Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Still on the fence on the Cardianon being "the good guys".

Even though the disease is spreading throughout the station/planet and possibly infecting your party in time, if there ends up being another boss battle and the source ends up destroyed, would that end up becoming a genocide and make us "the baddies"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
this dungeon is too long, but as a fun side effect of being too long, caused the formulation of the Wait I Think This RPG Is Bad test

1. when you're in a dungeon, do you wish it would just end so you can watch the next cutscene?
2. when you're watching a cutscene, do you wish it would end and put you back in the dungeon?

if the answer to both is yes, good news! you are playing a bad game!

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Did finally get a chance to attempt to peek into both the PS3 and the 4K's files for this game. Nothing I could recognizably work with after a while of messing around. I could get the 4K's .bins open thanks to a tool, but couldn't find anything I could do something with from there. Just compressed files with no leads on how to work with them and not in a format I recognize. I'll admit I only checked the first bin, because I'm hard pressed for the hard drive space that would result from breaking down the other bin.

Oh well. It might be possible to set up an OCR for the text with portraits at least. ImageMagick convert -monochrome -threshold 95% gets a pretty promising result off a .jpg from the last update, so it'll probably work on the source .png.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

2. when you're watching a cutscene, do you wish it would end and put you back in the dungeon?

And then there's the times when the game has uncountable cutscenes between dungeons!

Odd Wilson posted:

Did finally get a chance to attempt to peek into both the PS3 and the 4K's files for this game. Nothing I could recognizably work with after a while of messing around. I could get the 4K's .bins open thanks to a tool, but couldn't find anything I could do something with from there. Just compressed files with no leads on how to work with them and not in a format I recognize. I'll admit I only checked the first bin, because I'm hard pressed for the hard drive space that would result from breaking down the other bin.

Oh well. It might be possible to set up an OCR for the text with portraits at least. ImageMagick convert -monochrome -threshold 95% gets a pretty promising result off a .jpg from the last update, so it'll probably work on the source .png.

I'm going to admit, I barely understand what you're saying, but I do appreciate you trying to find stuff for me.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Odd Wilson posted:

This game's font does seem better for it than my one attempt at OCR so far, Wild Arms. To give one example, the carat on the letter "k" in that game's font wasn't connected to the "stick" so every "k" was read as "lc".

Also,

That's supposed to say "Dream Chaser" :newlol:

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 11 - Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto

"Captain's Log, Space Date 10.

We appear to have been imprisoned by the Cardianon after walking into a trap. There's no obvious way out, but I'm going to do what I do best and try smacking my sword against the wall until it works."

Click here to watch the gang in captivity.

"Dammit!"

"This room must be protected by some sort of energy field. One that can render any attack powerless."

"...This is weird. I can't use my symbology."

"As you can see, the field even disables symbology. That alone is impressive enough, but..."

"An energy field and teleportation...They're certainly not lacking for technology."

"Who's there!?"

"How embarassing..."

The way Reimi reads sexualization into everything, I wonder if she isn't repressing something.

Now Playing - Dark Heart, Dark Mind

"...Are you the leader of this ship?"

Mr. Cardianon's mouth does not move as he speaks.

"'Cause if you are, I've got something to ask you. What are these "Epiphanies of Guidance"? What was that thing that made such a mess on Lemuris-our friend's home!?"

"Edgie..."

Mr. Cardianon: "We, the Cardianon, shall be the rulers of this infinite cosmos. We have been blessed by the gods. All inferior beings will be eliminated."

"What...!?"

Reimi, she's seen death a thousand times by now and heard people scream for their lives as they died. She doesn't need coddling.

"You think it's okay to cause pain because you're some kind of "superior beings"!?"

Mr. Cardianon: "We are merely implementing the natural laws of nature."

"If I may interject, you have not yet answered the key question."

Mr. Cardianon: "What do you hope to gain from knowing the words of the gods?"

"Edge, no! You'll only break your hand punching the screen!"

""Muah"?"

Mr. Cardianon: "Impurities are of no use to us. You, of Muan blood..."

""Muan blood"...? Is he talking about us?"

"Steel..."

"...giant?"

Mr. Cardianon: "You will instruct the steel giant to cease its destructive activities and surrender at once."

"Hold on! What the hell is this "steel giant"?"

Mr. Cardianon: "An invader. It came here with an accomplice who escaped our grasp. Another descendant of the Muah like yourselves..."

"You're saying he had the SRF emblem on him...?"

Mr. Cardianon: "We believed we had captured his ship, but apparently yours was merely a vessel of the same design. However, your vessel also bore precious specimens. Two, in fact. Thus is the will of the gods."

"The same design...The same emblem...? So, he actually was here after all..."

"...I think I finally understand the cause of all the damage we've seen on this ship. Everything is because of this steel giant's "destructive activities." It's not wonder the Cardianon paid us so little attention."

Mr. Cardianon: "In any event, you are to be used as specimens. You will enlighten the giant before you are disposed of."

