Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Paper Tiger posted:

Poor ol' spr-eckles, bought some avs and lied

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Porfiriato posted:

As someone who knows monkeu almost exclusively from his seraph-style reregs that still regularly pop up in the NBA threads in SAS to take a victory lap whenever the Golden State Warriors are doing well, it's still wild to me that they're the same poster from one of early SA's iconic posts over twenty years ago.

I remember when monkeu finally made it to the US and got to see his precious GSW in person and everyone was like "congrats monkeu we're happy for you but we're still banning the three sockpuppets you blew to post this"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arivia posted:

I remember when monkeu finally made it to the US and got to see his precious GSW in person and everyone was like "congrats monkeu we're happy for you but we're still banning the three sockpuppets you blew to post this"

When the Warriors won the championship he got let back in to SAS to celebrate and lasted a few days before getting perma'd again.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Arivia posted:

It is 2023 and I am just now finding out monkeu, GSW fan who first posted "WATCH BUSH START A loving WAR" was not in fact in the USA?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lol at your av

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

It is 2023 and I am just now finding out monkeu, GSW fan who first posted "WATCH BUSH START A loving WAR" was not in fact in the USA?
IIRC Monkeu was one of Australia's many contributions to internet discourse.

I seem to recall him having an alternate gimmick of barging into the NMD rap thread to sing the praises of Drake. Gotta keep some variety up, I suppose.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

lobster shirt posted:

lol at your av

Reported.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Kins posted:

I seem to recall him having an alternate gimmick of barging into the NMD rap thread to sing the praises of Drake. Gotta keep some variety up, I suppose.

This might be the most unnerving thing I've seen on this forum all week.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

This might be the most unnerving thing I've seen on this forum all week.

oh I'm just sitting in sydney, watchin the telly on the satellite at 5 AM so I can catch the 2006 Golden State Warriors

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

oh I'm just sitting in sydney, watchin the telly on the satellite at 5 AM so I can catch the 2006 Golden State Warriors

I dunno how he got stuck on GSW, but basketball watching is apparently pretty popular in Australia (I mean the NBA), going by a quick google. It's one of the most popular team sports there apparently.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lobster shirt posted:

lol at your av

It's pretty good. Might keep it for a while.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Persona 5 is absolutely wicked and I've been through almost the entirety of the Switch's SMT library since it got its hook into me. Nocturne is the only one I have left and I'm saving it for when I actually have the time to get fully engrossed in a video game.

Do NOT give up your Pixie. It’s okay if you fuse her tho

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

thinking about a racist australian guys opinions on ben simmons

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
one of these days the forums will be in a state where I can give one of my closest friends a reg cert and feel good about it and will have to her all the batshit insane SA lore stuff that shows up here now and again

I love this website but god drat if it isn't impenetrable to people who haven't spent a year lurking

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Can’t believe I was supposed to read the watch bush start a loving war post in an Australian accent this whole time

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kazinsal posted:

one of these days the forums will be in a state where I can give one of my closest friends a reg cert and feel good about it and will have to her all the batshit insane SA lore stuff that shows up here now and again

I love this website but god drat if it isn't impenetrable to people who haven't spent a year lurking

A specific subject matter megathread is a great way to introduce the forums. The NBA threads for example are probably the sanest place on the internet to read about the ongoing season. Same goes for something like a milhist megathread, or Simpsons memes.

Also in general, for video games, anime, guns and military stuff, those subforums are the most readable place on the internet to have an ongoing subject matter discussion. TFR might be the only place to talk guns that isn't a right wing maga hellhole.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

That DICK! posted:

Can’t believe I was supposed to read the watch bush start a loving war post in an Australian accent this whole time

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

That DICK! posted:

:wom:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

That DICK! posted:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The Kins posted:

Monkeu was Classic YCS, in a manner of speaking. I always thought he was really kinda whack and a little kooky but in retrospect his monthly Market Analysis megathreads in YCS were kinda funny. Xbox Fanboy... Him and Flayer had an amazing rivalry. Flayer was the PS3 fanboy. My favorite post of his was when he made a megathread for sucking off the PS3 and making fun of Xbox and nearly every post in there was saying PS3 have no games. WEll anyway around page100 he congratulated everyone on "4000 individual ownages of the Xbox".

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Kazinsal posted:

In addition to pentyne's suggestions, some of the old ARG threads can be good too (particularly Sara), depending on your friend's interests.

