Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I normally don't shill things but wow, the penny arcade mechwarrior destiny stream is extremely entertaining. It's also a great look, like, anthropologically, as to how the roleplaying stuff is supposed to work, since they do the "rotating gm" thing and like, I don't know what else to say. I've always bounced off Actual Play but these guys are having fun and I am here for it. Merc captains with barely functioning mechs trying to pull off schemes that involve playing both sides (and then clanners show up) is really entertaining poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I've just recently gotten into the game via the AGoAC box and I've been having fun. I have a couple of questions, how should I go about with force building and when will I know that I'm ready to move on to Standard Rules?

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Dreamsicle posted:

I've just recently gotten into the game via the AGoAC box and I've been having fun. I have a couple of questions, how should I go about with force building and when will I know that I'm ready to move on to Standard Rules?

When you're ready to try to dislodge battle armor on your mech and punch yourself in the head instead, then fail a roll and skid on pavement right off the table.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Dreamsicle posted:

When you start to feel like you want more variety in your game is probably a good time to move on.

A Game of Armored Combat has enough rules to let you use most maps and a much larger variety of 'Mechs than are included in the box (such as the ones in Record Sheets: Succession Wars which has a few hundred sheets you can print off and play without any extra rules) so you can supplement the variety available to you with those products.

There's a lot of fun to be had without upgrading your rules. You also aren't really missing out on a huge amount by sticking with A Game of Armored Combat - as far as I can tell, it's a pretty complete representation of the rules for 'Mechs with the most basic equipment fighting on the most basic terrain types. However, when you feel like you specifically want more weapon and equipment types and more terrain types and more unit types (infantry, tanks, helicopters, etc.) is when you should actually get one of the hardcover rulebooks.

The BattleMech Manual is what you should get if you only care about 'Mechs, while Total Warfare is what you should get if you care about more unit types, though it has been noted that Total Warfare, even new printings with the latest errata, is an old book that isn't up to the same standards as the BattleMech Manual. If you want more 'Mechs to play with using the more advanced equipment you can get Record Sheets: Clan Invasion.

As far as force building, you need to know what Battle Value your force will have to be. I don't think there's a standard value but 3000 - 5000 works well for smaller games and 5000-10000 for larger games, especially with more advanced equipment available. You can pick a group of units that fits into that Battle Value - you can obtain the BV for a given unit from the record sheet or go searching for it on the Master Unit List. The MUL also has faction availability and era availability/introduction date if you want to build toward a specific faction at a specific time period, but that isn't mandatory.

I recommend selecting a force that is half heavily armed and armored but slow, and half fast, light, and with jump jets. The light things can intercept fast enemy units or harass slower units to screen your big bruisers while they approach. Then when the big guys get to a good firing position, you ideally want to force your opponent to have to pick whether they are shooting at your big guys, or the small ones that are backstabbing them.

Good weapons for A Game of Armored Combat to look out for are medium lasers and SRMs on light units (which are highly-efficient damage dealers that don't force the 'Mech to compromise on speed), and large lasers, PPCs, and AC/10s on large units, which pack a punch at longer ranges which mitigates their slow movement somewhat. If you're feeling brave, something with moderate speed and an AC/20 can project an aura of "back the gently caress off" but will also become a priority target.

A sample force for 5000 BV using units I like:

The BNC-3S Banshee and the MLN-1A Merlin are your bruisers, the QKD-5A Quickdraw and the JVN-10F Javelin are your harassers.

The Banshee and Merlin have a bunch of PPCs and AC/10s between them, and can throw in a bunch of medium lasers at close range. The Quickdraw and Javelin are reasonably quick, have 8 medium lasers between them (not counting the Quickdraw's rear ones) and good armor protection. (The Quickdraw in particular performs like a Jenner except for ground speed, and has much more armor, more heat sinks, and a much more powerful kick, which makes it pretty good IMO.)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've finished painting up the Hunchback IIC from Arquinsiel.

The purple IIC is a 3D print I had made locally. I think the metal sculpt has the slight edge, but it might also just be that blue and white work better as colors. Naturally, it was my son who requested the blue and white so maybe he has better taste than I do.

I'm also quite pleased with this new phone camera. The fidelity of the pictures is much higher.