This is either a poor translation or poor phrasing, because it implies he's going to kill them either way, disincentivizing them to cooperate. That, or Mr. Cardianon is so blitheringly arrogant he thinks they'll do what he says despite having no good reason.

Mr. Cardianon: "Heed my words and instruct it immediately: Surrender at once!"

"...Fine. You want some "instruction," huh?"

"Listen, I have no idea who or what you are! But if you came here with Crowe..."

He's a special kind of stupid.

Mr. Cardianon: "You will remain in confinement here until your punishment has been decided."

Mr. Cardianon's display screen vanishes.

"There's no need to apologize. Frankly, I feel relieved."

"You sure told him! Edgie, you're so cool!"

"...Yup. Just like you, Edge. Though I do think you went a little bit overboard."

"What these Cardianon are doing just isn't right. I know you would have acted the same way, Crowe..."

We are now free to move. We have to talk to our party members before we can proceed.

Optimal answer is the first one.

"Yes, I agree. Their acts cannot be forgiven. We must stop them at all costs."

Optimal answer is the second option.

"Yeah, me too. Talking's better than fighting, 'kay? That way people don't have to get so sad."

Second option again.

"You don't sound very convincing...But I guess I'll be counting on you."

Then the screen shakes.

And a cutscene begins.

Click here to see the Steel Giant for yourself.

Oh great, the booba elf again.

Sex object lady hears something through the wall, and runs away.

Another explosion ensues, rocking the camera.

We hear Cardianon outside talking about the onset of the steel giant.

"Goodness, it is certainly convenient the display reactivated to show us what was happening outside."

"Too bad the video quality is so bad."

That's Lymle, FYI.

"Wh-what is that...?"

"I don't know...But if I had to venture a guess, I'd say it's probably the Cardianon's-"

Now Playing - Ladies and Gentlemen

"You don't have to finish my sentences for me, Faize."

"It really WAS convenient that display turned on, or we might not have known when and where to back away from!"

"Please come with me."

"Hmm...So you must be Mr. Edge Maverick."

"Huh?"

"Your voiceprint data matches that of the call broadcast throughout this ship earlier. Let us go, then, Mr. Edge Maverick."

"Just hold on a second, okay!?"

Everyone does some gesture of gratitude.

"And next...there's something I need to ask you."

"The thirst for knowledge always presents chances to gain insight. As a humble scientist, I would like nothing more than to answer your questions. However, our current reality does not permit leisurely conversation. Let us go, Mr. Edge Maverick."

"Fair enough. I'll save the questions for later, Mr. Bacchus."

"As you wish, Mr. Edge Maverick. Incidentally, please feel free to call me Bacchus."

"Will do, Bacchus. Likewise, you can just call me Edge."

"As you wish, Mr. Edge."

"No, I mean...uh, never mind. So, where we going?"

"The central isolation chamber. There I can fulfill my duty."

"Your...duty?"

"The objects known as the "Epiphanies of Guidance." It is my duty to put an end to them."

"...I see. Well, that's convenient."

"Hmm...?"

"Ah, just, we need to be getting there ourselves."

"Very well. Mr. Edge, would you decide our formation?"

"Huh?"

"We number five persons total. The optimal combat formation is four. Please select one of us to be in reserve."

"Lymle."

"What?"

"She's a child and shouldn't be on the battlefield to begin with, put her in the rear."

"Well, I have to pick someone. Sorry, Lym, you're gonna have to stand behind us."

"Mmrgh, I'm not a child, 'kay?"

To be clear, Bacchus is in, Lymle is out. That's our party going forward for now.

Now let's talk about Mr. Steel Giant. He may well be the best party member in this game, at least from a narrative standpoint. Of course, that's mostly by virtue of being the least offensive person in this game by far. Right now we have Edge the shonen protagonist, Reimi the girl.jpg tsundere, and Lymle the monotone plastic doll. Faize hasn't been too annoying thus far, but trust me, he'll get there.

Bacchus, on the other hand, is generally a reasonable person, which may as well make him a god compared to all these dweebs. He's gonna be a lot about metal man tropes, but hey, it's better than all the other archetypes we have thus far.

Mechanically, he's a solid party member too. He can strafe opponents with his dodge ability, allowing him to fire quickly at range. Reimi can do this too, but to a lesser extent, and Bacchus has a cool laser cannon.

Plus he blindsides by performing a rocket jump. Smelly Reimi just does aerial flips.

Anyway, show must go on. Just beyond a full-heal point and a vending machine, we are attacked by a stack of enemies, having to fight them back-to-back. But they're really not that hard to beat.

The sole unique feature of this fight is this Cardianon General. But he's not very unique himself, just a pallet swap with uninteresting special moves.

Now Playing - Night of the Chase

In the next area we encounter yet another pallet swap, the Armed Dragon Newt. Again, nothing all that special.

Also in this area, we will be forced into fights with enemy mobs that turn up on these flying platform ships.

Now Playing - Chain of Explosions

They play different music for the battles, but they're all the same enemies.

Every victory sees the platform ships fall away and explode.

"I think a Cardianon is piloting that mechanized unit from within."