Actual forum lore question: I half remember an old thread, probably GBS, about unsecured, internet connected cameras. For as absolutely creepy and depraved as that should have been, I recall it being unfathomably wholesome? Like, some european office worker seeing his security camera going nuts and writing yes/no questions to his interlopers that were answered by camera tilts/pans? Maybe offering it cookies?

Did this happen? Did it avoid the seemingly inevitable awfulness of such a thread?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Paracaidas posted:

In addition to pentyne's suggestions, some of the old ARG threads can be good too (particularly Sara), depending on your friend's interests.

Actual forum lore question: I half remember an old thread, probably GBS, about unsecured, internet connected cameras. For as absolutely creepy and depraved as that should have been, I recall it being unfathomably wholesome? Like, some european office worker seeing his security camera going nuts and writing yes/no questions to his interlopers that were answered by camera tilts/pans? Maybe offering it cookies?

Did this happen? Did it avoid the seemingly inevitable awfulness of such a thread?

This definitely happened and i think more than once. Before security cams were widespread consumer products, most unsecured cams were interesting views of semi-public spaces. Like the first intended webcam stream was to view an office coffee pot to see if it was ready to pour.

The european office worker intentionally shared his cam and the controls to it for interaction, that was super cute.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Heath posted:

Nocturne is the king of SMT

This is true. SMT 4 is really cool though if you have a way to play it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

Free daikatana ritsu

when hes right hes right

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Wormskull posted:

Monkeu was Classic YCS, in a manner of speaking. I always thought he was really kinda whack and a little kooky but in retrospect his monthly Market Analysis megathreads in YCS were kinda funny. Xbox Fanboy... Him and Flayer had an amazing rivalry. Flayer was the PS3 fanboy. My favorite post of his was when he made a megathread for sucking off the PS3 and making fun of Xbox and nearly every post in there was saying PS3 have no games. WEll anyway around page100 he congratulated everyone on "4000 individual ownages of the Xbox".

lol

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Heath posted:

Nocturne is the king of SMT

it is so good

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
and you know who had the best Nocturne avatars? synthy. just sayin

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Grassy Knowles posted:

This definitely happened and i think more than once. Before security cams were widespread consumer products, most unsecured cams were interesting views of semi-public spaces. Like the first intended webcam stream was to view an office coffee pot to see if it was ready to pour.

The european office worker intentionally shared his cam and the controls to it for interaction, that was super cute.

Yeah this did happen. A lot of it was like streets and parks and stuff from around the world where you could see a lot of people and events and just daily life. I think there were like cams from Amsterdam, Tokyo, various European cities and stuff like that. It was really cool tbh

The interaction one was fun as hell. Queueing it and then moving it around was a really fun way to see a city I've never been to before

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

TheMightyBoops posted:

This is true. SMT 4 is really cool though if you have a way to play it.

some people seem to think they're going to announce it for xbox game pass and possibly the switch in may but I don't think that's proven yet, would be great if true though because I've gotta get my hands on that one too

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

SMT games are like, what if Pokemon was actually good

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Martman posted:

SMT games are like, what if Pokemon was actually good

pokemon rules. gently caress you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hey holy poo poo it was incredible to scroll this thread so long that it went back from locked to not locked

Love y'all weirdos

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Stux posted:

pokemon rules. gently caress you.
i will withhold judgment of arceus because I haven't tried it. otherwise pokemon is for babies

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I like Soul Hackers 2 even though it's B shelf SMT

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Literally how I describe them to people who haven't heard of them.

I'll chime in and say even though 5 isn't my fave I like the flexibility that the essence system gives you in building ridiculous summons. Too bad the performance is almost unplayable on switch. Can't wait for a pc release and a photo mode mod...

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Heath posted:

Everyone talked poo poo on this but I can have soul hackers 1 or Raidou battle music so it's 🆗 (for the love of God don't pay full price)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Martman posted:

i will withhold judgment of arceus because I haven't tried it. otherwise pokemon is for babies

things can be for babies and also good

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Waste of Breath posted:

Literally how I describe them to people who haven't heard of them.

I'll chime in and say even though 5 isn't my fave I like the flexibility that the essence system gives you in building ridiculous summons. Too bad the performance is almost unplayable on switch. Can't wait for a pc release and a photo mode mod...

24 demons and they all have repel phys ftw

I liked that they figured out a way to give almost every boss/demon elemental weaknesses and still make them challenging

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The Kins posted:

What is it with Australians and weird hostile posting about sports?

Free tony montana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Heath posted:

I want to like it but it puts me to sleep within an hour of picking it back up, that’s not even really a dig it just makes me sleepy.