Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Wasn’t that story forced to be 2 parts because the suits wanted a 2 part story so they could market it in Japan (or something like that?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

think im gonna rewatch "in the beginning" in a little bit. thats always been my favorite of the tv movies.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
One thing that I've always wondered, CGI-wise, is the Omega-class destroyer's hangar. In every appearance before or after Severed Dreams, they do not have the big red lighting in the hangar bay. Was it something to do with the amount of CGI work they did for that episode? In every other appearance, they are lit only by the running lights.

Edit: And just as I go looking for reference pictures, I found the reason from one of the artists -- they wanted to make the destroyers look more adversarial. Well, okay. I think it looks worse because it's so stark.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 24, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Eyes is such a wild episode when I remember about it. It's a shame that there's not much that builds on it later. I guess it just shows that Earth has got Problems. Maybe it would've been nice for Zayn to show up again as one of Clark's officers in the civil war. He's such a wild character.

Jeffrey Coombs plays very against type as the one nice psycorp guy, but is kinda forgettable in all that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

From the blind watch thread:

Tom Guycot posted:

s3e15 interludes and examination

I still wonder how they can win this war, like, yeah they have the Vorlons now (or at least for one fight), but from the power of those ships, it basically seems like the vorlons are the only ones who can do anything and the rest are paper airplanes flutting around, even if they mass together. I'll need to see some of the younger races win a battle with the shadows before I'm convinced theres even any point to anyone but the vorlons fighting.

:allears:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tom is a fantastic newbie, just excellent

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sebmojo posted:

Tom is a fantastic newbie, just excellent

He just got to War Without End, and he's finally seeing the resolution of payoffs set up years ago. I think he gets it now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man this two parter just won't end.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I absolutely love that all the bad guys in Babylon 5 always look like they are about to storm Nakatomi Plaza. Just peak early nighties aesthetic, before pop culture had decided on the definitive look of the new henchmen.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've started watching B5 with one of my friends who has never watched it before and she was dying at Catherine Sakai's makeup in Parliament of Dreams, said it was "very 80s."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Newbie thread going well.

Tom Guycot posted:

s3e22 Z'Ha'Dum

Holy poo poo thats a season finale.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

1x21: Babylon Squared.

holy loving poo poo!

I don't know who would be reading this thread that's not reading that one. But you love to see it.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Winifred Madgers posted:

I don't know who would be reading this thread that's not reading that one.

Me for one, I gave up on reading the newbie thread a long, long time ago.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Q_res posted:

Me for one, I gave up on reading the newbie thread a long, long time ago.

I think it might be more fun now than it's ever been. Especially Tom Guygot's arc has been great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zat posted:

I think it might be more fun now than it's ever been. Especially Tom Guygot's arc has been great.

It's definitely been a trip watching Tom get caught up in the narrative. At one point I thought he was going to quit. That said, I got particular entertainment from "Where did they find that Einstein looking guy, he's awful". They found Jeff Corey in the Professional Actor's Workshop, which he founded after he was blacklisted for refusing to give names to HUAC. In the 50s and 60s he taught half of Hollywood. Kirk Douglas came to him for advice on how to play Spartacus and Jack Nicholson acknowledged him as the man who taught him how to act.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jedit posted:

It's definitely been a trip watching Tom get caught up in the narrative. At one point I thought he was going to quit. That said, I got particular entertainment from "Where did they find that Einstein looking guy, he's awful". They found Jeff Corey in the Professional Actor's Workshop, which he founded after he was blacklisted for refusing to give names to HUAC. In the 50s and 60s he taught half of Hollywood. Kirk Douglas came to him for advice on how to play Spartacus and Jack Nicholson acknowledged him as the man who taught him how to act.

This is the sort of thing that is cool and good to post as a reply over in the newbie thread imo.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Justin! Justin was great, really jolly and not at all creepy or evil

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

If you want a real trip, before watching him in B5, watch him in "The Night Off" in Night Court S3.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Narsham posted:

If you want a real trip, before watching him in B5, watch him in "The Night Off" in Night Court S3.

''Narsham''... that name rings a bell from the distant past, B5 Wars perchance?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That blind watch thread is so good :haw:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The end of the shadows/vorlon plot is going to absolutely blindside him

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Wibla posted:

That blind watch thread is so good :haw:
Low key one of my favorite threads right now.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've read every post he's made about season 4 in the same tone of voice as the wrestling announcer. "Baww gawd the vorlans destroyed that whole planet!"

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Issaries posted:

As far as I'm concerned, swoopy ships are less advanced :colbert:

This is the good stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqpVl-gdIyE

The "custom CGI" in this is substantially worse than what we get in the show.

FAKE EDIT: I just read it was created using iClone, a character animation tool, which I think uses something more like a realtime/game engine renderer. It's actually... not bad considering!

Also, you're all wrong, the best space battle is "The Fall of Night". It's short, small-scale, has a lot of tension and a neat story-driven three-sided conflict. And the way the Centauri ship half-crumbles half-explodes is :perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPcfQMqcUYY

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Dirty posted:

The "custom CGI" in this is substantially worse than what we get in the show.

