Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i did not find the os-tan thread but i did find a thread from 2006 about goons talking about how they stand up when a woman enters/leaves a room

Zen Master posted:

I'm from the South, and I was brought up to do all sorts of things like this; my parents tought me to always hold the door for a lady, give up your seat on the bus for her, stand up when she enters the room, etc. To be honest, I thought it was kind of a charming tradition, so I stuck with it . . . until I started getting really weird looks from the women I did these things for. Like, a girl would come into the room, I'd stand up, and she'd give me this look that said, "What the gently caress are you doing?" So I stopped doing it.

adnam posted:

I do it all the time.

I stand when women enter or leave the room/table.

It may not be the 1920s, but it is noticed, and appreciated by the opposite sex. I always assumed it was common etiquette to do so when a new and unfamiliar person came to the table, regardless of gender.

duerr posted:

I do quite a few of the 'standard' gestures.

I never sit down until a lady (or superior/client) has sat down,
I open the door for women (or superiors/clients) This means car doors and restaurants.
I shake with the right hand, (even a lady at one of my accounts has a 'gimp' hand that I shake on her right.

There are more, but these are the only two I really think of off the top of my head. Most of them are automatic, and I don't really think about them consciously.

I even bow my head a little bit when I shake heads (I don't know where the hell this comes from)

I'll edit he post as more come to mind.

CaptBushido posted:

Nah, I hold the doors open for dudes who are behind me, too. But even still, I'm not really gender-blind about it.

For example, with a guy, I will hold the door open if I'm going out ahead of him. For a GIRL, if we are both within a 10 foot radius of the door, I would consider it a social failure on my part if she were to so much as touch the door handle. That means moving ahead of her for the purpose of holding it open (within reason, I'm not going to shove anyone out of the way or anything just so I can be Mr. Gallant) I wouldn't do that for a guy. I can kinda see the awkwardness inherent in this, but in all honesty, it's as much reflex as any sort of conscious logic; what can I say, that's how I was raised and it's not at all unusual where I live. v:unsmith:v

Also opening car doors for girls. I've gotten weird looks and comments about that from some people who aren't used to old-fashioned manners, but people usually just laugh it off or find it cute or charming (and again this is with strangers and acquaintances; not close friends, that would be weird - familiarity negates etiquette).

I've yet to find anyone to be offended by it and I'm not sure how I'll react when someday I do.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

the "tans" were for each forum, because the goons had unearthed the website of someone who enjoyed art of anime women being punched in the stomach until they vomit.

https://www.somethingawful.com/news/you-arrrrreeee-champions/
this is the one i remember lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
So that's why I remember TCC-tan

My shameful posting secret is I joined SA because my stoner buddy was on TCC and I wanted to buy Shivadas pipes, he also had scored a lot of cool deals on SA Mart

I had heard of SA before when I was playing a MUD and a player thought I was a goon and I didn't understand so he asked if I had stairs in my house, as if I would know THAT if I didn't know goon???

Anyway, visited the site and saw the mailman dog those are my shoes they don't even fit photoshop and the bee barbecue thread but didn't understand why everyone was saying gently caress???

I was a child so I didn't have a credit card to get an account until college, when said stoner buddy showed me the forums behind the paywall and I regged up.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Mar 25, 2023

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

I bet if you made a facerig for this and put it in the corner while playing video games it would generate so much revenue for the website.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
goon telephone but wasn't there that thing in LF that became a sorta meme about how its violent and threatening to stretch in the presence of a woman? It's common sense poo poo to respect personal space (and a lot of freaks don't) but that era had some pretty wild takes trying way hard to prove you weren't like those other nerds and treating women like easily spooked deer

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
something awful-tan sounds like a miserable time, but for some reason the name SA-tan inspires a feeling of respect

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

TheSwizzler posted:

goon telephone but wasn't there that thing in LF that became a sorta meme about how its violent and threatening to stretch in the presence of a woman? It's common sense poo poo to respect personal space (and a lot of freaks don't) but that era had some pretty wild takes trying way hard to prove you weren't like those other nerds and treating women like easily spooked deer

lol goons thinking women are like black bears

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

RealityWarCriminal posted:

was that the Goon Love is the Best Love contest from like 2012 where gbs set goons up on dates with other goons

Yes. It was shut down with no explanation because something bad happened. Possibly somethings bad. Iirc someone asked what that meant and an admin said something like “out of respect for the victim, we aren’t giving details”.

