Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Enos Cabell posted:

Threw a couple of butts on this morning. Really wish Costco had bone-in, but I was feeling too lazy to stop anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

2 hour update

Looks ok I guess? Lol

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Stop opening it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Stop opening it.

It’s the second time!

When should I open it again to put the probe in? I was thinking about the 4 hour mark.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Really no reason to take the probe out until you wrap it, if you're wrapping.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Really no reason to take the probe out until you wrap it, if you're wrapping.

Well I haven’t actually put the probe in yet but I probably should have done that when I started?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you're lookin you ain't cookin

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Yeah I’d go put it in now, and then don’t open it until you’re at wrapping temp.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Got it!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Hopefully, you're rendering some of the trimmings for your wrap. I like to use duck fat as well.

Oh never mind, you said you're using foil. Could still put some fat in the bottom if you wanted, though not sure how effective that would be.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Hopefully, you're rendering some of the trimmings for your wrap. I like to use duck fat as well.

Oh never mind, you said you're using foil. Could still put some fat in the bottom if you wanted, though not sure how effective that would be.

Yeah I hosed that up already because I tossed the trimmings. I got that for next time though

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Well I haven’t actually put the probe in yet but I probably should have done that when I started?

Yeah, meat goes on, probe goes in before the lid gets closed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kalman posted:

Got it for next time. It’s at 145 now at about 5 hours in.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You don't want to go crazy (or drive yourself crazy) looking when you're cooking, but it's mostly a myth that it has a significant impact on the cook.

https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/myth-if-youre-lookin-you-aint-cookin/

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 25, 2023

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Don’t believe this guy he’s in the pocket of Big Lookin.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Kalman posted:

There is an argument for delaying with the probe. A probe can be an entry point for bacteria. Only really an issue if you don't get out of the danger zone below 140 in four hours though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s at 161 right now and it’s probably not as dark as I’d like but I’ve turned the heat down to slow it a bit more. I’m gonna take it out and wrap it at 165 so maybe in about 30 min or so.

Then leave it in there till 185.

So far so good.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Why 185? You want to pull it when a temp probe can slide in and out like it's room-temp butter. This typically happens above 195, usually 203 or 204. It probably won't get much hotter once you wrap and cambro it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I used to put probes in at the very start of every cook. But after a few years I pretty much know roughly where my meat is at. I’ve mainly been sticking to an instant read probe and check temp whenever I spritz. Has worked fine so far for pork butts and brisket.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Why 185? You want to pull it when a temp probe can slide in and out like it's room-temp butter. This typically happens above 195, usually 203 or 204. It probably won't get much hotter once you wrap and cambro it.

I dunno lol everything I read said 185 was the spot to pull it off? Should I not even wrap it at 165?

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

MarcusSA posted:

I dunno lol everything I read said 185 was the spot to pull it off? Should I not even wrap it at 165?

Unless you need to eat it sooner, I wouldn’t touch it or even open the grill from the time I put it on until the time I pulled it. I pull between 203-210, depending on the probe feel and jiggle. I’m in the US central time zone, and if you haven’t wrapped by now, you are not having it for dinner tonight.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bob A Feet posted:

Unless you need to eat it sooner, I wouldn’t touch it or even open the grill from the time I put it on until the time I pulled it. I pull between 203-210, depending on the probe feel and jiggle. I’m in the US central time zone, and if you haven’t wrapped by now, you are not having it for dinner tonight.

When do you wrap it then?

Like temperature

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

MarcusSA posted:

You can wrap whenever you want, but most people prefer to do so once they see they're in the stall. Lots of people like to say 160 or so because that's typically when it happens, but I've seen stalls kick in as high as 190.

The tradeoff is that the bark won't be as crispy since you are trapping moisture, but you will hit your goal temp sooner.

