Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Help me, Early FPS goons! I've posted about this ITT before, might've been answered, but I have almost a decade's worth of posts here, so I can't find it.

Around 96-97, I went to a kiosk at my local mall that had a PC demo-in Duke Nukem 3D... except it also used a primitive VR helmet, and a controller that was like a small black disc you held in your right hand, and I think you could tilt it forward and back to walk in the corresponding direction.

I've never seen it before or since, and I can't find any mention of it anywhere. Anyone know what I'm on about?

Edit: come to think of it, this was actually my first direct experience with DN3D; a few months later, my friend and I went over to his friend's house, and he was playing Duke. I remember saying "oh, I played this already but with a virtual reality helmet on, or something" and they had no loving idea what I was talking about.
Sounds like a Forte VFX1. Here's a Youtube video I found of a German guy specifically showing Duke with it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzJ-P2lcKaY&t=337s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I played the same thing at the Ohio State Fair in maybe 1999, it was some random thing where the carnival games were where you could do VR death match with other players. I remember it mostly feeling like having a 2D screen plastered right on my face. Don't remember any other details though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Finished all Duke content except those expansion packs and frankly Im probably ok with that. Game needs twice as much dev commentary though, at minimum.

I dont want to rank the build engine games because compared to Doom they're just all hosed up and wrong mechanically in different ways. Witchaven 2 included, obviously.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
could you list the ways in which they're each weird? i'm interested in your thoughts as someone who has just experienced all of them.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

The Kins posted:

Sounds like a Forte VFX1. Here's a Youtube video I found of a German guy specifically showing Duke with it.

260x230 per eye, god drat. I admire the ambition behind all these 90s VR headsets but I can't imagine how terrible of an experience they must've been. Same with those VR flight sims that were about as graphically advanced as Star Fox on the snes, while running under 10 fps. The tech was nowhere near ready back then

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Barudak posted:

I think its basically this, I can't think of a single multiplayer FPS where I felt like it was improved with snipers

My dream game is Battlefield but without sniper scopes

I think devs put them in because they get death threats if they don't

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

HolyKrap posted:

260x230 per eye, god drat. I admire the ambition behind all these 90s VR headsets but I can't imagine how terrible of an experience they must've been. Same with those VR flight sims that were about as graphically advanced as Star Fox on the snes, while running under 10 fps. The tech was nowhere near ready back then

There was a really fun app back in the oculus DK2 days that put you in a nice looking little scene, but then when you pressed space bar it would flip between modern (at that time) VR looks, and an emulated VFX1, where the resolution went to poo poo, the FOV to a postage stamp, the latency and framerate to crap, and the environment to really basic 3d.

It was fascinating to just flip back and forth and and really soak in how absolutely unready the 90's were for the tech.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Off the cuff thoughts

Blood - The single most dangerous foe in the game is basic ranged enemy. The hardest levels in the game are the first 3 because the game in general does not seem to properly evaluate your weaponry and the enemies. The game has a passion with reusing bosses in levels as just enemy encounters. Enemy health pools are surprisingly bloated on certain foes and the armor system is incredibly convoluted for no in game benefit.

Shadow Warrior - Has the least urban environment levels as a % of maps and the various caves and mountains just aren't that interesting. What really shines badly is it has absolutely terrible level flow, worse than Witchaveb 2 because in Witchaven 2 I could cast a spell to fix the level design. Has reloading problems plaguing what should be your main weapons, which is offset by explosive weaponry being plentiful and most enemies being completely helpless in the face of circle strafing. This lack of friction and short length made it probably my favorite overall which is absurdly insulting to all these games.

Duke - Your arsenal is overstuffed with gimmick weapons none of which are particularly satisfying to use. The shrinker gets special mention here because it and the enemy unit Mini-Battle Lord or whatever they are called are so clearly paired together it lowers the quality of some levels. This is the only build game to decide it would like to be another genre for one episode, Lunar Mayhem, and unsurprisingly its all chaff. The sentry drones are so hideously awful, just one of the worst suicide rusher enemy Ive seen in an FPS. They are so bad they are worse than Shadow Warriors suicide enemy who can take absurd punishment and when it dies spawn a new ranged projectile attacker.

