Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

mobby_6kl posted:

Big Z says we can't start the offensive because there aren't enough weapons: https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2023/03/25/7395056/

Which I guess we'll see. Could be bullshit to throw russia off, or maybe bullshit to encourage some urgency, or maybe true.

They gonna do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
New calls.

"We can't even take Bakhmut, no, ackshually, we were holding back"

and

"No pay, your dad isn't listed as being in combat"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1KcOJ2q9KQ

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I wonder if the Ukrainians knew something everybody else didn't regarding holding Bakhmut? It would make sense for them to commit more troops over the last month or two if they were confident that the Russians were running out of steam.

How much lower can Russian morale plunge if they lose at Bakhmut?

Edit: Oh look, more nuclear posturing! Putin is going to station nukes in Belarus, taking a page straight out of the Cold War playbook.

quote:

March 25 (Reuters) - Russia will station tactical nuclear weapons in neighbouring Belarus, President Vladimir Putin said on Saturday, marking the first time since the mid-1990s that Moscow will have based such arms outside the country.

Putin made the announcement at a time of growing tensions with the West over the Ukraine war and as some Russian commentators speculate about possible nuclear strikes.

Putin told state television that Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko had long raised the issue of stationing tactical nuclear weapons in his country, which borders NATO member Poland.

"There is nothing unusual here either: firstly, the United States has been doing this for decades. They have long deployed their tactical nuclear weapons on the territory of their allied countries," he said.

"We agreed that we will do the same - without violating our obligations, I emphasize, without violating our international obligations on the nonproliferation of nuclear weapons."

Putin did not specify when the weapons would be transferred to Belarus. "Tactical" nuclear weapons refer to those used for specific gains in the battlefield.

Russia will have completed the construction of a storage facility for tactical nuclear weapons in Belarus by July 1, Putin said, adding that Moscow would not actually be transferring control of the arms to Minsk.

The U.S. State Department and the Pentagon did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

Russia has stationed 10 aircraft in Belarus capable of carrying tactical nuclear weapons, he said, adding that Moscow had already transferred to Belarus a number of Iskander tactical missile systems that can be used to launch nuclear weapons.

When the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991, nuclear weapons were deployed in the four newly-independent states of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan.

In May 1992, the four states agreed all the weapons should be based in Russia and the transfer of warheads from Ukraine, Belarus and Kazakhstan was completed in 1996.

Sashimi fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 25, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Sashimi posted:

I wonder if the Ukrainians knew something everybody else didn't regarding holding Bakhmut? It would make sense for them to commit more troops over the last month or two if they were confident that the Russians were running out of steam.

How much lower can Russian morale plunge if they lose at Bakhmut?

Edit: Oh look, more nuclear posturing! Putin is going to station nukes in Belarus, taking a page straight out of the Cold War playbook.

MUH NOOKS

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Belarus should send them back.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I wonder if they will be able to find them? Nobody has been allowed to see them for a few years. Motherfucking aurora borealis nukes, localized entirely within their silos lol

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I hope Russia parks some nukes in Belarus and then Belarus steals or confiscates them while telling Russia to go pound sand

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
Well when this Russian imperial adventure collapses it will be awkward to have another nuclear power in Europe.

On the other hand, the success of the Budapest Memorandum means that Belorussia will be happy to help the nonproliferation cause by returning them. In exchange for security guarantees.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah yeah yeah you'll be safe. You'll get a shitton of tanks.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1639609918469689346
Yellow Ribbon continues being awesome at what they do

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Arc Light posted:

In theory, training soldiers in hand to hand combat is as much to maintain general physical fitness as anything else, along with instilling a warrior mentality.

In practice, you're absolutely right. Years ago, in Afghanistan, I worked for one of the knife fighting instructors for the US Army's 3rd Special Forces Group. We had plenty of time to kill at work, so he taught me a bit. But the best advice he ever gave me was to forget about any fancy techniques if things have gone so far wrong in a war that you're engaged hand to hand, and just stab and slash the hell out of the other guy's vitals, or better yet, knock his rear end down and then beat him to death with a rock.

I read Lt Col Fairburns book on hand to hand fighting for SOE and OSS agents, and just about every technique on how to kill/maim/disable a man involved the words "strike firmly to the testicles".

