Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tales of Woe posted:

revenger was good, ended up being the highlight of the season for me

agreed

genericnick posted:

I liked it too, though the ending was a bit paint by numbers I feel. Lmao at Kaina though.

i don't totally disagree with this - revenger doesn't really aspire to be much more than something between a crime drama and a western or samurai movie - but i think the easy way out would have been raizo "redeeming" himself by sacrificing himself during the lighthouse raid. having him survive, continue to be depressed, then given resolution by being murdered in revenge is absolutely a little trite but it's not the most obvious/satisfying direction and fits both thematically and what they were going for genre-wise.

i was kind of worried it was going to be worse when the second to last episode ended with the big hokey team shot but i was satisfied with the ending.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

oh nice sugar apple is split cour, wasnt expecting more. so many 2-cour shows this year

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
We're going to be half way through this season before we get to finish the first cour of Nier. :(

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is the nier automata anime good? I guess there's kinda a few different questions I have about it

1. If I've already played the game, is the anime still a good watch? Am I going to spend a lot of time being bugged about them breezing past/leaving out something that was really cool in the game?

2. If I watch it with people who haven't played the game, is it a sufficient substitute or will it leave them confused about what's happening?

3. How do they handle the whole multiple playthroughs deal

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ninjewtsu posted:

Is the nier automata anime good? I guess there's kinda a few different questions I have about it

1. If I've already played the game, is the anime still a good watch? Am I going to spend a lot of time being bugged about them breezing past/leaving out something that was really cool in the game?

2. If I watch it with people who haven't played the game, is it a sufficient substitute or will it leave them confused about what's happening?

3. How do they handle the whole multiple playthroughs deal

I think it's a great watch. It is a different telling of the basic story (so far), and they are more-or-less combining Routes A and B. The story very much stands on its own and is quite faithful to the themes of the game, but is littered with so many easter eggs, people who've played the game (and especially those who have delved into the expanded material) will get a lot out of it.

The first episode is basically a one for one retelling of the prologue fight, but after that, it gives you some curveballs which will likely give you pause if you realize what some of them are insinuating. And each episode ends with a puppet show showcasing one of the joke endings for the game.

That said, they haven't come close to Route C, so we're still waiting for a bunch of other shoes to drop.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

That's great to hear, thanks!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Buddy Daddies
God, I really thought she was gonna survive the series and Miri would get to have four parents.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Xelkelvos posted:

Buddy Daddies
God, I really thought she was gonna survive the series and Miri would get to have four parents.

this show has taught me that anyone can be a buddy daddy if they believe in themselves. maybe there's a 4th buddy daddy for miri just around the corner.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i'm satisfied with how the depressing times buddy daddies arc ended up. i think there was just enough melodrama to make papa rei's big character moment at the end of the last episode shine, but it was also short enough to keep the heart of the show intact (dumb guys + little kid = funny). looks like we're going to get some cute structural symmetry with bookended christmas parties, all the main characters are probably going to make it out alive, and i think it's going to be my anime of the season as long as it doesn't implode next episode.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

i'm satisfied with how the depressing times buddy daddies arc ended up. i think there was just enough melodrama to make papa rei's big character moment at the end of the last episode shine, but it was also short enough to keep the heart of the show intact (dumb guys + little kid = funny). looks like we're going to get some cute structural symmetry with bookended christmas parties, all the main characters are probably going to make it out alive, and i think it's going to be my anime of the season as long as it doesn't implode next episode.

i'm expecting what you described but i also think this show is capable of a swerve and a sad ending and i'm not entirely convinced the end of season drama is fully wrapped up yet. rei's dad is still going to try to handle poo poo and they've been hinting that miri will find out about kazuki and rei being hitmen and some level of responsible for the death of her parents for the entire show.

i also thought the way that miri's mother died and how they handled the assassin was a little contrived, but if the goal was to get back to dad+miri hijinks for the end it's a way to accomplish that.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

i'm expecting what you described but i also think this show is capable of a swerve and a sad ending and i'm not entirely convinced the end of season drama is fully wrapped up yet. rei's dad is still going to try to handle poo poo and they've been hinting that miri will find out about kazuki and rei being hitmen and some level of responsible for the death of her parents for the entire show.