Edit: In case you're curious, I went with the fancier base on the IWM model because I had to. The model has an integrated base that looks silly on a hex base, so I used putty and sand to hide it and make the base look like a single piece.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 25, 2023

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
All I want is every vehicle box and the Goliath. I need my Weeble Wobble of Doom. I've got 8 of the current Lance/Star/Comstar boxes plus previous Starter set with my beloved Griffin, Clan Box, newest and previous normal main boxes plus who knows how many metals and whatnot.

I'll probably get the Alpha Strike box sooner or later too so I can wait. Long as I can have plastic Behemoths we are all fine and nobody will get hurt.

I generally like using Heroscape tiles to play on so even maps are only when I'm lazy.

Still its nice to see Battletech getting popular again in spite of a lot of the fanbase being incredibly inflexible unwelcoming folks. You would think the joy of stompy robots would bring more FUN people.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

lol this looks so much cooler than my IWM Hunchback IIC. I currently use it as a testbed for paints/materials that might ruin my other minis. Now thinking I should dress him up for real.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
God, I think if I won the lottery, I'd fund Paradox Interactive making a Battletech Grand Strategy Game.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Over 200k over 4 million already. Dango

I think 5 is likely and 6 might not be unfeasible either?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's possible all their pre-game hype to get everyone lined up for the starting gun will somewhat shorten the tail on this one.

Mind that's just supposition I'm not betting against it.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

a cyborg mug posted:

Over 200k over 4 million already. Dango

I think 5 is likely and 6 might not be unfeasible either?

I think five is likely especially as they just upgraded the stretch reward (1 force pack bonus for all company and above, 2 force packs for battalions and above), which means a lot of folks will probably do an add-on or two to help out. 6 I'm not sure, it's gotta be a big stretch goal, not just another free pack (Although I wouldn't say no to that). Something everyone really... wants.

A foot tall Urbanmech mini.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

A foot tall Urbanmech mini.

I’ve already got a bathroom trash can though :v:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That's what we need, an actual urbanmech garbage can. Make it the size of the average desk-side wastebasket and when you step on its foot the top flips open.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Captain Rufus posted:

All I want is every vehicle box and the Goliath. I need my Weeble Wobble of Doom. I've got 8 of the current Lance/Star/Comstar boxes plus previous Starter set with my beloved Griffin, Clan Box, newest and previous normal main boxes plus who knows how many metals and whatnot.

I'll probably get the Alpha Strike box sooner or later too so I can wait. Long as I can have plastic Behemoths we are all fine and nobody will get hurt.

I generally like using Heroscape tiles to play on so even maps are only when I'm lazy.

Still its nice to see Battletech getting popular again in spite of a lot of the fanbase being incredibly inflexible unwelcoming folks. You would think the joy of stompy robots would bring more FUN people.

It's all neckbeards online dude

Everyone I know irl (and its about half a dozen now) are just down to play whatever. Battletech is still a "we are hanging out, the game is the medium" type of game, not a "I will heavily breathe, not make eye contact, destroy your force in two turns, and then leave without so much as a handshake" game like 40k can be at times. (I've been told of this happening at least six times, all with different people, it honestly sounds like a nightmare)

Hell, even the old-head from the 90's likes the new vehicle rules a lot more. And he's the only one among us who has vehicles (3D printed).

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Floppychop posted:

That's what we need, an actual urbanmech garbage can. Make it the size of the average desk-side wastebasket and when you step on its foot the top flips open.

Give it a nerf dart that shoots when you open it and you'll reach 10 mil by tonight.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Hell, even the old-head from the 90's likes the new vehicle rules a lot more. And he's the only one among us who has vehicles (3D printed).

Are the original vehicle rules that bad? My experience is somewhat limited, but their biggest problem seems to be they're slightly under-costed compared to mechs.

Infantry I think are more of an issue: they do a ton of damage and are incredibly resistant to everything but AI Weapons. There's no way a platoon of guys armed with nothing but space ARs should do as much damage to a mech as an AC-10.

As for new rules, I am pretty intrigued by the upcoming Battlefield Support rules which seem to be an expansion of the rules in Tukayyid. I would like them to find a way to keep AI weapons being useful against infantry, though, without maintaining the current craziness.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Vehicles pack a lot of firepower in but they go down fast. Infantry can do a lot of damage when they get up close but they're generally slow and short ranged so you really need to be lucky to actually land those hits, and if you're playing scenarios that aren't just "kill everything" then it can be hard to deploy them somewhere that they'll actually help at all. Where they really shine is with hidden deployment or double blind rules, and then you can get all kinds of nasty attacks in before a single Firestarter ruins a company's day.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've finished painting up the Hunchback IIC from Arquinsiel.

