Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Remulak posted:

So if he wasn’t fighting the Nazis in uniform then what war was he a veteran of? Is there some reason he wouldn’t be in this part of this war?

J/K I know it’s not a documentary.

He was a Winter War veteran (1939-40, Finland vs Soviets), possibly Continuation War (Finland vs Soviets). The war in 1944 was the Lapland War (Finland vs Germany). Historically, more experienced troops were ordered to demobilise by the Allied (Soviet) overseers as part of the peace deal between Finland and the Soviets. So, it checks out in that sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

SlightlyMad posted:

He was a Winter War veteran (1939-40, Finland vs Soviets), possibly Continuation War (Finland vs Soviets). The war in 1944 was the Lapland War (Finland vs Germany). Historically, more experienced troops were ordered to demobilise by the Allied (Soviet) overseers as part of the peace deal between Finland and the Soviets. So, it checks out in that sense.
:ughh:
Finland was allied with the Nazis until 1944. This guy fought on the Nazi side then stopped fighting in time to NOT fight the Nazis. Didn’t realize I had to spell it out.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Remulak posted:

Finland was allied with the Nazis until 1944. This guy fought on the Nazi side then stopped fighting in time to NOT fight the Nazis. Didn’t realize I had to spell it out.

Finland wasn't meaningfully allied with the Nazis until after the Winter War, with the Continuation War and Operation Barbarossa. Meaning this guy was never an ally of the Nazis.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Is this a bit? The continuation war and alliance started late ‘41 which last I checked was roughly three years before Lapland, which is where I’m assuming this is set. It was just a joke about the ahistorical action movie, see my spoiler, but minimizing Finnish involvement with the Nazis is something I’ve seen too way too much of. So unless you’re a Paris treaty denialist, this conversation is dumb as hell. If you are, go try to fight John Wick please.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Remulak posted:

It was specifically mentioned in the movie that he fought in the Winter War, which is what I meant to say. So apparently the main character quit the warfighting business before the Barbarossa stuff and was not in the army when Finland and Germany were on the same side. That wasn't spelled out in detail, sorry. Didn't mean to downplay the Finland - Nazi Germany connection at all. Finland had plenty of home-grown Nazis too. But a deeper explanation of who sided with who and why would not work in the opening of the movie. It's just a fun action movie with a lone wolf protagonist who kills Nazis, some of whom might be Finnish Nazis.

Enough about this derail, ok? How are other movies doing, anything good to see?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Neo Rasa posted:

What a loving nerd because you can watch OG Irma Vep and they're just straight up like yeah John Woo action movies are the truest cinema

TBC I think they were establishing their film snob bona fides before they started gushing about how Blade 2 has katanas and vampires and freaky mutants

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Wick 4 was such a letdown. You cast zaror and Adkins and they don't get to fight???????

In all seriousness what an incredible movie, first one I've seen in theaters. It's insane the amount of camera work and production setup put into it. Just throwing giant money to have a whole series about how awesome it would be to have cool fights in art galleries and historical grandeur locations

Surprised they added an in memory of lance Reddick at the very very end

I couldn't believe how long the nunchuck scene went. Like 5 more waves of enemies than I expected. And then the insanity of making the crane scene just to change up the presentation of mowing down mooks. Loved it when the second crane scene started up because they just weren't done yet

I was the only one cheering when Adkins threw the roundhouse, I couldn't believe how fast he moved in that suit. Yen was kind of funny because you could see him matching Keanu's speed then ramping back up when going against extras. And zaror was a blast

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Mar 25, 2023

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Furies on Netflix was pretty good. I haven't seen Furie, but I'll probably watch it next because Ngô Thanh Vân/Veronica Ngo was super cool. I just wish it'd been a little more believable. There's a motorbike chase/fight scene that just uses way too much CGI. I'd prefer more 'mundane' action at the expense of spectacle if it means less cheap looking effects.

