Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I was loving around with ChatGPT on lunch and accidentally reinvented the QF 17 Pdr, if anyone wants to get in on the grift for real and bid on a contract:

no loving way. as someone who’s seen this poo poo and don’t ask why or where, this would pass as a submission easily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

I was loving around with ChatGPT on lunch and accidentally reinvented the QF 17 Pdr, if anyone wants to get in on the grift for real and bid on a contract:

Put this thing on a m113 and we have a new war thunder premium in the making.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isentropy posted:

no loving way. as someone who’s seen this poo poo and don’t ask why or where, this would pass as a submission easily

I'm 99.99% sure people in government have been using it to write their work emails, because it even knows how to do government of Canada signature blocks.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lmao we need apfds to protect our artillery against the gaz tigr and btr

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I mean yeah, if you're sending tanks to a tank war you probably should include some AP ammo

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/AcqTalk/status/1625218247292231695

i guess china just has to do the devious plan of waiting patiently to win ww3

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/AcqTalk/status/1625218247292231695

i guess china just has to do the devious plan of waiting patiently to win ww3

lol at the y-axis

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So even when the f15 was brand new about 15% of them couldn't fly...?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The F-35 was designed to maintain lucrative parts and labor contracts for Lockheed, and in this role it is second to none. Truly world-class money slusher.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

even new aircraft need maintenance, this is how much of the fleet can fly at a given moment

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

skooma512 posted:

The F-35 was designed to maintain lucrative parts and labor contracts for Lockheed, and in this role it is second to none. Truly world-class money slusher.

You say that but people seem to forget how Turkey managed to get kicked out of the F-35 program and forced everyone to redo the supply chain.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The idea was that it was supposed to be amortized and everyone would get a cut and keep their aviation industries alive by building at least subassemblies under licence like with the F-104 and F-86. However, Lockheed put an end to that on both counts while the US cranked up diplomatic pressure for everyone else to buy it anyways.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Frosted Flake posted:

The idea was that it was supposed to be amortized and everyone would get a cut and keep their aviation industries alive by building at least subassemblies under licence like with the F-104 and F-86. However, Lockheed put an end to that on both counts while the US cranked up diplomatic pressure for everyone else to buy it anyways.

"i cant believe america sold me out again" infinite redux

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

it's "normal" for any given unit of planes to be at less-than-100% readiness. The issue here is that the F-35 is atrocious at its readiness metrics even given that.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Slavvy posted:

yeah

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's "normal" for any given unit of planes to be at less-than-100% readiness. The issue here is that the F-35 is atrocious at its readiness metrics even given that.

isnt this true of like everything in the military? stuff breaks or just needs to go offline for routine maintenance, guys get sick or hurt, etc. in any large organization you aren't ever going to be at 100% capacity.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt posted:

isnt this true of like everything in the military? stuff breaks or just needs to go offline for routine maintenance, guys get sick or hurt, etc. in any large organization you aren't ever going to be at 100% capacity.

Yes

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Frosted Flake posted:

yes, the F-104 program was highly successful at getting German pilots to crash into their own neighborhoods

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

lobster shirt posted:

IDK how the military accounts for things, but you should in theory be able to have squadrons at 100% readiness without having all the planes working because there should be spares, especially for machines that need maintenance after every time they are used. LOL at that F-35 readiness rate though. I've see people in comments sections saying all of NATO should be buying the F-35, it's performs better and is cheaper to maintain than the Eurofighter, Rafale, or Gripen, and that just does not seem possible.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

IDK how the military accounts for things, but you should in theory be able to have squadrons at 100% readiness without having all the planes working because there should be spares, especially for machines that need maintenance after every time they are used.

When aircraft are having spares installed or are down for scheduled maintenance, that counts negatively against a 100% readiness rating. So when an airplane (or generator or tank or whatever) hasn't "broken" at all, but it has come due for a 12 hour or 3 day or 4 week period of maintenance, that maintenance time counts against its availability.

