Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Jump King posted:

for the next round, each user will have to declare their petty rivalries.

I'll go first: pinter-

I'm too new to have a petty rivalry but now it's gonna be Jump King

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Opopanax posted:

I'm Opop, formerly Retro Futurist, formerly Opop.

My first game here was Amoeba's Plainsville, which was full of reverse death millers and set up me up for a career full of failure.

My favorite game was anytime I was scum or sk, and my favorite memory was both SCUMHUNTER and the bloodbath that followed it

SCUMHUNTER was so ridiculous.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
someone remind me what scumhunter was, i remember it being the first letter of every post but don't remember who was involved or what not

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm too new to have a petty rivalry but now it's gonna be Jump King

gonna be an awkward teammate situation in the temple game then lmao

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Oh, I dont think I played in it, or maybe I did. Merk's experimental you have one post that you edit game that was a good mess.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Snooze Cruise posted:

someone remind me what scumhunter was, i remember it being the first letter of every post but don't remember who was involved or what not

A poster, in their first game, wanted to breadcrumb thet they were town, so in the first letter of every post they spelled out "Scum hunter" and then was confused that this was not seen as a surefire guarantee that they were town.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Jump King posted:

gonna be an awkward teammate situation in the temple game then lmao

oh poo poo you're right, hmm... I'll put our newfound rivalry on ice if you will

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

CCKeane posted:

A poster, in their first game, wanted to breadcrumb thet they were town, so in the first letter of every post they spelled out "Scum hunter" and then was confused that this was not seen as a surefire guarantee that they were town.

MelvinTheJerk, here

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CCKeane posted:

Oh it wasn't his first game, he'd been here for a long time

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Also this game from Ecco where one of my scum teammates and I couldn't talk OOT and they unknowingly blew up me and another scum teammate and then our last member got voted out D1, where town won after N1. I don't think has happened since.

these are the same game fyi

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3405957&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=7#post390804856

efb

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Oh and intros... I'm MockingQuantum, new mafia player, I'm currently in my first forums game, Rimworld 2.

I've played a lot of mafia/witch hunt/werewolf RL games too, though so far I think this is a very different experience (I'm not used to starting in a day phase, most games I've played start with night 1)

My favorite mafia memory was playing in a 40-person witch hunt game at GDC that ended up having 6 deaths in a single night and somehow came down to 3 players when all was said and done, and contrary to all expectations the last two townies successfully voted out the final scum player. At that point a bunch of people who weren't in the game had stopped to watch so like 50+ people cheered after this insanely tense all-or-nothing vote actually went right.

For all I know that's like, an average Tuesday around here though, lol

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MockingQuantum posted:

oh poo poo you're right, hmm... I'll put our newfound rivalry on ice if you will

no take backs, partner

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
I'm Shell. As I said before, been here since Sept 2021, first game being Ecco's Soap Strike Mafia.

I play sometimes. Due to brain being weird and maf being a bit stressful I do mod more frequently than I play those days, usually with Maerlyn by my side keeping track of all the poo poo I forget. Can also (and have) do comod things for people who need one, from flavor to reading/helping with setups and doing graphics poo poo, and have particularly enjoyed drawing those newer than me to the Dark Modding Side.

I talk a lot. I am not a particularly funny person, tho.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm Pinterest Mom (he/him). The first game I played with Mafia players was Awful Survivor: Goons With Spoons, and then I wanted to keep playing games with them so I started playing Mafia.

My favourite mafia memory is playing in Over The Garden Wall. I had a fantastic mason buddy (Puntification) in that game, and I remember this as the game where mafia "clicked" with me, as not just a game for players but as a conversation between mods-who-are-game-designers and the players figuring out what the mods are designing for them. That's a big reason I play mafia - I like trying to figure out the game I'm playing as I'm playing it.

A future Prime Minister of Canada bought me a beer when I was 14.

The petty grudge I hold is at the person who locked in their vote too early in the day and prevented me from pulling off the nearly impossible-to-pull-off "hidden immunity idol" mechanic in PopCon.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 25, 2023

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

I’m shwinnebego/shwiffles (he/him), been playing here for like a year and on breadnroses for another year or so, mafia is cool and fun and I like yall people here

My fave maf memory is hard bussing my scumbud out of the gate d1 and winning this one time it was p cool

Something about me is uh, Ive spent a bunch of the last decade working with Amazonian communities on tropical forest conservation stuff. Also I don't like cops none too much

shwinnebego fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 28, 2023

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I'm Voodoofly (he/him/whatever).

