Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah I really like Daisuke (Kou less so but they work together). Kinda wish the game let you explore them a bit outside of those two being attached at the hip, but it's a minor quibble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just did this event where Kou calls and him/Daisuke both come to hang out at your house, and it was a very accurate depiction of "a couple guys coming to hang out in your (small) room." The MC sitting in his desk chair, Daisuke on the couch, and Kou standing.

I feel like there are a number of elements to this game that will be less familiar to younger people playing it in the present/future, like the role of TV, or phones just being "things you call people with."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Oh yeah, Kou/Daisuke are good eggs. There's particularly a night hang after the culture festival (october?) I appreciate because it's just dudes being cool instead of everything involved with the actual event.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'd have dated Daisuke in P4 if they'd let me. I was so sure his entire SL was building up to him being gay but nope, just scared of girls after rejection. Which I guess makes more sense as a Strength SL, but :v:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I remember a moment in the Daisuke SL where he was talking to his ex-girlfriend by the shoe lockers and she suddenly got all huffy and said, "I don't want him to see us talking!" and turned to look at the corner where Yu was standing and I thought there'd be some hilarious drama but then a third guy walked around past Yu and it was him that she had a crush on. Would've been kind of funny if they'd played up that confusion among the characters for a bit too.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd have dated Daisuke in P4 if they'd let me. I was so sure his entire SL was building up to him being gay but nope, just scared of girls after rejection. Which I guess makes more sense as a Strength SL, but :v:

Also makes sense because Persona games don't acknowledge being gay

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

goethe.cx posted:

Also makes sense because Persona games don't acknowledge being gay
Persona 4 is bog-standard 00s "what are you – GAY?!" and Persona 5 portrays them as predator weirdos, so it acknowledges their existence, but not worth.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Now that I wrapped up a replay of P3P, replaying P4G and I'd forgotten how many SLs the game throws at you relatively early on. It's the end of May and there are already nine daytime SLs that take up time, Kanji will be joining soon, and once I get Devil to rank 4 that's another.

Temperance is largely ignorable at least.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ever since I played P4G for the first time I've heard people don't like Temperance but I enjoyed it. It waa so sweet, down-to-earth, real people with real problems.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think it's forgotten more than disliked, most the none party Slinks feel second string.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Temperance itself isn't a bad link, but not only is it fairly easy to miss (you don't have the exclamation mark to remind you that they're available), but it's also a link that I think you have to be a bit older or in a specific situation to appreciate; 'stepmom tries to connect with her stepkid' is not a very common mindset to fall into.

Gaius Marius posted:

I think it's forgotten more than disliked, most the none party Slinks feel second string.

Ai's pretty good, Naoki's great, I have a soft spot for Daisuke. Also you gotta include Dojima and Nanako.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

what about the nurse who hooks up with the underage protagonist in an empty hospital

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

goethe.cx posted:

what about the nurse who hooks up with the underage protagonist in an empty hospital

we don't talk about that one SL

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

goethe.cx posted:

Hoo boy.

anakha fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 26, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Alder posted:

we don't talk about that one SL

It's like Ken in P3P. "Man, all the new female links are great! We don't talk about that one romance route."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You know, I talked about this not too long ago in this thread, about how I had someone who adamantly recused to accept anything untoward had happened in that S Link and I just could not find a video of it at the time because accepting her offer is the wrong choice and the video guides on YT naturally pick the choice that maxes S Link points. Guess you found what I never did.

I had to screenshot it myself and then we determined that final line at least is something added for Golden, not that it wasn't already explicit even before that.

NikkolasKing posted:

If you pick the wrong options when the Nurse hits on you, it's pretty strongly implied she and Yu do have sex. Somebody once tried to tell me no it wasn't so when I replayed Golden last year or so I took screenshots and it seems pretty blatant and undeniable

You're supposed to turn her down to get the most S Link points but it's still in the route.

Flair posted:

This cannot be -- people on a Persona thread unknowing of the Endurance Run:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5iE37INc0o&t=444s

Persona 4 in its original glory:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
that's unprofessional conduct

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If you gently caress her the world ends, so I think the message gets across

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Wait a minute that’s Level 2 Jesus what goes in for the last 8 scenes

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also since we're not talking about that one P3P social link, I just wanna grouse for a moment about the dialogue options you're presented when Ken asks why you spend so much time hanging out with him:

"I like you."
"You're a special friend."