The purple IIC is a 3D print I had made locally. I think the metal sculpt has the slight edge, but it might also just be that blue and white work better as colors. Naturally, it was my son who requested the blue and white so maybe he has better taste than I do.

I'm also quite pleased with this new phone camera. The fidelity of the pictures is much higher.

Edit: In case you're curious, I went with the fancier base on the IWM model because I had to. The model has an integrated base that looks silly on a hex base, so I used putty and sand to hide it and make the base look like a single piece.
Looks great. I wasn't sure what your base situation was so I sent a spare with it just in case.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

FishFood posted:

Are the original vehicle rules that bad? My experience is somewhat limited, but their biggest problem seems to be they're slightly under-costed compared to mechs.

Infantry I think are more of an issue: they do a ton of damage and are incredibly resistant to everything but AI Weapons. There's no way a platoon of guys armed with nothing but space ARs should do as much damage to a mech as an AC-10.

The original rules for vehicular damage rolls were very unkind. Motive damage was caused automatically based on the hit location you roll, rather than having to roll on a motive damage table with a chance to do nothing, so it was eve easier for vehicles to lose all their mobility with just a few hits. Also, while critical hit results rolled on the determining critical hits table (no result on a 7 or less) the critical hit table was 1d6 with two "vehicle explodes" result and one "crew killed" result meaning a successful crit had a 50% chance of killing the vehicle outright. There wasn't even the clause that fuel tank hits on fusion vehicles merely count as engine hits (because fuel for fusion vehicles is a tank of water rather than explosive hydrocarbons).

And on top of that, there wasn't even a high reduction on VTOL rotor damage as there is now so medium lasers were guaranteed to take out a rotor.

However, even now vehicles have a vulnerability - they pack in a lot of armor for their weight, but because it's concentrated on 4 or 5 locations, it's easy for repeated hits to drill through it because they are far more likely to hit the facing location than any given location on a BattleMech in the same situation. So 4 PPC hits against a BattleMech has a high chance of spreading that damage around and not going internal, but has a high chance of inflicting 40 damage to the front of the vehicle which can outright destroy many vehicles.

Infantry were maybe an overcorrection but back in BMR and older rules, 1 damage killed 1 infantryman so a gauss slug would be like bowling and knock down 15 men. At least now the dedicated anti-infantry weapons are worth using in those scenarios.

I think that auto rifles are definitely too strong though. I experimented with infantry building and the resolution on infantry weapons is so poor and auto rifles so good that if you want your infantry to actually be useful they need to use auto rifles or one of the Mausers. The reason being is that when you add support weapons to a platoon, the infantry weapons of the platoon contribute to damage but the range doesn't matter. So even though auto rifles have a range of 3 hexes, they contribute full damage up to a range of like 9 hexes if you equip support lasers or LRMs or other long range weapons. Giving that same platoon more expensive, higher-tech laser rifles is actually strictly worse.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 25, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

"I will heavily breathe, not make eye contact, destroy your force in two turns, and then leave without so much as a handshake" game like 40k can be at times. (I've been told of this happening at least six times, all with different people, it honestly sounds like a nightmare)

Why are autistic people so scary? We are literally more afraid of you than you are of us

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kesper North posted:

Why are autistic people so scary? We are literally more afraid of you than you are of us

I don't think that's meant to call out autistic people but the types of players who treat even the most casual game like a life-or-death situation where they must crush the opposition at any cost.

I ran into a jerkass like that when I played the X-Wing miniatures game. He was using the top tier tournament list at the time and was so fixated on calculating the precise way to kick my rear end at any given instant that he couldn't hear or wasn't responding to my attempts to chat.

For example, I complimented him on the cool laser-cut plastic counters he was using and asked where they were from and he didn't even seem to hear me. Because I guess sweating profusely over every single branching outcome 10 turns in advance during a casual fun game against someone who has played single digit times is more important than acknowledging that there is another person involved. I found out afterward that they were tournament prizes and he had won enough tournaments to have a big pile of them.