"Man, why can't the SRF make something cool like that? No, instead we waste the money on do-nothing railguns..."

Armed Dragons are one of the nastiest enemies in this dungeon. They tank a lot of damage, frequently go into Rush Mode, and their attacks can often interrupt your blindsides. They even have seeker missiles.

In this segment, we encounter these red security fields. Some will be ever-present and can't be passed through. Others will flicker off long enough to let us run past. You basically have to navigate specific paths through this floor until you find the way to treasure chests and/or the exit.

This scene can be seen at any point after getting Bacchus by interacting with a vending machine twice. You'll likely get it here, due to having interacted with a prior vending machine, then this one. But if you didn't bother, perhaps due to already having plenty of items, you can kiss your free affinity points goodbye.

"Buy things? You mean from this vending machine?"

"Yeah. When you put money in here, all kinds of stuff pours out...Is there someone inside it? Or are you making it come out with symbology? But...you didn't use any symbology. Ooh, it's so weird."

"I don't know if you're thinking about it quite right, Lymle..."

"No, Mr. Edge. When searching for an answer, there is no wrong way of thinking. What is important is the method by which one finds it."

"B-Bacchus...?"

"...?"

"Miss Lymle. Your hearty appetite for knowledge is truly a wonderful thing. I find myself deeply impressed. If you would allow it, I will act as a guide towards your answer."

"Mmm...That's no good, 'kay?"

"Oh? What is no good? Have you already arrived at an answer through your own means?"

"I dunno any "Miss." I'm just Lymle!"

"No, Miss Lymle, I could not. Ceasing to observe proper protocols of address would be disrespectful."

"Uh, Bacchus, just call her what she wants, would you?"

"Hmm. If you insist, Mr. Edge...Well then...Lymle. Will that be sufficient?"

"Yup. Now you got it, Bacchie."

"If we have resolved this issue, then please allow me to return to the matter at hand. This, young Lymle, is a vending machine..."

"Hmm...'kay..."

"There, we all better now?"

And the scene ends...without either of them adequately explaining what a vending machine is.

On the next floor, we must break these valves with the Thunder Ring in order to make the laser fences appear visible. Otherwise, you'll see Edge randomly get zapped by them without being sure if it's a permanent fence or one that flickers on and off.

Each valve corresponds to one of the "rings" on the map (and are marked by a purple exclamation mark), so when you enter another part of the map, you need to find another valve to break. These will often be in awkward places and necessitate navigating around enemies, doors and fences.

The biggest threat on these last few floors is an actual dragon enemy. Dragon Generals are big, tough, and have lots of area attacks.

On the final level, we are forced to navigate a series of fences, with a conveyor belt taking us underneath them.

Through these doors lay cutscenes and a boss fight...but all those :words: will have to come later.

Join me next time, where Bacchus explains what happened, and Mr. Cardianon comes out to confront us.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 25, 2023

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
What's this? A party member that's completely inoffensive???? AND he allows us to boot Lymle to the loving curb? Outstanding.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Well, game? Finish telling me what a vending machine is.

I'm waiting. :colbert:

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

...Yeah, that conversation with the Cardenion Captain is exactly what it was supposed to be, and delivered the intended message: that the enemy is so self-centered that they can't conceive of other's viewpoints, which leads them to issue stupid demands.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
bacchus is in fact the best party member mechanically as well; the speedruns of this game, which do exist, lean VERY heavily on his combat ability

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

bacchus is in fact the best party member mechanically as well; the speedruns of this game, which do exist, lean VERY heavily on his combat ability

Really? I don't doubt you, but I found a lot of differing opinions on who the best party members were (mechanically) when searching myself.

The only thing I can say for sure is no one thinks Lymle is top tier.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

...Man, and I never liked how Bacchus plays.
He's a cool guy, but his blindsides always felt really slow to me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
No one is better than green Mega Man.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cyflan posted:

...Man, and I never liked how Bacchus plays.
He's a cool guy, but his blindsides always felt really slow to me.

oh, it's boring as poo poo, but Galvanic Shock in a player's hands instead of the AI's is a The Encounter Is Solved button for a very long time

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

LJN92 posted:

Optimal answer is the first one.

These are non-optional anyway - if you give the wrong answer they just say 'oh that's not like you Edge' and you have to repeat it until you do it right. No idea if the first answer you give changes affection but I wouldn't be surprised.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I really have to say that Last Hope feels like it hasn't been running away from everything interesting in the way Infinite Undiscovery did, at least so far. IU was infuriating for how little it wanted to engage with anything it brought up. It's still early days, but this adventure is at least moving and the player is at the forefront and involved.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

marshmallow creep posted:

I really have to say that Last Hope feels like it hasn't been running away from everything interesting in the way Infinite Undiscovery did, at least so far. IU was infuriating for how little it wanted to engage with anything it brought up. It's still early days, but this adventure is at least moving and the player is at the forefront and involved.

Yeah, I can praise Last Hope on that much; the narrative is coherent, and it feels like the characters care to ask questions and find out why everything is happening.