Bear in mind that if you hit the goal temp and didn't get the desired tenderness, it cooked too fast. It really does take time for the connective tissue to break down.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Like temperature

160ish for the wrap, especially if you want to speed things up. Definitely don't pull it until 205.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

MarcusSA posted:

Like temperature

I don’t wrap it if I don’t have to. It’s a technique thing and is by no means required. I generally use it if I need to cut down my timeline— for example, if I’m smoking the same day of the meal. I like to smoke overnight to give myself plenty of buffer from the meat finishing to the meal time.

If I do wrap, I wrap once the bark is to my liking. That is generally somewhere during the stall, which can be anywhere from 160-180 def F. I know none of those words mean a lot, but it’s a feel thing. If you just pick a number anywhere in there, you won’t be wrong!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks a bunch everyone! I’ve wrapped it and it’s still going! I have definitely learned a lot so far so I’ll see how things have turned out in a few more hours.

Gonna throw the cream cheese on there now and get that smoking too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have two very judgmental people watching me do this whole thing.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks a bunch everyone! I’ve wrapped it and it’s still going! I have definitely learned a lot so far so I’ll see how things have turned out in a few more hours.

Gonna throw the cream cheese on there now and get that smoking too.

Ask 10 goons about brisket technique and you’ll get 15 opinions, but here is mine.

It’s still going to be delicious, but in the future, don’t wrap until the bark looks (almost) as dark as you want it to, especially on a pellet smoker.* Temp doesn’t matter, almost at all. Once you wrap it, no more bark development will happen, and if you haven’t gotten a proper set, the pepper will soften and fall off instead of staying a nice chewy/crunchy bark. ** You’ll just end up with a delicious smoky, wet brisket that looks more like it came out of a slow cooker instead of a smoker.

Pellet smokers tend to develop bark/color significantly slower for a few reasons, so on mine I give it way longer.

As for when it’s done, temperature also almost doesn’t matter. Connective tissue breakdown starts at like, sub 140f, it just happens faster at higher temperatures. Brisket doneness is a function of time/temp on a curve. A brisket is done when it’s done. I’ve had briskets be perfect at 195, and some not until 205. poke it with your probe. If you get almost no resistance, it’s ready, pull it. If you have to use any force to push the probe through, keep it going.

*if the trajectory of your unwrapped brisket is going way too slow and you neeeeeed to speed up, wrapping will get you to an edible product faster. ***

* A brisket’s bark will darken a few shades in color after the wrap and rest.

** The higher temp you get to before wrapping, the more water comes out of the meat. If you wrap early, before it’s given off most of its water, you’re going to trap a ton in there if using foil, and you’ll be braising, getting a soggy bark. Ideally you want the wrap to just encase your brisket in rendered fat and prevent evaporation of what water is there from keeping you in the stall.

*** Goddammmit, I planned on this being a short post.

You can get brisket that looks like this off a pellet smoker, it just takes longer prewrap.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Ask 10 goons about brisket technique and you’ll get 15 opinions, but here is mine.

It’s still going to be delicious, but in the future, don’t wrap until the bark looks (almost) as dark as you want it to, especially on a pellet smoker.* Temp doesn’t matter, almost at all. Once you wrap it, no more bark development will happen, and if you haven’t gotten a proper set, the pepper will soften and fall off instead of staying a nice chewy/crunchy bark. ** You’ll just end up with a delicious smoky, wet brisket that looks more like it came out of a slow cooker instead of a smoker.

Pellet smokers tend to develop bark/color significantly slower for a few reasons, so on mine I give it way longer.

As for when it’s done, temperature also almost doesn’t matter. Connective tissue breakdown starts at like, sub 140f, it just happens faster at higher temperatures. Brisket doneness is a function of time/temp on a curve. A brisket is done when it’s done. I’ve had briskets be perfect at 195, and some not until 205. poke it with your probe. If you get almost no resistance, it’s ready, pull it. If you have to use any force to push the probe through, keep it going.

*if the trajectory of your unwrapped brisket is going way too slow and you neeeeeed to speed up, wrapping will get you to an edible product faster. ***

* A brisket’s bark will darken a few shades in color after the wrap and rest.

