Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

... the merfolk civilization... uses whale farts as currency.
:cripes: gently caress you, Holbrook.

I'm not willing to brave the archives, but was this previously established?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jun. 03, 1956)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Breadmaster posted:

I'm not willing to brave the archives, but was this previously established?

you see the thread title?

do you really wanna know?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/24/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 8/27/50

Smokey Stover 9/6/53

Everyday Movies 3/31/36

"Yes, I know about that hole in my stocking -- I meant to have worn my galoshes."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/23/41

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth, in which Hil defrosts an icicle.

Peanuts (March 27, 1976)

Miss Peach (September 9, 1989)

Cranky Shafterbean, featuring old farts at play!

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (May 26-28, 1941)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth, in which Hil defrosts an icicle.

For anyone unfamiliar with Repo!, it's a dystopian sci-fi body-horror slasher coming-of-age rock opera with strong overtones of both The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Return of the Jedi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj1-ZcKqH34

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

The real Society for Genuine Marriage (Aito Avioliitto ry) is a fundamentalist organization who claim to "distribute true and accurate information" about why only straight people should be allowed to marry, have children, adopt etc. So they are sadly not as amusing as these guys in the comic.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Bernice is such a buzzkill. When I was 19 I was super religious and even still, if I'd gone to an art thing and wound up staring at some dude's dick for an hour that would be THE topic when chatting with my friends about it after. I would not be trying to change the subject or downplay it. Hell, even now as a jaded old lady.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

luann should do an arc where every named character dies of carbon monoxide poisoning at the stupid cafe

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Powered Descent posted:

For anyone unfamiliar with Repo!, it's a dystopian sci-fi body-horror slasher coming-of-age rock opera with strong overtones of both The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Return of the Jedi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj1-ZcKqH34
It sucks. Not in a Rocky Horror sort of sucks, in a "this is actually pretty bad" sucks, but it's still a weird and wild watch with friends.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Hostile V posted:

It sucks. Not in a Rocky Horror sort of sucks, in a "this is actually pretty bad" sucks, but it's still a weird and wild watch with friends.

It's definitely one of those movies where you don't want to think about the premise or the plot too deeply. Just roll with it and soak up the weird aesthetic and the soundtrack, and you'll have a great time.

At least, that's my viewpoint. A lot of people detest this movie, so YMMV.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
It suffers a lot from being a musical with about three cast members who can sing well.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

Bernice is such a buzzkill. When I was 19 I was super religious and even still, if I'd gone to an art thing and wound up staring at some dude's dick for an hour that would be THE topic when chatting with my friends about it after. I would not be trying to change the subject or downplay it. Hell, even now as a jaded old lady.

Wasn't Luann romantically interested in Jack for about five minutes at some point? You'd think she'd have some interest in the particulars of his schlong.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Fingerpori

I basically gave up on this.
Mennä metsään = to go wrong, to become a trainwreck, to become a mess
Mennä metsään = literally "to go into the woods", "to go into the forest"
In the original, Vesa was bragging about his "holistic nature depictions". I tried to make that work with the English "trainwreck" idiom but... eeeh.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 5/28/50

Archie 11/25-27/46

Re the first panel: Kerning, Bob, kerning.

And that's it for Football Archie for now!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

Archie 11/25-27/46

That's right Veronica, teach Betty a thing or two about kissing :gay:

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Cthulhu and Girl

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Please, for the love of God, my only other prospect is Wilbur."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/23/41

Governor: "We'll just have to use the man that was mistakenly arrested as a scapegoat so our sons won't suffer any consequences!"
Scarlet: "How foolish, saying that in front of the police!"
Chief of police (taking a big bag of money from the governor): "I didn't hear nothin'."

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Wait, so is Andy a dog again? Someone posted an earlier Mark Trail where Andy was clearly a cat.

Or are their cat and dog both named Andy?

God this strip sucks.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

My heart is in my throat here, Cthulu and Girl really punched above its weight compared to the original few strips. :allears:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Wait, so is Andy a dog again? Someone posted an earlier Mark Trail where Andy was clearly a cat.

Or are their cat and dog both named Andy?

God this strip sucks.