But I assure you, we're going to some weird places after Cardianon. And I don't just mean in the sense of physical locations.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

LJN92 posted:

Faize hasn't been too annoying thus far, but trust me, he'll get there.

Oh boy, will he. :shepicide:

Anyway, my own thoughts on characters gameplay-wise. Firstly, I need to say that in the Star Ocean series, attack magic is hot garbage. The farther we get into the game (and post game, which is what I care about), the more likely bosses are to half, nullify, or absorb elemental damage. The majority of attack magic has a elemental property, and the ones that don't naturally will be some of the last the character learns . So essentially, if you're a mage who can't buff or heal, you're not worth using. And in terms of physical skills, you want ones that that hit the enemies multiple times. For me that means three physical attackers with multi-hit attacks (Reimi and two characters who haven't joined us yet) and the best healer (also, not joined yet). "Wait, not Edge, the main character?!" Nope!

Faize: Pure magic user, and thus the absolute worst character in gameplay terms. Only non-attack spells are Antidote and a buff for magic (I've already said my piece on magic).

Lymle: Better than Faize due to getting actual healing spells... if you're that desperate for a healer she's the best you're going to have for a while. Does have several physical attack skills, all but one of which is fire elemental, and all of which scale off intelligence (so they're essentially magic). Pretty sure fire is one of the most common boss resistances as well...

Bacchus: Solid character. Lots of multi-hit skills. I don't care about speed runs, but he does have one skill that's *perfect* for money farming, but the catch with that is he has to stay relatively low-level for maximum efficiency...

Edge: Again, solid character. Generally the last person I swap out for bench-warming duties. And hey, he gets a healing and a status cure spell if you really can't stand Lymle!

Reimi: Again by my criteria, one of the best characters. The bad part about her is that she's a late bloomer. Her second best ability is learned at 59 and her best is post-game only. And yes, putting up with 58 levels of adequacy is worth it for when she comes into her own.

Melomane Mallet fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 24, 2023

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 12 - Godslaying

"Captain's Log, Space Date 10.

We have finally caught some respite as we battle our way through the Cardianon Mothership to find both its power core and the rock thing known as the "Epiphanies of Guidance". With the help of our new friend Bacchus, we will hopefully destroy the Epiphanies, deactivate the tractor beam and escape this place."

"If you are done expositing, Mr. Edge, then I believe it is my turn."

"Bacchus...how about telling us exactly who you are, first?"

"I am precisely who I said I am. I am Bacchus D-79, of the Morphus."

"Um...what's the "Morphus"?"

"It is a very straightforward concept. Just as you and Mr. Edge are Earthlings, I am of a race known as the Morphus."

"Uh...I see."

"Bacchie, are all your friends huge and clunky and all "boom!" too?"

"I may not look it, but I am a scientist. I lost the use of my body while in the process of fulfilling my duty, so I repaired it to what you see here."

In other words, no, Morphus are not an android/cyborg race.

"Your duty...You mentioned that earlier. The destruction of the Epiphanies of Guidance, correct?"

"Indeed, that is part of my duty...but not its entirety. Leading the universe toward a just future for the sake of the continued existence of all life: That is the duty of the Morphus."

"Hmm..."

"...Huh? What's wrong?"

"Your reaction does not surprise me. I could not blame you if you thought of us as megalomaniacs posturing as some kind of...superior beings. However, we are not quite so arrogant."

"The result will mean safety for all species, but the Morphus are at heart motivated by simple egotism."

"I see...Your lack of hypocritical selflessness does make it easier to sympathize with your cause."

"I am honored that you understand."

"Um...you just said you're acting to escape destruction? What are the Epiphanies of Guidance, anyway? Are they so dangerous they could destroy the entire universe?"

"I see you too have a hearty appetite for knowledge, Miss Reimi. As you wish, I shall explain. To do so, I will need to begin with the history of the Cardianon."

"Two hundred years? You're telling us they built a civilization like this in only two hundred years?"

"Common sense would suggest that to be impossible."

"That is correct. But then, objects that render common sense meaningless fell upon their planet from deep space."

"The Epiphanies of Guidance?"

"Precisely so. The Cardianon attained an anomalous rate of evolution, and became a savage species with blind faith in the Epiphanies. The Epiphanies not only warped the Cardianon's natural course of evolution, but also took from them their home."

"Their home?"

"Indeed. The planet Cardianon could not withstand the rigors of its rapidly-advancing civilization, and was destroyed. Consequently, the Cardianon are now a vagrant people, with no land to call their own."

"That's kind of...sad."

"I don't really understand, but losing your home is no fun, 'kay?"

"I guess you might say the Cardianon were themselves victims at first..."

"The Cardianon are now actively seeking a new homeland, with this fortress as their mothership."

"Which ultimately means invasion, I take it. That is something that cannot be condoned, no matter waht the circumstances."

"Quite so. And that is why I must destroy the Grigori."

""Grigori"?"

The real life Grigori are biblical angels. Hence why Reimi had that weird line about Barachiel being an angel. Armaros and Barachiel are both the names of biblical Grigori.