** The higher temp you get to before wrapping, the more water comes out of the meat. If you wrap early, before it’s given off most of its water, you’re going to trap a ton in there if using foil, and you’ll be braising, getting a soggy bark. Ideally you want the wrap to just encase your brisket in rendered fat and prevent evaporation of what water is there from keeping you in the stall.

*** Goddammmit, I planned on this being a short post.

You can get brisket that looks like this off a pellet smoker, it just takes longer prewrap.

Thank you so much for this! I’m taking notes I swear for next time!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Thank you so much for this! I’m taking notes I swear for next time!

Sure thing! I fuckin’ love talking about BBQ. I loved my time as the head of smoked meats for a year and a half at a place doing 600-1000lbs of brisket per week, but the schedule and pay were not conducive to being married and wanting to have nice things, so I’m back in tech now. I’ll talk/text about smoking all day long.

Again, what you end up with today may not be particularly close to what you would get at a high profile Central Texas pit, but as long as you cook it until it’s tender, it’ll taste great. It’s salty, smoky, fatty beef. You’re going to like it, and there’s a whole world of uses for the leftovers to discover. Breakfast tacos, scrambled eggs, hash, fried rice, you name it.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Butts aren't quite there yet, getting close though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How are you putting the probed in after you wrap it?
Won't that put holes in the wrap?
Would unwrapping let the steam out and set it back?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Kaddish posted:

Oh I get that my opinion isn't the majority. Perfect brisket just isn't peak bbq to me. Beef plate ribs have that spot in my heart.

Hard agree on that one. Beef ribs are so loving good.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 26, 2023

Carillon
May 9, 2014

HootTheOwl posted:

How are you putting the probed in after you wrap it?
Won't that put holes in the wrap?
Would unwrapping let the steam out and set it back?

I've always just poked it back in after wrapping, the wrapping sticks pretty close so there's not a lot of space for steam to escape. Can't say I've seen a difference!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The brisket is coming off soon but so far the smoked cream cheese is hella good

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MarcusSA posted:

The brisket is coming off soon but so far the smoked cream cheese is hella good

I meant to ask about this.....
What is it? It looks amazing

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

I meant to ask about this.....
What is it? It looks amazing

Basically it’s just a block of cream cheese with a bit of olive oil drizzle and I used the seasoning from the brisket on top. Throw in the smoker for approx 2 hours and eat as a dip.

Supposedly it’s great cold too but it’s legit hot.

It’s super smoky.

It’s great with a ritz or tortilla chips.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MarcusSA posted:

Basically it’s just a block of cream cheese with a bit of olive oil drizzle and I used the seasoning from the brisket on top. Throw in the smoker for approx 2 hours and eat as a dip.

Supposedly it’s great cold too but it’s legit hot.

It’s super smoky.

It’s great with a ritz or tortilla chips.

I'm 100% going to try this soon.

I have a new control unit for my MB and I've been waiting for it to get warm to install it

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ugh I’m going back down this rabbit hole and need advice.

I’ve had an MES30. Didn’t like it because it was a pain in the rear end to clean and it had a few failures with overnight cooks. I got rid of it. I also hated opening the door and getting immersed in the smoke. The wood chip drawer was also pretty lame but the Amazn pellet smoker tube worked fine.

I then had a WSM 14” with a fire board and fan controller. Temps were fine but it was still a pain to clean but the smoker flavor was almost too much at times.

Enter my next try. I’m thinking pellet grill.

I’d like to spend under $1000 but given my track record, the cheaper the better for it.

For a pellet grill, easy cleanup is a plus, as is the ability to get crispy skin on chicken thighs.

Here’s one possibility:

Camp Chef SmokePro DLX Pellet Grill w/New PID Gen 2 Digital Controller - Black https://a.co/d/8iQcuS9

Any recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok so it’s not terrible!

So I think maybe it could use some sort of drizzle on it? The flavor is great! Overall I’m happy with this first attempt.