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1639625981282377729

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Russians keeping edging around Bakhmut

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Burt posted:

I read Lt Col Fairburns book on hand to hand fighting for SOE and OSS agents, and just about every technique on how to kill/maim/disable a man involved the words "strike firmly to the testicles".

CHINJAB

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Burt posted:

Is one of the movies the move Brock pulled on one of Baron Ünderbheit's henchmen where he grabbed him by the balls then told the dude he felt a lump so the henchman answered all his questions because he just didn't care about henching anymore?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Big Z is a good rear end name.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Big Z is a good rear end name.

And funny in at least a couple of ways :-)

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Burt posted:

With ball hurt there's that few seconds before it really kicks in and that's when a man is at his most dangerous, like a wounded bear. Yeah you might win in the end but you're gonna get mauled something fierce like that dicaprio fellow in Revenant

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Kylaer posted:

IIRC that was the view held by the officer who was behind the entire system of American hand-to-hand, knife, and bayonet training in World War 2 - not that it was especially likely to ever be needed, but that having some degree of training in these things would make soldiers more confident and thus more effective, even when essentially all of the actual infantry fighting was done with rifles, grenades, and crew-served heavy weapons.

I remember a picture that got posted from very early in the current war, of a Ukrainian soldier who had at least three different tactical knives strapped to his vest, alongside the magazine pouches for his rifle. It is at all useful to carry a bunch of knives if you're also carrying an AK? If it makes you feel braver and more capable of functioning in the absolute hell that is warfare, yes, it is useful.

I mean, you should have a knife or two, not including the mess kit. A sharpened pry bar at least.

I've noticed in videos (curated, of course) of UAF soldiers that the people in fixed positions or behind the lines have shorter fixed blades or larger folders clipped to the outside of their vests (that is, with the clip "in" and knife "out" for folders). Next Gen Ka-bars, Spyderco Militaries, various and assorted Gerber and Cold Steel fixed blades, etc. Makes me think they're told, "You will need to bring a knife for knife tasks.", rather than, "Expect to shank a motherfucker, bring shank."

I dunno, though. Are Ukrainians a knife carrying people, generally? Could be a bunch of construction workers spreading advice on when and how to carry a knife. Could be anything as far as I know.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1639687461092708353
Tatarigami posted a new thread on the use of tear gas by Russian forces during assaults. There was also recorded use on a smaller scale of other chemical weapons, mainly in improvised traps, but he didn't want to comment on that for the moment.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tai posted:

Never going to understand why films like to show special forces moving around in a hostile area with the butt of the rifle waving around like a loving sail. It goes in the shoulder and stays there while moving tactically unless you need to go over wall etc. Where your head moves, your rifle moves with it.

Russian SF have good reason to be very concerned about where the butt is though :itwaspoo:

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Roblo posted:

Oh indeed but if they manage to successfully hold them off at Bahkmut until they're effectively relieved by an offensive that's...an impressive success.
If this is actually what happens then Bakhmut is going to complete a fairly strange and very sad but at least silver lining transformation from "city" to "slang term for unbelievable resilience."

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Dr. Quarex posted:

If this is actually what happens then Bakhmut is going to complete a fairly strange and very sad but at least silver lining transformation from "city" to "slang term for unbelievable resilience."

Everyone already compared it to the Ukrainian Stalingrad for good reason. If they can pull off relieving the city and defeating the enemy attacking it, that would be quite a feat to have pulled off.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

EorayMel posted:

Rock or something.

I too have used many Flameless Ration Heaters for my MREs

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1639732472064663552
Dmitri posted the proper translation of the last mobik appeal.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1639743513431605249
No shirt, no shoes, no service, that applies to everyone, get lost

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Karate Bastard posted:

When the enemy is up to 30' away, practitioners of aiki-do can project their chi kung energy through the root chakra and up the Ch'ueng Mo channel, which can stop the heart.

May 2023: sketchy reports of Russian infantry reduced to firing cans of Steven Seagal's Asian Experience Energy Drink from T-shirt canons begin emerging

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1639732472064663552
Dmitri posted the proper translation of the last mobik appeal.

Maybe you should also abandon your position :shrug:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1639706340841910272
:frogout:

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
has anything ever gone this wrong before?

brexit?