"I trust you have seen the mutated Cardianon?"

"Yes...enough to be sick of them."

"That is the evolution the Grigori bring about. By bewitching the minds and bewitching planets, they attempt to destroy the universe. That is the Grigori's definition of evolution. It is my duty to destroy the Grigori, and halt the expansion of that aberrant evolution."

"Well, in that case, we'll help you out."

"Mr. Edge?"

"Edgie?"

"As long as these Grigori are around, what happened on Lemuris will happen again, right? Proper evolution, the future of the universe...Heh...All that's way beyond me. But if there's one thing I know, it's that the pain our friend went through can't be allowed to happen again!"

"...Mr. Edge, you are a straightforward man. In that way, you resemble Mr. Crowe quite a bit."

"So it *was* Crowe, after all. You two invaded this ship and stirred things up together, right?"

"My meeting with Mr. Crowe was complete chance. I detected a distress signal from his ship while on my way here."

"That lummox...making us all worry like this..."

"Mr. Crowe proposed that he and his crew join me in my mission to destroy the Grigori...But before even hearing my answer, he infiltrated this fortress, along with his entire ship. By the time I had caught up and stopped him, he was already quite close to the central isolation chamber. It's conceivable that he might have been able to subdue this entire fortress alone."

"He sounds like quite an amazing person."

"Yeah...he's like a more potent version of Edge."

"No, no, I'm not anything like Crowe. At least, I don't think I am..."

"Having said that, the Cardianon were equally tenacious. As a result, Mr. Crowe's crew sustained injuries. Eventually, we surrendered and were taken prisoner. Even so, I could not permit all of us to be killed. I had Mr. Crowe and his crew escape from the facility while I created a diversion with the Cardianon."

"I can't believe you convinced him."

"It is as you say, Mr. Edge. At first, Mr. Crowe was adamant about acting as the decoy himself. But he analyzed the situation from every available angle, and made the best possible choice to prevent annihilation. Mr. Crowe is a passionate man, but he is also quite cool-headed. I imagine he is bringing my message to En II, the Morphus center of operations as we speak."

"Hm? "Ee en two"...?"

"I'll explain at another time. Right now, we have more immediate concerns."

"We're almost there."

"Yeah...Almost to the Grigori."

And finally, all that exposition is over with. Hoo boy.

But this is just a short window to allow you to prepare for the boss encounter, and all the exposition that comes next...

Click here for today's boss fight and related cutscenes.

"It's bigger than the one on Lemuris..."

"I have never had an opportunity to destroy a Grigori before, but this should be sufficient."

Reimi speaking.

"Well, anyway, our work here is done. Now the Cardianon will-"

There is a sudden, loud noise.

"What's that!?"

Mr. Cardianon has smashed his way in, piloting a custom mobile suitMetal GearMech Warrior Armed Dragon.

"It's the Cardianon from before...!"

Mr. Cardianon lets out a scream.

Mr. Cardianon: "You...you...inferior beings...! You shall have...no...forgiveness!!"

"The evolution they cause isn't natural! If you keep this up, you'll meet the same fate as your home planet!"

"You're not becoming gods, you're becoming irrational monsters! Nobody should want that!"

Mr. Cardianon: ""All" who are "one"!"

"But...but-!!"

Now Playing - Cimmerian Halls

"Wait! This is..."

"Yes. What we saw on Lemuris..."

Calm down, Edge Maudlin.

Now Playing - I Do, Therefore I Am

Once again, Sahariel is a boss with a glowing weak point we must exploit to win.

The thing is, there's nothing proactive you can do to expose it. You have to wait for him to use specific attacks that leave it exposed. Meanwhile, Sahariel can just continue to lambaste you with every other attack he has that doesn't leave him vulnerable. At least with Barachiel, it would use its exposure attacks often enough that it didn't matter, but for long tracts of my fights with Sahariel, it would make sure not to expose itself.

I see a lot of stuff on the net about this battle being easy, like the wiki, but it sure didn't seem like it to me. They say its attacks don't do much damage, but not in my experience. Maybe it's because I don't deep dive hard enough into crafting, or because I'm underleveled, or because I suck, but whatever the truth was, Sahariel was a tough fight for me.

That is the reason for two anomalies above; for starters, I replaced Faize with Lymle (don't worry, I'll never use her again after this...outside of where I'm forced to), as I felt I needed some form of healing for the fight. Healers, especially the early ones, suck in Last Hope. In Infinite Undiscovery, you could practically get away with not having a dedicated healer due to being able to abuse the healing button, which would basically make your party drop what they're doing to heal, with items if need be. Last Hope's characters aren't even capable of using items independently, as far as I know, and I've seen many people complain about a lack of a dedicated healing role for the AI. I should mention it is possible to turn off the AI's use of spells in the menu, and thus leave them with nothing but healing to do, but I never had this problem in Infinite Undiscovery either.

