Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

veni veni veni posted:

Lol that the best 3 games of 2023 so far are all remakes of games from the the early to mid 00s

peaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

veni veni veni posted:

When they take your gear and the timed door has a bear trap in front of it I cursed and then I lol'ed

theres way more bear traps and its like come the gently caress on. good job it doesnt take health but they are always in very loly places

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

It’s been a while since I have played re4 but this huge open world area around the lake is new right.

I don’t remember this at all and it’s loving awesome.

i havent seen any new areas yet, just slightly expanded ones and i just got to the lake but now i need fuel for the boat and i think thats new...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

are none of you playing diablo 4 or is everyone just posting in some other thread?

it's pretty cool. i like the atmosphere. i think i could actually get into this

lol blizzard

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

acksplode posted:

This post is for advanced gamers only, dullsense normies keep it moving. Set run to hold instead of toggle, map R1 to LB, map L1 to RB. I'm coming to the conclusion that holding LB to run is perfect for any first or third person game where running is a thing you might do. Should be up there with circle to crouch and square to reload if you ask me. And then I figure easy access to parries at all times with RB is the next priority. I also like how it makes readying the knife feel more different from ADSing.

lb and rb? what buttons are those. i been loving around with the controls alot tho, trying to get something that feels right but not quite hitting it. i got r2 parry and hold to run. i didnt know you could remap buttons tho?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Anyone who bought Dead Space in 2008 was paying for a beta, change my mind

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Kazzah posted:

We call paying for the beta “early access” now and it’s normalized.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Fired up diablo 4 beta. Contemplating a necromancer but made a druid instead. Sorcerer is reserved for fridgelina

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Can you do local coop in the beta? Guess I'll find out

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol blizzard

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

fridge corn posted:

Fired up diablo 4 beta. Contemplating a necromancer but made a druid instead. Sorcerer is reserved for fridgelina

I’ve been playing necromancer and it’s absolutely busted, complete easy mode, it’s pretty funny.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

i havent seen any new areas yet, just slightly expanded ones and i just got to the lake but now i need fuel for the boat and i think thats new...

Wasnt new when i got there saw it was that fish farm bit lol

Still havent seen any new areas and i wonder if there are any, you could still drive around on the boat in the og. Only new things ive seen outside of mechanics are two new enemy types and some new/expanded set pieces

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
re4......... still great

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I am away from home this weekend, but loved the first d4 beta. I’ve never played a diablo before, but Vampire Survivor was a gateway for me.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Handsome Wife posted:

I’ve been playing necromancer and it’s absolutely busted, complete easy mode, it’s pretty funny.

Same as D3 then?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Haven't gotten to play much of d4 so far cuz fridgelina is taking a nap :(

But on the othe4 hand, I am just about to take on the final boss of octopath 2 :)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

This remake is incredible. Capcom is striking a shockingly fine balance between updating the original and adhering to it. Like the controls: you have the range of movement you'd expect from a modern game, but Leon isn't perfectly responsive. It takes a moment for him to change direction, and he moves in plodding footsteps rather than gliding smoothly across the ground. There's a sense of weight to his body that maintains the original's challenge in positioning yourself against a fluid mob without being bound by its control limitations. Benissimo :discourse:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

acksplode posted:

This remake is incredible. Capcom is striking a shockingly fine balance between updating the original and adhering to it. Like the controls: you have the range of movement you'd expect from a modern game, but Leon isn't perfectly responsive. It takes a moment for him to change direction, and he moves in plodding footsteps rather than gliding smoothly across the ground. There's a sense of weight to his body that maintains the original's challenge in positioning yourself against a fluid mob without being bound by its control limitations. Benissimo :discourse:

This has me very interested in playing through RE4 for the first time. I love when games have that sort of heft to them, a weight/”delay” behind the movements. Like the characters are a physical thing in a space vs an image seamlessly moving and responding instantly to your inputs.

