Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Who Threadglightninged 2023: Oh Hi Shark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

I learned about Big Shark by seeing the new poster elsewhere:

:lol: it's gonna be a piece of poo poo

obviously, the question is whether it will be entertaining

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

kalel posted:

probably about as much as velicopastor

missing vfx and all

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Gamera is back in animated mini series form

https://twitter.com/gamera_rebirth/status/1638707139740061697

quote:

In the summer of 1989, in the 6th grade of elementary school — Boko, Joe, and Junichi. Elementary school students’ last summer vacation was welcoming in each heart, but vague anxiety about the future. In front of such three people, the son of U.S. Forces Japan Commander, Brody appeared. The cash that the three of them saved, Brody takes away. Angry boys, to get the money back, plan a strategy. When they tried to carry out the operation, a crisis comes to the town. Monster Gyaos suddenly attacks Tokyo. Four people standing in a ruined town. When Gyaos aimed at them, a giant monster appears. Its name is Gamera. It was the beginning of “Monster Summer.” Monsters appear one after another. Gamera fights even though he is injured. And the boys witness the legend.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

gamera!!! versus... *shuffles through random folders and paperwork* uhhh gently caress. idk. five kaiju :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

kalel posted:

Judging from the trailer it's gonna be 90% boxing :shrug:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

kalel posted:

gamera!!! versus... *shuffles through random folders and paperwork* uhhh gently caress. idk. five kaiju :shrug:

Watch it be one kaiju that's just named 5 Kaiju because gently caress it, it got five heads or something.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The Room was a real lightning in a bottle situation. You can't recapture it. Wiseau hasn't been able to, skilled comedians trying to do jokes on it haven't been able to. Even the recreated footage in the Disaster Artist wasn't as weird as the original despite copying it frame for frame. It simply exists. I wouldn't even put it in the 'so bad it's good' category, since it's not so much bad as on an entirely different wavelength to every other film ever made. It came through the cracks in reality from another dimension where films are made very differently. It's so bizarre, but so incredibly consistent in how bizarre it is. No one will ever recapture that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Snowman_McK posted:

The Room was a real lightning in a bottle situation. You can't recapture it. Wiseau hasn't been able to, skilled comedians trying to do jokes on it haven't been able to. Even the recreated footage in the Disaster Artist wasn't as weird as the original despite copying it frame for frame. It simply exists. I wouldn't even put it in the 'so bad it's good' category, since it's not so much bad as on an entirely different wavelength to every other film ever made. It came through the cracks in reality from another dimension where films are made very differently. It's so bizarre, but so incredibly consistent in how bizarre it is. No one will ever recapture that.
I don't know how you successfully recreate a scene where a woman with almost no inflection says 'I have breast cancer'

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

of all the the room quotes, I have the words "well, it's official. I have breast cancer" burned into my head. the concept of announcing a horrible event with completely mundane resignation really speaks to me in tyool 2023

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It reminds me of everyone scrambling to make a dozen different Tiger King projects ignoring the fact that the only reason it got that popular is because it was the first thing to be released in its entirety when initial lockdowns hit. You can’t recreate that phenomenon even with the same exact story, which is why every single one of those projects has been cancelled.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't even say it's that but it's the simple truth that making something so bad it's good on purpose is pretty much impossible. The Room, Troll 2, Birdemic, etc all had one thing in common: a director who was completely and utterly incompetent yet so egomaniacal and sure of their own genius that they steamrolled through everyone who dared to tell them they were wrong all the way to release. Wiseau made the mistake of suddenly being "in" on the joke and trying to play up his quirks on his subsequent projects (anyone remember "The Tommy Wi-Show"?) and thus you get this.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I meant more the “lightning in a bottle” part of it. People are also much more wise to movies that are supposed to be bad versus stuff like the Room, Troll 2, etc. They can just tell now which is why none of the SyFy movies do well anymore.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It reminds me of everyone scrambling to make a dozen different Tiger King projects ignoring the fact that the only reason it got that popular is because it was the first thing to be released in its entirety when initial lockdowns hit. You can’t recreate that phenomenon even with the same exact story, which is why every single one of those projects has been cancelled.
It doesn’t help that the second season of that show was terrible

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Reading your post is when I found out there was a second season.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah lol what

Is it it a take on Oz

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Part of it was about his crazy lawyers trying to get Trump to pardon him, and how they were actually getting yelled at on J6 by QAnon nutters right before the riots happened. Then the rest of it is mostly about the other people that were featured in the last season that were not him. They also went into some more about the missing husband of Carol Baskin

There was also a spinoff about Doc Antle which was somewhat more interesting since that guy is a weirdo

