Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Come to think of it the CGI Godzilla trilogy series had terrible cheap animation on the faces as well but seemed to be marginally better than this poo poo. Godzilla: Singular Point had a lot of CGI but they went to the effort of making it look like 2D cel animation and the humans were animated the old fashioned way and looked so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is not what I like to see.

I feel like they figured out how to do low budget anime well decades ago, it's a visual language people like. Lots of pans, not moving as much etc, they use great art direction to make a low budget 2D/hand-drawn anime look great. I would adore a low budget 2D Gamera anime.

Also, I feel like netflix being involved in everything is probably not great either, they just don't have the best track record artistically speaking. Something is going awry in anime trends, and Gamera is taking the fall for it folks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's not a matter of technique or monetary budget it's a matter of time allocation. So much anime is getting pumped out right now that I wouldn't be surprised that the gamera show was a rush job where the low budget only exacerbated corner cutting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Starting a rewatch of Singular Point and like a minute or two in just noticed a Hedorah cameo in a mural, will definitely have to keep my eyes open for any other little cameos of that nature I likely missed the first time around

Also in retrospect it's pretty obvious Singular Point is basically a more serial Godzilla themed version of Ultra Q, which is only appropriate considering Ultra Q's own connections to Godzilla

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Finished my rewatch of Singular Point and man that was some good stuff, really hope we get a second season someday the Mecha-Godzilla teaser at the end of episode 13 would be kind of cruel otherwise

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

Finished my rewatch of Singular Point and man that was some good stuff, really hope we get a second season someday the Mecha-Godzilla teaser at the end of episode 13 would be kind of cruel otherwise

:agreed:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
:(

https://twitter.com/Danzilla93_GNP/status/1641469979903008771

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

drat, RIP.

Those beams are a huge part of what got me into all this crazy poo poo. Legend.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Schwarzwald posted:

I recently watched Shin Kamen Rider and Zeiram (both '92) after remembering Hakaider and wanting more in that style.

Following up on this, and as sorta-prep for upcoming Shin Kamen Rider, I watched the other two 90s Kamen Rider films.

Here's a quick write up of '93s ZO:

This is Terminator 2 in a third of the run time, produced with a percentage of the budget, and with a guy in a suit instead of Arnold. Surprisingly, it rules..?

Loving father/evil scientist Dr. Mochizuki is researching the creation of a perfect life form, unbounded by morality or whatever else. (A decent enough hobby.) After deciding against pointless creating evil monsters, he's imprisoned by the nearly finished but then discarded Doras. Doras plots to kidnap his son as leverage to coerce the doctor into completing it. Trapped within a Giger-techno-flesh prison, the doctor issues a telepathic plea to an earlier experiment of his that had escaped -- the mostly human Kamen Rider ZO -- to protect his son.

The film's suit game is on point, and most of the action is quite good, including a few commendable fights between the suit actor and a stop motion creature. There is goop and there is vinyl and it's all pleasantly gross.

It's also kind of lowkey horny for the male body in a manner I wasn't quite expecting. There's more than a little shirtless male bondage, and ZO bonding with the son of the man who experimented on him kinda sorta has some "awkwardly introducing yourself as dad's gay partner" vibes, even if that's not quite what's going on.

Less positively, there's some cruft. We spend a lot of time being introduced to the son's family and friends, including his eccentric inventor uncle and some teenage karateka, but while they take up some screentime they pretty much don't matter. This isn't necessarily a problem, but its weird we get that instead of any insight into the Dr. Mochizuki's changing motivations. If Shin ('92) was 45 minutes of film painfully stretched twice this time, then ZO is a 26 episode series cropped to the bare essentials.

In this case, that made for a tremendously better film. Kamen Rider ZO is a very enjoyable way to kill 50 minutes, even if it isn't quite the fully package. (That would be '95s Hakaider.)

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 12, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I can never remember if Kamen Rider J or Kamen Rider Zo is the early 90s short movie I saw back in the day. Probably Zo. I should watch both to make sure.

Rewatched the 90s G vs Mothra and 90s Mechagodzilla with friends who hadn't seen 'em. Good stuff! Hadn't seen those in a long time. I love the vibe of that era, some of my fav Godzilla flicks. That psychic gal in all of them is cool. Gotta have psychics.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
'94 J is a very different beast from ZO.

Where ZO was set in a contemporary Japanese city, J is set in the isolated wilderness of the mountains as its encroached upon by modern development. It's all spiritual and very Ferngully.

The Fog, migratory aliens who last visited the planet 66 million years ago when they ravenously wiped out the dinosaurs, have returned. They're about to hatch a new brood which will wipe out human life, however to do so they must first sacrifice a human. To that purpose they find two people camping in the mountains, Kana and Kouji. They kidnap Kana, while Kouji gets tossed over a cliff.

Kouji is saved by spirits of the Earth, who grant him the J Power with which he can transform into Kamen Rider J. He goes off to stop the Fog and save Kana, accompanied by awful puppet grasshopper, Barry.

J travels from unspoiled wilderness into more developed and polluted terrain, fighting each enemy minion in turn, as he journeys to Dracula's castle the Fog Mother. There are some fantastic suits, decent choreography, and the goop is here. It all culminates with Dracula's castle the Fog Mother transforming into a giant monster, whereupon J turns giant himself, leaps into space, and does a diving kick from the stratosphere. It's not a chaos dunk but its close.

Less pleasantly, the film's treatment of Kana is weird. For the first half I presumed she was Kouji's younger sister, but then its revealed that she's just some wandering child he happened to meet while camping? And who has since joined him at his camp? And while the film doesn't makes this explicit, her sacrifice to the Fog is presented more than a little sexually. I think she's also meant to represent Mother Earth?

