Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
New VN from Square Enix just dropped, on Steam and on Switch.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2106840/PARANORMASIGHT_The_Seven_Mysteries_of_Honjo/

Seems to be a horror VN where you steer multiple characters around? Haven't had the time to play it myself, but a friend seemed to like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Inadequately posted:

New VN from Square Enix just dropped, on Steam and on Switch.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2106840/PARANORMASIGHT_The_Seven_Mysteries_of_Honjo/

Seems to be a horror VN where you steer multiple characters around? Haven't had the time to play it myself, but a friend seemed to like it.

Yea just finished and it’s really good. An engaging horror/mystery yarn melding fact and fiction with interesting characters, great plot twists, and some clever gameplay mechanics. Took me around 11 hours. Considering it’s only 15 bucks I’d say it’s worth picking up.

Currently has an 86 on Metacritic.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 11, 2023

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
I've just finished the first chapter and I love the art style - this mix of 2d and 3d, restricted camera positions and heavy post-processing. It's got that same nice solid feeling medium-fidelity but meticulously planned 3d art that the 3DS phoenix wright games had.

Also it is shocking how effectively they managed to integrate jump-scares into a visual novel, I don't think I've ever been legit jumpscared by one before.

Did get stuck for far too long on the meta "set voices to zero in the settings" solution late in chapter 1. Was stuck in that loop for far too long until the storyteller basically said "check this bit of the manual dummy"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I’m just past the phone booth bit and gonna do some spoilerific speculation: I bet it turns out the killer dude just wants the resurrection ritual so he can revive the girl he killed and then dismember her again

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just played through the Process of Elimination demo, seems like a pretty neat halfway point between Danganronpa and the Zero Escape games.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Sakurazuka posted:

Just played through the Process of Elimination demo, seems like a pretty neat halfway point between Danganronpa and the Zero Escape games.

Hell yeah thanks for reminding me the demo is out. the sidekick looked cute

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Paranormasight, by Square Enix and proudly released with the full co-operation and support of the Sumida City Tourism Division, the local museum, the tourist association, and the local community is pretty dang good.

It's easily a one or two evening game, probably why it's $20 but it's a good mystery that does some fun metagame stuff though it doesn't run wild with it like Umineko or some poo poo. There's some horror/violence in it, including descriptions of violence against kids (in like, a crime show sort of way) so just be aware if you're really repelled by that kind of thing

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I'm excited for the Ghost Trick port!

Sakurazuka posted:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Paranormasight, by Square Enix and proudly released with the full co-operation and support of the Sumida City Tourism Division, the local museum, the tourist association, and the local community is pretty dang good.

I'm also excited to play both of these!

:dance:

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Chiming in to say that Paranormasight is great so far and does some neat things with game mechanics that I haven't seen before. Feels a lot like the Zero Escape games in structure but the tone is a bit more grounded.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There's some horror/violence in it, including descriptions of violence against kids (in like, a crime show sort of way) so just be aware if you're really repelled by that kind of thing

As well as this it does also have a few jump scares, which goes with the spooky territory but I know some people are allergic to them

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Combine playing a visual novel with the thrills of doing your 2022 tax returns. Date anime girls who help prepare your actual tax returns

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2363850/Tax_Heaven_3000/

I'm sure providing your financial information is completely safe ;)

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 22, 2023

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

theblackw0lf posted:

Combine playing a visual novel with the thrills of doing your 2022 tax returns. Date anime girls who help prepare your actual tax returns

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2363850/Tax_Heaven_3000/

By MSCHF, huh?

"In its most blatant middle finger to the establishment, MSCHF created a shell restaurant called "The Blue Donkey", where employees who pay for meals using company money or corporate perks could pretend to order "food" using an online delivery app, like Grubhub or Seamless. In actuality, those "food" orders were political donations to candidates with anti-corporate policies. Blue Donkey lasted only hours before it was shut down."

Edit:

fair

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

John Lee posted:

By MSCHF, huh?

"In its most blatant middle finger to the establishment, MSCHF created a shell restaurant called "The Blue Donkey", where employees who pay for meals using company money or corporate perks could pretend to order "food" using an online delivery app, like Grubhub or Seamless. In actuality, those "food" orders were political donations to candidates with anti-corporate policies. Blue Donkey lasted only hours before it was shut down."

Edit:

fair

Definitely not surprised.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Played like 5 minutes of Paranormasight and it has the best presentation of any VN I've ever played.