He wasn't like that before or after the game - you never would have guessed he was the type who apparently only lived to kick peoples' asses - but it still left a super bad taste in my mouth. I'm okay with not winning but I feel like there's a time and place for the kind of play he was doing and it didn't belong in a game against a newbie. Like using a highly-effective list is one thing but spending an hour with a grim hyper-focused disposition like the miniatures are real people who are actually living and dying based on your decisions in a casual game with no stakes is pure madness.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 25, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BattleMaster posted:

He wasn't like that before or after the game - you never would have guessed he was the type who apparently only lived to kick peoples' asses - but it still left a super bad taste in my mouth. I'm okay with not winning but I feel like there's a time and place for the kind of play he was doing and it didn't belong in a game against a newbie. Like using a highly-effective list is one thing but spending an hour with a grim hyper-focused disposition like the miniatures are real people who are actually living and dying based on your decisions in a casual game with no stakes is pure madness.

Oh, FFS. You've spent all these years having a grudge against a neurodiverse person for the crime of being what they are.

It may help you to understand that we don't, like, get a choice about whether or not to act like that. It's not that someone is so desperate to dominate you that they go to that place, it's that they can't turn it off, that's just how their brain works. Hyperfocus is a technical term that specifically deals with this well-documented phenomenon in ADHD and autistic people. It is not a moral decision. He wasn't being cruel. It's no more weird or deliberately offensive than someone who can't help staring at a TV if it's on in the same room as them. We literally cannot turn it off.

Why can't we act normal when we're deep in hyperfocus? Why do we stare and drop the social niceties? I'll tell you: Pretending to be "normal" - what we call masking - takes considerable conscious effort, and most of us can't do both at once. So maybe rather than bitch about how weird and creepy we are - which again is not something we can help or fix, it's not a moral failing as you seem to believe it is - try learning about and trying to understand the people you're likely to encounter while playing games like this. Their actual lived experience might be a difficult for you to imagine or comprehend, but it'll give you a lot of insight into what you're dealing with.

We autistic people are constantly forced to cope with the insane and stressful demands of life in neurotypical society for every minute of our entire loving lives. We have no escape, we have no reprieve, we have no safe places. It has been said that no one can study how trauma affects autistic people because no one has encountered an autistic person who isn't severely traumatized.

You can probably cope with us being a little weirdly intense about our special interests for a couple of hours.

BattleMaster posted:

I feel like there's a time and place for the kind of play he was doing and it didn't belong in a game against a newbie.

A note about this: We don't learn the same way normal people do either, so how are we supposed to know how to play against neurotypical newbies? His experience as a new player was likely vastly different from yours, because he had a different set of mental tools with which to comprehend the game. He doesn't know what it's like to be you, and autistic people often need to be explicitly told about implicit social expectations like "go easy on the new guy" in the first place. You're mad at him for his neuropathology, it's like being outraged at a guy on crutches.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 26, 2023

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I think you're making an awful lot of assumptions here

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I think I've lived this experience a million loving times and I know whereof I speak

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

1. Assuming he was autistic. I do not ask or assume because it is rude. All I know about him was that he was a successful tournament player who didn't dial back for a newbie. He wasn't required to, either, but it made for an unenjoyable game.

2. Assuming I didn't put up with him. I played the whole duration of the game until my ships were all destroyed and offered a "good game" which I always do even if I didn't enjoy it. As far as he knows nothing was out of sorts and there was no point telling him otherwise.

3. Assuming there is a grudge. I never saw him before or after (or didn't recognize him) and all I would have done is not played against him.

4. Assuming there is anything going on here other than an experience I didn't enjoy which made for an anecdote. No, this wasn't meant to be an attack on a group of people, and even if the original fellow read this I don't think there was enough there for him to know it was about him. I honestly and truly meant no offense with this story and I exaggerated it a little to be amusing.

Furthermore, I am allowed to choose how I spend my leisure time. If I do not enjoy interacting with someone for any reason, I will not interact with them. I am not required to be a captive audience. I will remain polite, I will finish the current activity - I will not walk out or rage quit - but I am 100% allowed to choose if I want to interact with that person ever again.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Do any of the new forcepacks stand out as having particularly good or bad units in them?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

BattleMaster posted:

1. Assuming he was autistic. I do not ask or assume because it is rude. All I know about him was that he was a successful tournament player who didn't dial back for a newbie. He wasn't required to, either, but it made for an unenjoyable game.