If a piece of equipment is due for scheduled services based on miles or hours or whatever unit of use, the equipment is considered "non-mission capable" due to being due for the scheduled service. One way to get around that is doing your services early or precisely on-time, but you still typically count the downtime where the equipment was taken apart for service as non-available, even if it doesn't go on an unexpected failure type report, etc.

It's double-edged. A generator that works flawlessly, but has to come down for 8 hours every 100 hours is "unavaiable" 8% of the time. But it also stops someone from saying that equipment works 100% of the time by saying that spending weeks at a time in a depot "on schedule" simply doesn't count against availability.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

IDK how the military accounts for things, but you should in theory be able to have squadrons at 100% readiness without having all the planes working because there should be spares, especially for machines that need maintenance after every time they are used. LOL at that F-35 readiness rate though. I've see people in comments sections saying all of NATO should be buying the F-35, it's performs better and is cheaper to maintain than the Eurofighter, Rafale, or Gripen, and that just does not seem possible.

The USA and America's worst enemies both agree that anybody allied with the USA should replace their functional aircraft with as many F-35s as possible

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

no matter how many spares you have the airframe has to be grounded and inspected at intervals and that takes time, you can approach but never reach 100%, and the expectations put on military aircraft (they have to sacrifice ease of maintenance for dumb poo poo like weapons and countermeasures that take longer to inspect) mean they'll never be as good as civilian aircraft

ofc, the f-35 is as far from that ideal as possible because capitalism optimizes for worst possible maintenance nightmare as that means more dollars

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
making planes hard to maintain is an intended MIC grift feature

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

World War Gay

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The F-35A was suppose to be the "good one" in terms of readiness as well, while the F-35B and F-35C are significantly worse. It is perhaps why the Navy really doesn't want more of them.

That said, as the US forces the F-35a on its allies it is going to eventually cause a readiness gap to the point even if they start pooling aircraft together there isn't going to be enough for future major operations. Remember too, the F-15e has seen combat at a certain point, and the F-22 is known for having its parts supply chain basically not existing (and its declining readiness is probably due to cannibalization of existing airframes).

The Lock-Mart has build 890 F-35s in total, raw production isn't that much of an issue (although it is over the space of 8-9 years), but yeah actually maintaining that fleet especially as it continues to swell in size is going to be the problem.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:39 on Mar 25, 2023

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

The F-35A was suppose to be the "good one" in terms of readiness as well, while the F-35B and F-35C are significantly worse. It is perhaps why the Navy really doesn't want more of them.

That said, as the US forces the F-35a on its allies it is going to eventually cause a readiness gap to the point even if they start pooling aircraft together there isn't going to be enough for future major operations. Remember too, the F-15e has seen combat at a certain point, and the F-22 is known for having its parts supply chain basically not existing (and its declining readiness is probably due to cannibalization of existing airframes).

The Lock-Mart has build 890 F-35s in total, raw production isn't that much of an issue (although it is over the space of 8-9 years), but yeah actually maintaining that fleet especially as it continues to swell in size is going to be the problem.

turkiye knows what's up

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Palladium posted:

The planes for Ukraine are mainly a pain to maintain

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, another thing from that report is just how little the F-35/F-22 are also being flown, a little more than just half that of the F-15, and the F-35C versus the F-18 is similar. The F-35b is only being flown about 8 hours a month which is honestly worse than the Harrier looking at a similar age of the aircraft.

The full mission availability for the F-35b/c is still around 20%.

The issue is both the maintenance of the jets, but also that so few are often available (along with other factors) that pilots don't get flight time on what what is an advanced aircraft.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Raw Flight Time can be misleading as well. For a while, F-15E squadrons were getting more flight time than anyone, but flying a 5-8 hour missions every other day and zero sim time burning holes in the sky over Syria or Northern Iraq in case ISIS shows up is less useful for major combat training than 6-10 hours of live flight time per month plus training and sim where the flights are training high end conflict and a variety of missions.