I learned mafia in 2001 or so working with unhoused and at risk teenagers in a group therapy program that was offered as an alternative to juvie for kids who were picked up on minor offenses. There was a lot of conflict in those games as those kids didn't trust anyone and were often hyper defensive. It was usually simple setups, with maybe a cop or doc. We had to break up a lot of potential fights in those games, but on the other hand, they had a standing rule to execute anyone who claimed cop, so in a way those kids remain my mafia heroes. But I never realized that it would be a game that would remain a significant influence over a large portion of my life.

My first internet game here was something I already forgot in 2007 despite JoseV showing me the game like 24 hours ago. The first game I remember was Tom Tucker's Heroes game, where as scum we won in what would probably considered a very unbalanced and scum friendly setup. I of course gloated like an rear end in a top hat after that game was over. I was an arrogant prick in a lot of those early games, and I get really embarrassed even thinking about how I used to play.

I've had at least two main mafia eras on these forums. First was from the early days until 2012 or so. In 2008 I had a major spinal surgery, in the middle of the financial crisis, when my then job went bankrupt while I was recovering in the hospital. I spent a couple years learning to walk, finding a job, and then finding a job in the same state that I lived in, and mafia and the people in this community helped me get through a lot of bad days during that time. I think I stopped playing around 2012 because my life had finally returned to a somewhat normal state of being, and I associated mafia with a lot of the anger, fear, and frustration of those previous years. I realized I had used mafia as an outlet for all those bad feelings, many times not in a healthy way. As I am wont to do, I basically made an unannounced clean break from the community. I ghosted a lot of people I considered friends, many of them still in the community today. Some who are not. I still feel bad for breaking those friendships, especially with those people who aren't around anymore.

Fast forward to 2020. We were all in a pretty rough place during those early Covid days, but I was feeling especially anxious and detached from the world. I had spent the last few years actively trying to emigrate from the US (based largely in part from the spinal surgery and ramifications of losing health insurance during that time), and in February 2020 my wife and I signed job offers in Vancouver, BC, and we were set to move to Canada with our three year old, little fly. We were expecting to get our Canadian work visas in mid-March, 2020, and move up in April, 2020. Covid laughed at that idea. Spending years trying to make an international move happen, only to have it yanked out from under us, in the midst of a global pandemic, was pretty soul crushing.

Then I got a random message from Kloaked, asking if I wanted to play in the Good Place. Here was a community that I had basically abandoned that welcomed me back with open arms, right at the time I felt most alone. That message is my favorite mafia memory, because over these last three years (holy poo poo 3!!!) the SA Mafia community has been a warm beacon in many cold times. I've made and remade a lot of friends and had a lot of great times in and outside of the games we play here. This was especially true during that first year of Covid and then in 2021 when I finally moved to a new city, and new country, experiencing the loneliness of rebuilding a life and social network from scratch during a global pandemic.

I have had plenty of other great memories as well, although if I'm being honest almost all of the ones that immediately come to mind have been in the last few years. Seeing that people took my stupid WIFOA format and ran crazy with it. Watching Grandi try to build a 1000+ word role PM in Cookfia after Shell organized every observer to gift me every spice imaginable. Being a part of Hal's 500th game. Breaking Grandi's charging vig role by vigging scum merk on day 1 with it. Seeing how people have grown up, started families, careers, and otherwise made really cool lives for themselves. Learning how amazing masonries are through the sharing of pet pics. Having sandwolf play pokemon with little fly last year in Boston and remembering that this really cool guy used to be a snot nosed teenager in my early games who complained about deadline times because they were when he was in class. And definitely seeing so many new players come in and completely destroy me game after game.

So probably too much info but this community has meant a lot to me over the years and I just want to pay it due respect. If I have come across as an rear end or jerk to you at any point, ever, I want to apologize now. I would say I didn't mean it when it happened but depending on how far back it was that might not be true. Hopefully I'll be in a game with you soon, and if you are ever anywhere near Vancouver BC you should hit me up for a place to crash or even just someone to show you around (seriously).