Well what you're describing is pretty much a textbook presentation of autism, so I hope that helps make it easier for you. I also have to point out to you that you offered this example as similar to behavior discussed in the post I originally responded to:

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

It's all neckbeards online dude

Everyone I know irl (and its about half a dozen now) are just down to play whatever. Battletech is still a "we are hanging out, the game is the medium" type of game, not a "I will heavily breathe, not make eye contact, destroy your force in two turns, and then leave without so much as a handshake" game like 40k can be at times. (I've been told of this happening at least six times, all with different people, it honestly sounds like a nightmare)

I've bolded the examples of popular stereotypes of autism used in this post. This is a form of dogwhistling:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_whistle_(politics)

And you said:

BattleMaster posted:

I don't think that's meant to call out autistic people but the types of players who treat even the most casual game like a life-or-death situation where they must crush the opposition at any cost.

What I'm trying to tell you is that these are the same picture. That is just literally how we are.

BattleMaster posted:

3. Assuming there is a grudge. I never saw him before or after (or didn't recognize him) and all I would have done is not played against him.

You're still using it as an example years later.

BattleMaster posted:

I honestly and truly meant no offense with this story and I exaggerated it a little to be amusing.

You were chiming in to defend the guy who was complaining about heavy-breathing neckbeards who don't make eye contact, my dude.

Kesper North fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 26, 2023

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Do any of the new forcepacks stand out as having particularly good or bad units in them?

The Inner Sphere Recon lance has a Firestarter, Ostscout, Javelin, and Spector. Firestarter is da bomb.

Looks like they put up graphics of all the forcepacks on the Kickstarter too.

No one has a CGL Vindicator they'd care to trade do they? I'd rather not shell out 25 on an add-on for the beginner box but it seems like a mech in short supply.

I'm kind of surprised the one Forcepack with the Long-Tom, Mobile HQ, and Mash Vehicle don't have two of each in there. Hopefully it's priced accordingly (20 and not 40).

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 26, 2023

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Fuckin lmao, what is going on in this thread?

e: nvm. Don’t respond to or quote this post. I don’t want to contribute.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 26, 2023

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sorry, my fault for taking the bait.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
No worries. I'm here for the stompy robots, and enhancing our shared understanding of, like, life, and stuff.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I love my big dumb child the Pillager in the Inner Sphere Assault Lance. Head and shoulders better than the Atlas, but please do lot let sneaky naughty robots backstab and make its Gauss Rifles explode
(it is equivalent-ish to the Gunslinger and the Nightstar, but all three of them sort of have to look up to the Devastator)

Also, the Spector (Inner Sphere Recon Lance) is really good for what it is. It and the Wolfhound are really similar in both speed and loadout, if you wanted to run them together.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Mar 26, 2023

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

BattleMaster posted:

Really Good Effortpost

Thanks! This is really helpful.

I also have a question for mini acquisition, besides force packs what are other good sources for minis?

Also this is more of a MegaMek/MekHQ question but but what are easy starting contracts? I seem to keep getting torn to shreds since I'm always outnumbered at least 2:1 by my opposition.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 26, 2023

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Iron Wind Metals has the official metal miniatures. Catalyst has a handful of premium plastic mechs for sale individually, but there's a good chance you don't need those mechs specifically as you likely already have them.

There is a robust 3D printing scene and a fairly active Facebook group to help source files if you have access to a printer.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Kesper North posted:

They're not? Are you saying that the 3025 forever, "no change allowed" crowd are autistic? I can personally vouch that the only 3025-forever grog I've met was not, in fact, autistic, he just had extreme butthurt over Clans getting better technology than the IS and basically just believes Battletech was ruined by the inclusion of techno-barbarians who got better toys and pilots :shrug: Like I don't know why you got so heated, when I saw "inflexible" from the guy I just assumed he was talking about the 3025 forever grogs, most of whom don't seem like really nice people. Era-grogs are just weird in general, people pick and era and go "from hereon out, anything produced for battletech is bad and I refuse to acknowledge it exists". As someone who actually likes the IlClan era this poo poo is tiring. "No, we have to play the slowest version possible of the game because the existence of pulse lasers and CASE ruins this important institution, Battletech, the game of armored combat."