i also thought the way that miri's mother died and how they handled the assassin was a little contrived, but if the goal was to get back to dad+miri hijinks for the end it's a way to accomplish that.

there's definitely a few big emotional beats to resolve, i just don't think there's a chance it ends with like papas rei and kazuki bleeding out to fatal knife wounds after they defeat the evil assassin syndicate intercut with miri singing silent night and crying or something. guess it'll just hurt even more when it happens.

a lot of the miri mom stuff was hokey and dumb, but my satisfaction is mostly because it didn't end up ruining the entire show for me. although i did like rei's big scene quite a bit like i mentioned before

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

there's definitely a few big emotional beats to resolve, i just don't think there's a chance it ends with like papas rei and kazuki bleeding out to fatal knife wounds after they defeat the evil assassin syndicate intercut with miri singing silent night and crying or something. guess it'll just hurt even more when it happens.

a lot of the miri mom stuff was hokey and dumb, but my satisfaction is mostly because it didn't end up ruining the entire show for me. although i did like rei's big scene quite a bit like i mentioned before

yeah

i think the thing with buddy daddies is i'm a lot more inclined to enjoy assassin melodrama than found family comedy in a vacuum, but they did a much better job writing the comedy than the drama. not really sure what direction i want them to go with the ending.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I guess it only took half an episode for the buddies to go back to being daddies.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Not out of choice sadly.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
New Re:Zero season PV:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IQM5EPf2Y0

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I guess the real daddies were the buddies we made along the way.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rei was even still wearing his murder hair during his big personal growth moment. He has reconciled his two lifestyles

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2 starting July 6th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIbiHE1du6g

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

GateOfD posted:

almost end of the season.
what ended up being the best animated show this season?
If we count it since it ran the last two seasons, I think my vote would go to Eminence in Shadow out of everything I watched. The animation technicals may have just been mostly solid to good, but the visual storyboarding for some of the stuff was great. Especially including the apparently anime original fight at the end of the second cour which happened during this season. It's on my list of most memorable anime fights ever now since it did a few experimental visual storytelling things I hadn't seen done before, plus a bunch of cool art stylings on top.

I definitely recommend Eminence in Shadow if you're even the slightest bit an isekai enjoyer. The best quality isekai trash I have ever seen.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 27, 2023

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Onimai is the clear winner for best animation this season.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'll take your word for it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Feels like it's been so long since the last season.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

GateOfD posted:

almost end of the season.
what ended up being the best animated show this season?

it got delayed and i guess it would count as a spring season show now but kubo-san had really good animation

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nitrousoxide posted:

Onimai is the clear winner for best animation this season.
How was that the show that got the animation care?

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Mushoku Tensei studio

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
that is an interesting color palette there for Onimai

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
The Animation Care

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

BlitznBurst posted:

Mushoku Tensei studio
Fine Purveyors of <Gestures Wildly>

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Trigun Stampede is getting a second season at some point. No further verifiable information as to the name, date, or number of episodes.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What's the isekai with the longest name? I want to watch that.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"Backstabbed in a Backwater Dungeon: My Party Tried to Kill Me, But Thanks to an Infinite Gacha I Got LVL 9999 Friends and Am Out For Revenge"

There's, unsurprisingly, a Reddit thread that compiles some of the longer series names.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

"Backstabbed in a Backwater Dungeon: My Party Tried to Kill Me, But Thanks to an Infinite Gacha I Got LVL 9999 Friends and Am Out For Revenge"

There's, unsurprisingly, a Reddit thread that compiles some of the longer series names.

Ironically, that sounds like the sort of story that could be finished very quickly.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the synopsis for onimai reads like it'd get me in jail

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Building the list of people who can’t help but admit that they watched onimai

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Just incapable of not admitting it

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Namtab posted:

Building the list of people who can’t help but admit that they watched onimai

i hope more people admit it so we can make fun of them and maybe get a proper meltdown out of it

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

im dissapointed we havent had anyone admit to watching that dog show

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dare I even ask?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Megamissen posted:

im dissapointed we havent had anyone admit to watching that dog show

But a lot of people are playing Resi 4 this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

Dare I even ask?

there's a horny show this season where a guy gets turned into a dog

i have not seen it