Oh yeah fun fact? Hell if I know.

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 25, 2023

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

EccoRaven posted:

I think we should say our handles, our first mafia game, a favorite mafia memory, and why we like to play mafia and/or something fun about ourselves.

i am STONE COLD 64, aka JOHN CENA, aka GIF PROBST, aka you know what i have a lot of name changes.

my first mafia game was in the early 00s but my first one on SA? I don't remember, i think it was Metal Gear Solid.

my favorite mafia memory is certainly not Jose Valasquez shooting me right before i was set to reach my wincon in HP Mafia

i like to play mafia because it lets me interact with people in a way i usually don't get to where you are simultaneously looking for what isn't being said vs what is actually being said. i love the mystery of the game and just untangling everything. but the other fact is i actually much prefer running games to actually playing in them. i like to see what people do when presented with a sandbox. also i don't treat capitalization or punctuation with any regard or respect in mafia. i do not feel that its my job to make things easy for scum. even in serious games i am going to have my own fun

as for something fun about myself, my love of mafia goes back far enough that it resulted in me once making a very poor choice for an AOL username

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
Hello I'm AnonymousNarcotics aka ANarc (they/them)

My first SA Mafia game was Draw3ia which sadly died before it ended. My first REAL game was Skyrim Mafia which was a fire and ice game and I was werewolves with Rarity and we won and it was awesome. This was early 2015.

One of my favorite games was Byers' CYO 90s Song and I was The Thong Song which entertained me to no end. I'm also a big fan of all the Cookfia games.

I've played in a few FRGs including Survivor, Big Brother, and Popcon.

I basically left the community after making an rear end of myself when I was a super hardcore drug addict in 2017, got clean in 2018, and started playing mafia again 9 months ago ish?

Fun fact: I used to be a birthday party clown named Chuckles! I made balloon animals and stuff (I wasn't very good)

Also fun fact: I have met a lot of mafia goons irl! We did escape rooms in NYC!

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Hi! I'm Sandwolf (he/him) but I go by Sand, Sandy, and I personally have always like Sandypants. I help run the Mafia discord and I help manage the OP of this thread (though I can take almost no credit for its contents). I am also someone you can come talk to if you have any issues within the Mafia community and feel the need to talk to someone about it!

My first Mafia game was in 2007, Stalker Mafia run by windshipper. I, uh, I signed up for that game when I was 13. I had almost no clue what I was doing but windshipper spent a lot of time doing what is probably a mod no-no and helping me both understand mafia and even helped me craft some posts. I was eliminated on D1 like four-five games in a row because I was just so so bad. But I always felt like kind of the younger brother tagging along with the cool kids when I was first playing mafia, and people grew to be kind to me. I had such a reputation for being hot garbage there was a game (Electric Six mafia?) where I legitimately got an unironic jester role. I was close to being eliminated and a vig shot me. I was so bad I lost at the easiest role in the game.

But I have come and gone over the years at various times when life gets slow or I'm looking for some cerebral challenge. I have been privileged (read: brains broken) enough to be a part of this community in various ways for almost 16 years (jfc). I feel genuinely privileged to recognize so many names here. I cannot tell how many folks in real life I have explained this silly online community to. These things feel like cute dinner party murder-mysteries at this point, hanging out with my friends, playing a game.

My favorite Mafia memory on forum is the loving one I never shut up about. Which is killing Opopanax at the very end of Indiana Jones Mafia. We were both 3P, I was being pinned as the last scum, but I had actually sat on a vigilante shot until LYLO and shot Opopanax and won the game, setting off a beautiful decade long feud. I also won in a Squid Game mafia more recently, after my team had been wiped pretty early and I tried about a half dozen gambits, some worked, some didn't, but it was a very fun win to achieve. Egg Eggwich.

But frankly, some of my fondest memories of SA Mafia are the times I've gotten to meet folks in real life. Windy invited me to be in his wedding despite us never having met in real life, it was a fantastic time, it was like meeting an old friend. 100YrsOfAttitude inviting me into his home when I was a young lad abroad in Paris and cooking for me and with me. Getting to hangout with Voodoofly and meet his lovely family and get to hear him explain to his wife (for the first time?!) what Mafia was and who the gently caress this stranger was having lunch with them. Getting dinner with Hal and chatting like we've been getting dinner every couple months for years.

