Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Killing Floor 2 has the best gun feel imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So I guess Dark and Darker got removed from Steam for now? Apparently the devs were former Nexon employees who straight up stole all of the code, and art assets from Nexon before leaving and have used all of it in Dark and Darker. Which I mean, it's Nexon, so good on them. :shrug: I hope the game is able to come back because it is legitimately really god drat good.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

RandolphCarter posted:

Killing Floor 2 has the best gun feel imo.

Yeah i considered reinstalling it but its a hefty game and it's a little annoying to play Solo. I'm still thinking about it but those DLC guns look nice and yet are loving pricy.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Destiny 2 has some of the best gunfeel outside of some of the more recent boomer shooters and Dooms but also you have to play Destiny 2 which is a big downside to me.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Destiny 2 loving sucks. Agreed that the guns feel really great, but everything else about D2 is terrible. I don't understand any of the appeal to the game at all but I have online friends who have made Destiny 2 their entire personality.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I could say the same about Warframe, although a couple years out from playing it, I'll see something tried by another game and lament: "Is this really the best you can do? Even Warframe did this better."

(The actual problem with Warframe is the guns don't feel great until you mess around with them via the mod system, and then once you've fully mastered it, nothing in the game poses an actual challenge any more, so you have a brief window where everything is perfect, in between 1000+ hours of things either being too hard or too easy.)

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 25, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I always felt that yes, Destiny 2's guns feel good, but like not mind-blowingly so, at least as a PC FPS player. I always figured the praise was a console thing.

Plus there's the fact that the only functionally interesting guns are the exotics imo, everything else is pretty much just "hey, it's a space-AK"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Dungeon Munchies (full game)

This one was a whiff for me, another case of an Overwhelmingly Positive reviewed game being my downfall. Despite a strong premise and a kind of interesting (though too quirky/zany) world setting, the game is heavily let down by its poor-feeling combat, bad sound design (at least, on the Switch), and direly uninteresting level design. It does remind me in some ways of the Cave Story era of indie games, but that era had better thought put into exploration than Dungeon Munchies has, which is similar in design to, say, Itorah (in that it's very linear with singular 'hidden' alcoves that lead to recipes), but with more awkward platforming that doesn't feel super great. Again, I like the concept of it, of having a huge amount of flexibility and customization of your character's build, but the game itself should probably be fun to play first.

The Corruption Within (full game)

Just an hour and a half but a nice palette cleanser after the mediocre slog I just went through. I'm probably going to be on board with any adventure game Cosmic Void makes going forward, as both The Corruption Within and Blood Nova get thumbs up from me. They are somewhat simple adventures but are very snappy to move around, don't waste time with fancy transitions, they just get you in and out of dialog quickly, very simple interface that lets you know after observing an object if it can be interacted with. Not too many puzzles in this one but a fun little gothic horror story. Tiny bit amateurish in the climax but it's fine, I only paid $2.49 for it. Blood Nova definitely was a step up from this in the visuals and storytelling, though I still appreciate the VGA-core art going on here. It's just more reminiscent of the kinds of indie P&C adventures of the early 90s like the Hugo games (not as ugly though) than the later 90s games that turned the page to SVGA and really cranked up the color depth and the stylization.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 25, 2023

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
+1 for Rage 2 being a good shooty game.

Flawed in a bunch of ways but definitely great guns.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

The 7th Guest posted:

Dungeon Munchies (full game)

This one was a whiff for me, another case of an Overwhelmingly Positive reviewed game being my downfall. Despite a strong premise and a kind of interesting (though too quirky/zany) world setting, the game is heavily let down by its poor-feeling combat, bad sound design (at least, on the Switch), and direly uninteresting level design. It does remind me in some ways of the Cave Story era of indie games, but that era had better thought put into exploration than Dungeon Munchies has, which is similar in design to, say, Itorah (in that it's very linear with singular 'hidden' alcoves that lead to recipes), but with more awkward platforming that doesn't feel super great. Again, I like the concept of it, of having a huge amount of flexibility and customization of your character's build, but the game itself should probably be fun to play first.

A real shame! I heard good things about this one as an underground sleeper hit, but my bouncing off Gedonia has made me more hesitant to try out things that are "rated-good-but-janky" and I'd probably have the same reaction to it as you did.