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

It doesn’t help that the second season of that show was terrible

Reminds me of how the second season of Making a Murderer made me more convinced that Steven Avery really did it.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

They also went into some more about the missing husband of Carol Baskin

I'm kind of curious about this. In the first one they all but said he was snuggling drugs, so all the conspiracy poo poo came off really weird too me. What more to the story is there?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I wasn’t interested in watching a show about some white trash rear end in a top hat who abuses animals and keeps drug addicts as sex slaves. Especially when the “documentary” makers purposely cut a bunch of racism and animal abuse out to try and make him more sympathetic.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Simplex posted:

he was snuggling drugs,

I enjoyed this typo

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

I wasn’t interested in watching a show about some white trash rear end in a top hat who abuses animals and keeps drug addicts as sex slaves. Especially when the “documentary” makers purposely cut a bunch of racism and animal abuse out to try and make him more sympathetic.
I hadn't heard about that, but as shown, he's absolutely not sympathetic unless you are some kind of psycho

also people generally get more up in arms over animal abuse and there's plenty of that on the show

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
For the curious Carol Baskin's husband was apparently alive and chilling in Costa Rica the entire time.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, I loved The Vast of Night. I’m not even sure why they set it in the 50s considering it’s such a 90s conspiracy radio movie.

Also Art Bell is in the 2006 Prey video game!

I can’t believe Art Bell was never on X-Files, but he plays himself in the episode of Millennium where Spike from Buffy kidnaps Terry O’Quinn’s daughter.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Marvel Phase 6 hits another snag:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/jonathan-majors-arrested-alleged-assault-235426112.html

quote:

Jonathan Majors was arrested on Saturday morning after allegedly assaulting a woman.

TMZ reports that Majors was taken into custody around 11:00 a.m. ET, after police responded to a call for service in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. The alleged victim reportedly had visible injuries, including a laceration behind her ear and redness and marks to her face.

Majors was charged with strangulation, assault, and harassment.

“A preliminary investigation determined that a 33-year-old male was involved in a domestic dispute with a 30-year-old female,” the NYPD said in a statement. “The victim informed police she was assaulted. Officers placed the 33-year-old male into custody without incident.”

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

How so? Much like how DC already built the entire next phase around a movie heavily involving Ezra Miller they'll just keep on trucking.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

How so? Much like how DC already built the entire next phase around a movie heavily involving Ezra Miller they'll just keep on trucking.

DC may have gone ahead with their Miller movie and still plan to release it, but outside of that EM has nothing lined up. It's likely The Flash is the last time we'll ever see them in a major motion picture.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Isn't Kang's whole schtick is that he's got like a million different incarnations scattered across space-time? Plus Marvel's really been banging the multiverse drum for a while now, so it would be shockingly easy to jettison him and just cast a new actor in the role.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa crap.

don't care about Disney's bullshit but wtf majors. come on

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Robert Downey Jr. is....remaking Vertigo?

https://deadline.com/2023/03/vertig...ney-1235308636/

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Isn't Kang's whole schtick is that he's got like a million different incarnations scattered across space-time? Plus Marvel's really been banging the multiverse drum for a while now, so it would be shockingly easy to jettison him and just cast a new actor in the role.
Yes it’s more doable than with a lot of other characters

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

According to this article someone made some allegations about an actor a month ago, and later said it was Majors. Then there’s a tweet from today from another actor that says people have known Majors was an abusive sociopath for years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

High Warlord Zog posted:

DC may have gone ahead with their Miller movie and still plan to release it, but outside of that EM has nothing lined up. It's likely The Flash is the last time we'll ever see them in a major motion picture.

Yeah, just because WB/DC is doing it doesn't mean it's actually a good idea. Which should be fairly screamingly obvious by now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, just because WB/DC is doing it doesn't mean it's actually a good idea. Which should be fairly screamingly obvious by now.

At this point it should not be a surprise if WB greenlighted another Fantastic Beasts movie with Depp and Miller, stunt coordinator: Alec Baldwin.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

At this point it should not be a surprise if WB greenlighted another Fantastic Beasts movie with Depp and Miller, stunt coordinator: Alec Baldwin.

Directed by John Landis. Also a lot of helicopter footage.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Gervasius posted:

Directed by John Landis. Also a lot of helicopter footage.

Soundtrack by Drake, featuring Millie Bobby Brown.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Death, as stunt coordinator

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Executive Produced by Harvey Weinstein

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yo, does Jeremy Soule do movie scores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's not really funny, but I was watching basketball yesterday and he popped up in an Army recruitment commercial, so I thought to myself "hmm, he's probably a lovely dude"

Then I woke up to this news today.