I also applied the "HP Boost" battle skill to Edge. If you boost it all the way to rank 10, then you get a whole extra 10000 HP. That basically makes Edge invincible in this fight, which I abuse to let me sit in front of Sahariel and wail on his weakspot.

I should also mention people suggest using the EMP Bomb item, which can do as much as 5000 damage. But, you need to wait until the weakpoint is exposed, otherwise it just does a wimpy 250. So you'll still have to wait for the boss to expose himself.

Mr. Cardianon has reverted to being normal after the fight, albeit beaten to death

Edge walks off without responding.

"Edge truly is an impressive man, isn't he..."

It's going to be a theme in this game, praising Edge just for being a massive bleeding heart.

"...I don't really get it. But I know those rocks are worse than the baddest bad guy. So I'm not gonna be mad at these people anymore, 'kay?"

"Right."

Everyone starts moving towards Edge.

"Bacchus!"

Bacchus tests his limbs.

"...Operation level C...Repairs feasible. I have slightly limited use of my left leg and right arm, but it is not a problem."

Everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

Now Playing - Peace of Mind

"...But...thank you, 'kay?"

"You saved our lives."

"It is nothing to concern yourselves with. I have only done what should be expected of a comrade."

"I see...Can you walk?"

"Locomotion may prove somewhat difficult...but I will manage."

"Don't push yourself. Help me out here, Faize."

"Of course."

"Don't worry about it. You saved our lives: this is nothing."

"I'm afraid he really is heavy..."

"That's the weight of our lives, Faize. Deal with it!"

"Believe me, I am..."

The scene ends there. Bacchus is temporarily removed from the party, but it doesn't matter, as there's few to no encounters to be had ahead.

All we have to do is walk to our next destination.

Click here to see the Cardianon reactor shut down.

That's Reimi.

Also Lymle is currently sitting on Bacchus.

"Me, too."

Edge presses the big button.

Reimi again.

"And the tractor beam is down! It's a success!"

A loud sound is heard.

"Now what!?"

"Allow me to investigate. Lymle, would you mind climbing down for a moment?"

"A countdown to warp? Huh?"

"It would appear to be an emergency evacuation system built into the Cardianon mothership."

"Evacuation? To where?"

"I'm unable to locate the preset coordinates in my database. I believe it is uncharted space, to which no established routes exist."

"And at this rate, we'll be taken along with it when the countdown ends."

"Yes. And if we are cast away into such uncharted space, there is an exceedingly high probability that we will never be able to return."

"Wait, what...!?"

"Please do not worry. My search of our surroundings shows an emergency bypass up ahead. Please use it to escape and return to your ship."

"Bacchus, you're not..."

Now Playing - Tears in the Sun Make a Rainbow

"D-do you really think we're going to leave you!?"

"With your assistance, I have successfully fulfilled my duty. I have...no particular regrets."

"Wha-!?"

"No, Bacchie! You're coming with us, 'kay!?"

"Please, don't concern yourselves. It's not as if I'm going to die."

"Even if not, you'll still "never be able to return"...correct?"

"That might as well be death!"

"Mr. Edge, I believe you are the ranking officer among all those present. It is your duty to make a realistic decision for yourself and your crew."

There is a moment of silence.

"Please think rationally."

"No, don't be ridiculous!"

"Miss Reimi...No, it is not to be. Please release my hand, and hurry."

"No, I won't! We're getting out of here together, and that's final!"

"I don't want to lose a friend...I would be so sad, 'kay?"

"Lymle..."

"You'd better just give up, Bacchus. Once my old childhood pal and this little girl here get going, there's really no stopping them."

That's Faize.

""Only doing what should be expected of a comrade," was it?"

"..."

Now Playing - Chain of Explosions

"Yes, sir!"

"'kay, sir!"

Bacchus is now intermittently being bumped, grunting every time it happens.

"Not that I'm complaining...!"

"The bulkheads are closing! We've got to hurry!"

We have a brief segment where we need to get through the bulkheads as they close. If they close on us, we just end up having to fight some enemies. It's not remotely hard to get through them, however.

Click here to see us escape from the bulkheads.

"'kay."

"I am fairly*GRUNT*certain the*BUMP*next bulkhead is*OOF*the last one...!"

"C'mon, this is it! The final stretch!"

That's Lymle.

"Enough already! Put me down at once and go!"

"I thought we'd been through this!?"

"Don't make us waste our breath with your nonsense, Bacchus!"

Now Playing - Welcome to the Darkness

"Hmm...I wonder who that was?"

"It looks like she used a lightning symbol."

"I don't think she was a Cardianon..."

Gee, you think, Faize?

""Red-haired man"...Did she mean...?"

"I'm afraid I can only see the ceiling, and thus am at a loss to fully digest the current situation...But I believe we had best hurry."

"...That's right! Move it, people!"

They keep dragging him, the scene ends, we can move again. This time, nothing stands between us and the Calnus.

Click here for the ending sequence.

Now Playing - Event Horizon

We get a bunch of shots of our team sitting or tapping at consoles.

"It warped, Lymle. Along with all the Grigori's secrets..."