FAKE EDIT: I just read it was created using iClone, a character animation tool, which I think uses something more like a realtime/game engine renderer. It's actually... not bad considering!

Yeah I really got a "video game engine" vibe from that, felt like it worked as a proof of concept, but needs like another pass to "soften" the hard edges of the polygons or something.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Just Another Lurker posted:

''Narsham''... that name rings a bell from the distant past, B5 Wars perchance?

Yes. I’m the guy who fought Todd Boyce’s pak’ma’ra B5Wars tournament fleet with the carrier variant and 24 fighters with a Hyach fleet. Nothing like having to shoot down fighters with medium lasers!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Narsham posted:

Yes. I’m the guy who fought Todd Boyce’s pak’ma’ra B5Wars tournament fleet with the carrier variant and 24 fighters with a Hyach fleet. Nothing like having to shoot down fighters with medium lasers!

Plasma. :kingsley:

I was/am Jal on the forum there, nice to run into you. :tipshat:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebmojo posted:

The end of the shadows/vorlon plot is going to absolutely blindside him

Especially as it's the kind of resolution that most shows would end on. For B5 it isn't even a season closer, and wouldn't have been even if S5 had been secure.

The part I always liked most about that resolution is that it's the Shadows who ask if Lorien will come with them. They've always been considered the baddies (up until the Vorlon escalation, anyway) and they're definitely the agents of Chaos, and yet ultimately they're the ones who desire the security of knowing their surrogate father will be there for them as they go into a period of true change.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Dirty posted:

Also, you're all wrong, the best space battle is "The Fall of Night". It's short, small-scale, has a lot of tension and a neat story-driven three-sided conflict. And the way the Centauri ship half-crumbles half-explodes is :perfect:

I respect your opinion, but for me it's still gotta be Severed Dreams

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cheap Trick posted:

I respect your opinion, but for me it's still gotta be Severed Dreams

Right initials, wrong episode. Shadow Dancing has a great space battle.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

Plasma. :kingsley:

I was/am Jal on the forum there, nice to run into you. :tipshat:

LOL, I wonder how many other old B5W players are lurking around here?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tyrel Lohr posted:

I bought the boxed set and a splatbook from a used bookstore back in the day, but I never actually played.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tyrel Lohr posted:

:asoiaf: Looks like not all of us went beyond the rim. :asoiaf:

Pity i was crap at the game, too many numbers for my intellect but loved everything else. :shrug:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I had all the AoG books and a handful of minis but didn't get to play that much.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Yeah, same. The A Call To Arms game was much more playable and better suited for fleet actions. Never got to play that though.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Regarding the Stellaris note someone made in the newbie thread, that event is straight-up called the War in Heaven, it's 100% a B5 reference.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

:asoiaf: Looks like not all of us went beyond the rim. :asoiaf:

Pity i was crap at the game, too many numbers for my intellect but loved everything else. :shrug:

I went close to probably a decade without playing B5W, but then got back into playing off and on using the Fiery Void web client, so now every few months I'll jump on and play a few games of it before I burn out on it again.

I was never a good player, there were others that were FAR better, and even to this day there are a few active B5W players where even at my best I think I could maybe eke out a draw but have no realistic chance of winning a match against them because they plan their moves ahead like it's a Chess match where I'm much more the "play by the seat of your pants" mindset.

If I was to sit down at a table and play something, though, I would probably pick Starmada X over B5W, just because I can setup and resolve a battle quickly and then move on to something else.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Polaron posted:

Regarding the Stellaris note someone made in the newbie thread, that event is straight-up called the War in Heaven, it's 100% a B5 reference.

There's an achievement for leading the nonaligned powers to victory over the warring ancients.

The achievement is named Last, Best Hope.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tyrel Lohr posted:

I went close to probably a decade without playing B5W, but then got back into playing off and on using the Fiery Void web client, so now every few months I'll jump on and play a few games of it before I burn out on it again.

I was never a good player, there were others that were FAR better, and even to this day there are a few active B5W players where even at my best I think I could maybe eke out a draw but have no realistic chance of winning a match against them because they plan their moves ahead like it's a Chess match where I'm much more the "play by the seat of your pants" mindset.

If I was to sit down at a table and play something, though, I would probably pick Starmada X over B5W, just because I can setup and resolve a battle quickly and then move on to something else.

I'm too impulsive for B5W, but was glad to know that Fiery Void is keeping the flame alive.

B5 Full Thrust was more at my comfort level. :shobon:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Tyrel Lohr posted:

I played a little, including a memorable "sink the Bismarck" scenario with two Vorlon ships against a combined shitload of younger races, but I'm sure I played fewer than ten games all told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I played a little, including a memorable "sink the Bismarck" scenario with two Vorlon ships against a combined shitload of younger races, but I'm sure I played fewer than ten games all told.

They had the entire order of battle for Coriana in one of the books. Sure, let me rent a basketball court for a week and a half.