One of these options makes you a pedophile. You have to pick one.

one time I broke my rule about not looking up dialogue prompts in a guide, because, no, I'm not taking any chances here

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

Not much actually, it's a weird s-link.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DC Murderverse posted:

The second half of the link is -alright-, but it doesn't really make up for the very :gonk: start.

The horny goes away after like 3-4 levels.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also since we're not talking about that one P3P social link, I just wanna grouse for a moment about the dialogue options you're presented when Ken asks why you spend so much time hanging out with him:

"I like you."

one time I broke my rule about not looking up dialogue prompts in a guide, because, no, I'm not taking any chances here

It's an utter shame that it pretty much overrides any opinion about the link because the friendship route is actually kinda sweet; it's a kid who desperately wants to grow up because he had to but is still really excited about Featherman and sweet things.

There's an intermittent scene between two of the ranks where you basically take Ken to the October 4th scene and he basically takes a moment and tells you: he's okay.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

"I like you."

What makes it worse is that if you have multiple romantic relations, there is a possibility that you set up Akihiko and Ken to bicker at each other:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPXg1a19eig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4tDEyfZt-U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atMNt84cq-U

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm in the final Chie S-link and she says "We'll always be friends!"

You can reply to this with "Maybe not always" lmao

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

The second half of the link is -alright-, but it doesn't really make up for the very :gonk: start.

The horny goes away after like 3-4 levels.

Sounds like a S.Link with the scenes in reverse order, lol.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'm in the final Chie S-link and she says "We'll always be friends!"

You can reply to this with "Maybe not always" lmao

I've said it before but I think I knew I loved P4 a lot fairly early on with some of the dialogue choices Yu can give, like "We're doomed" when you first get in the TV, or replying "My finger hurts..." after Teddie bites it. Our great hero.

I know a lot of fans prefer DeSu 1 but I've never heard anyone say they didn't appreciate how much more personality Bunny got with his dialogue in 2. And look at all the FeMC fans. Funny/witty dialogue options is a surefire way to make a great MC in these games.

Petiso posted:

Sounds like a S.Link with the scenes in reverse order, lol.

Well the idea is that even the game sees her loving you as wrong. She's a profoundly unhealthy, unhappy woman and as you do, you use sex as a means of escape and coping.

That's the idea. It's not a P5 romance.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 26, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I just fast forwarded through nearly the entire camp scene and the motorbike 'pick up girls' trip in June. Woof this is not gonna get better

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

NikkolasKing posted:

I've said it before but I think I knew I loved P4 a lot fairly early on with some of the dialogue choices Yu can give, like "We're doomed" when you first get in the TV, or replying "My finger hurts..." after Teddie bites it. Our great hero.

One of the options to Nanako saying "Happy New Year, big bro!" is "You already said that" lmao

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I wish I liked any of the let's pick-up chicks scenarios in 3-5, but maybe I'm in the minority here. It's trying to be funny but it's not really interesting or surprising.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Neeksy posted:

I wish I liked any of the let's pick-up chicks scenarios in 3-5, but maybe I'm in the minority here. It's trying to be funny but it's not really interesting or surprising.
You are not alone. I found them pretty annoying too.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I liked the part in 3 where you could evade Yukari by meowing like a cat, she goes "Was that a cat?" and you could answer "Yes"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Neeksy posted:

5 with the maid watch is probably the funniest and is still not actually funny.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

I liked the part in 3 where you could evade Yukari by meowing like a cat, she goes "Was that a cat?" and you could answer "Yes"

Oh, no, that's a DIFFERENT unfunny scene because Hashino has a thing about women.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm sure they have their fans somewhere, but everyone in this thread that I've seen either hates or is at best neutral about those scenes.

I've seen people mention Operation: Babe Hunt as the worst of them, which I guess refers to the male MC version of the beach scene, because the version I saw was pretty inoffensive. Akihiko almost manages to go the entire game without being a creep, but he makes sure to get his points in the hot springs scene.

The P4 scene is just bad in every way.

The P5 scene frustrates me because it ends with the girls being harassed by some creeps and telling them to gently caress off, because they'd rather hang with their friends who are more interesting. That could have been a really nice life lesson moment, but none of the guys pick up on it!