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

alcatraz gently caress boy posted:

brexit?

Germany PNG-ing Russians is a time honored tradition

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

brexit?

Germany succumbing to cancel culture and cancelling the Molotov Ribbentrop pact?

So it is fairly interesting that we're now seeing the entire Frontline start to collapse into the burgeoning drama that is the Russian military. From paychecks being suspended two units just walking away and going mad we'd rather live than deal with this poo poo. We're seeing all of the early signs that the game is up. It's actually almost strange to see it like this because I'm expecting it's going to be a lot more violent which would throw rush into chaos. But what if it's literally just a casual walk back to Russian throw the hands up and idk man. I really don't know.

I guess everything really depends on the spring counter-attack. If it lands at the right time it may be a day where a lots of people start abandoning their positions all at once or are too busy complaining about the food / paycheck situation to realize that the ukrainians have crossed 5 to 10 to 15 to over 20 km into their territory and get caught with their pants down.

I mean this stuff sounds like it is very localized I'm not sure it's not having everywhere but it's happening everywhere in different levels and in different ways. A counter-attack by Ukraine would be vastly more powerful if the Russians aren't cohesive enough to form a line or viable defense.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 26, 2023

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Further update: it emerges some of the spies were reading people's mail without asking first. We will keep you informed as the story develops.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe

brexit?

Brexit is an unfathomably massive national self-own, but even that has yet to kill 200.000 brits.

This is some "Italy in WWII" level fuckup.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

Further update: it emerges some of the spies were reading people's mail without asking first. We will keep you informed as the story develops.

Have they filled out the appropriate forms though?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Have they filled out the appropriate forms though?

Please, this isn't the UK.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Brexit is an unfathomably massive national self-own, but even that has yet to kill 200.000 brits.

This is some "Italy in WWII" level fuckup.

Casualties do not equal deaths my guys, even if news stations consistently either gently caress that up or lie about it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Telsa Cola posted:

Casualties do not equal deaths my guys, even if news stations consistently either gently caress that up or lie about it.

Nah, pretty sure all those ww1 brits are dead

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The only thing that comes close to Brexit in terms of national self ownage is the US electing Donald J Trump

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

And funny in at least a couple of ways :-)

MMMM hmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Germany succumbing to cancel culture and cancelling the Molotov Ribbentrop pact?

So it is fairly interesting that we're now seeing the entire Frontline start to collapse into the burgeoning drama that is the Russian military. From paychecks being suspended two units just walking away and going mad we'd rather live than deal with this poo poo. We're seeing all of the early signs that the game is up. It's actually almost strange to see it like this because I'm expecting it's going to be a lot more violent which would throw rush into chaos. But what if it's literally just a casual walk back to Russian throw the hands up and idk man. I really don't know.

I guess everything really depends on the spring counter-attack. If it lands at the right time it may be a day where a lots of people start abandoning their positions all at once or are too busy complaining about the food / paycheck situation to realize that the ukrainians have crossed 5 to 10 to 15 to over 20 km into their territory and get caught with their pants down.

I mean this stuff sounds like it is very localized I'm not sure it's not having everywhere but it's happening everywhere in different levels and in different ways. A counter-attack by Ukraine would be vastly more powerful if the Russians aren't cohesive enough to form a line or viable defense.

This situation isn't reflected on all parts of the front, but those people who've been tallying the complaint videos up and examining the circumstances, what they're mad about, etc. have mentioned that since the war began this is the biggest volume of such appeals being posted in any given time period, and across the largest number of regions where the mobiks came from. They also make a very grim note that most of the people making these appeals tend not to survive very long after doing so because they get continually forced into the front lines. One example they mentioned was that one of the last appeals, made by mobiks near Avdiivka, ended with the entire unit being killed or badly injured with very few survivors left, ten days later.

Time favors Ukraine as long as they continue to erode logistics, long range fire capabilities, command and control, and take opportunistic hits of large concentrations of supplies, troops, and gear. However this has to be done efficiently and long enough over a period of time that reinforcements and fresh supplies don't just undo most of the work in any specific sectors they target. Any offensive should also involve preparation work against the fixed defenses (the trenches, fortifications and minefields) with the new engineering equipment they now have.