The 90s Vietnam setting was nice and dirty. It felt a bit like an old HK action movie at times.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
John Wick 4 did not feel like a real movie, and honestly I was only feeling a couple of the fights (cut the entire Japanese hotel battle, and almost every single scene with two non-wick characters talking to each other, give me an excellent 100 minute movie) but the movie was saved for me both by the spectacle of the last hour and Keanu's senior citizen with dementia line deliveries.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
He felt like Jack Decker on barbituates and it got a lot of laughs out of me and the rest of the audience, helped carry the movie

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Who had fewer lines, Keanu in wick4 or Gibson in road warrior

I did step out to piss during the church scene with yen so probably missed a few

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I have never lost track of the number of times a character has been hit by a car before John Wick 4.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
double post i suck

Hirez fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 26, 2023

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
More car hits in John Wick Quadrilogy or Jack Bauer Kills (309 :twentyfour: owmed)

(or for that matter, Wick's kill count). He just kills like 30 dudes in the catacombs in 2 alone

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I know it's not fair to John wick since they're the high standard of action cinema but watching the movie I kept wishing I was seeing some 80s Hong Kong classic instead. Like wow this could have cool synth music instead of tedious needle drops, this could be 90 minutes long instead of overstuffed with tedious lore and endless fights, bright and chipper instead of just dour and dark-looking, with a fun creative aesthetic instead of just thinking all it takes is "well uhhh...we put up neon lights and found a cool location to shoot...", and this could be a movie where they (quite literally) pick their battles instead of just having endless boringly-shot fight scenes that eventually seemed monotonous to me (the overhead Hotline Miami stuff was fun but that and a handful of scenes were mostly it when it came to shooting the fighting in a fresh or dynamic way). Like, all the stunts and choreography were great but I wouldn't call JW4 a pretty or well directed film, and at a certain point I was just begging it to be over (though the last hour or so of action spectacle was fantastic). I do think there's a really fun decent 100 minute action movie in there somewhere.
I'm definitely in the minority though, this poo poo is getting rated on letterboxd like it's Come and See or something.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 26, 2023

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Remulak posted:

Then, after a decade (or two?) of many small advances there was John Wick, a movie designed not only to showcase an amazing stunt team, but an entire production company that included well-integrated vfx, stylish and interesting cinematography, and jaw-dropping editing. I’ll never forget tuning into the beginning of that movie randomly in a hotel room and getting sucked in as it kept escalating.

Disturbing lack of The Raid in this post imo, I feel like that getting a worldwide release really lit a fire under the collective arse of Western action film world. Like holy poo poo this came from nowhere and was so jam packed with action on a miniscule budget, we need to try harder boys and girls! I feel like Wick was definitely inspired by just how wild Raid was, the team seeing that and going "yo, we can do action every bit as well" and we got the visual treat of the Wick films. Then Raid 2 raised the bar again imo and now we're definitely getting a lot more crazy Eastern actioners which I am very much in favour of.

Saw Wick 4 last night, I am a simple man and I had great fun. That stunt team is elite tier and there were so many moments the audience gasped at. Some great 'fun' brutality.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I know it's not fair to John wick since they're the high standard of action cinema but watching the movie I kept wishing I was seeing some 80s Hong Kong classic instead. Like wow this could have cool synth music instead of tedious needle drops, this could be 90 minutes long instead of overstuffed with tedious lore and endless fights, bright and chipper instead of just dour and dark-looking, with a fun creative aesthetic instead of just thinking all it takes is "well uhhh...we put up neon lights and found a cool location to shoot...", and this could be a movie where they (quite literally) pick their battles instead of just having endless boringly-shot fight scenes that eventually seemed monotonous to me (the overhead Hotline Miami stuff was fun but that and a handful of scenes were mostly it when it came to shooting the fighting in a fresh or dynamic way). Like, all the stunts and choreography were great but I wouldn't call JW4 a pretty or well directed film, and at a certain point I was just begging it to be over (though the last hour or so of action spectacle was fantastic). I do think there's a really fun decent 100 minute action movie in there somewhere.
I'm definitely in the minority though, this poo poo is getting rated on letterboxd like it's Come and See or something.

you're a madman. i hate half your points, disagree with the other half, and dont know why come and see is referenced so much by goons.

hard boiled is the only other heroic bloodshed movie comparable to wick4 , it's still over two hours, and i think wick4 is way more gorgeous and well shot and well directed

yeah, they stuffed in a few gratutious references but whatever, its their swan song for revitalizing american action

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I watched Nobody yesterday, a movie I had heard wouldn't be out of place in the Wick World. I liked it a lot, the action was fun and it was a rather wholesome movie about kinda trying to deal with midlife crisis. The final showdown with the family reunion felt a bit unearned, but otherwise the movie was great. One thing I liked a lot, and liked even more after the movie I just finished rewatching, was the goons.