It's not great!

Even beyond all that, I didn't think it quite measured up to ZO. It's probably the best produced of the three '90s Kamen Rider films (and the best paced) but the setting is so removed and the villains are so disconnected that it's hard to care about the conflict. It's all immaterial.

ZO, for comparison, has Dr. Mochizuki build an evil science base in a processing plant in the middle of a open-pit mine, and has Doras built itself a robot body out of metal detritus in a junkyard. In J, the movie about the despoiling of nature, it all amounts to some images of wilderness while sad music plays and vague sexual danger against a preteen.

Still a better watch than Shin '92. Like, considerably so.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 12, 2023

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Good to know. Kamen Rider is cool, I enjoyed the few Black eps I've seen. OOO and 555 are a couple I finished, fine stuff. I really like Kamen Rider: The First too, bit underrated as it's own thing. Shin Kamen Rider should be fun.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
PSA that this little curio will apparently be out later this year, courtesy of an actual academic press (instead of dodgy self-published stuff):

https://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Raids-Again-Shigeru-Kayama/dp/1517915236/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

For those who aren't aware, Toho commissioned novels/novelizations based on the script of the first movie back in 1954. There are several differences between the novel and what actually ended up on screen. Until today I hadn't realized they did the same with Raids Again as well. Should be cool!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

F O L K S

https://twitter.com/godzillavskong/status/1648718182943801344?s=42&t=n9XOB__FsjfMKZEtrZQ1YA

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

finally, the kaiju rom-com the fans have been clamoring for

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s… a gigantic orangutan?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Kong’s sexy wife is here to cause trouble.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I just watched G2014 again, probably for the 15th time, and man they did such a fantastic job of getting across the sheer size of these creatures.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

MrMojok posted:

It’s… a gigantic orangutan?

Its lanky kong

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

King Louie's Revenge

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
My guess is Son Of Kong

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Not gonna complain about a new Godzilla production. But I am gonna complain about a new Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire production. Only a bit though.

If Kong gets the win back in a Wrestlemania-esque fashion, I am gonna flip a table.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Godzilla and Kong run a tag team match on the new ape, they find a convenient giant table to smash it through

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

MrMojok posted:

I just watched G2014 again, probably for the 15th time, and man they did such a fantastic job of getting across the sheer size of these creatures.

I want to add in, G's atomic breath in that one is so loving cool and superior to where they ended up in the following movies. It looked organic and somehow believable, at least as believable as such a thing can look. We went from a gaseous flame to a giant, generic laser beam.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
The villain being an original character do not steal monkey is kind of disappointing but it's obviously early and we know what happened with Mecha G.

Maybe the focus is on Kong here while the TV show is Godzilla?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Beginning my online campaign for them to add ANGUIRUS to this one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I will also accept Baragon

https://twitter.com/sejulnerve/status/1612004137578942466?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Baragon is the best boy

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Ah c'mon, guys. We all complained that they didn't do the obvious and disguise Mechagodzilla as Godzilla. Now we have a new monkey with ominous glowing eyes, a literal usurper to King Kong's throne, in a world where we've established mecha can now be produced.

It's gonna be Mechani-Kong.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Bee posted:

Ah c'mon, guys. We all complained that they didn't do the obvious and disguise Mechagodzilla as Godzilla. Now we have a new monkey with ominous glowing eyes, a literal usurper to King Kong's throne, in a world where we've established mecha can now be produced.

What if... he's one of those Simians/blackhole aliens from the 70s Mechagodzilla??

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The Bee posted:

Oh god please bring back the amazing Donkey Kong looking mecha from King Kong Escapes

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Pretty sure all the pieces of Digital Donkey Kong are still at the foot of the scale model Tokyo Tower somewhere in a Toho backlot

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I made my Godzilla(+related kaiju) Ranking List on LB

https://letterboxd.com/smayta/list/godzilla-ranked/

I like pretty much all of these movies, though I don't really gel well with the overtly kiddie stuff like Rebirth of Mothra 2 or Godzilla's Revenge. I'd do Gamera but most of the movies I only ever saw once and blend together.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You have to wear a plug suit to pilot the Baragon.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mantis42 posted:

I'd do Gamera but most of the movies I only ever saw once and blend together.

I did a rewatch of the 90s Gamera trilogy just last week and goddamn but Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris was bad. Also that cliffhanger ending was total bullshit. :argh:

The 2006 re-reboot Gamera the Brave was fine except the new Gamera suit had a goofy rounded nose that made it look super cartoony. The part right at the end where all the kids in the city banded together to protect their good buddy Gamera was really sweet though. :3:

I don't have high expectations for the upcoming Netflix animated series.

Gripweed posted:

You have to wear a plug suit to pilot the Baragon.

Here's the 6 minute behind-the-scenes segment which those other clips came from, the getup she has to wear inside the costume really does look like a plugsuit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rISRifRAKyI

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 25, 2023

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I did a rewatch of the 90s Gamera trilogy just last week and goddamn but Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris was bad. Also that cliffhanger ending was total bullshit. :argh:

:chloe:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Trailer for the upcoming Legendary cartoon series Skull Island

quote:

The series will follow the adventures of shipwrecked characters that are trying to escape from the mysterious dangerous titular island home to prehistoric monsters, including the titan, Mr. Kong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucAwtT--XaM

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
He did not go through twelve years of an Advanced Monarchy for Monsters educational program to be called Mr. Kong.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nikumatic posted:

He did not go through twelve years of an Advanced Monarchy for Monsters educational program to be called Mr. Kong.

"Please, Mr. Kong is my cousin who enjoys the country life. Or maybe the one that throws barrels at jumping men. We haven't talked in years."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Note that I copy/pasted that from the official IMDB page :v: