Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

that was some outstanding sumo and i'm glad i stood up this late to watch it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

really excellent basho from start to finish! the only real downside is how many career-threatening injuries we had.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
That was a great loving time. We got in early when there weren't a ton of people there, and a very nice man sitting several seats down from us gave us a banzuke, and explained some of the basics to us. Nice to see it finish on such a nail biter.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

An absolutely brutal final day for my stable but drat wasn't that some great sumo. I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes next in May, I feel like we're going to have a few folks looking to climb their way to the top.

Akiosan
May 21, 2005

We have to first get out of this bar, then the hotel, then the city, and then the country.

What an excellent end to an exciting tournament!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What a fun end to the basho! That was a good two weeks for sure.

I'll be at two tournament days in May so I'll try to post any cool pics I snap. Kokugikan chair seating definitely isn't as intimate as Osaka so won't be as up close and personal as Ham's :monocle:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Good tournament, injuries and all. My faves mostly went kk too.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Shodai and furthermore, SHODAI

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Shodai and furthermore, SHODAI

Agreed!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Good end

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

This basho started out really bad for the Sanyaku and my team - but holy cow did they somehow manage to pull out all the stops at the end and turn things around. Proud of all my boys - including the ones who didn't end up on my team this time. Very good basho, very satisfied. If you don't watch Juryo normally, it was excellent as well.

Juryo spoiler re Asanoyama and Ochiai: I haven't seen it in any of the recaps, but Asanoyama smiling at Ochiai picking him back up was really really good.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Day 15: Very good day for my boys overall; as a long-time Kiribayama believer, I'm super pumped for him finally pulling off the yusho. Only bummers were Ryuden managing to squeak out a second win, and loving Shodai :argh:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Gonna laugh so hard when the next ozeki ends up being Shodai.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Khizan posted:

Gonna laugh so hard when the next ozeki ends up being Shodai.

I don't think that is likely-- he's too far out. Kiribayama needs what, one more strong performance to meet the accepted standard? Two if his basho as komusubi doesn't count.

But yes, it would be rather funny to see Shodai pull off that particular coup.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i have to wait for may for more sumo? any good amateur stuff likely to take place between now and then?

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

If you're following MidnightSumo on Twitch, there'll be a bunch of old sumo and amateur events running on there on the weekends.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

Just saw Asanoyama vs Ochiai on Sumo Prime Time and drat, the thread wasn't kidding, that was a really good match.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
now that we're sufficently far out that it's not really a spoiler, here's Kiribayama's reaction as the mono-ii judgement is read out

https://i.imgur.com/J7slMih.mp4
:unsmith:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Poor Midorifuji. I can't think of a more disappointing & frustrating way to have a 10-5 basho.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was half expecting them to call a torinaoshi despite there being a footprint on Daieisho’s hand :lol:

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

some kinda jackal posted:

I was half expecting them to call a torinaoshi despite there being a footprint on Daieisho’s hand :lol:

watching slow mo it legit looked like Kiribayama stepped there deliberately just to make really sure

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
Gutted for my boy Midorifuji losing the last 5 days but an excellent basho throughout.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Welp, I think I got a MK if I calculated right. I was sleeping on kiribayama but drat.

The real question is, will they overpromote Kiribayama to Ozeki?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
im the new ozeki

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Welp, I think I got a MK if I calculated right. I was sleeping on kiribayama but drat.

The real question is, will they overpromote Kiribayama to Ozeki?

This tweet points to no, though just 10 wins should clinch Ozeki for him for July: https://twitter.com/patriciajaydee/status/1640152884489883651?s=20

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Is there a limit to the number of active ozeki?

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Theoretically 4 guys have a shot at 33/3.

Kiri is at 23 in the last 2
Daiesho is at 22
Wakamotoharu is at 20
Hosho is at 18

If Taka can't come back, I guess it becomes closest wins between the 4.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Fearless posted:

Is there a limit to the number of active ozeki?

Nope, has to be a minimum of two, but no max.

There were three ozeki this time last year.

Edit: There are probably practical and perhaps mathematical limits...

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 27, 2023

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

NuclearPotato posted:

This tweet points to no, though just 10 wins should clinch Ozeki for him for July: https://twitter.com/patriciajaydee/status/1640152884489883651?s=20

With 11-4 and 12-3 records of the last two bashos you'd feel Kiribayama would be very hard done by if he didn't get promoted from 10 wins. With 11 wins in the next basho Daieisho would have the 33 wins from 3 bashos that they traditionally look for for an Ozeki but one of these was outside the san'yaku ranks so maybe the JSA are determined that a Yokozuna/Ozeki-less basho will not happen again.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Most simultaneous Ozeki was 6 in 2012 which just lasted for 3 basho.

Hakuho was lone Yokozuna with Harumafuji, Kisenosato, Kotoshogiku, Kotoosho and Baruto. Kakuryu joined them to make 6.

Harumafuji then went on his Yoko and Baruto got hurt to drop directly from 6 to 4.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

If you want to be traditional about it, from Nagoya 2015 to Hatsu 2017 we had 7 ozeki, with Hakuho, Kakuryu, and Harumafuji merely having a license to perform a special dohyo-iri.

BTW, Fantasy results coming tonight, yesterday I had to buy a car and it wiped me out.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I find it very funny that Daieisho lost the tourney twice in almost the exact same way. Just saying.

Sumo was fantastic and I hope that everyone had a fun time watching it. :)

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Ice Phisherman posted:

I find it very funny that Daieisho lost the tourney twice in almost the exact same way. Just saying.

Sumo was fantastic and I hope that everyone had a fun time watching it. :)

:same:

Poor Daiesho, it's like he thought the answer was "do the same, only harder". Didn't get him the yusho but it could get him Ozeki.

Great tournament, now the cold long wait til May :manning:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Since there are no spoilers anymore: what was with the two rikishi from lower ranks in the juryo division on the last day? And why didn't the Yokozuna have a match?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Ham Equity posted:

Since there are no spoilers anymore: what was with the two rikishi from lower ranks in the juryo division on the last day? And why didn't the Yokozuna have a match?

Well, as for the Makushita rikishi coming up to Juryo

Brut posted:

Yeah, since everyone in the top 2 divisions fights every day, if there's an uneven number of people someone comes up, that being said...I'm looking at the Absent Rikishi page and 4 Makuuchi rikishi are absent, and none from Juryo so...I'm not actually sure why they brought 2 people up from Makushita, weird. There are no Juryo-Makuuchi exchange bouts today so it's not a cascade effect of some sort, I guess they couldn't figure out a way to build today's torikumi while having all the Juryo guys fight each other, there's restrictions on wrestlers from the same stable being not allowed to fight eachother so that might have something to do with it, someone more knowledgeable could probably do a deeper analysis on what's going on with this though.

So normally it's just one at a time as needed but on the final day:

Apraxin posted:

final day more than any other is a grab bag of match-ups, especially as a lot of the rikishi with similar records will have already fought each other earlier in the basho. the Juryo yusho might be down to two guys who are 12-2, but they already met on day 6, so the idea is to find them an opponent from anywhere in the division who still has a real stake on the result - one of them will be matched with a guy who's 9-5 at J4 and has a makuuchi promotion riding on whether he wins or not, and the other will get a J10 who's at 7-7 and this bout will decide whether they're kachikoshi or makekoshi.

edit: also if they end up one rikishi short due to injury and the higher makushita guys who only fought 6 times have final-day fights already scheduled, they'll call up someone to fight an extra bout - in this case Tsukuhara comes up from makushita for an 8th bout and finishes with a win and a 3-5 record, which will give him a better rank next tourney than if he'd just ended with a standard 2-5.
(I removed a spoiler tag from that second quote since it's now days later)

As for the Yokozuna, Terunofuji pulled out of the September tournament to get knee surgery and has been out since then, at the time I remember reading he expects to be back likely in May but possibly even as late as July, so hopefully we'll see him next basho, if he's ready.

Brut fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Mar 28, 2023

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

:same:

Poor Daiesho, it's like he thought the answer was "do the same, only harder". Didn't get him the yusho but it could get him Ozeki.

Great tournament, now the cold long wait til May :manning:

That's why I love Daieisho. He always just pushes forward. Though he was showing some good new techniques this basho such as pushing sideways

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I feel for my boy Midorifuji with how his run ended but by god he put up the numbers. I’d like to see him go for more leg pulls, if he gets to sanyaku he’s going to need some equalizing technique given his stature

My stable started out strong but ended very poorly, mainly due to a poor showing by old man Tommy Mawashi and a less than stellar performance by Tobi. The loss of Tochinoshin left me without an anchor. Anyway, I’ll continue to practice my brand of sumo and babes

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I feel for my boy Midorifuji with how his run ended but by god he put up the numbers. I’d like to see him go for more leg pulls, if he gets to sanyaku he’s going to need some equalizing technique given his stature

My stable started out strong but ended very poorly, mainly due to a poor showing by old man Tommy Mawashi and a less than stellar performance by Tobi. The loss of Tochinoshin left me without an anchor. Anyway, I’ll continue to practice my brand of sumo and babes

Midorifuji has every reason to be proud of his showing this basho, even though it may not have ended the way he hoped. I remember being very impressed every time I saw him fight (usually against the rikishi in my stable, and they usually lost) and every time he stepped onto the dohyo he gave it his all. If he starts to really develop and round out his techniques to match his energy, he'll be a real threat to anyone he faces.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I had fun watching the tournament and the standings lists of fantasy sumo!
I feel like there is a Hakuho shaped hole in the upper ranks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

A few days late but here we are.
?
Final Results

Makuuchi
code:
56	Thauros
56	Tiny Bug Child
54.5	NuclearPotato
54	Ice Phisherman
54	Saturnine Aberrance
50.5	GoatSeeGuy
50	Teddybear
49	Marching Powder
48.5	Akiosan
44.5	Iron Chef Nex
44.5	MyChemicalImbalance
44	Banana Canada
43.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
43	Khizan
42	anakha
41.5	Fluffdaddy
41.5	Helianthus Annuus
41	Vargatron
40	LlamaTrauma
40	MalarkeyToboggan
39.5	captainblastum
39	Mode 7
36.5	bartolimu
36.5	ratmosphere
35.5	Eli949
35	Kenning
34.5	Jobbo_Fett
34.5	Netsky
33.5	pseudodragon
32.5	sivad
32	Communist Thoughts
32	Liquid Communism
31.5	Kuros
31.5	Tochiazuma
30.5	scripterror
30	Pakled
29.5	Charles Gnarwin
26	Flinger
25	Crusty Nutsack
Juryo
code:
53.5	Gaghskull
50	Fearless
49.5	Lid
49	PJ
47	Robviously
45.5	Elissimpark
43	Brut
41.5	bessantj
41.5	Dead Goon
41	Log082
41	whats for dinner
40	Beexoffel
40	QuasiQuack
40	ullerrm
39	do it on my face
39	riderchop
39	Single Tight Female
38.5	Average Lettuce
38.5	Chinook
37	rare Magic card l00k
35	Eldoop
34.5	Nativity In Black
33	Boogalo
32	Bentai
31.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
30.5	Ben Nerevarine
30	oldskool
29.5	ImplicitAssembler
26.5	Pvt. Public
26.5	Xerzes
Congratulations to...our first ever co-kozuna, Thauros and Tiny Bug Child. I went to go look up a tie-breaker, and it turned out not only did these two posters end up with the same team after all the drafting (despite Thauros not getting their first pick on every rank), but they also traded out Wakatakakage for Kiribayama on the same day. They're also the 2 top-ranked ozeki. That's far too much synchronicity for me, so they can lift the cup together. Perhaps we should start picking a juryo rikishi for tie-breaking purposes, but this hasn't happened before, so I'm not too worried about it. Also, congratulations to Gaghskull for taking the juryo yusho, with an all kachi-koshi team (except for Takakeisho, obv.).

Interestingly, Takakeisho withdrawing early dropped the high scores this basho, but didn't really drop the low scores. I'm not sure what this means, if anything. Hopefully next basho gets us another ozeki or two so we can start having more action up in the top ranks! A reminder, I won't be able to run the Natsu basho, but no matter what we'll be back for Nagoya.

On to special prizes! A refresher, these are the special prizes:

Gino-sho/Technique: No make-koshi on your team.
Kanto-sho/Fighting Spirit: Exceptional performance from a low rank, or other acknowledgement of great performance.
Shukun-sho/Outstanding Performance: Getting the highest number of accolades (i.e. kinboshi, yusho/jun-yusho, and sansho) in the field.

So, who are the awardees?

Gino-sho: With Takakeisho out, no actual all KK teams, but the following people only had a loss from Takakeisho: Everyones Favorite Poster, GoatSeeGuy, MyChemicalImbalance, NuclearPotato, Gaghskull, Lid
Kanto-sho: Gaghskull
Shukun-sho: Ice Phisherman, Saturnine Aberrance, Thauros, Tiny Bug Child

Fun basho, as usual. Frankly, a bit more than usual. At the start I was concerned about how exciting it would be, but it feels like the wheels are starting to turn towards a new generation of ozeki etc., and I hope they can keep going. Goonzuke to follow in a bit, once I have a bit of time to work it through.