Witchaven 2 - They hosed up the render distance/visibility and you be staring into a black void at all times. The lack of visible distance makes navigating levels a chore as you fumble around in samey corridors. Level triggers to progress are obfuscated and insane that there were multiple levels I just used the games "open door" spell to bypass whatever I was stuck on, sometimes because it is genuinely possible to soft lock yourself in rooms. Combat is absurdly dangerous until you have the ranged weapons, because enemies have no tells in a game based around melee combat.They decided to make levels 12 and 13 of a 15 level game hard by just not putting healing potions into those levels. Weapons have durability you can't see and you can't replace a weapon until its sufficiently broken. Not just random damage values, random enemy health values.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

The Kins posted:

OP’s question about this reminded me of my experience with what might(?) have been the same hardware, only it was using Heretic to demonstrate it at a Fry’s Electronics in the SF Bay Area.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Thank you so much!

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
My brother and I spent 5 bucks each to put those on at Six Flags St. Louis in 2000 (I think). We got to play SiN multi-player for 5 minutes. It was real bad.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I can't tell if that or playing Dactyl Nightmare at something like 13fps was worse.

It was true 3D, but at what cost?!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I don't remember how much it cost but it was definitely for 10 minutes tops. Even as a kid* it was too disorienting to be fun.

* I say that on account of having played tons of N64/PS1 games at the time that are absolutely unplayable now, but I managed to have a blast with them back then.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I briefly played Descent with a 90s VR headset (don’t remember which) and a SpaceOrb. Pretty sweet, at least in the five minute stretches between needing to rest my eyes.

This was in the early 2000s though, a friend in college got a head start on retro tech

manero
Jan 30, 2006

I too paid way too much money in the early 90's to play Dactyl Nightmare at a state fair.

I was sorely disappointed I couldn't commit suicide by shooting myself in the head when I saw the Pterodactyl coming for me.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Add me to the list of people who used a VFX1 to play Duke at a fair (or amusement park). I haven't thought about that in forever, drat

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wow, I'm legitimately amazed at how many of us there are. That memory has lived tucked far away in my mind, because I never, EVER hear of the thing, or about anyone using the thing, since.

Until now.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

At the state fair as a kid they had a vfx1 playing quake, but the line was too long so i never got to try it and regretted it for years. I bought into the old oculus DK's specifically because of that memory of feeling cheated at never getting to try VR, lol.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Last week I discovered that my local arcade ripped out their huge DDR set-up with a dull Beatsaber set up :(

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I bought Daikatana because it was 78 cents on green man gaming so I guess I'm gonna play that soonish for some reason.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

It will be impossible to recreate the pure flabbergastery of loading up the very first Daikatana demo the day it was released, before the game proper came out, sight-unseen, and seeing that the first level of Romero's hyped and delayed magnum opus takes place in a puke green swamp with robot bugs and robot frogs in it.

But in 2023, for less than a buck, it's still worth taking it for a go just to gawk at.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Mr E posted:

I bought Daikatana because it was 78 cents on green man gaming so I guess I'm gonna play that soonish for some reason.

you overpaid

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Barudak posted:

Off the cuff thoughts

Blood - The single most dangerous foe in the game is basic ranged enemy. The hardest levels in the game are the first 3 because the game in general does not seem to properly evaluate your weaponry and the enemies. The game has a passion with reusing bosses in levels as just enemy encounters. Enemy health pools are surprisingly bloated on certain foes and the armor system is incredibly convoluted for no in game benefit.

Shadow Warrior - Has the least urban environment levels as a % of maps and the various caves and mountains just aren't that interesting. What really shines badly is it has absolutely terrible level flow, worse than Witchaveb 2 because in Witchaven 2 I could cast a spell to fix the level design. Has reloading problems plaguing what should be your main weapons, which is offset by explosive weaponry being plentiful and most enemies being completely helpless in the face of circle strafing. This lack of friction and short length made it probably my favorite overall which is absurdly insulting to all these games.

Duke - Your arsenal is overstuffed with gimmick weapons none of which are particularly satisfying to use. The shrinker gets special mention here because it and the enemy unit Mini-Battle Lord or whatever they are called are so clearly paired together it lowers the quality of some levels. This is the only build game to decide it would like to be another genre for one episode, Lunar Mayhem, and unsurprisingly its all chaff. The sentry drones are so hideously awful, just one of the worst suicide rusher enemy Ive seen in an FPS. They are so bad they are worse than Shadow Warriors suicide enemy who can take absurd punishment and when it dies spawn a new ranged projectile attacker.

Witchaven 2 - They hosed up the render distance/visibility and you be staring into a black void at all times. The lack of visible distance makes navigating levels a chore as you fumble around in samey corridors. Level triggers to progress are obfuscated and insane that there were multiple levels I just used the games "open door" spell to bypass whatever I was stuck on, sometimes because it is genuinely possible to soft lock yourself in rooms. Combat is absurdly dangerous until you have the ranged weapons, because enemies have no tells in a game based around melee combat.They decided to make levels 12 and 13 of a 15 level game hard by just not putting healing potions into those levels. Weapons have durability you can't see and you can't replace a weapon until its sufficiently broken. Not just random damage values, random enemy health values.

What about tekwar?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Duke had good weapons

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Narcissus1916 posted:

Last week I discovered that my local arcade ripped out their huge DDR set-up with a dull Beatsaber set up :(

I had no idea they made a beatsaber arcade game, i'm curious how the hell that works in an arcade setting, with such delicate hardware.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Baron von Eevl posted:

What about tekwar?

Dude, you can’t casually stop a bomb like that on Barudak, he’s barely holding on as it is

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.
I don't know... He said he found something to enjoy about witchaven 2. I think he let go a long time ago.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BattleMaster posted:

It will be impossible to recreate the pure flabbergastery of loading up the very first Daikatana demo the day it was released, before the game proper came out, sight-unseen, and seeing that the first level of Romero's hyped and delayed magnum opus takes place in a puke green swamp with robot bugs and robot frogs in it.

But in 2023, for less than a buck, it's still worth taking it for a go just to gawk at.

The SOUND of it too. That whole demo is just a huge mess that in no way justifies how many times it was delayed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Friends don't let friends play Daikatana, but if you've already thrown down the buck and are committed, then make sure to grab the v1.3 Fan Patch, which fixes myriad bugs and modern system incompatibilities and makes some of the more infamously terrible design decisions (like mortal sidekicks that insta-game over when they die) togglable.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Witchaven 2 has some neat stuff and one (1) good level. It has some interesting ideas with the spells, even if Im pretty sure some of them of them dont actually work, and the fact it auto uses health potions on death to save you/you can bank health potions for later puts its health system above its contemporaries for me. Theres only two hitscanner enemies in the game and they are very rare. The magic power up for your weapons both make a lot of the weapons actually useable, they also don't drain when the weapons arent used nor do they drain their durability to cast so you can enjoy the enchantments when you have it and when you need it. You can dual wield or use a shield with some weapons.

Not intentional but nice is that the removed deleveling because they messed up the code.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I couldn't ever get anywhere in Daikatana. I tried to care enough to watch an LP of it from maybe Retsupurae (or someone similarly goony) and I just couldn't do it.

Related, are there any good books/deep dive articles/documentaries about Ion Storm? It seems still like such a fascinating case study in game dev, given the range of hype-to-quality in their small catalogue.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

shoeberto posted:

I couldn't ever get anywhere in Daikatana. I tried to care enough to watch an LP of it from maybe Retsupurae (or someone similarly goony) and I just couldn't do it.

I'd recommend Civvie's video on it. It's an hour long, has a bit of preamble on how Ion Storm came to be and how long it took to get Daikatana out and then largely whizzes through the key parts of the game without being an exhaustive let's play.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Witchaven always seemed so cool to me as a kid with all that chunky detailed sprite work, it's just really too drat bad those guys couldn't actually design a game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its the draw distance/visibility. If you could see where the hell you were going much less across a room the game would be a solid 6/10.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fil5000 posted:

I'd recommend Civvie's video on it. It's an hour long, has a bit of preamble on how Ion Storm came to be and how long it took to get Daikatana out and then largely whizzes through the key parts of the game without being an exhaustive let's play.

These are his best vids I feel. Good games just aren't as fun to talk about

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

finally sat down and read masters of doom and i can't recommend it enough. john carmack is a programming prodigy but god he sounds insufferable to work with

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
id stopped making good games when romero left until doom 16

and quake 3 is just quake multiplayer with more graphics so it doesn't count

BoosterDuck fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 26, 2023

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Its problems are myriad, but I still think Daikatana was genuinely ahead of its time and a remake would slap.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 26, 2023

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

BoosterDuck posted:

id stopped making good games when romero left until doom 16

and quake 3 is just quake multiplayer with more graphics so it doesn't count

Doom 3 is cool and good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

John Murdoch posted:

Its problems are myriad, but I still think Daikatana was genuinely ahead of its time and a remake would slap.

Who even owns the IP now?

It would be wild to get a Wolf:TNO/Doom 16/Shadow Warrior style modern interpretation. Probs won't ever happen.