This community is fantastic and I'm glad to be a part of it.

(pulled off a ninja edit on this post)

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

STONE COLD 64 posted:

as for something fun about myself, my love of mafia goes back far enough that it resulted in me once making a very poor choice for an AOL username

tell us the name, JOHNATHAN CENA :allears:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Thread has taken a turn for the heartwarming, gotta say.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Hello, I am Yami Fenrir.

I don't remember the exact name but my first game was a spaceship game with a crazy orb death cult.

I remember it because it had Harold Krell in it and he lost the game despite having a role that wins automatically.

My favorite memory? Probably my first scum game with birdstrike and Monathin. Having my first scum game be a complete sweep kind of set the tone for me and is what made me prefer scum to town. IIRC I do have an above average winrate as scum even now, probably more so than town.

I like playing mafia because... hard to say, really. Social deduction games have always intrigued me because it goes beyond the mechanics and into, well, social stuff. I started out with Throne of Lies which I was a big fan of (RIP) and was reading a lot of forum games. It was Natural20's Dragon Ball Z series of mafia games that eventually convinced me to join an actual game.

I tend to run a lot of games that people consider a bit whacky (the so called "Yamigames") which are aimed to be fresh while still being (mostly) balanced. I generally prefer modding to playing unless the flavor intrigues me.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

My first scum game was GoldenZucchini's Final Fantasy II, where we got a flawless scum victory and a quick hammer for the win because I couldn't go to sleep because of adrenaline from the game, so I got out of bed and all of the scum were around to drop the hammer because a townie misvoted. I still chase that feeling.

We did this in Arknights Mafia! A crazy thing Yami drew up that had a scum role spread a virus that made them onto unflipped stumps. It was I think a 15 player game, one target a night and they'd pass it along to everyone who interacted with them, it was also Role Madness so everyone including us was infected by Day 3, lol.

Anyway someone pissed off the 3p surv badly and he voted town, it was 8am EU and I was being sleepy at work then saw a discord ping from the two US scums for which it had to be way past midnight, being like "scumrush!". It remains my one and only scum victory to this day.

Also the scumteam was two literal first time scum, one of which was probably the sweetest maf player I've ever played with and retired shortly after (if you're reading this, hi!), the other was me, then Plastic who had played for like... six months? and played like a champ, then Grandi, who got handled the task to herd the two confused, nervous newbs and had the patience of a saint, all things said :cheeky:.

--

Random-rear end fact? I can't pay for anything in the forums - literally. The pay processor is at odd with local 2FA laws and banks will flag any attempts as fraud and I get angry bank calls, once managed to get a credit card substituted because it was flagged as unreedemably compromised while trying to get someone an av, lol. I got plat and archives by being one of the random people doing smilie codeword cataloguing work back when I was an absolute lurker with like 20 total forums posts. So if you search for a smilie and it fails to come back, it might be my fault!

EDIT: Oh, hi Yami, speak of the devil!

Shellception fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 25, 2023

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dear mafia, please pray for me during my root canal

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

Shellception posted:

Thread has taken a turn for the heartwarming, gotta say.

:unsmith:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

death cob for cutie posted:

dear mafia, please pray for me during my root canal

Lord Satan, please strike Cob down and make his head explode during his root canal amen

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

it was too wholesome for you, wasn't it

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Opopanax posted:

Lord Satan, please strike Cob down and make his head explode during his root canal amen

lord satan, please strike cob down and make his head explode before his root canal, so that they feel no pain during it amen

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Lmao

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hi I'm MMM (currently operating under the name Jump King, but I pretty much stopped using my account after the rename so I don't think anybody actually knows me as that)

I don't remember what my first game was, but I know Power Of Pecota was in it and I thought they were the absolute best

My favourite mafia moments are: Keane sending a box of bees to somebody's house for christmas, the picture of Mills's Fridge, the Eat poo poo Quidnose flame texts, somberbrero's game Snowbound, im sure there's a few others

One fun fact about me is that I am very sure that I was (at one point, maybe still am?) the person who had made the most money from playing mafia, when I represented SA in a video mafia league with prize money for two seasons.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

Jump King posted:

Hi I'm MMM (currently operating under the name Jump King, but I pretty much stopped using my account after the rename so I don't think anybody actually knows me as that)

I don't remember what my first game was, but I know Power Of Pecota was in it and I thought they were the absolute best

My favourite mafia moments are: Keane sending a box of bees to somebody's house for christmas, the picture of Mills's Fridge, the Eat poo poo Quidnose flame texts, somberbrero's game Snowbound, im sure there's a few others

One fun fact about me is that I am very sure that I was (at one point, maybe still am?) the person who had made the most money from playing mafia, when I represented SA in a video mafia league with prize money for two seasons.