The warhammer point, eh, I just don't think it's very nice to bring a tournament mindset to a pickup game. I guess it's fine to be a meta-chasing guy if you're at a tourney but if you're just going "hey anyone wanna play" on facebook or whatever and then meeting up with a guy who annihilates you without so much as a hello, well what the hell was the point of me coming out? It's a 40 minute drive to the nearest town for me to play Battletech and if someone treated me that way I wouldn't bother next time. Tabletop gaming is a social hobby and we're all here to have fun and make friends, and you need to be worth the time to hang out with unless you live in a really big city with a thriving, massive scene. I have no idea why you would choose in-person, tabletop wargames if your entire goal was to absolutely table the gently caress out of everyone you meet at all times. :shrug:

FishFood posted:

As for new rules, I am pretty intrigued by the upcoming Battlefield Support rules which seem to be an expansion of the rules in Tukayyid. I would like them to find a way to keep AI weapons being useful against infantry, though, without maintaining the current craziness.

Adding anything into Battletech adds time. Rolling for potentially 40 individual missiles from an SRM carrier might not be worth your time to include. I really just like the new rules because they emphasize the Battlemech as the King of the Battlefield and not the "wow, you could have bought XX amount of tanks and just poo poo-slaughtered them for the price of one of those" that it is with the classic rules,

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

They're not? Are you saying that the 3025 forever, "no change allowed" crowd are autistic? I can personally vouch that the only 3025-forever grog I've met was not, in fact, autistic, he just had extreme butthurt over Clans getting better technology than the IS and basically just believes Battletech was ruined by the inclusion of techno-barbarians who got better toys and pilots :shrug:

Where did we meet and what Clan were you playing that wiped my IS force?

Granted, I haven't actually played since about 1992, so it's been a long long time. One day I should go to a local club and see if I can get a game.

Though I presume I need to paint them first.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Dreamsicle posted:

I also have a question for mini acquisition, besides force packs what are other good sources for minis?

https://www.fortressminiaturesandgames.com/collections/cgl-miniatures-loose
https://www.ariesgamesandminis.com/index.php/shopping.html

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Comstar posted:

Granted, I haven't actually played since about 1992, so it's been a long long time. One day I should go to a local club and see if I can get a game.

I think Battletech players are supposed to be pretty forgiving of un-painted models.

Speaking of, wasn't there a Minneapolis goon posting right before covid hit? I'm actually going to be visiting this summer for the first time since the long, long ago and trying to decide if I should be packing some mechs with me....

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I mean the actual rules say you can play with literally anything as long as it has a clear front side. Lego dude Atlas or salt shaker Urbanmech are as valid game pieces as lovingly converted and painted CGL miniatures. If anyone gives you poo poo about having unpainted mechs, point to the official rulebook saying poo poo don’t matter

Edit: Got curious and had to check what the Alpha Strike rules say. I guess it makes sense that as an actual tabletop miniature game (as opposed to BattleTech being a board game), the AS rules say that your proxy minis should, if possible, at least be of a vaguely representative size and shape.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 26, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Comstar posted:

There's been a meme for a month or so on the facebook groups because some loser got extremely mad at someone buying a lot of Battletech product and started screeching about how you aren't actually doing a hobby if you aren't painting your models or something, is that what you're referring to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
^^^^
That's been a weird culture war meme floating around over and back for the last few months. First I saw of it was chuds getting mad about 40k and people demanding they post their minis to prove they're at all invested in the hobby they claim to "defend". BattleTech has a whole different culture around painted minis so I dunno WTF is going on there.

Dreamsicle posted:

Thanks! This is really helpful.

Also this is more of a MegaMek/MekHQ question but but what are easy starting contracts? I seem to keep getting torn to shreds since I'm always outnumbered at least 2:1 by my opposition.
If you're in the UK/EU the Ral Partha are great. Fantasywelt in Germany are the best way of getting IWM stuff past customs for the EU.

MekHQ is... extremely complex. It's difficult to actually work out what part of the system is loving you. I recommend trying to work out how to prevent the AI from taking fighters of any kind, since that just results in them doing doughnuts around the map being unable to line up a strafing run while you are unable to actually get them nto range at all.