I just finished rewatching Blind Fury, the 1989 Rutger Hauer Is Blind movie. I have to think a bit to come up with a movie where the goons are more memorable and funnier than in this movie. The movie in general is way funnier than I remembered, and not just because of all the lol blind jokes. Almost all the henchmen get a surprising amount of development, even if it's just the gun-toting yokels in the corn field munching on their snacks while hunting down the blind man. I almost felt sad when Rick Overton and Nick Cassavetes died, they were extremely fun for ultimately being just two other goons who Steven Seagal would have handwaved to death in a minute. "poo poo! - gently caress! - Shitfuck!" has been edged into my brain ever since I first saw the movie.

In hindsight, I liked Nobody a bit more after rewatching this because Nobody had a hint of those fun, dumb rear end in a top hat goons who you love to see get their asses kicked.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I watched Nobody yesterday, a movie I had heard wouldn't be out of place in the Wick World. I liked it a lot, the action was fun and it was a rather wholesome movie about kinda trying to deal with midlife crisis. The final showdown with the family reunion felt a bit unearned, but otherwise the movie was great. One thing I liked a lot, and liked even more after the movie I just finished rewatching, was the goons.

Nobody is written by the same guy as John Wick and you can see it's a remix of a lot of the same ideas. It's more interested in the central character and the imagery of an addict falling off the wagon. I would say it's basically a better movie than John Wick even if Wick is the better action movie. I don't know if that distinction makes sense. Also, yeah, Nobody is great at introducing interesting henchman (like the Black Russian guy) who you think are going to be the focus, who get little moments to shine as characters, only to get clowned on. It's a really funny movie.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

cut the entire Japanese hotel battle,

get the gently caress outta here.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Grendels Dad posted:

I just finished rewatching Blind Fury, the 1989 Rutger Hauer Is Blind movie. I have to think a bit to come up with a movie where the goons are more memorable and funnier than in this movie. The movie in general is way funnier than I remembered, and not just because of all the lol blind jokes. Almost all the henchmen get a surprising amount of development, even if it's just the gun-toting yokels in the corn field munching on their snacks while hunting down the blind man. I almost felt sad when Rick Overton and Nick Cassavetes died, they were extremely fun for ultimately being just two other goons who Steven Seagal would have handwaved to death in a minute. "poo poo! - gently caress! - Shitfuck!" has been edged into my brain ever since I first saw the movie.

Blind Fury is an absolute gem, don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Disturbing lack of The Raid in this post
Lol, I DOH’d this once already and almost deleted the drunken effortpost in shame. I decided to leave it because who cares, I’ve said dumber poo poo. More importantly I think it captured my excitement of seeing a great action movie in a crowded theater again with an audience that’s as into it as I am. God that’s intoxicating.

Big Spoiler Discussion now opening weekend is over: Did anybody actually think he died? While that works a lot better thematically it was NOT my reading at all so I was initially confused when I read Chad congratulating himself in Variety.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Remulak posted:

Big Spoiler Discussion now opening weekend is over: Did anybody actually think he died? While that works a lot better thematically it was NOT my reading at all so I was initially confused when I read Chad congratulating himself in Variety.

It would be strange and poor film making if he wasn't dead. If he faked his death why is Winston pretending with no one to there see it except the movie audience? And the idea that JW can fake his death without involving Winston and leaving him to grieve for his friend goes against everything 4 movies have built up.
John Wick died a free man, it's the best he could have hoped for.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Remulak posted:

Lol, I DOH’d this once already and almost deleted the drunken effortpost in shame. I decided to leave it because who cares, I’ve said dumber poo poo. More importantly I think it captured my excitement of seeing a great action movie in a crowded theater again with an audience that’s as into it as I am. God that’s intoxicating.