Yeah, the F-15E crews will be the most practiced in stuff like takeoff, landing, and insurgency-level CAS, but they might be LESS capable when it comes to advanced A2A combat training or SEAD/DEAD or long-range strike compared to crews getting less hours, but training instead for high end combat. F-15E squadrons still deploy to the middle east, but a lot of the focus over the last couple years has been getting them back into training the kind of skills required for a Pacific conflict.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i can't believe the silly russians are using 40 year old tank designs, what savages. what imbeciles. literal children wearing their dad's suits

*uses B52s to harass russia, oblivious to how ironic it is*

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Palladium posted:

Its insane, you go inside a small wing that has lilke 3 helis used only to ferry the academies generals around and there are like 8 contractors there to service them full time.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Its insane, you go inside a small wing that has lilke 3 helis used only to ferry the academies generals around and there are like 8 contractors there to service them full time.

The VIP squadron here has come under fire more than once for officers playing grabass with stewards and treating flights like an open bar. Despite that reputation and relative inactivity, it still has contractors “working” there and constant lobbying from Bombardier for the government to buy new business jets.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, the F-15E crews will be the most practiced in stuff like takeoff, landing, and insurgency-level CAS, but they might be LESS capable when it comes to advanced A2A combat training or SEAD/DEAD or long-range strike compared to crews getting less hours, but training instead for high end combat. F-15E squadrons still deploy to the middle east, but a lot of the focus over the last couple years has been getting them back into training the kind of skills required for a Pacific conflict.

I predict the F-35 crews will get quite a lot of practice at being DEAD

SteepPollTax
Mar 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Frosted Flake posted:

The VIP squadron here has come under fire more than once for officers playing grabass with stewards and treating flights like an open bar. Despite that reputation and relative inactivity, it still has contractors “working” there and constant lobbying from Bombardier for the government to buy new business jets.
sounds like california is getting some new residents today :angel:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Mister Bates posted:

I predict the F-35 crews will get quite a lot of practice at being DEAD

Honestly, looking at the numbers, I don’t know if they are going to sent into combat in the first place.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Practice at surviving ejection while wearing a 40lb helmet

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mlmp08 posted:

Raw Flight Time can be misleading as well. For a while, F-15E squadrons were getting more flight time than anyone, but flying a 5-8 hour missions every other day and zero sim time burning holes in the sky over Syria or Northern Iraq in case ISIS shows up is less useful for major combat training than 6-10 hours of live flight time per month plus training and sim where the flights are training high end conflict and a variety of missions.

the E is the version kitted out for ground attack so maybe being less capable at air-to-air than F-15C pilots isn't such a big deal

or do they just use F-15Es for everything these days?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Ardennes posted:

Honestly, looking at the numbers, I don’t know if they are going to sent into combat in the first place.

If they do I imagine they'll be flying till they literally fall out of the sky. Just sending dudes on non-nuclear one way missions

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Filthy Hans posted:

the E is the version kitted out for ground attack so maybe being less capable at air-to-air than F-15C pilots isn't such a big deal

or do they just use F-15Es for everything these days?

The F-15Cs are being retired (they're old) and replaced by a mix of F-15EXs and F-35s. F-15Es do air to air as a secondary role, but they have been put on CAP missions before just cause they're around, and they've shot down Iranian drones in Iraq and Syria before. Not all Es have the newer AESAs, but those that do have considerable capability between modern radars and AMRAAMs. The F-15EX will be an F-15 that essentially can do all the F-15C missions and drat near all of the F-15E missions, but with more hardpoints and some improved systems. The only real thing the F-15EX lacks by design is that they cannot carry nuclear weapons, while select F-15Es can. With the new hardpoints, the EX can carry some absurd (and probably terribly inefficient) loads like 12 air to air missiles while still carrying a few cruise missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What you're telling me is that the Americans built the f35 whereas the Russians would've just built the f15ex