A lot of work went into making this look and play amazing. Sets the bar high for anything to come after. I hope it's a success so they keep on making them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
something i had my eye on for a while now has finally been released, Misericorde
its murder mystery novel starring an anchoress. less than 8 bucks right now with the release discount

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
anchoresses are having a pop culture moment. nobody can get enough of em.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's a hankerin' for some anchorin'

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Man Misericorde is a great companion piece to Pentiment.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I'm glad that "hi-res monochrome adventure game" is an aesthetic now. Big 80s Mac gaming nostalgia.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Misericorde is pretty good so far, would recommend

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Sat down and completed Paranormasight over the weekend, great game. There were one or two puzzles that were a little obtuse, but for the most part the solution to just about anything can be easily figured out if you've been paying any attention to the story. The lack of voice acting was a bit of a shame but not a huge dealbreaker, though if this does well enough I wonder if they'll release a deluxe version with VA sometime down the line.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Finally manage to find the time to start reading Misericorde. Enjoyed my time with it so far, feels like the halfway point between Umineko and Pentiment in a lot of ways. Hedwig is an excellent protagonist. I wasn't expecting her to be a total mess going into this and its really endearing. Between the music, the characters, and the atmosphere this is already feels like its shaping up to be a cult classic that you won't want to sleep on. Maybe my tune will change deeper in, but I doubt it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

dotg.ogg

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Finished volume 1 of Misericorde. Seems to be around the length of an earlier question arc chapter. Still processing all of it but safe to say I loved it and I would put it in the same tier as my favorites in medium, though I am a mark for the setting and genre in a lot of ways. It is difficult to compare to other visual novels since it is only the first volume, but I would definitely put it above Umineko's first chapter. Astonishing this is a "solo project", which I am only putting in quotes because the author themself does in the credits (in thanks to anyone who took the stock photos for video they used).

Anyway more people play the game because I want to discuss it. Here are some general thoughts and mystery specific ones, spoilers~
(a lot of this is rambling, im sorry i am excited)

• I love Hedwig. She can be frustrating since she is a poor detective, but is a delightful viewpoint otherwise. She is a great foil to the other women. She is just such a mess, in a variety of ways.
  • Her self written character profile being Matthew 26:52... ha ha... tugs collar
  • I like that, while there are vibes everywhere, the closest confirmation of a lesbian relationship is the old ladies.
  • Soup's line about "manly, selfish sodomites" could just be a heated throwaway insult but I wonder if one of the reasons for her general hands off approach—which we find out isn't a recent thing—has a homophobic undercurrent to it
  • The music is so good christ. There is a 104 tracks in this thing and this is only volume 1.
  • Hedwig has moments of athleticism that seem out of place with her prior living conditions. One is the sword being light, which of course also just plays into a larger thematic thing so could be easy to discount. But then you also have the bit with her jump from the wagon. Even her night run that she collapse from, she did ran the entire way.

There are some general guesses at the larger mystery that are easy to make. Our mysterious prologue wannabe king is hiding at the monastery and Scooby Doo poo poo is being done to keep this hidden. Hedwig's area is where he has been keeping low, since it doesn't get much foot traffic anyway. This could lead one to believe Catherine is killed because she ends up discovering this because of her more frequent trips. This is obviously a red herring but still sets some stakes. Also leads one to wonder why the bishop allows the investigation if he knows what is going on in this front.

Another easy to arrive at motive is the letters. The generous reading of Catherine suggests she didn't gave Hedwig the prayers to lighten her workload. And as Chronicler she already dealt with recording correspondences so its easy to see how she could arrive at the justification that this could also be under her purview and take on the task herself. So she discovers something there, that reveals some truth which she then pursues and gets killed for it. This is probably same letter James thought he drop and went back to deliver. This and the death of Katherine's husband (Matthew 26:52...) suggests the conspiracy goes deeper than recent history.

I love the Medea stuff. Hedwig is going to be horrified when she realizes Catherine saw Medea in her. Women close to god(s) that modern interpretations would say are prisoners of patriarchal institutions. And Hedwig has just been filling out the role even more after Catherine's death. Revenge as freedom and all of that~ The fact that Medea gets away with it and lives means things are actually looking up for Hedwig too.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 5, 2023

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000
Judging purely by the rate of achievements unlocking I'm about halfway through so all I can say at the moment is that darcy is the best

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://twitter.com/MisericordeVn/status/1641249282002141184
already putting up volume 2 tracks on twitter...

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

There are some general guesses at the larger mystery that are easy to make. Our mysterious prologue wannabe king is hiding at the monastery and Scooby Doo poo poo is being done to keep this hidden. Hedwig's area is where he has been keeping low, since it doesn't get much foot traffic anyway. This could lead one to believe Catherine is killed because she ends up discovering this because of her more frequent trips. This is obviously a red herring but still sets some stakes. Also leads one to wonder why the bishop allows the investigation if he knows what is going on in this front.

Another easy to arrive at motive is the letters. The generous reading of Catherine suggests she didn't gave Hedwig the prayers to lighten her workload. And as Chronicler she already dealt with recording correspondences so its easy to see how she could arrive at the justification that this could also be under her purview and take on the task herself. So she discovers something there, that reveals some truth which she then pursues and gets killed for it. This is probably same letter James thought he drop and went back to deliver. This and the death of Katherine's husband (Matthew 26:52...) suggests the conspiracy goes deeper than recent history.