:whitewater:

TheSwizzler posted:

Sounds like the whole “manspreading” thing of the 2010s

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Tenkaris posted:

lol goons thinking women are like black bears

Help I can't get a date because of these bells i put on my shoes

Frank Frank posted:

Sounds like the whole “manspreading” thing of the 2010s

I live in a city and take transit and that poo poo does piss me off a lot, the escalation of classifying annoying or rude behavior into a societal blight is very on brand for the 2010s

TheSwizzler fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 25, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
HEY LADIES I'M ABOUT TO POST IN THE THREAD PLEASE DON'T FREAK OUT IT'S ONLY ME

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
lol who the gently caress stands up whenever a lady enters the room; I've heard of most of those, but that's psycho poo poo

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

lol who the gently caress stands up whenever a lady enters the room; I've heard of most of those, but that's psycho poo poo

As I just established, if stretching scares them, standing up surely is a terrible idea! :v:

Also are they a judge in a court of law? Did a bailiff announce them into the room? Did someone just say ALL RISE? Is hail to the chief playing? Are they playing the star spangled banner at a sporting event and you're in Texas so it's not worth the risk of getting assaulted over :911:?

No?

Then stay seated, dork

Edit: I also thought maybe they meant man spreading, which is more about not being a douche bag and taking up extra space for no reason

And maybe not airing out your filthy swamp crotch if you're like the typical 2010 goon hygiene-wise :barf:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this thread is a time capsule of the kind of weirdos that lived in GBS in the mid-aughts

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 25, 2023

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

TheSwizzler posted:

he needs an av tho or he'll be killed on sight thats just how that goes

the fyad noob tournament looks fun, but I refuse to ever buy an av ever.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

this thread is a time capsule of the kind of weirdos that lived in GBS in the mid-aughts

Those types of guys live in GBS to this day

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

2012 gbs literally did have a genuine racism megathread, in a couple different flavors, even.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

The 7th Guest posted:

lol reads like a Norm Macdonald bit

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

the last noob contest was fun but it taught me I am very bad at posting in fyad

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Sexism = solved.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

anyway i'm glad the something awful tan source was revealed, the other images in that front page article are too loving weird to post though. somehow the one i posted is one of the only SFW ones other than this one

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I had forgotten about Fauxtesting. Good lord.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

was that the Goon Love is the Best Love contest from like 2012 where gbs set goons up on dates with other goons

I adjacently knew one couple who got married off of that. They divorced a few years later

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I adjacently knew one couple who got married off of that. They divorced a few years later

nice to hear there was a happy ending afterall

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The 7th Guest posted:

anyway i'm glad the something awful tan source was revealed, the other images in that front page article are too loving weird to post though. somehow the one i posted is one of the only SFW ones other than this one

i recognize fat lady who fused with her chair and someone who is about to undergo arm reduction.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

angerbeet posted:

I had forgotten about Fauxtesting. Good lord.

What the hell was that?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Paladinus posted:

What the hell was that?
Propesting.

ed: https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1180

ed2: Not in the SAclopedia page, but Lowtax was really mad that everyone called it fauxtesting and kept trying to make it propesting.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Mar 25, 2023

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Paladinus posted:

What the hell was that?

Here is a thread where goons dressed up as robots to do a fake protest:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2193114

There’s more info in the saclopedia, but it all died out around 2005 or so.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

it also got shut down as well because some female goon decided to clout chase by getting involved with thread fascination Romeo Rose, a terminally online weirdo and maybe sex creep.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It's kind of lame but borderline endearing.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I open doors for guys, but in a gay way.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The 7th Guest posted:

My weed-smoking cyberpunk girlfriend.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

thinking about two worlds who was actually just one world

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

not sure about the rest of it but big buff fyad with huge tits soaring overhead on a rocket checks out

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

thinking about two worlds who was actually just one world

I’m amazed that guy is still alive.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

imagine hating women this much

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
People asked a few pages ago about Randaconda. I was the one that looked up his stuff after another FL goon gave me his name. He hadn’t posted for a couple months at that point, so we wondered what had happened. I used to be a lawyer, so it was trivial for me to dig up his case documents.

He uploaded a CSAM picture to imgur who flagged it and reported his IP to the authorities. It made it to his local police station or sheriff’s office (I can’t recall which) who knocked on his door one evening and asked to come in. He let them in and had more CSAM open on his computer. He pleaded guilty to a number of charges for possession of CSAM and was sentenced to 10 years.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Mr. Nice! posted:

People asked a few pages ago about Randaconda. I was the one that looked up his stuff after another FL goon gave me his name. He hadn’t posted for a couple months at that point, so we wondered what had happened. I used to be a lawyer, so it was trivial for me to dig up his case documents.

He uploaded a CSAM picture to imgur who flagged it and reported his IP to the authorities. It made it to his local police station or sheriff’s office (I can’t recall which) who knocked on his door one evening and asked to come in. He let them in and had more CSAM open on his computer. He pleaded guilty to a number of charges for possession of CSAM and was sentenced to 10 years.

I don't know what CSAM stands for, so I can't not read this as CSPAM.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i know what csam means and would rather read it as cspam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I think that’s the rare instance where I’d rather actually read CSPAM