"But...if there were no Grigori, the Cardianon would have evolved normally. They wouldn't have invaded Lemuris. If there were no Grigori..."

"The Grigori are gone. The Cardianon said it himself, remember? It was their final Epiphany."

"Yeah, but..."

"Edgie. Nothing like what happened to my home will ever happen again. That's all that matters, 'kay?"

Now Playing - Cosmic Voyagers (Spring Wind Mix)

"Lymle...You're right. I guess we actually were able to protect Lemuris this time."

"We were. I'm really glad."

I'd say taking a child into danger is wrong, but Reimi evidently thinks that's okay.

"I think you should try trusting yourself for a change. Just let yourself be Edge-good old Edge...okay?"

"You've got to be optimistic, right?"

"Yeah, we do. I'm counting on you guys, all right?"

:hai:

"'kay!"

"...Mr. Crowe."

Lymle starts trying to draw again, with Reimi chasing after her.

"Being with him and his crew...It makes warmth radiate throughout even my cold, steel body."

And there the cutscene ends, and so too will this update.

Join me next time, when the game sucks us into a black hole of cringe.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 25, 2023

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
If my vague memories are correct, the next update will indeed be full of cringe. I'm looking forward to it just to see how everyone reacts.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
"We have just met but now it is time for my dramatic, leave-me-behind death scene."

"There's no time to spare for a wounded soldier like me-"

"Arguing about it would leave us with even less time, now come on. Pull him along if you have to. Somebody else has to be here to keep the six year old off the frontlines."

LJN92 posted:

Join me next time, when the game sucks us into a black hole of cringe.

IthilionTheBrave posted:

If my vague memories are correct, the next update will indeed be full of cringe. I'm looking forward to it just to see how everyone reacts.

The remaining question is what kind of cringe it is. We shall see in time, I suppose.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I see Bacchus, and all I think about is playing Xenosaga again for Ziggy. Is that normal? Should I see a doctor to get my head fixed?

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Odd Wilson posted:

The remaining question is what kind of cringe it is. We shall see in time, I suppose.

The answer is "yes" to what type of cringe.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

FeyerbrandX posted:

The answer is "yes" to what type of cringe.

there is a long, long road before we leave the realm of cringe and return to merely boring. there's a detour to "wait what the gently caress" along the way that's worth the price of admission though

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013
I'll say that while the writing hasn't really been great, or even adequate, it at least hasn't been scorching me like acid, yet. Curious to see how that'll change.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I've seen some of the upcoming plot twists and boy they are a doozy. Haven't seen all of them, but definitely enough of them. Though that's nothing compared to the stupidity of some of the Private Actions that play out. I'm watching with bated breath to see what fun we're in store for.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 26, 2023

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

Sum Gai posted:

I'll say that while the writing hasn't really been great, or even adequate, it at least hasn't been scorching me like acid, yet. Curious to see how that'll change.

The tagline of the title alone does that to me. Sorry if I missed where this has been mentioned already, I know it came up in the last LP of this game that I saw around here.

It's just 'the last hope' and it's a prequel. Which ... yeah. Whatyousaynow? Go drunk game, you're home.

But of course, for me the entertainment value of these LPs is in the 'Battlefield Earth' category. They're amusing because they're a trainwreck, and because they do things like name characters Edge Maverick on purpose.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I know of one particular kind of cringe that's in this game, and I'm not looking forward it but honestly kind of hope they get it out of the way so it's not hanging over my head like an LP-based Sword of Damocles.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LJN92 posted:

"Being with him and his crew...It makes warmth radiate throughout even my cold, steel body."
Stop right now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

berryjon posted:

I see Bacchus, and all I think about is playing Xenosaga again for Ziggy. Is that normal? Should I see a doctor to get my head fixed?
I would be against remembering what could have been Xenogears 2.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

LJN92 posted:

The thing is, there's nothing proactive you can do to expose it. You have to wait for him to use specific attacks that leave it exposed. Meanwhile, Sahariel can just continue to lambaste you with every other attack he has that doesn't leave him vulnerable. At least with Barachiel, it would use its exposure attacks often enough that it didn't matter, but for long tracts of my fights with Sahariel, it would make sure not to expose itself.

Yeah, it's always felt weird that there doesn't seem to be an actual intended strategy here, I'm pretty sure it's the only boss in the game where a) there is a specific weak point and if you're not hitting that you might as well not bother and b) there is nothing you can do to access the weak point any faster. Even if you do have enough hp/defence to shrug off the attacks that still doesn't save you from having to stand around until it decides to let you damage it.

As a side note this is one of the few places which is gone forever, so better hope you got everything you want (particularly if you love completionist achievements).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Man... an update full of cringe... is it going to be awful romance stuff?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Update 13 - The Black Hole of Cringe

"Captain's Log, Space Date 10. I had Bacchus take a look at the star calendar, but he says Lym accidentally created a self-deleting variant of the software. He says it will take a long time to fix.

Anyway, we destroyed the last of the Cardianon's Epiphanies, killed their leader, and escaped the mothership intact. Bacchus took a grenade for us, but he can repair himself.