I might try and review some stuff, but honestly I'm more waiting for the next crop of games that releases at the end of the month/early April. DROP, Archmage Rises, Terra Nil, The Great War - Western Front, Meet Your Maker! Even Spiritfall and The Magical Mixture Mill, though I honestly think the latter's nowhere near done yet from its NextFest Demo, even into Early Access.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 25, 2023

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i just learned after reading that that both Terra Nil AND DROP are, er, dropping on Tuesday :woop:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

i just learned after reading that that both Terra Nil AND DROP are, er, dropping on Tuesday :woop:
Terra Nil will also be free on phones if you have a Netflix subscription

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I said come in! posted:

So I guess Dark and Darker got removed from Steam for now? Apparently the devs were former Nexon employees who straight up stole all of the code, and art assets from Nexon before leaving and have used all of it in Dark and Darker. Which I mean, it's Nexon, so good on them. :shrug: I hope the game is able to come back because it is legitimately really god drat good.

I don't know how they could possibly expect to get away with it if Nexon's claims are actually substantiated.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sab669 posted:

I don't know how they could possibly expect to get away with it if Nexon's claims are actually substantiated.

Looking at the screenshot comparisons, it seems pretty clear cut that Nexon's claims are legitimate. This will probably kill Dark and Darker permanently, which is a shame because it really is a very good game, but there's nothing that can be done about it at the end of the day. Don't steal from other companies.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

maybe Nexon shouldn't sell stolen poo poo themselves like The Sinking City if they don't want their poo poo to be stolen

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

so i went back to shadow of war save on my playstation, the controls definitely feel janky.. also feels weird that i can't deflect arrows. fighting still feels somewhat fun though. funniest thing (but annoying) was when i would engage in fights i'd occasionally just get firebombed from somewhere. and it kept happening but couldn't find a source. i did some searching and eventually figured out my cloak made orcs have a 20% chance of exploding.

OzFactor posted:

If you are looking for a store management game, do not play Moonlighter. Moonlighter is a randomly-generated classic Zelda game with a terribly unfun store management minigame bolted on to it. The Zelda part is great and the game has exceptional pixel art but the store is bad, bad, bad.

yeah moonlighter got unfun for me after a bit. not sure if it was the store management but yeah.. i couldn't get far into it

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I am still working my way through Doom Eternal but the game does the shooty shooty bits good.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sab669 posted:

WB owns a patent for the Nemesis system, right? That's why no other games have tried to do something like these games?

So many RPG games (and total war games) would be better with that.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Looking at the screenshot comparisons, it seems pretty clear cut that Nexon's claims are legitimate. This will probably kill Dark and Darker permanently, which is a shame because it really is a very good game, but there's nothing that can be done about it at the end of the day. Don't steal from other companies.

Police raided their offices and didn't find anything, and most of the assets in Dark and Darker are Unreal marketplace assets that you can recognize in other games. They'll obviously look similar since they're both set in generic dark dungeons. Unless some real genuine proof comes out the claims are bull.

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 25, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pigbuster posted:

Police raided their offices and didn't find anything, and most of the assets in Dark and Darker are Unreal marketplace assets that you can recognize in other games. They'll obviously look similar since they're both set in generic dark dungeons. Unless some real genuine proof comes out the claims are bull.

Okay this is good to know, the opposite of what I heard. I'm glad that is the case, so hopefully this all gets resolved quickly.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

The 7th Guest posted:

maybe Nexon shouldn't sell stolen poo poo themselves like The Sinking City if they don't want their poo poo to be stolen

Nexon, not Nacon.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Pigbuster posted:

This, the "stolen" angle Nexon is pushing is very flimsy and partially rests on one of the devs having had the vague prototype idea while still at Nexon, which Nexon is claiming means that work on the game was performed while still on contract with Nexon which means the work would have belonged to Nexon. Literally "you brainstormed it while working under contract with us, pitched it and we rejected it, but because you did so we own the concept".

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
It sound like they have no evidence at all, but Steam buckled under pressure. Another Mom and Pop publisher crushed by a jealous and greedy big moneyed corp. That's my ignorant take.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FishMcCool posted:

Nexon, not Nacon.
ah gently caress, i've been Outer Worldsed!!!

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Flubby posted:

It sound like they have no evidence at all, but Steam buckled under pressure. Another Mom and Pop publisher crushed by a jealous and greedy big moneyed corp. That's my ignorant take.

It was a DMCA takedown request by Nexon, so Steam had to remove it for now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm very fuzzy on the details, maybe I am misremembering, but what happened with that game where it got taken down due to DMCA complaints from some weirdo who was like hyper-invested in their community thread or something and then got pissed off at them over some imagined slight?

Sorry if I have most of those details wrong!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Jerusalem posted:

I'm very fuzzy on the details, maybe I am misremembering, but what happened with that game where it got taken down due to DMCA complaints from some weirdo who was like hyper-invested in their community thread or something and then got pissed off at them over some imagined slight?

You're thinking of Workers & Resources and it's back.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oh, good, glad that that nutjob didn't win and get the game delisted permanently.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

As far as I know that was a case of basically a "modder" releasing a "mod" (not actually a mod in the traditional sense, just instructions on how to play a made-up challenge mode difficulty of the game or something?) and then the devs adding it wholesale into the actual game, using the same name and everything that the "modder" used for it, without permission.

