Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
did proust go to the moon?

because tintin went to the moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

smh if you didnt read the sequel a la recherches du lunes perdu wherein he discovers that being on the moon sucks and its much better to be on earth

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Tree Goat posted:

did proust go to the moon?

because tintin went to the moon

didn’t know tintin was a crypto currency

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ulvir posted:

didn’t know tintin was a crypto currency

Spent more time in scroobius Eastern Eruropean countries than Andrew Tate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've been reading Edward Lear on the bog, and for some loving reason this picture of the daddy long legs in a boat just broked me:

I mean yeah that's probably how his legs would go in the breeze lol.

Lmao.

(My RSI flared up so I'm on Tramadol.)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Tree Goat posted:

ideally you should have learned the divine tongue that was taken from us in the chaos of babel and read the akashic records, op

the akashic records are a modern fabrication of theosophists, imo the root concept can be at least partly traced back to occult stoicism. The idea of an ancient & correct wisdom, which is sealed within language and can be uncovered, and the unseen order of correspondence relationships are some things they were big into i guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx1av438mLY

so then look at it from the other side, what the gently caress is your life like where you are the first person to think of things like this and be that guy who invented it

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

pretty irresponsible to attempt to dissuade people from learning the divine tongue in which all knowledge, both exoteric and occult, is recorded

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Needing to be divine tongued so u can utter some primeval truths is probably not book barn materiel & iirc dpph was closed long before I ever stopped lurking

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

CestMoi posted:

pretty irresponsible to attempt to dissuade people from learning the divine tongue in which all knowledge, both exoteric and occult, is recorded

But enough about Finnish.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

lol

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

drat, the book depository is closing down. Now I have to resort to using....amazon:smith:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Alhazred posted:

drat, the book depository is closing down. Now I have to resort to using....amazon:smith:

Huge difference

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Alhazred posted:

I've decided to just order directly from publishers if I buy english works online at this point. all the good ones ship internationally

MisterBear
Aug 16, 2013
Book buddies, please can I request a discord link? The last one seems to have sadly expired :(

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MisterBear posted:

Book buddies, please can I request a discord link? The last one seems to have sadly expired :(

https://discord.gg/5hVdU9en

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
I just can't shift from the forum to discord paradigm, here or anywhere else.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

branedotorg posted:

I just can't shift from the forum to discord paradigm, here or anywhere else.

Maybe because Discord sucks at a fundamental level?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Alhazred posted:

So they bought bookdepo to close it or it just wasn't profitable for amazon?

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

The gluttonous pseudo-rainforest acquired (re-consumed?) book depository back in 2011 so I think that it's been a bit too long to claim that the purchase was only to close it down as a competitor; I think it's just a mix of the massive cost-slashing measures that most of the big tech companies are currently doing in the wake of the silicon valley bank failure and trying to claw back as much operating expenses as possible to keep some liquidity. It's poo poo, but it's what the world rewards at the moment I guess.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Amazon is very skilled at taking anything and running it to its bare minimum of functionality. Every stereotype of mismanagement and bureaucracy and grinding pointless harm runs tenfold for Amazon. Even meritorious functions don't persist in such a caustic environment.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m mad at how much they destroyed comixology. It’s not that the original site was great, but it was so much better than amazon.com.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So I don't post here much, but following the Let's Read Animorphs thread's conclusion, I was wondering if there would be any interest for a similar thread on The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander? Like Animorphs, it's a series I was very fond of reading as a young'un, and I think it's a very charming Coming of Age tale, but it's a lot older (first published in the sixties), and I have no idea if these sorts of things need mod clearance, hence the interest check.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Wahad posted:

So I don't post here much, but following the Let's Read Animorphs thread's conclusion, I was wondering if there would be any interest for a similar thread on The Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander? Like Animorphs, it's a series I was very fond of reading as a young'un, and I think it's a very charming Coming of Age tale, but it's a lot older (first published in the sixties), and I have no idea if these sorts of things need mod clearance, hence the interest check.

:justpost:

I have a copy of The Castle of Llyr on my shelf, and recall really enjoying it a very, very long time ago (although I remember sweet gently caress all about it now)! And I have no idea why I didn't continue with the series. Probably a money thing? IDK.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wahad posted:

Please ! Everyone would love that! Go right ahead!

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Alright, sweet. I'll see about having a thread up by Saturday, then.

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019
Already expired, would appreciate a new invite link ty

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

zhuge liang posted:

Already expired, would appreciate a new invite link ty

https://discord.gg/JAGX27VZ

eta: links expire in a week. I had a permanent link in the past but HA prefers them expire fwiw

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019

Bilirubin posted:

https://discord.gg/JAGX27VZ

eta: links expire in a week. I had a permanent link in the past but HA prefers them expire fwiw

:tipshat:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Wahad posted:

prydain was my hipster book series when everyone was doing Harry Potter so I'd love to follow along.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
Following the encouragement, the thread is now up! Let's Read!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Can anyone give me a TL;DR on the Red Queen series? I'm not really worried about the plot/character content, as I can get that from wikipedia at the level of detail I need, but it would be helpful to know if there's anything noteworthy about the series's ideology, fandom, etc. Does "I'm a really big fan of the Red Queen series" imply anything about a person the way that, say Left Behind does?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i had a much long and meaner original response prepared that i can supply on request.

but i would say you should see if you actually like the books first without preemptively worrying about how you will be perceived for having read them.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CommonShore posted:

Does "I'm a really big fan of the Red Queen series" imply anything about a person the way that, say Left Behind does?
Yes, but perhaps not in the specific way you're anticipating.

ed: For whatever it's worth, ideologically, this sort of YA schlock is one of the most capitalist types of literature ever invented.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 27, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tree Goat posted:

i had a much long and meaner original response prepared that i can supply on request.

but i would say you should see if you actually like the books first without preemptively worrying about how you will be perceived for having read them.

I'm not planning to read them. I'm dealing with a situation where someone made reference to them as important and I'm trying to ascertain what that means.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CommonShore posted:

I'm not planning to read them. I'm dealing with a situation where someone made reference to them as important and I'm trying to ascertain what that means.

weird. they are, afaik, paint-by-the-numbers YA shlock, so i can't imagine feeling much one way or the other about them

there's "red queen theory" (and a book based on it) that both evo psych weirdos and PUA/incel weirdos talk about, is that the red queen book they meant? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Queen:_Sex_and_the_Evolution_of_Human_Nature

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tree Goat posted:

weird. they are, afaik, paint-by-the-numbers YA shlock, so i can't imagine feeling much one way or the other about them

there's "red queen theory" (and a book based on it) that both evo psych weirdos and PUA/incel weirdos talk about, is that the red queen book they meant? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Queen:_Sex_and_the_Evolution_of_Human_Nature

No it's very much definitely the fantasy series, and all I need really to know is if it has some weird and toxic fandom, which can be a hard thing to determine via google.

If it helps to take the mystique out of my request, this is a writer of fiction who cited the series as important to them.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
huh. weird

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Are they a bad writer?

e: A quick Google tells me the Red Queen series is "BookTok" literature, so it must have a toxic fandom.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 27, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Are they a bad writer?

e: A quick Google tells me the Red Queen series is "BookTok" literature, so it must have a toxic fandom.

They're a young writer and I'd rather not say more. There's a reason I'm being circumspect. But I guess I've figured out what I needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ohhh I only just now remembered what Left Behind even was lmao. Now the question makes a lot more sense.