Keane sent me and Deadcow bees.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

DGK2000 posted:

I sent you bees too!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

DGK2000 posted:

Grandicap posted:

I sent you bees too!

wow nobody told me mafia games had hidden perks

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Well, I guess if we're doing introductions I might as well throw my hat in here too.

I'm Neverhelm, I'm fairly new here. My first game was Yami's Gnosia 2, which was a little under a year ago now - I mostly lurk in the Games and LP subforums and found it randomly from a post in the Gnosia LP. However, I do regularly play social deduction games in-person as well (mostly Blood on the Clocktower, which is a Mafia/Werewolf variant). I enjoy them because I enjoy playing the detective on the town side, and because I'm usually too brutally honest to lie to people they give me a good chance to lie and cheat in a safe space on the scum side.

I've since played in like... 10? or so games on here and never been a non-town role even once. I tend towards hyperfixation so I usually end up playing lots of games in a row (even doubleplaying at times) when I'm not busy IRL and typically spend way too much time overthinking, trying to write long effortposts, then giving up on it when my logic inevitably falls apart.

My favourite SA Mafia moment was in Opop's Multiverse of Mafness. That game had a lot of cool moments (like Sub Rosa's crazy role bluff getting called by Keane) but my favourite was when my own role finally got "revealed" near the end. I basically got to send messages to someone every night begging people for money, but they couldn't be text and I couldn't talk about them in-thread to give any clues about them. So I did scam emails in pictogram form. It was hilarious seeing the other players react when they finally got posted in-thread, and for some reason people kept interpreting them as improvised political messaging.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

I'm Maerlyn, she/her. I started playing Mafia here in 2013, my first game was a CPig game called El Dorado, Battle in the Desert so I didn't even start off with something newbie friendly but I think I spectated a ton before I actually jumped in.

My favorite memory from that time was Breakfast Food Mafia - sitting in a restaurant half eating dinner, half frantically phone posting at Diqnol and Magres (masons) to vote scum instead of me (town doc) on EXLO. The "Maerlyn always sounds scummy" meta was present even back then 😛

I think the community being what it was at the time and my untreated anxiety not helping, I bailed until 2021. I'm not sure what drew me back - no one reached out, I just started observing again but I think I'm here for good or until SA dies a fiery death.

It's hard for me to choose favorites from the past few years because there are a lot of good moments...two I thought of first are as scum and falling for a Toal gambit (my admitting I had visited the NK target when Toal just flat out lied and didn't see anything, ObamaAkbar was a poisoner and we actually both visited the NK, I was just too honest) and another memory would be being 3P in X Files Mafia and Shell being a bounty hunter, using her one vig shot early and then finding out I was the person she needed to kill to abscond.

I'm dipping a toe in modding and enjoy co-modding; I am happy that Shell and I are responsible for converting some of the players from Video Game mafia to regular players because they are all creative as gently caress and fun to play with.

Something about me is I play a lot of board games on Board Game Arena, it's kinda a running joke for some because I keep trying to add to my gaming cabal (I don't work for them, just a fan).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

What? There's no way you've been here 10 years. Stop lying

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Opopanax posted:

9 years, 10 months

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Opopanax posted:

I played in maybe 7-8 games and then vanished.

We actually played in this game together apparently: https://votefinder.org/game/the-siege-of-g

Oh god 10 year anniversary in ... May???

Maerlyn fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 26, 2023

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I remember Maerlyn playing way back when for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Diqnol posted:

I remember Maerlyn playing way back when for sure

Yeah I liked to sass you then, it was pretty fun.

I don't really remember what drove me off other than just "I'm bad at this game and I can't handle it". I just found a PM from Zesty in 2015 looking for people to return - probably a mass messaging call for new blood? I can't imagine anyone was really like "that girl who played 7 games, GET HER BACK!"