I’m not going to buy it right away but 2023 may be the year I beat RE4!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Anyone have a good fix for stick drift? So far I've tried canned air and 99% iso, resetting the controller, and updating the console in Safe Mode.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i've seen videos and headlines talking about why blizzard sucks. i'm not denying any of the claims that they engage in poo poo practices that probably harm the industry. BUT none of that is apparent just from playing the beta, and i'm having a good time with it, which isn't something i can say for most games i try. dead space remake and re4make included.

if all the GaaS/lootbox/microtransaction/season pass poo poo is avoidable enough to just play the game and ignore, i may wind up picking it up. but i'll try and pay close attention to make sure bc i def don't want to get trapped by any bullshit.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

This has me very interested in playing through RE4 for the first time. I love when games have that sort of heft to them, a weight/”delay” behind the movements. Like the characters are a physical thing in a space vs an image seamlessly moving and responding instantly to your inputs.

I’m not going to buy it right away but 2023 may be the year I beat RE4!

If you're talking about the original, definitely play it, I think it'll stand apart from the remake as a different game that still holds up very well. I hope it keeps getting remastered forever. But having played it as recently as a few years ago on Switch, I don't think it has that quality where you feel like you're inhabiting a body with weight. Rather it's like you're piloting a somewhat nimble and responsive tank with some significant limitations in movement, like sidestepping or moving while aiming. Aiming itself is a little awkward, you're moving a pointer that isn't fixed to the camera. It's a totally different journey to roughly the same location where you're powerful but constantly put on your heels by an advancing mob. I'm always impressed when a remake makes big changes that somehow still capture the spirit of the original, it suggests thoughtful consideration. And RE4 remake is full of that stuff.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anyone have a good fix for stick drift? … updating the console in Safe Mode.

:wtc:

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
FWIW Blizzard has been quite explicit about cosmetics and premium currency—blech—to unlock those cosmetics being the only things tied to dough.

Buyer beware obviously cause you can’t trust a corporation, but as it stands there’s really no evidence that the game will be exploitative in the ways people have come to expect.

I do think it can’t decide whether it wants to be a slower more deliberate game or another retread of gotta go fast and nuke the screen like every ARpg ever. I’d prefer they lean into the former since that’s actually kinda novel.

But speculating about the future aside, it looks good, feels good, sounds good, and though I have some quibbles with some core design ideas, I think it’s going to be an excellent game to burn through the campaign once a year with, and if they actually manage to create a good endgame—bullish on that but hopeful—then this could have some real legs.

e: Tying poo poo to always online is garbage though and unless they can make the MMO stuff actually cool, which I see potential for, then I’d have preferred the option to go offline at my leisure.

As of now it’s pretty unobtrusive and seamless as long as you don’t get hit with a lag spike, which, well, beta.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 25, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Anyone have a good fix for stick drift? So far I've tried canned air and 99% iso, resetting the controller, and updating the console in Safe Mode.

At this time, not yet. Gulikit is a company that produces hall sensor joysticks and they’re working on them for the Dualsense controller but it seems they’re prioritizing the Dualsense Edge first since they have modular sticks

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

RE4make really seems like someone vaguely remembered the original RE4 and decided to remake it. They got the story beats right but it just feels off. It's really hard to describe exactly what's so off about it. It's similar enough at times to make me feel like I recognize this area (I haven't played RE4 since it launched) but everything is different. It's almost as if they kept the famous bits as is (for the most part) and did the most modifications to the in-between areas. Almost like it's a totally different game in between each well-known set-piece. It's definitely not a bad thing at all and I'll get used to it for sure, just is rubbing me the wrong way initially so to speak.

Game's absolutely incredible though and I'm enjoying my short bursts of playing it because I'm a big baby who gets overwhelmed and scared easily.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cowman posted:

RE4make really seems like someone vaguely remembered the original RE4 and decided to remake it. They got the story beats right but it just feels off. It's really hard to describe exactly what's so off about it. It's similar enough at times to make me feel like I recognize this area (I haven't played RE4 since it launched) but everything is different. It's almost as if they kept the famous bits as is (for the most part) and did the most modifications to the in-between areas. Almost like it's a totally different game in between each well-known set-piece. It's definitely not a bad thing at all and I'll get used to it for sure, just is rubbing me the wrong way initially so to speak.