Mark has two dogs, Sassy was the cat that became a dog that still behaves like an outdoors cat. Also this little storyline feels like Jules literally forgot or got bored of what she was doing.

Mark wants to get along with Rusty -> Cryptid Hunt -> Forget any Cryptid teasing -> Crocodile Pile -> Plea to Editor -> No Mark go to Bear Plot -> Oh no all my enemies -> This camp is dangerously lax about Bear safety -> scene missing -> Oh no all my enemies -> we're friends now and I own a dog.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Rex Morgan: "I sold some old comic books and now we're on a cruise, whee"

Funky Crankshaftbean: "I looked at some old comic books and, together with the smug guys, realized we're all one day closer to death"

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Wait. Why is the small woman a member of C.O.B.R.A.?

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Hippocrass posted:

Wait. Why is the small woman a member of C.O.B.R.A.?

C.O.B.R.A. beat G.I.Joe and took over the world, it’s what the war was about.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Powered Descent posted:

It's definitely one of those movies where you don't want to think about the premise or the plot too deeply. Just roll with it and soak up the weird aesthetic and the soundtrack, and you'll have a great time.

At least, that's my viewpoint. A lot of people detest this movie, so YMMV.

Darthemed posted:

It suffers a lot from being a musical with about three cast members who can sing well.
lmao yeah like I said it's not like good but it's a fun weird hangout movie. It's got a lot of talk-singing without clever turns of phrase, nu-goth backing music and melodrama it's perfect for theater kids who like Andrew Lloyd Webber.

You Could Throw The Folks Behind Repo! And American Murder Song The IPs of Bill Holbrook And You'd Have A Wild drat Result I'll Tell You That, Cannibalism Is Already A Strong Theme In Their Work

TAKE. THE HINT. YOU THICK FUCKS. YOU KNOW THE DEWCLAWS. YOU KNEW WHAT YOU WERE IN FOR WHEN YOU GOT SCREEN TIME. gently caress.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House, featuring the battle of the hat-heads. (September 20-22, 1923)

Toonerville Folks (November 29-December 1, 1920)

MOTHER HARDLY REALIZES WHAT A LARGE JOB SHE HANDS JIMMY when she tells him to "Keep his little brother's nose wiped."

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS: One of the worst things the patrons of the trolley have to endure is when the Skipper takes the ash pan out of the car stove to put the ashes on the rails so that the car can make the grade at Goat Hill.

NOW THAT THERE IS A PRACTICAL DEVICE TO SEND A PICTURE BY TELEGRAPH-- The next thing may be a device so that we can SEE EACH OTHER while talking over the phone.

Dok's Dippy Also-Rans (August 28, 1914)

Left to right: Sir Thomas Lipton, who (aside from being the guy on the tea box for several generations) was the most persistent challenger in the history of the America's Cup yacht race (which was absolutely not happening in 1914), very recently-ex Mexican president Victoriano Huerta, and flying boat pioneer John Cyril Porte. One of these things is not like the others.

Little Lefty (April 4-6, 1938)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 26, 2023

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Death of a Jester

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

EasyEW posted:

NOW THAT THERE IS A PRACTICAL DEVICE TO SEND A PICTURE BY TELEGRAPH-- The next thing may be a device so that we can SEE EACH OTHER while talking over the phone.

The crazy things they imagined 100 years ago.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Not bad, but they still failed to predict the Dick Pic.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 22, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

EasyEW posted:

Toonerville Folks (December 1, 1920)

This one makes me so happy, I love it

Medenmath fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 26, 2023

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Nice, his skull is shaped like his hair ...

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

Yog! Sothoth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeDMjxdOSPo&t=24s

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

That one is SO unfair...

But anyways, enough griping at a kid's comic challenge, instead let us tackle the much more cerebral Blueberry: Prescott looking exceptionally gremlin-esque in that panel, or Ringo celebrates Dia de los Muertos a little too early, or RIP Simon

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

fondue posted:

Nice, his skull is shaped like his hair ...

Likely genetic; I assume "Bumstead" is what the family's surname became when it was changed at Ellis Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pretend I posted the "it distracts from my penis-shaped head" goon edit