The individual who did it is a lil unhinged for taking it that far but it kind of makes sense - it's not like they just added a mode inspired by his made-up challenge mode, they literally added his made-up challenge mode to the game with the same name. Technically speaking, that made-up challenge mode is his intellectual property, not theirs. The same protections that allowed him to do that are the same protections that stop a company like Bethesda from just straight up stealing modders' ideas and releasing it as their own.

But yeah it all got sorted out and the game is back on Steam. I don't know what they did to fix the issue (e.g. rename/remove the challenge mode difficulty or work it out with the guy who wrote the instructions or what)

e: I don't for a second think the devs did it intentionally or maliciously, I think they did it as a sort of homage to him but without asking for his permission first.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 26, 2023

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

secretly best girl posted:

You're thinking of Workers & Resources and it's back.

Thanks! Did a quick read-up, seems from a very surface-level read that the guy wrote a guideline for people to play the game in a slightly harder way than the normal game mode, the developers introduced their own harder mode that had some similarities, and the whole debacle wasn't even over whether he would get credited but WHEN he would get credited. I don't know if the resolution involved the credit or not, but it is pretty ridiculous that he was able to get the entire game pulled like that.

Edit: Reading the above post, seems like it was more than just "some" similarities!

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My understanding was that he didn't even come up with the "hard mode" and his little written guide was collated from other community sources.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

deep dish peat moss posted:

As far as I know that was a case of basically a "modder" releasing a "mod" (not actually a mod in the traditional sense, just instructions on how to play a made-up challenge mode difficulty of the game or something?) and then the devs adding it wholesale into the actual game, using the same name and everything that the "modder" used for it, without permission.

The individual who did it is a lil unhinged for taking it that far but it kind of makes sense - it's not like they just added a mode inspired by his made-up challenge mode, they literally added his made-up challenge mode to the game with the same name. Technically speaking, that made-up challenge mode is his intellectual property, not theirs. The same protections that allowed him to do that are the same protections that stop a company like Bethesda from just straight up stealing modders' work and releasing it as their own.

But yeah it all got sorted out and the game is back on Steam. I don't know what they did to fix the issue (e.g. rename/remove the challenge mode difficulty or work it out with the guy who wrote the instructions or what)

You can't actually copyright gameplay mechanics, so the guy actually has no rights to it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Yeah I was wrong, I thought it was specifically over them reusing his name but they didn't even do that - he called it Cosmonaut Mode and they called it Realistic Mode:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/workers-resources-pulled-from-steam-after-fan-claims-credit-for-game-mode

e: Lmao, okay from reading this article I can tell you it's largely because W&R uses Wix as a webhost. Any of those big webhost sitebuilder platforms that cater to small businesses will essentially auto-process any DMCA sent to them until the site owner proves themselves innocent.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Yeah the dude was a loving nutjob, but a nutjob who knew all of the right forms to sign and send to people to shut them down hard. And so they gave him a credit to shut him up and return to making any money at all. It kinda sucks he gets his "win".

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I use steam link to play games from my PC, streamed to a MacBook pro on my TV.

When I exit Elden ring, it boots me to my streamed pc's desktop, or sometimes big picture on the Mac exits entirely, booting me out of steam on the Mac. Either way, I have to get up and fiddle with the keyboard and mouse. How do I exit a remote game in big picture mode, in such a way that I remain in big picture mode to pick another game using the gamepad?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

The individual who did it is a lil unhinged for taking it that far but it kind of makes sense - it's not like they just added a mode inspired by his made-up challenge mode, they literally added his made-up challenge mode to the game with the same name. Technically speaking, that made-up challenge mode is his intellectual property, not theirs. The same protections that allowed him to do that are the same protections that stop a company like Bethesda from just straight up stealing modders' ideas and releasing it as their own.

e: I don't for a second think the devs did it intentionally or maliciously, I think they did it as a sort of homage to him but without asking for his permission first.

Technically, said nutjob did not actually invent the game mode he took credit for. He merely popularized it with a steam guide. So even if the gameplay mechanics of the challenge mode were copyrightable, they would not be his to copyright.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The guy runs a paid modded Rust server. Probably has a bit of a god complex from his fans.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Whatever happened to Tripwire devs still chuds?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Upsidads posted:

Whatever happened to Tripwire devs still chuds?

I think it was just the CEO, and he got the boot soon after, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Fruits of the sea posted:

The guy runs a paid modded Rust server. Probably has a bit of a god complex from his fans.

The whole thing is extremely stupid. If a person who doesn't own any part of the game can do that the whole DMCA system seems to be broken.