If I remember correctly the prologue takes place in 1483 and then the year rolls back to 1482 once it switched to Hedwig.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

If I remember correctly the prologue takes place in 1483 and then the year rolls back to 1482 once it switched to Hedwig.

Hedwig's narration is in 1483 but the prologue is likely 1482 since the mention of Berwick

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh poo poo

!!!
There is a hidden scene in the gallery. I was going through it to double check something and saw a CG i didn't remember and that is the trigger for it. I thought it was weird that they had Hedwig make a point of handing over her notes to you and it just ended up being the typical character bios and CG gallery.

e: Not going to talk about the actual scene here because people should just read it for themselves. But in case people missed it, the CG is one of Hedwig, her character design is kinda inconsistent.

Interesting to note that the images from when she first bathes are missing from the gallery. I don't know if we are suppose to read into that now there is a bit of an unreliable narrator thing going on with the gallery and we are suppose to think Hedwig kept those out because she has a bit of body issue stuff going on... or not since there are some other CGs that seem to be missing that don't have something similar stuff going on.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 5, 2023

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
Found out while putting together an itunes playlist for Misericorde that the official soundtrack listing doesn't include the main menu theme or the tracks from the hidden scene (at least I'm assuming that's what they're from? idr for sure and can't go check atm), so here's a quick upload in case anyone was looking for those:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sV0zgcIzis
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdXGZyYKUwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca2nqUWhUI8

Also of note, the music files contain a couple of duplicate tracks and one shorter version of a used track, but they don't seem to have the OST tracks "How Mysterious" or "Misericorde" anywhere, for some reason? (the latter is the theme used in the OP, which itself is present in video form, but that version is a whole minute shorter...)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Thank you, thread, for bringing Misericorde to my attention, this ABSOLUTELY looks like my poo poo. Just bought it and will start it tomorrow night. :dance:

My laptop isn't great stats-wise but it can handle basic VNs like Higurashi, etc. Is this game roughly the same, requirements-wise?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zyxyz posted:

Also of note, the music files contain a couple of duplicate tracks and one shorter version of a used track, but they don't seem to have the OST tracks "How Mysterious" or "Misericorde" anywhere, for some reason? (the latter is the theme used in the OP, which itself is present in video form, but that version is a whole minute shorter...)

Actually there is a song in the game's music player called How Mysterious! But its a different song from the bandcamp one so dunno what is going on there.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Read After Burning posted:

My laptop isn't great stats-wise but it can handle basic VNs like Higurashi, etc. Is this game roughly the same, requirements-wise?

I'm pretty sure it's running on ren'py (the menus are straight out of ren'py at least), so if you've managed to play like.. any of 98% of the VNs on itch.io you're golden.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
https://twitter.com/MisericordeVn/status/1441125040284602369
them...

https://twitter.com/MisericordeVn/status/1451703438484512774
her...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Actually there is a song in the game's music player called How Mysterious! But its a different song from the bandcamp one so dunno what is going on there.

wow, how mysterious indeed

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
anyway, i played paradise killer a bit and I might have to drop it because it was giving me insane motion sickness.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

anyway, i played paradise killer a bit and I might have to drop it because it was giving me insane motion sickness.

Oh no! Did any of the accessibility settings help?

I'm obsessed with that game, as this thread (and the horror thread) may know. :eng101:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Read After Burning posted:

Oh no! Did any of the accessibility settings help?

I'm obsessed with that game, as this thread (and the horror thread) may know. :eng101:

yeah, I used the motion sickness adjustments but god, it didnt really help that much unfortunately. I guess I can just play it in 30 mins intervals or maybe adjust the colors. Im not really sure what triggers my nausea.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Man that sucks. I dont get motion sickness from video games and after playing Paradise Killer in full I feel bad about not picking it up earlier. I hope you can get it sorted. Its a good romp!

And holy gently caress that ost. What a bop. I have a hard time putting an exact word to it. I've seen people in yt comments refer to it as Vaporwave but when I check out that genre I don't get a lot of paradise killer like tracks. It feels like it has its own unique pace. Which is both great and sad because I want more and playing the ost on repeat doesn't magically make more songs pop out! :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Mindblast posted:

And holy gently caress that ost. What a bop. I have a hard time putting an exact word to it. I've seen people in yt comments refer to it as Vaporwave but when I check out that genre I don't get a lot of paradise killer like tracks. It feels like it has its own unique pace. Which is both great and sad because I want more and playing the ost on repeat doesn't magically make more songs pop out! :mad:

YES, the OST is loving FANTASTIC. And the best part is, it's customizable with a playlist. Love a song? Put it on loop for five hours! Hate a song (you're wrong and should feel bad)? Remove it from the playlist!

Vaporwave is a huge and diverse genre, so yeah, you're gonna get a broad range of different music types. The OST is DEFINITELY heavily inspired by the city pop genre, though.