I want to note we encountered a strange big-eared alien woman who I believe is looking for Crowe. She also doesn't believe in wearing layers. Must have been drat cold in that miniskirt and bra-shirt on a ship filled with coolant."

This is both the shortest and longest update I have made thus far. Very short if you read as is, but rather long if you include all the side content by Lpix link. I might have included more regular content, but I feel this side stuff is going to generate a lot of...buzz. Don't want to overload you with too much poo poo at once.

In the wake of escaping the mothership, we have to talk to Bacchus first to proceed.

"I have just sent a report to En II on successfully fulfilling my mission to destroy the Grigori on Cardianon. I am certain my report will eventually reach Mr. Crowe's ears, and he will learn of you and your friends."

"What? You can talk to Crowe!?"

"It grieves me to say I cannot. This ship's equipment is sufficient for no more than mere message transmission."

"I see...Well, I guess it doesn't matter. If he's alive, I'm sure we'll meet him somewhere."

"You truly are an optimist, Mr. Edge."

"Anyway, you said Crowe was headed for this...En II. What kind of place is it?"

"It is the home of the Morphus."

"Your home..."

"Long ago, we departed from our mother planet, disappearing into the abyss of space to become the guardians of the galaxy. It was then that we constructed the base of operations: the artificial planet. En II."

""Constructed"...? You built a planet!?"

"Of course, En II should not be compared to a natural planet. Its dimensions are much closer to those of a space station. Nevertheless, its environment is remarkably similar to nature herself. We believe En II makes a fine home."

"Wow, that sounds incredible. I hope I get a chance to see it."

"Well, shall we pay a visit then, Mr. Edge? I would like to head for En II as soon as possible."

"Huh...!?"

"Many mysteries lie before us: the state of the Cardianon, their mothership, and the Grigori as well."

"Ah...and we could find information on all this at En II, huh? Yeah, I suppose we can't just let any of that go without a word."

"I've entered a flight path to En II into the navigational computer. Now all I need is your permission as captain. If I may ask your cooperation, Mr. Edge?"

"Roger that, Bacchus. All right. Our next mission is to gather intelligence on En II."

We are now free to go where we please, including advancing the plot to En II.

The first time you take the ship somewhere, even just to Aeos or Lemuris (Cardianon is no longer an option), Bacchus will become a proper party member again.

At this point, you can finally take advantage of Mining Points across every world you've visited, as Bacchus is the related character. And with that, we've actually run out of harvesting point types. It's just the two in this game.

Yes, this is another Private Action period. This is the first one that will have scenes we can miss, at least in the sense we have to pick one or the other. I will still show off all of them, but some unlock Private Actions much later in the game, which would necessitate me replaying large tracts of this game to see. I think it's just the one I'll miss, and it's not very important.

Click here to die from cringe exposure.

To summarize: Welch dredges up painful animu history, Shimada is Shimada, Bacchus plays Not!Chess with Edge who defeats Bacchus and becomes Galactic Not!Chess Champion, Edge and Faize duel to the pain, Reimi is the subject of a shower scene, Bacchus demonstrates the difficulties of his own maintenance, something awful happens during one of Welch's pranks, then Lymle forces Edge to do "nappy time", we learn something about Lemuris folklore, and Edge dredges up an embarrassing memory for Reimi.

As usual, we must head to the flight deck to see what happens next.

Click here to get sucked into a black hole.

Now Playing - Event Horizon

"At this strength...it's a black hole!"

"The current situation is everything, Mr. Faize. Allow me, then, to explain the phenomenon of black holes appearing in deep space, along with my own theories about the matter."

"Give me 30 seconds! I'm inputting the gravity changes for emergency warp."

"Edge, look!"

That's Lymle talking.

"Is that...the black hole!?"

"I've lost control of the Calnus!"

"Reimi!"

"Too late! We don't make it!"

The Calnus is sucked in...

...and emerges somewhere oddly familiar.

Join me next time, where we find out what the hell we're doing on Earth.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Apr 25, 2023

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
:cripes:

Well, you did warn us.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I saw the first Reimi/Edge shower poo poo way back when and I always figured he was looking for something and she was freaking the gently caress out over a little misunderstanding. Knowing he's just being a creep kind of redeems this scene, but that's definitely one of the things I had in mind when people talk about this game's cringe.

Though I also did see that dumbfuck Lymle scene before, and hoped it would come later. Two bits of cringe this close? The CIA could take lessons from Tri-Ace.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 28, 2023

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Oh I forgot about this cringe, or at least thought it was later.... the cringe I was thinking of is coming soon.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
All this and there is no locked door for the toilet.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Shitenshi posted:

I saw the first Reimi/Edge shower poo poo way back when and I always figured he was looking for something and she was freaking the gently caress out over a little misunderstanding.

I'm sorry to inform you, but there is another shower scene in this game, and it's exactly as you described.

Iolite
May 9, 2009
Star Ocean The Last Hope: Full stupid ahead! It's a cringe marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Jesus Christ