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's an utter shame that it pretty much overrides any opinion about the link because the friendship route is actually kinda sweet; it's a kid who desperately wants to grow up because he had to but is still really excited about Featherman and sweet things.

There's an intermittent scene between two of the ranks where you basically take Ken to the October 4th scene and he basically takes a moment and tells you: he's okay.

I do really like that scene, but I wish the link had more going on besides that. I feel like most of it is just talking in circles around Ken's desire to grow up and trying to hide that he's still a kid.

Flair posted:

What makes it worse is that if you have multiple romantic relations, there is a possibility that you set up Akihiko and Ken to bicker at each other:

lmao, I hate this quite a bit

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I'm sure they have their fans somewhere, but everyone in this thread that I've seen either hates or is at best neutral about those scenes.

I've seen people mention Operation: Babe Hunt as the worst of them, which I guess refers to the male MC version of the beach scene, because the version I saw was pretty inoffensive. Akihiko almost manages to go the entire game without being a creep, but he makes sure to get his points in the hot springs scene.

Yeah, the Male MC beach scene is the worst by far.

After the requisite "Look at the girls in their bikinis!!!!" scene which always sucks, Junpei wants to pick up girls on the beach and start "Operation Babe Hunt". Its only saving grace is that the dungeon music starts playing at that point. The first part is relatively harmless actually, Junpei, Akihiko and MC try to pick up girls and get shot down because they're awkward highschoolers. If that was the only thing that happened, the scene would be completely fine. Sadly the guys then hit on an older woman who is receptive and wants to take them back to her hotel room but OMG THERE'S A BEARD HAIR IN HER FACE HAHA DO YOU GET IT SHE HAS A PENIS THIS IS FUNNY!

(It's not.)

The guys then try to hit on Aigis, who is a robot and does not understand it. This part is fine again. Honestly, if it was the guys getting shot down repeatedly and then hitting on Aigis, it would be completely fine, but they just really had to add some random transphobia in there.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ah, yeah, the FeMC does basically exactly that, cut out the middle scene because I definitely haven't seen it. Also the protagonist doesn't participate and goes for a walk in the woods instead. At the end, after you meet Aigis, Akihiko goes "ohh, so that's how it is. We never stood a chance; you weren't even playing, but you won our game. Junpei and I owe you dinner sometime," which (sadly) may be one of the most LGBT-friendly lines in the whole series.

It does have the requisite BIKINIS HUBBA HUBBA scene which I'd gleefully repressed, but still, least offensive award.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 26, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There's a scene in P5S where you and the guys overhear the girls talking in the bath... but it thankfully passes without anything happening (and you can even compliment Ryuji on his abs, which is funny). Which is, sadly, probably the best implementation of a bath scene in modern Persona games (other than not having it at all).

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's a scene in P5S where you and the guys overhear the girls talking in the bath... but it thankfully passes without anything happening (and you can even compliment Ryuji on his abs, which is funny). Which is, sadly, probably the best implementation of a bath scene in modern Persona games (other than not having it at all).

Then they play the trope straight a few hours later. :suicide:

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

anakha posted:

Then they play the trope straight a few hours later. :suicide:

That's such a mean bait and switch. You really do think they've taken the high road and broken the curse of tired anime tropes, but then no we have to get the fist of justice.

I do have a soft spot for Operation Maidwatch. It sucks for Kawakami but the immediate moment when Ryuji and Mishima are confronted with the reality of the maid they were so hyped for actually being at the door and just instantly bailing out the window is pretty funny.

As another random observation, it's kind of bad that Ann's events are so focused on Shiho, like you're having a romantic beach date in Hawaii and that's still all she talks about, but I love the lategame moment where everyone's having a crisis of faith and needs to be walked back through their character development to rediscover the will to fight, but for Ann you just say, "What about Shiho?" and she's instantly back on board. It's kind of the same for me, any time someone says, "People shouldn't rely on the Phantom Thieves!" or "Do we have the right to change people's hearts?" I just remember the rapist teacher who made a girl try to commit suicide and was only stopped by Phantom Thief methods and all doubt vanishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Ken makes me so sad because girl P3 is unironically my favorite of the games and his platonic S-Link is so sweet. Just completely self-immolates by having an option to make it gross.

There is only one romantic option in P3 and it's Shinjiro. No further questions.