A vibe, honestly.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

CeeJee posted:

It would be strange and poor film making if he wasn't dead. If he faked his death why is Winston pretending with no one to there see it except the movie audience? And the idea that JW can fake his death without involving Winston and leaving him to grieve for his friend goes against everything 4 movies have built up.
John Wick died a free man, it's the best he could have hoped for.

On the other hand, The King asks Winston if John is in heaven or hell, and Winston replies "Who knows..." with a little wry smile on his face.

It seems very specifically designed to work either way.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Somehow, john wick returned

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ok but if they do a John Wick 5 I hope it's shorter. This Wick was just too big for me to comfortably take.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I hope the next one is six hours

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Mantis42 posted:

Ok but if they do a John Wick 5 I hope it's shorter. This Wick was just too big for me to comfortably take.

I think it helped that the last 3 action movies I watched were gigantic indian ones

Imagine if Akira had gotten to do a dance number with wick. Or one in the night club before the Adkins showdown. Would have been incredible

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Remulak posted:

while I think the grave is legit, there is an undetermined timeline between the end of the duel and them being in front of the grave - leaves a door wide open for more movies in that timeframe

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
he's 100% dead because the only theme the movie even tried to have was about consequences, and that's completely gone if Keanu can just walk it off

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

JW4

midge posted:

while I think the grave is legit, there is an undetermined timeline between the end of the duel and them being in front of the grave - leaves a door wide open for more movies in that timeframe

Isn’t that La Ballerina film set between 3 and 4?

I’m going to choose to believe in the current timeline he bit it at the duel and that’s the end, but there’s always the opportunity of him doing stuff at other points in time. I kinda hope they don’t do more with him though, it feels like the Skywalker stuff not needing to constantly exist to do a Star Wars.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://youtu.be/g9Z_AqAVS5o haven't listened yet but hoping to get good details about wick from Adkins and Jacobus

Edit they didn't rehearse his fights with Keanu. That's absolutely wild but if there's two English language guys who can go at it like that I guess it's those two

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 31, 2023

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I just watched Priest, the Paul Bettany western-sci fi vampire movie, my thoughts were:

- Paul Bettany is great in Equilibrium-level shlock, he might do great in a comic book movie,
- Karl Urban is a fantastic ham, he might be great in a comic book movie or show,
- Christopher Plummer made me think that this movie originally had Kevin Spacey in it,
- CAM GIGANDET, and
- the overall message of the movie is problematic. Veterans kept back by a fascist regime, and when they go and take the fight to the other species in their "reservations", it turns out that they do the right thing because those evil buggers in fact had been breeding like vermin and the movie ends with a kick-rear end “the war is just beginning!” No fascist conspiracy to weaponize the outsiders or whatever. The Church is terrible but ultimately "only" really ignorant, the real evil lies in the "reservations". Go Priests!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Priest is really weird because it is technically based on a Korean comic book but not really. The original comic is about a priest in Old West times who makes a deal with the devil to kill bad guys, eventually ending up in a post apocalyptic style future.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Grendels Dad posted:

I just watched Priest, the Paul Bettany western-sci fi vampire movie, my thoughts were:

- Paul Bettany is great in Equilibrium-level shlock, he might do great in a comic book movie,
lol Paul Bettany is Vision in the MCU tho

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Grendels Dad posted:

- Karl Urban is a fantastic ham, he might be great in a comic book movie or show,

Karl Urban played Judge Dredd. It was loving sick.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Oh gee guys, I'm not sure how I might have missed that!

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Karl Urban had a load of fun as a character in Thor: Ragnarok in the MCU too.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Dave Angel posted:

Karl Urban had a load of fun as a character in Thor: Ragnarok in the MCU too.

It was fun seeing him having fun but I have to admit I was one of the comic book nerds not quite happy with how his character's Iconic Scene was handled. His introduction was fantastic, then he was only there to have Cate Blanchett throw exposition at him, then he got to do the thing with the guns. Not quite last stand material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Karl Urban is also essentially the lead in The Boys.