Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I dislike the melee quest, because I find the company of heroes largely awful (except Brayflox) and would have been more interested in learning details about the pirates rather than the CoH. I also dislike their captain and how young he is feels absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Melee is saved by getting to fight with the best city state leader

TheWorldsaStage posted:

My one critic of the EW quests is we didn't end up with permanent access to the offices of the leaders

"Warrior of Light, Hero of Heroes, Savior of all the Everything... I have a lot of paperwork to finish so get out of my office" and then it kicks you out

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

My one critic of the EW quests is we didn't end up with permanent access to the offices of the leaders

It's still wild to me that we can't get past a certain rank with the grand companies. I mean, I know we outgrew them ages ago, but still, it'd be nice for them to at least give us an honorary promotion.
Granted, I feel the same way about an Archon tattoo. Pretty sure we earned our PhD in Kicking rear end and Saving The World.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

the_steve posted:

It's still wild to me that we can't get past a certain rank with the grand companies. I mean, I know we outgrew them ages ago, but still, it'd be nice for them to at least give us an honorary promotion.
Granted, I feel the same way about an Archon tattoo. Pretty sure we earned our PhD in Kicking rear end and Saving The World.

Sharlayan doesn't give out honorary PhD's, you have to give the thesis presentation.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

Sharlayan doesn't give out honorary PhD's, you have to give the thesis presentation.

Can I just fight the snake instead.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I guess the player could get a rank of honorary punchman/punchwoman in a grand company but really the higher ranks in them are probably reserved for people who are there as a full time job. Otherwise you get a Skyrim situation where you end up in charge of an organisation that you basically only ever visit now and again

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Honestly the system in general feels sorta weird these days, like the political implications of one nation having the modern Warrior of Light under their banner are funny. I know as a player it's just "I want the number to go up" or thinking one of the nations is the coolest and wanting to rep that, but I imagine in-universe the WoL understands that it'd be a weird look to be one of the heads of Ul'Dahs military.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Loporrit spoilers did we just make rabbit Fraiser?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Azubah posted:

Loporrit spoilers did we just make rabbit Fraiser?
who knows, they could end up being rabbit Joe Rogan

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Countblanc posted:

Honestly the system in general feels sorta weird these days, like the political implications of one nation having the modern Warrior of Light under their banner are funny. I know as a player it's just "I want the number to go up" or thinking one of the nations is the coolest and wanting to rep that, but I imagine in-universe the WoL understands that it'd be a weird look to be one of the heads of Ul'Dahs military.

Yeah remember when we fought for Ishgard in that friendly battle? The other leaders were taken aback to see the wol under the Ishgard standard. Good thing they didn't take it the wrong way

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Qwertycoatl posted:

I guess the player could get a rank of honorary punchman/punchwoman in a grand company but really the higher ranks in them are probably reserved for people who are there as a full time job. Otherwise you get a Skyrim situation where you end up in charge of an organisation that you basically only ever visit now and again

While it wouldn't make sense to become Marshal since that job is already taken in all the GCs, we could just skip straight to the top rank, "[Company] Champion," which seems tailor made for the strongest person on the planet

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lord_Magmar posted:

PVP content where you have to give it in front of 71 random players and they get to vote whether you get your tats or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

PVP content where you have to give it in front of 71 random players and they get to vote whether you get your tats or not.

The Eorzea Dissertation (ULTIMATE)

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Countblanc posted:

Honestly now you're just reminding me of Eragon since that was a plot point several times.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I dislike the melee quest, because I find the company of heroes largely awful (except Brayflox) and would have been more interested in learning details about the pirates rather than the CoH. I also dislike their captain and how young he is feels absurd.

That's wild to me. I loved every bit of the melee quest. Thought it was fantastic start to finish.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I hated most of the Company of Heroes, but getting a chance to boss them around was awesome. Look at me. I am the captain now.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I liked it better than Caster but less than Tank.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

I have a feeling the wol delivering a thesis on kicking rear end would look a lot like that Kate Beaton comic with the WWI pilot. "Just win every fight. It's not even hard unless you're imagining the bullshit the Minstrel comes up with. Any questions?"

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Theris posted:

I have a feeling the wol delivering a thesis on kicking rear end would look a lot like that Kate Beaton comic with the WWI pilot. "Just win every fight. It's not even hard unless you're imagining the bullshit the Minstrel comes up with. Any questions?"

"Just inherit the soul of one of the most badass beings to have ever existed and then get chosen by God. Its not that hard, I don't know why the rest of you keep losing."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The tank role quest is the only one where the story fell completely flat for me.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I loved that Captain Planet poo poo!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's not captain planet poo poo. Captain planet loves to actually show up and help. Nobody has to beg captain planet to do the bare minimum to hold up his end of the deal.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's not captain planet poo poo. Captain planet loves to actually show up and help. Nobody has to beg captain planet to do the bare minimum to hold up his end of the deal.

