complete työterveyshuolto as there is these days (as far as I know) but still think it's a very inefficient parallel system.

Sort of like when they talk about the unemployed and the poor they talk about ansiosidonnainen and asumistuki, but almost never mention toimeentulotuki.

It's because the people who are actually poor don't vote, and also because politicians don't actually understand how the system works.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Treatment for acute life threatening incidents is imo quite good, although problems might come if there's just one doc available in house and they don't have experience of your particular ailment and don't recognize it swiftly. Misdiagnosis can easily lead to no effective treatment until it's too late. Distances to care is also a problem, in the north, in the lake areas and in the archipelago.

But the slowness of the system is also a problem in more chronical cases, like when someone has debilitating pain it can take a long time before they get an operating time, in the meantime here's a jar of opioids don't get addicted mmm'kay?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Yeah. It's more of a problem with elective and less than urgent treatments that suffer.

If you can't work due to busted knee and are in pain, we'll get to you sometime next year.
If you are a delirious grandma and break your hip, you get your final surgery within 1-2 days.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
There's also a major issue for people with mental health problems trying to get treatment. My friend had to wait for weeks and go through endless bureaucracy to get a refill for her prescription during a depressive episode, and she already had a diagnosis. I have no idea how an undiagnosed depressed person is supposed to get treatment in this country. And God forbid you ever admit to having tried budi, you're now a drug addict instead of a mental health patient.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Zyskowicz was pushed to pavement in Itäkeskus. Physical attacks against politicians are rare in Finland, lately I can only think of Sipilä getting punched on street, Soini getting attacked by a Soldier of Odin in Korso and Kataja getting hammered by nazis. From the sounds of it (a big guy mad about NATO and Jews) this was also a fascist.

https://www.iltalehti.fi/politiikka/a/57027e32-5a07-4001-8dc4-316ae0adcfb8

But we must not forget that radical leftism and islamists and immigrant gangs are the main threat in our society!

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Tag yourself.

https://twitter.com/jhilden/status/1639240266421874690

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Kristallipuolue voisi olla hyppykeppi.

e: ja ehkä SDP kuitenkin olisi jotain seniorisähköauton, rollaattorin ja palvelubussin väliltä

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 25, 2023

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
mielestäni se käytetty korolla paikallisesta OK-Autosta on aika tyypillinen demarin kulkuväline

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Nenonen posted:

Zyskowicz was pushed to pavement in Itäkeskus. Physical attacks against politicians are rare in Finland, lately I can only think of Sipilä getting punched on street, Soini getting attacked by a Soldier of Odin in Korso and Kataja getting hammered by nazis. From the sounds of it (a big guy mad about NATO and Jews) this was also a fascist.

But we must not forget that radical leftism and islamists and immigrant gangs are the main threat in our society!

Physical attacks against anyone are not funny, especially during the election campaign season. This does not mean that you can ignore gang violence and islamism (which is of course just fascism with a different name and extra prejudice).

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Poliitikkoja tuntuu huolettavan enemmän se, että joku sanoo heille twitterissä rumasti kuin se, että joku tulee vetämään kadulla turpaan. Mikä taitaa tarkoittaa suomalaisen yhteiskunnan olevan aika hyvässä paikassa tässä suhteessa.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Voted. I hereby reserve the right to bitch and whine whenever I feel like it until the next elections.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Nenonen posted:

If there's one thing far right and far left agree on, it's that jews run the world and are to blame for most of its problems.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
We're less than a week away from election day, and there's a disturbing lack of material. Do better.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

:sickos::smithicide:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The gov negotiations are gonna be hilarious

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I think we're going to see a minority government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fish of hemp posted:

I think we're going to see a minority government.

lol at a minority government in finland lasting more than like a month