Game's absolutely incredible though and I'm enjoying my short bursts of playing it because I'm a big baby who gets overwhelmed and scared easily.

i'm a little past the halfway point and the trajectory i'm on now is that it's a decent action game (like B, B+) and a terrible disappointment of a remake. it has none of the life or character of the original and nearly every new addition has been for the worse

Vikar Jerome posted:

Unless things change up (on chapter 4)

they do, quite a bit

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Cowman posted:

Unless things change up (on chapter 4) its 1:1 so far for areas outside the opening hut. just sometimes they have another room

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pretty much every complaint I have seen about RE4 remake is absolutely bonkers. Just total old man yelling at a cloud poo poo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Fucccckckk leta goo babbby

https://twitter.com/mehrtine/status/1639700557412859905?t=sB9KAg8Nr8jCWdh5s4Pi2g&s=19

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Kazzah posted:

It was good in 2008 and is still good now OP.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPqHuZwC_X4

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

acksplode posted:

Your quick turn speed slightly changes based Leon’s momentum. So many little details it’s amazing.

Seriously everyone try enabling gyro and disabling camera shake. Its like RE4Wii but from the future :blastu:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Someone on Reddit claimed that Sony specifically instructed them to do this and it fixed the problem (and several commenters agreed.) It was probably related to a software update loving up calibration. Sadly it did not fix my own stick drift issue.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Was not expecting weapon durability in zelda re4r

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Vikar Jerome posted:

Unless things change up (on chapter 4) its 1:1 so far for areas outside the opening hut. just sometimes they have another room

it changes it up a fair amount? The basic structure is the same but the level design is changed quite a bit. I'm not that far into it but they've added extra areas to the levels, rearranged the layouts of some of the levels so far, the introduction of Luis is different, the introduction of the merchant is different, the abandoned factory that serves as a stealth tutorial is entirely new. There's quite a bit that's changed.

I'm not upset or complaining about it, just commenting that it's bugging a part of my brain where I remember the original because it's different enough.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

https://twitter.com/LegionzGaming/status/1639709395327016964?t=jJA1khymX18-swSmighkzA&s=19

Showcasing some battle options for those who want an easier time. Also you see party members running with clive in the world areas, in case anyone was still worried about that.

edit: omgfucccck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vle0gxTYY1g

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Oscar Wild posted:

Was not expecting weapon durability in zelda re4r
As it turns out the PS5 itself has very poor weapon durability

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Cowman posted:

it changes it up a fair amount? The basic structure is the same but the level design is changed quite a bit. I'm not that far into it but they've added extra areas to the levels, rearranged the layouts of some of the levels so far, the introduction of Luis is different, the introduction of the merchant is different, the abandoned factory that serves as a stealth tutorial is entirely new. There's quite a bit that's changed.

I'm not upset or complaining about it, just commenting that it's bugging a part of my brain where I remember the original because it's different enough.

no, its 1:1 so far outside some changed up sequences. some buildings have an extra room or corridoor.

remake1 is changed quite a bit, for example, like there are new whole areas in addition to the originals with originals even getting changed up slightly. theres that one thats in the middle of the main stairs that isnt in og, that goes to the face mask room. theres an entire section with the cabin in the woods. these are adding extra areas to the game.

remake4 (again, im at the lake getting the parts so i can get the key) is so far, outside of setpieces, 1:1 with an extra room here and there. im not saying your upset or something lol , im just saying your memory of OG is a little fuzzy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Vikar Jerome posted:

no, its 1:1 so far outside some changed up sequences. some buildings have an extra room or corridoor.

remake1 is changed quite a bit, for example, like there are new whole areas in addition to the originals with originals even getting changed up slightly. theres that one thats in the middle of the main stairs that isnt in og, that goes to the face mask room. theres an entire section with the cabin in the woods. these are adding extra areas to the game.

remake4 (again, im at the lake getting the parts so i can get the key) is so far, outside of setpieces, 1:1 with an extra room here and there.

I guess we have a different definition of changed up then but that's alright, I get what you're saying.