Zen we fundamentally disagree about Gridania and the elementals, :shrug:

You always see outright spite and malice from these nature spirits

E: I'm sorry it's been a minute, but wasn't a big part of that questline that the elementals had lost faith in man because they had done what amounted to jack poo poo for the forest in a long time? I'm gonna read through that quest lines script right now, I'm too rusty to argue finer points

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Mar 26, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

TheWorldsaStage posted:

E: I'm sorry it's been a minute, but wasn't a big part of that questline that the elementals had lost faith in man because they had done what amounted to jack poo poo for the forest in a long time? I'm gonna read through that quest lines script right now, I'm too rusty to argue finer points

The elementals feel that way but there's literally no text in this game that actually shows that to be true because every single questline related to Gridania is about putting things in balance and fixing poo poo when it goes out of wack or making sure it doesn't go out of wack. That's why you bring the heads of the city out to the tree that's the site of the accord and basically go "We're doing our part and we're trying to keep everyone safe. Please do your part."

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

I hated most of the Company of Heroes

that's all there was to me in that set of quests. Man gently caress those guys

e: company of heroes are way worse than the elementals in my book

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I was god drat stoked to see Brayflox and the gang again :colbert:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Chillgamesh posted:

I was god drat stoked to see Brayflox and the gang again :colbert:

Brayflox is the only good one and she's barely in the questline, instead we meet the captain who is just not the character I would've wanted him to be visually at minimum.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

The elementals are a cool idea but the Shroud would be better off if I killed them

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

EW tank quests had the best final fight bar none.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Brayflox is the only good one and she's barely in the questline, instead we meet the captain who is just not the character I would've wanted him to be visually at minimum.

Wrong

Ibblebibble posted:

And wrong. The melee quest being this kind of joyous reunion where you get to see everyone shine and do bits and even the local beast tribe turns and joins in to aid you as a culmination of all the writing about the region for the last 2 expacs rules and is way better than the boring tank fight were you sometimes tank hits together.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The melee quest being this kind of joyous reunion where you get to see everyone shine and do bits and even the local beast tribe turns and joins in to aid you as a culmination of all the writing about the region for the last 2 expacs rules [...]

Especially the part where if you think you only need to be in the NPC safety zone there when the attack goes off you die because the bubble already went out and have to do the whole thing over again.

If you're going to have instalose stuff at the end of a long segment add a checkpoint.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Bruceski posted:

Especially the part where if you think you only need to be in the NPC safety zone there when the attack goes off you die because the bubble already went out and have to do the whole thing over again.

If you're going to have instalose stuff at the end of a long segment add a checkpoint.

I don't mean this rudely, but every single solo instance and role-play instance has NPCs yelling out in big pop ups exactly what to do.

This is a skill issue.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

there is no context in which the words "skill issue" are not rude

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

Anything that reminds tanks they can interrupt casts is good since 90% of them never do

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Melee fight was too long, repetitive, and way easier than the others to boot. Like doing Sastasha in single pulls, including all the side rooms.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't mean this rudely, but every single solo instance and role-play instance has NPCs yelling out in big pop ups exactly what to do.

This is a skill issue.

The NPC saying "stand with me" does his safety cast a while before the attack goes off. Every other case in the game is "stand there when the attack goes off".

Edit: just looked it up, it even says "10 seconds to Extinction Flare" when you only have 5 seconds to get to the safe zone.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 26, 2023

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Zen we fundamentally disagree about Gridania and the elementals, :shrug:

You always see outright spite and malice from these nature spirits

The elementals are on the same intellectual level as toddlers.
They are big powerful babies.

The Speakers are the nannies whose fulltime job is translating a bunch of screaming and crying into "I scraped my knee and also I want a purple juicebox." and everything revolves around appeasing them and making sure they don't throw a tantrum that will destroy a village.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It's also worth noting that the Elementals do a lot of good in terms of protecting the Shroud and helping it grow, we just don't see a whole lot of it because it's not very compelling to a game primarily about fightinfg things to learn that crops are growing well and that invaders have a hard time getting in.

Without the Elementals the Shroud would've been felled three or four times over just in the events described by the game alone.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
oh boy look at the time it's Elementals O'clock again
all we need is Nophica to give the Elementals the ability to talk properly. instead of having to curse teenagers into interpreting their voices and then banishing them for acting out of turn because they're so loving fickle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zeruel posted:

oh boy look at the time it's Elementals O'clock again
all we need is Nophica to give the Elementals the ability to talk properly. instead of having to curse teenagers into interpreting their voices and then banishing them for acting out of turn because they're so loving fickle.

My next video is about the question of 'why don't we kill the Elementals', so I am overly prepared for this argument this time!

The Elementals not being able to talk is the fault of a particular Ancient; he made them to communicate by aether, for reasons never explained to us (I've seen the notion it might've been for long-distance or overly complex communication). Also the Elementals actually aren't fickle at all, they've actually been extremely consistent throughout all their appearances! They're just also extremely inflexible and react badly to trees getting hosed up; all the worst things they've ever done have been as a result of someone maliciously cutting down/burning a tree.